HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Ontario > Hamilton > Downtown & City of Hamilton

Old Posted Jan 24, 2011, 8:17 PM
It's Hammer Time

Plan is to have Ticats play at McMaster's Ron Joyce Stadium during construction of Ivor Wynne; add 10,000 temp seats.

Old Posted Jan 24, 2011, 8:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mattgrande View Post
Any idea which other projects are projected to go over?
The Toronto costs have nearly doubled to $96 million for their venues being constructed/updated in TO. The Scarborough pool venue is responsible for the biggest increase, with land remediation costs adding $23 million to the construction of the pools.

Old Posted Jan 24, 2011, 8:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by markbarbera View Post
The Toronto costs have nearly doubled to $96 million for their venues being constructed/updated in TO. The Scarborough pool venue is responsible for the biggest increase, with land remediation costs adding $23 million to the construction of the pools.
$23 Million for remediation? That makes West Harbour sound like a steal!

Old Posted Jan 24, 2011, 8:48 PM

... or it can be seen as a stark example of the kind of surprises that we would have been subjected to if the old WH proposal went forward.

Old Posted Jan 24, 2011, 9:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SteelTown View Post
Plan is to have Ticats play at McMaster's Ron Joyce Stadium during construction of Ivor Wynne; add 10,000 temp seats.
Have they said how long the construction is supposed to take?

Old Posted Jan 24, 2011, 10:31 PM

I believe the plan is to start construction May 2012 and have it ready for May 2014. Two seasons outside of IWS.

BTW it looks like council just voted to kill the scaled-back WH option.

Old Posted Jan 24, 2011, 10:42 PM

Main motion by Ferguson to receive report, rescind WH, and notify Hostco that IWS is the site of choice with max municipal contribution of $45 million passes council 10-6.

Of course this is a motion at the General Issues Committee meeting and still subject to ratification at the next Council meeting. Let's see what happens with the funding gap.

Old Posted Jan 25, 2011, 6:18 AM
"Pow! Right in the kissa"

All I have to say is this...

http://www.theglobeandmail.com/news/...rticle1881605/

I guess we missed the boat?

Old Posted Jan 25, 2011, 2:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by markbarbera View Post
Infrastructure Ontario is sole source for venues and is pushing the pricetag up incredibly on building these venues. Who's the watchdog for this agency?
Very good question. Anyone know the answer?

Old Posted Jan 25, 2011, 10:00 PM
Honored Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by c@taract_soulj@h View Post
Thanks for posting this link. I would like to post it in the Halifax section also as there has been an ongoing discussion about building a stadium.

Old Posted Jan 27, 2011, 12:58 AM
It's Hammer Time

Stadium shortfall closer to $10 million than $40 million, source says

The shortfall for the proposed Ivor Wynne Stadium renovation is closer to $10 million than $40 million, and the province is willing to put up the extra funding, a source tells The Spectator.

Requesting anonymity because they were not authorized to speak on the issue, the source said the cost estimates for overhauling the east-end stadium include a hefty contingency and the actual cost of building the stadium is much lower than $159.1 million forwarded by Infrastructure Ontario ? and so is the funding gap of $38.6 million.

City staff is scheduled to report to council Thursday morning on the progress of discussions between the city, the Hamilton Tiger-Cats and representatives from the provincial and federal government.

City council voted Monday to cap its contribution at $45 million while upper levels of government have committed a combined $70 million. A city report suggests $5 million can be generated via a naming-rights fee.

Councillor Lloyd Ferguson has been challenging the Infrastructure Ontario numbers since they were unveiled to council Monday. He says per-seat costs for the Ivor Wynne project are wildly inflated compared to previously proposed West Harbour and East Mountain stadium projects and other stadiums of similar size.

“My issue is that we have the wrong estimate based on what they gave us in the past and what BMO Field cost to build,” Ferguson said Wednesday. “We should have more than enough money.”

It’s unclear, however, whether Infrastructure Ontario is willing to revise its cost estimates for the 25,000-seat Ivor Wynne project — which includes a new grandstand on the north side and improvements to the south structure — or whether the Pan Am committee would accept anything less than a fully funded plan.

City manager Chris Murray told council Monday he has received a “commitment” from the province that they will provide extra funding.

“It’s a matter of what our commitment is and then they’re going to look at what their commitment will be,” Murray said.

On Wednesday, Murray met with representatives from Infrastructure Ontario and Toronto 2015, the committee running the Pan Am Games, but was unavailable for comment.

Other city representatives, including mayor Bob Bratina, did not return calls.

Ticat owner Bob Young sent a response to questions regarding the talks via e-mail.

“I cannot talk today, or, I suspect, this week. We are in heavy discussions with all our partners, and are studying all options as I write this, so there is nothing definite about any of the answers I might give you today,” Young wrote. “We will be in touch as soon as the dust starts to settle on the outstanding issues, one way or the other.”

Sophia Aggelonitis, MPP for Hamilton Mountain and a member of Premier Dalton McGuinty’s cabinet, declined to comment through a spokesperson.

If the Hamilton stadium deal falls apart, another backup plan appears to have fallen through. Reports from Brantford indicate that city is not interested in building a smaller venue due to concerns over costs and tight timelines. Only Mississauga remains among the Plan B cities floated by Toronto 2015.

http://www.thespec.com/news/local/ar...on-source-says

Old Posted Jan 27, 2011, 8:39 PM

Get your poker faces ready....

Ticats Ottawa-bound if stadium dies: Mitchell

Paul Morse
The Hamilton Spectator
http://www.thespec.com/news/local/ar...-dies-mitchell

The Hamilton Tiger-Cats will be in Ottawa in two years if a deal to build a new hometown stadium falls through, says Ticat president Scott Mitchell.

