HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Texas & Southcentral > Austin

Old Posted Oct 21, 2020, 10:29 PM

I have heard from another reliable source Tesla is actively looking for space in Austin to relo Tesla’s HQ to Austin.

If this is true, my source said he’s “100%”, it’s huge!

Old Posted Oct 21, 2020, 10:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by urbancore View Post
I have heard from another reliable source Tesla is actively looking for space in Austin to relo Tesla’s HQ to Austin.

There is a lot of land if you combine Bae systems and the garbage fire Eightfold. Two huge properties along a brand new highway right next to each other both looking to be redeveloped.

Old Posted Oct 22, 2020, 1:26 AM

The prestige value of getting Tesla would just be so huge. It would really be a "welcome to the Majors" moment for Austin.

Old Posted Oct 22, 2020, 5:13 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by urbancore View Post

Not that it has to be the full headquarters, but Tesla should take the old Seaholm power plant and make their headquarters address as 1 Electric Avenue

Old Posted Oct 22, 2020, 7:06 AM
Resident Moron

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maximusx1 View Post
Not that it has to be the full headquarters, but Tesla should take the old Seaholm power plant and make their headquarters address as 1 Electric Avenue
The stupid city called it electric drive. Layup of a street name missed

Old Posted Oct 22, 2020, 3:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by StoOgE View Post
The stupid city called it electric drive. Layup of a street name missed
I think it's 'cause there's already an Electric Avenue elsewhere in the city lol

Old Posted Oct 22, 2020, 5:21 PM
Voice of the Modern World

Please be true!

Like the person before me said, this is a welcome to the big leagues moment.

That’s the kind of way you’re perceived if you can get an HQ like Tesla. Back in April, Elon Musk said that he was looking into moving the HQ to TX or NV. Then back in September he doubled down on it by saying that Tesla’s HQ is only in CA for the short term.

Old Posted Oct 22, 2020, 8:04 PM

https://www.bizjournals.com/austin/n...-vehicles.html

They are getting a little ahead of themselves with the electric vehicle capital of the world tagline... especially cause LA, and cities in Japan, Germany, and China are ahead but this is another HQ in the bag for Austin.

Old Posted Oct 22, 2020, 8:32 PM

if tesla moves HQ here we're hands down the EV capital of world imo

Old Posted Oct 22, 2020, 11:22 PM

Ooooorrrr, he's garnering leverage with all this defecting to Texas talk so that he can get some sort of concession that would make it feasible to stay in CA. Nah! I just looked at Tesla's Headquarter building in Palo Alto. Its a nice, sprawling structure. As with Amazon, I was hoping they would build a signature office tower dt to house their headquarters. Instead, if they do come, they will probably build a 4 or 5 story campus somewhere near the giga factory.

Old Posted Oct 23, 2020, 12:03 AM
Resident Moron

Quote:
Originally Posted by the Genral View Post
Ooooorrrr, he's garnering leverage with all this defecting to Texas talk so that he can get some sort of concession that would make it feasible to stay in CA. Nah! I just looked at Tesla's Headquarter building in Palo Alto. Its a nice, sprawling structure. As with Amazon, I was hoping they would build a signature office tower dt to house their headquarters. Instead, if they do come, they will probably build a 4 or 5 story campus somewhere near the giga factory.
100%. Companies learned from professional sports teams: pit cities against one another and get tax breaks. If that doesn't working pit burbs of those cities against one another until one bites.

Old Posted Oct 23, 2020, 1:00 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by the Genral View Post
Honestly this is why I was hoping he’d move all of his companies here — to me that’s the thing that triggers a DT tower. Otherwise, you’re right ... he snaps up Fivefold/whatever and starts to a build something sprawly.

EDIT: though I’ve gotta say, if they choose property on the East side/130 part of the world for the HQ as well, it’s just gonna spur amazing growth up and down that corridor.

Old Posted Oct 23, 2020, 1:51 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by We vs us View Post
Honestly this is why I was hoping he’d move all of his companies here — to me that’s the thing that triggers a DT tower. Otherwise, you’re right ... he snaps up Fivefold/whatever and starts to a build something sprawly.

EDIT: though I’ve gotta say, if they choose property on the East side/130 part of the world for the HQ as well, it’s just gonna spur amazing growth up and down that corridor.
Absolutely! Downtown or 130, either way it's a huge win. I'm amazed at the growth in the metro area too. Just saw a story about some $1 billion development all the way out in Leander. I'm all for Austin being the EV capital of the world. Let's do this!

