HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Atlantic Provinces > Halifax > Halifax Peninsula & Downtown Dartmouth

Old Posted Jan 14, 2014, 2:16 PM
Halifax Promoter!

The Armoury as a site for anything.... parking would be an issue as only on-street parking would be available.

Old Posted Jan 14, 2014, 2:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by counterfactual View Post
In NYC, they're turning the Kingsbridge Armoury in the Bronx into the world's largest public indoor skating rink:

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2013/0...n_3141672.html
Wow. Is that a NINE pad arena they are proposing in the Bronx? ... and center ice with 5000 arena seats at that. Cool. The thing that seems odd however, are the four ice surfaces on the second level. Wouldn't that be heavy? An engineering feat to be sure. Has this been done elsewhere to anyone's knowledge?

It would be fun to see something like this (albeit smaller) where the Forum is now.

EDIT: Also a bit of a loss and shortsighted that the Kingsbridge National Ice Center wouldn't include a long-track oval somewhere on that floorplate.

Old Posted Jan 14, 2014, 4:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by teddifax View Post
The Armoury as a site for anything.... parking would be an issue as only on-street parking would be available.
The armoury has a big parking lot directly to the south to accomodate the people that work there. That would be freed up if it was sold.

I could see the armoury being a market, but I think it'd be better if it wasn't a farmers market. In other words, it'd be a collection of permanent stalls that aren't forced to sell local goods. Halifax's own St. Lawrence Market. I suppose it would be kind of like a big Pete's, with many separate stall owners.

I could also see it being a pretty kickass residential conversion like have been done with some of the churches in the past. I have no clue if the economics would work out, but I think this is one of those cases where minimal exterior modifications would be ideal. Basically just fill the shell with new residential guts. How cool would it be to have a bedroom in one of those towers?

Old Posted Jan 14, 2014, 5:13 PM

It would be a great location for a market, but it wouldn't be very good for the city if it became a direct competitor to the Seaport Market (which, besides a marginally inconvenient location for pedestrians, is a gem for the city. I actually think it's better than St. Lawrence, which is way overrated.)

I guess the challenge for repurposing is twofold:

1. The exterior is currently in rough shape due to the DND's neglect. I wonder how likely they'll give it a proper facelift before divesting themselves of it? (Not too likely, I imagine).

2. Uses for a massive building with massive interior spaces is pretty limited. Hell, even Victoria Hall--a much smaller building which should be an obvious and easy condo or apartment conversion--hasn't found a buyer yet, has it.

Old Posted Jan 14, 2014, 7:32 PM

It's falling apart. Let's sell it off and let some developer doze it and start from scratch with a new and exciting high rise, should have a great view.

Old Posted Jan 14, 2014, 9:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ILoveHalifax View Post
It's falling apart. Let's sell it off and let some developer doze it and start from scratch with a new and exciting high rise, should have a great view.

Old Posted Jan 14, 2014, 9:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dmajackson View Post
There is a rumour going around that the DND will be abandoning the Armoury on North Park Street after the ones in Bedford and Willow Park are constructed. Apparently they have been doing this in other parts of Canada. The building was built in 1899 and is a National Historic Site.
I can't remember where I read this, possiblly even on a page on this site, but I believe that tenders will be or already have been called for an addition to the Armories on the southern side of the site. Doesn't sound like anyone plans to abandon it in the near future.

Old Posted Jan 14, 2014, 9:25 PM
we built this city

It should be saved regardless of use.

What the hell is this cons government doing? They wouldn't do this in Ottawa, that's for sure.

Old Posted Jan 14, 2014, 9:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Drybrain View Post
It would be a great location for a market, but it wouldn't be very good for the city if it became a direct competitor to the Seaport Market
In my mind I don't see it so much as a competitor for the Seaport as I see it as competition for Pete's. It would be more "grocery store for the North End" than "Saturday morning social activity and local produce buying".

Quote:
2. Uses for a massive building with massive interior spaces is pretty limited.
I was kind of thinking that would be the benefit of it for residential development. Basically you'd build with regular building techniques but do it inside this shell. You'd get all the beauty of a heritage building without having to do as much working around the peculiarities of heritage structures. I haven't been in there in many years though so the dimensions may not work all that well, and I suspect you would run into some of those more difficult "old building" issues as you tried to make the south side useable to modern residential standards.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ILoveHalifax
I really, truly hope you're just trolling, because it's this kind of crap that justifies the existence of the HT. Just because a building needs some investment doesn't make it a write-off, especially when it's a National Historic Site. The Armoury is a landmark and unique to Halifax, and whoever ends up being responsible for its future would be smart to capitalize on that.

Old Posted Jan 14, 2014, 9:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by IanWatson View Post
In my mind I don't see it so much as a competitor for the Seaport as I see it as competition for Pete's. It would be more "grocery store for the North End" than "Saturday morning social activity and local produce buying".
Yeah. I'm thinking of something like the Maple Leaf Gardens conversion into a Loblaws in Toronto, though I'm not sure that the population, even in central Halifax, is enough for a truly massive grocery store of Armoury-like proportions. Maybe if the building has other, smaller tenants as well, though.

Old Posted Jan 14, 2014, 10:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by visualman57 View Post
I can't remember where I read this, possiblly even on a page on this site, but I believe that tenders will be or already have been called for an addition to the Armories on the southern side of the site. Doesn't sound like anyone plans to abandon it in the near future.
That was my mistake actually. There was an article in ANS last month when the tender was issued to Bird Construction. I accidentally said it was an expansion of the North Park Street Armoury and not the Willow Park Armoury. Willow Park should be completed in 2016 and the they are issuing tenders for the Bedford Armoury. Two of the three military branches moving to Willow Park are currently housed on North Park Street so the building will effectively be abandoned in a couple of years.

