HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada

Old Posted Jan 31, 2016, 4:13 PM
New Brunswick booster!

I loved visiting Newfoundland back in 2013. It was on business but we squeezed in as much tourist stuff at night as we could in St. John's.

Old Posted Jan 31, 2016, 6:45 PM
Wildcats Rule!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trevor3 View Post
Newfoundland's newest colour drenched tourism ad. This one is great as it shows some places off the beaten path like Rose Blanche, Black Duck Brook, and Flower's Cove rather than the same images of the same dozen or so communities around St. John's that appear in every other ad. First 45 seconds seem mostly from western NL, the second 45 seconds is from the Avalon.

Video Link
That's a terrific commercial!!

It's been getting a lot of airplay on TV here in NB over the last several weeks. The song suits the commercial perfectly too.

Old Posted Jan 31, 2016, 8:10 PM
ハルウララ

I've been to Rose Blanche, it's spectacular and i'd recommend it. It's just in the middle of nowhere and quite a drive from...even more in the middle of nowhere.

I prefer the older Newfoundland commercials personally, but I see they kept my favourite part...the blowing flowers in the logo.

Old Posted Jan 31, 2016, 10:32 PM
Ham-burgher

Gorgeous video ad for Newfoundland. Beautiful.

Old Posted Apr 2, 2016, 4:19 PM
BANNED

A great victory for newfoundland tourism.

http://www.bbc.com/news/magazine-35935725

The greatest part is I own land right near this hehehehe.

Nah seriously viking history gets alot of attention and now we have a very suitable tourism angle for the country.

Old Posted Apr 2, 2016, 4:42 PM
BANNED

For those that are afraid to read the article the province now has another norse settlement site. This is great news as this site is only 30 minutes from the ferry to cape breton.

Old Posted Apr 2, 2016, 5:01 PM
I ♣ Baby Seals

Moved to this thread, Stryker - hope you don't mind.

Old Posted Apr 2, 2016, 5:42 PM
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by SignalHillHiker View Post
Moved to this thread, Stryker - hope you don't mind.
I sorta do as it's not just a tourism thing, it's a huge thinger for the canadian identity, as well as our place in history of the globe.

It makes Columbus look like a bigger piece of shit than ever.

I mean this vinland thing has been rewriting history decades we've simply reached a higher level of history being rewritten.

Old Posted Apr 2, 2016, 5:49 PM
BANNED

Quote:
Newfoundland's newest colour drenched tourism ad. This one is great as it shows some places off the beaten path like Rose Blanche, Black Duck Brook, and Flower's Cove rather than the same images of the same dozen or so communities around St. John's that appear in every other ad. First 45 seconds seem mostly from western NL, the second 45 seconds is from the Avalon.

Video Link
Lol this is gonna be getting so much heat for the west coast with vikings being found.

I know some of ya'll aren't obsessed with this shit as I am, but for me I grew up thinking about vikings, every since I learned about them in grade 2 social studies.

Nothing more magical to a 8 year old than the concept of norsemen exploring the lands in which you grew up in.

Old Posted Apr 2, 2016, 8:09 PM
Wildcats Rule!!

Actually, this second Viking site is huge!!!

If this pans out, it proves that the Vikings actually colonized North America; at least briefly. l'Anse-aux-Meadows just proved that the Vikings had reached NA, but perhaps had established nothing more than a temporary outpost that might have lasted a season or two (a bit like us visiting the moon but never going back).

Point Rosee is at the SW extremity of Newfoundland, within spitting distance of Cape Breton, fully 600 km further south than l'Anse-aux-Meadows. Furthermore, initial reports indicate a "farm" and a smithy (bog iron), which means a settlement. If they made it this far, you can be damned sure that the Vikings also visited mainland NS, explored the Northumberland Strait, and visited at least southeastern NB. They've even found Viking artifacts in Maine!
http://www.ancient-origins.net/artif...america-020241

I just betcha that in the fullness of time, it will be proven that Vikings were present in eastern North America throughout the 11th century, and perhaps beyond.

Point Rosee could become an important National Historic Site and tourism destination.

Old Posted Apr 2, 2016, 8:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MonctonRad View Post
Is this the second Viking site discovered? I believe some evidence of a Viking presence was found on Baffin Island a few years back.

As an aside, I'm not entirely sure why Newfoundland counts as North America while Greenland - with its long-documented history of Viking settlement - does not.

Old Posted Apr 2, 2016, 8:45 PM
I ♣ Baby Seals

Yeah, it is strange - especially since they were exactly the same settlers. The guy who founded Leifsbudir (what L'Anse aux Meadows was called by the Vikings) was the son, I think, of the guy who settled Greenland. And they regularly went back and forth between the two, mostly for lumber from NL as their Greenland settlements didn't have any. There are still people with First Nations genes in Iceland, and they suspect that's from the Vikings as they can tell it arrived in Iceland "several hundred years" before 1700, or something, based on mutations.