In a question-and-answer session following a speech to a Hamilton Rotarian luncheon at the Art Gallery of Hamilton today, Mitchell said the Ticats are Ottawa-bound if the stadium deal dies.

Mitchell was asked if Ticat owner Bob Young was bluffing when he said he’d pull the CFL team out of Hamilton.

“I can tell you absolutely and unequivocally no,” Mitchell said. “Not only was he not bluffing about potentially moving the team to Burlington, if this stadium doesn’t get built and if project wasn’t going to come to fruition, I can pretty much guarantee you this team will be in Ottawa in 2013.”

Afterwards, Mitchell hastened to clarify his remarks.

“I’m very optimistic and there is no reason not to continue to get this (stadium) done … But obviously the team can’t continue to play at an obsolete stadium and not have some sort of alternative.”

Mitchell said there have been no discussions between the football team and either the city of Ottawa or people with interests in bringing a team to the nation’s capital.

“The context here is that my point today was not at all to be threatening or negative about this. The point is that I was asked if Bob was bluffing. No, he has never been bluffing, Bob is not a bluffer. He absolutely wants to have a solution in Hamilton.

Moving to Ottawa “is not something that we see as going to happen, but obviously the downside to a (stadium) not happening is not good.”

Old Posted Jan 27, 2011, 9:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by padthai View Post
Mitchell was asked if Ticat owner Bob Young was bluffing when he said he’d pull the CFL team out of Hamilton.

“I can tell you absolutely and unequivocally no,” Mitchell said. “Not only was he not bluffing about potentially moving the team to Burlington, if this stadium doesn’t get built and if project wasn’t going to come to fruition, I can pretty much guarantee you this team will be in Ottawa in 2013.”

Afterwards, Mitchell hastened to clarify his remarks.

“I’m very optimistic and there is no reason not to continue to get this (stadium) done … But obviously the team can’t continue to play at an obsolete stadium and not have some sort of alternative.”

Mitchell said there have been no discussions between the football team and either the city of Ottawa or people with interests in bringing a team to the nation’s capital.

“The context here is that my point today was not at all to be threatening or negative about this. The point is that I was asked if Bob was bluffing. No, he has never been bluffing, Bob is not a bluffer. He absolutely wants to have a solution in Hamilton.

Moving to Ottawa “is not something that we see as going to happen, but obviously the downside to a (stadium) not happening is not good.”
Ugh - While I'll grant Mitchell some benefit of the doubt due to media spin, I wouldn't have thought it possible to do a complete 180 degree bluff in the space of a single article! And no media mention of this in the Ottawa newspapers whatsoever. Given Mitchell and Young's souring PR campaign I wonder what the result would be if Hamiltonians were given a referendum on this with the following options:

1) Spend whatever we need to to keep the Cats in town at a location of their choice.
2) Demand that the Cats at least contribute something to the process. The feds, province and city will happily pick up the lion's share of the tab.
3) Demand that 40% of remaining cost after fed contribution be paid for by the Cats. Stadium at IW.
4) Demand 60% ". . . . ."
5) This whole process has been a pain in the neck. Build the damn stadium as scalable at the WH, and expand it at (largely) TiCats' expense once they come to their senses.
6) Scrap the idea of a new stadium entirely. Our FF dollars are best spent elsewhere.

My guess is that public opinion has shifted to options 3-6, while the mayor and most of council is fixated on 1-2. Pity city leaders didn't present a united negotiating front to the Cats from the outset, outlining clear expectations of what the team's financial contribution should be, and what their say in the matter of location would be. It's frankly embarrassing that the city has given the upper hand in negotiations to a team whose management is still making what appear to be utterly baseless threats of relocating. No question: The city is fully responsible here.

Old Posted Jan 27, 2011, 10:37 PM
Hammer'd

Quote:
Originally Posted by padthai View Post
Get your poker faces ready....

(what the hell scott.)
"Above all, Hamilton must learn to think like a city, not a suburban hybrid where residents drive everywhere. What makes Hamilton interesting is the fact it's a city. The sprawl that surrounds it, which can be found all over North America, is running out of time."

Old Posted Jan 27, 2011, 10:57 PM
Honored Member

That is both the best poker face and best cat picture that I have ever seen.

Old Posted Jan 27, 2011, 11:32 PM
Bruatalism gets no respec

bye bye West Harbour. Thanks Fred for buying a toxic brownfield for us and wasting 10mil on reports, mediators and buying people's houses.

I told you guys a year ago that there was never a chance that the stadium would be built there. or I think I said a 5% chance WH will be the site.

Now let's get on with Setting Sail plan. What WH should be... mixed-use neighbourhood and retail.

Old Posted Jan 28, 2011, 12:21 AM

Another threat.

Just leave already, I'm tired of these ass-clowns. I'm sure you'll get a lot of support in Ottawa.

Old Posted Jan 28, 2011, 1:23 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Berklon View Post
Another threat.

Just leave already, I'm tired of these ass-clowns. I'm sure you'll get a lot of support in Ottawa.
I do not like Scott Mitchell and I would be happy to see him leave, but I definitely want to see the Tiger-Cats stay.

Old Posted Jan 28, 2011, 2:11 AM

The TiCats need to stop making threats, even the most die hard fans can only take so much...

Old Posted Jan 28, 2011, 2:19 AM

Bye bye

So go to Ottawa, they have fallen on their ass at least twice already.
Put up or shut up.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Ontario > Hamilton > Downtown & City of Hamilton