Old Posted Oct 23, 2020, 2:59 AM

With all this being said, talk of relocating out of CA. did not circle around taxes or monies, but at the time, the factory in Fremont was in Covid-19 lockdown with no end in sight, so Musk started his threats of moving, because he was pissed off, and rich enough to do so. If you all recall, Musk thought the whole covid-19 thing was a hoax, at least at the time. Shortly after his minor meltdown and threats to leave, the lockdown was lifted and Musk's threats to take his business elsewhere subsided. I believe they are currently in 'wait and see' mode of how they are going to be treated in the near future. Also consider that Musk had his HQ built. It would be foolish to think he would just up and abandon the HQ in CA unless he had a buyer interested in it, which is unlikely due to the fact that he is basically throwing a hissy fit over what he considers ridiculous over reach by CA health officials, and a buyer for his HQ could take months, maybe years to find, not overnight if he spontaneously decides to move. And he would still have to pay CA taxes and maintenance costs on a large empty building until its bought, pay a ton on relocations and new HQ construction costs, at a time when he is paying billions on several new huge factories while also allocating money to his space endeavors. If moving his headquarters was cost effective and easy, then a move here would seem more plausible. So as long as he gets his way, he isn't going anywhere, and until its official, any talk of relocating the HQ here is just rhetoric on his end.

Last edited by the Genral; Oct 23, 2020 at 3:56 AM.

Old Posted Oct 23, 2020, 4:16 AM

I don’t think it’s a threat. Musk has 4 companies. Tesla, SpaceX, NueraLink, and the Boring Company.

3 of those 4 are now in TX. The 3 that are in TX have a presence in Central TX. All of them except the Boring Co. are in TX. And Musk clearly has affinity to TX. He lives most of the year in the RGV at Boca Chica Beach where he’s deeply involved in the Starship development. He even filed for a TX drivers license.

He’s not making a threat. He legitimately wants out. Elon isn’t the make empty threats type. He’s not Jeff Bezos. He does what he says.

Also Austin has plenty of tall buildings going up. But you know what Austin doesn’t have enough of? F500 HQs. So even if Tesla HQ is like 2 stories next to the factory I’m good with that. I just want the fucking HQ. Someone else can gobble DT ATX office space in a tower or something. I just want Tesla’s HQ. Don’t care how many floors or how sprawled their HQ is. I just want that in ATX.

https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.lat...ia%3f_amp=true

Old Posted Oct 23, 2020, 6:59 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by N90 View Post
He’s not making a threat. He legitimately wants out. Elon isn’t the make empty threats type. He’s not Jeff Bezos. He does what he says.

https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.lat...ia%3f_amp=true
This doesn't explain why they haven't made an official announcement yet. The Officials who locked down his Freemont factory succumbed to his threats to leave if they didn't allow his factory to reopen does however. I doubt they would have budged if he didn't threaten to leave if they didn't. I'm sorry but I can't think of a word that better describes the situation. Discontinue the lockdown on my factory or else. Sounds like a threat to me. Just wondering, when you say he legitimately wants out of CA, was that pre or post Covid-19? I saw an interview with Musk when he stated he thought it was a hoax, and was really pissed off because at the time, he was under the impression that the lockdown would be mandated until a vaccine was available. Now that Musk's demands have been met, there's no hurry. This is pretty much old news, sometime last April I think. It didn't take more than a week for them to comply. Regarding Musk applying for a TXDL, he can afford to commute between Austin and his HQ in CA. By making Austin his permanent address, he could save millions in taxes on his personal income. I see most if not all of you really want this HQ here. I may be the only one here who is HQ neutral. We did get a huge factory out of Tesla along with decent paying jobs for a bunch of ordinary people. I guess the only way I could get excited about getting Tesla's HQ is if it meant there would be a nice tall signature tower along with it.

Last edited by the Genral; Oct 23, 2020 at 7:38 AM.

Old Posted Oct 23, 2020, 12:54 PM

I think the signature urban tower era is gone with the wind. Possibly they could end up with campus uptown/domain are. the # of people working at the hq making high six figured would probably not want to commute to a campus east of the airport.

i think elon wants out for the same reasons hundreds if not thousands of other companies are fleeing CA. I don't see utility of armchair psychologist here when the writing is all over the wall

Old Posted Oct 23, 2020, 1:56 PM

Just to remind you guys, there is a long pending rezone along the 183 south toll project that would put build 3 400' towers and it's right next to another large industrial complex looking for redevelopment. It seems really like the perfect location.

Old Posted Oct 23, 2020, 2:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by freerover View Post
Just to remind you guys, there is a long pending rezone along the 183 south toll project that would put build 3 400' towers and it's right next to another large industrial complex looking for redevelopment. It seems really like the perfect location.
where exactly is this? 200-400' is a height that i think will become a lot more sought after... much to the chagrin of this forum.

Old Posted Oct 23, 2020, 3:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lonewolf View Post
where exactly is this? 200-400' is a height that i think will become a lot more sought after... much to the chagrin of this forum.
along 183, east of the frontage road, just on the south side of Techni Center. It's 4 400' buildings but still needs to pass on all 3 readings in city council. The ownership situation is just a mess. On the north side of TC is Bae Systems which is moving and their land is being redeveloped as well.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Texas & Southcentral > Austin