It should be noted the last DND parcel to be sold is now the home of Gladstone Ridge which turned out nice so hopefully they can save the building but if not something of that quality would be great this close to Downtown.

Old Posted Jan 14, 2014, 10:41 PM

It`s an old brownstone building so of course the cladding is falling apart That`s what happens. You have 2 choices: restore the brownstone at great cost, or take if off and replace it with something that replicates it. I expect the latter is what will occur.

I think that it would make a great residential development, but I see a potential problem with windows or lack thereof.

Old Posted Jan 14, 2014, 10:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dmajackson View Post
That was my mistake actually. There was an article in ANS last month when the tender was issued to Bird Construction. I accidentally said it was an expansion of the North Park Street Armoury and not the Willow Park Armoury. Willow Park should be completed in 2016 and the they are issuing tenders for the Bedford Armoury. Two of the three military branches moving to Willow Park are currently housed on North Park Street so the building will effectively be abandoned in a couple of years.

It should be noted the last DND parcel to be sold is now the home of Gladstone Ridge which turned out nice so hopefully they can save the building but if not something of that quality would be great this close to Downtown.
To politely disagree, I kinda think Gladstone Ridge is kind've, like, a terrible building in every way!

Regardless, there's really no scenario in which demolishing the armoury building is remotely acceptable. It's a federally designated historical site of enormous national significance, and it's a major local architectural landmark.

I think Keith makes a good point that a residential conversion would be tricky due to, you know, no windows. Some kind of event or athletic space or large-large-large format retail would seem to be the solution. But retail tenants that need spaces like this are pretty few and far between.

Maybe turn half The Commons into parking and make it the world's first urban IKEA.

Old Posted Jan 14, 2014, 11:33 PM

Quote:
Maybe turn half The Commons into parking and make it the world's first urban IKEA.
Now who's trolling?

Old Posted Jan 15, 2014, 1:48 AM
Salty Town

Quote:
Yeah. I'm thinking of something like the Maple Leaf Gardens conversion into a Loblaws in Toronto, though I'm not sure that the population, even in central Halifax, is enough for a truly massive grocery store of Armoury-like proportions. Maybe if the building has other, smaller tenants as well, though.
I really hope the Armoury isn't converted to residential. The result would likely be similar to the converted church disaster on Robie St.

I think the open space should be retained for public use. Maybe they can get rid of the ugly PVC downspouts?

Ugly downspouts:
https://maps.google.ca/maps?q=maps+h...07.44,,0,11.98

Converted church disaster:
https://maps.google.ca/maps?q=maps+h...27.07,,0,-2.13

Uses:
  • farmer's market
  • high end retail
  • performing arts centre
  • hotel
  • hostel
  • concert hall
  • YMCA
  • culinary college
  • military museum
  • aquarium
  • pool/tennis facility
  • transit terminal like Grand Central or Union Station

Last edited by Empire; Jan 15, 2014 at 2:06 AM.

Old Posted Jan 15, 2014, 2:12 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Empire View Post
I really hope the Armoury isn't converted to residential. The result would likely be similar to the converted church disaster on Robie St.

[...]

Uses:
  • farmer's market
  • high end retail
  • performing arts centre
  • hotel
  • hostel
  • concert hall
  • YMCA
  • culinary college
  • military museum
  • aquarium
  • pool/tennis facility
I could see high end retail, but I'm not sure we want to draw such merchants away from street fronts like Barrington, at least at this point. Though, I suppose, better to have them at a renovated Armoury than in Dartmouth Crossing.

I mean, the thing is huge, so you could turn it into a number of things. I quite like the idea of a combined (a) performing arts centre (b) concert hall (c) retail style market; and you know, you could still have residential there, but in an attached glass tower.

Let's get Frank Gehry down here, seek out some private sector dollars, and end up with the "Four Seasons Centre of Performing Arts" (including a concert hall and museum", with design that fuses modern with the older architecture:

Old Posted Jan 15, 2014, 2:16 AM
Salty Town

Quote:

I think the open space should be retained for public use. Maybe they can get rid of the ugly PVC downspouts?

Ugly downspouts:
https://maps.google.ca/maps?q=maps+h...07.44,,0,11.98

Converted church disaster:
https://maps.google.ca/maps?q=maps+h...27.07,,0,-2.13

Uses:
  • farmer's market
  • high end retail
  • performing arts centre
  • hotel
  • hostel
  • concert hall
  • YMCA
  • culinary college
  • military museum
  • aquarium
  • pool/tennis facility
BREWERY!!

Here's what they did in Portland OR: They do almost everything right in Portland.
http://www.visitahc.org/content/gerd...ory-case-study

Old Posted Jan 15, 2014, 2:39 AM

Quote:

?? There are lots of urban Ikeas in Europe. I used to shop at one before moving here. You put the parking above or below it.

Old Posted Jan 15, 2014, 3:30 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nifta View Post
?? There are lots of urban Ikeas in Europe. I used to shop at one before moving here. You put the parking above or below it.
Forgive me--I'm incorrigibly North American.

Old Posted Jan 15, 2014, 3:41 AM

Quote:
BREWERY!!

Here's what they did in Portland OR: They do almost everything right in Portland.
http://www.visitahc.org/content/gerd...ory-case-study
I'm assuming you're trolling about the brewery.

On the Portland OR performing arts centre: beautifully done!

I'd love for them to knock the ugly roof off of the thing, and rebuild an entirely glass roof.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Atlantic Provinces > Halifax > Halifax Peninsula & Downtown Dartmouth