Old Posted Apr 3, 2016, 9:20 AM

Quote:

Video Link
Stunning video. I really want to spend a summer cycling around Newfoundland.

Old Posted Apr 3, 2016, 9:24 AM

A remarkable video from Tourime Quebec. I think that it is as beautiful as the one from Newfoundland.

Video Link

The embedded link doesn't work:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jkzPcoLV3wM

Last edited by SignalHillHiker; Apr 3, 2016 at 11:10 AM. Reason: Quick edit to make video visible for bikegypsy

Old Posted Apr 3, 2016, 11:19 AM
I ♣ Baby Seals

Beautiful, bikegypsy! Love the scene with the audio of the bird's wings. And the soundtrack was excellent as well. Very cute idea also.

Quebec should do a campaign about personal discovery - not exactly like our Find Yourself Here series, but somewhere in between discovering yourself and discovering Quebec. It really is foreign enough to most anglophones in the ROC that an intimate advertisement that subconsciously reminds just how little they know about it could prove very attractive. And people who respond to commercials because they realize there's this whole world going on that they simply don't see in their daily lives and want to discover... they make great tourists.

We used to be limited pretty much to fanny pack-wearing retirees from Ontario, the Maritimes, and New England. Now we get a broad variety of tourists, including my two favourites - the wealthy elite, and recent graduates who stay weeks, even months, and sometimes even work for a while to fund their stay. I don't have any interaction with the former, of course, but their presence elevates the things on offer here - especially in terms of tourism-related facilities and annual events. Quebec already gets all kinds, but it can always get more.

Old Posted Apr 3, 2016, 12:28 PM
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by wg_flamip View Post
Is this the second Viking site discovered? I believe some evidence of a Viking presence was found on Baffin Island a few years back.

As an aside, I'm not entirely sure why Newfoundland counts as North America while Greenland - with its long-documented history of Viking settlement - does not.
Because greenland culturally isn't really considered north america.

Greenlands position in the world is pretty much defined by it being a danish realm.

This is why this kind of stuff is such an incredibly big deal.

How we define our cultural geography is being redefined by events like this.

Last edited by Stryker; Apr 3, 2016 at 12:46 PM.

Old Posted Apr 3, 2016, 1:08 PM
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by MonctonRad View Post

If this pans out, it proves that the Vikings actually colonized North America; at least briefly. l'Anse-aux-Meadows just proved that the Vikings had reached NA, but perhaps had established nothing more than a temporary outpost that might have lasted a season or two (a bit like us visiting the moon but never going back).

Point Rosee is at the SW extremity of Newfoundland, within spitting distance of Cape Breton, fully 600 km further south than l'Anse-aux-Meadows. Furthermore, initial reports indicate a "farm" and a smithy (bog iron), which means a settlement. If they made it this far, you can be damned sure that the Vikings also visited mainland NS, explored the Northumberland Strait, and visited at least southeastern NB. They've even found Viking artifacts in Maine!
http://www.ancient-origins.net/artif...america-020241

I just betcha that in the fullness of time, it will be proven that Vikings were present in eastern North America throughout the 11th century, and perhaps beyond.

Point Rosee could become an important National Historic Site and tourism destination.
For me personally it's Fing huge, I was always a huge fan of this stuff as a child.

Even if I was from another part of the country I'm a huge fan of history, especially the idea of norse explorers.

But the idea that these folk spent time 1.8 kilometers from where my grandmother's house was too is amazing to me.

Old Posted Apr 3, 2016, 5:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stryker View Post
Because greenland culturally isn't really considered north america.

Greenlands position in the world is pretty much defined by it being a danish realm.

This is why this kind of stuff is such an incredibly big deal.

How we define our cultural geography is being redefined by events like this.
Greenland is the only state or territory in North America where an indigenous group comprises a (quite large) majority of the population - that may isolate it culturally from much of the continent, but it is firmly North American nonetheless.

Old Posted Apr 3, 2016, 5:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by wg_flamip View Post
Greenland is the only state or territory in North America where an indigenous group comprises a (quite large) majority of the population - that may isolate it culturally from much of the continent, but it is firmly North American nonetheless.
I'm certain it has nothing to do with indigenous people, and everything to do with being part of Denmark.

St-Pierre et Miquelon and Greenland are both firmly non-North American because Denmark and France are both firmly non-North American. Simple as that.

Old Posted Apr 3, 2016, 6:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lio45 View Post
I'm certain it has nothing to do with indigenous people, and everything to do with being part of Denmark.

St-Pierre et Miquelon and Greenland are both firmly non-North American because Denmark and France are both firmly non-North American. Simple as that.
Are Aruba, Martinique and the Turks and Caicos not culturally Caribbean then? Did Hong Kong suddenly become culturally Asian when the British handed it over to the Chinese? Was Newfoundland more culturally North American in 1950 than it was in 1948?

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada