HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Global Projects & Construction > City Compilations

Old Posted Sep 24, 2020, 1:56 PM
somewhere in-between

Hello! Here are a couple of updates around Kalamazoo:

1. Haymarket Plaza

Work is moving along on the Haymarket Plaza (the reimagined alley in-between the existing Main Street East Building and the new 180 E Water St. development). Frankly, I'm surprised it is moving this fast. They must be trying to get all of the concrete work done before cold weather sets in. CSM posted a photo on their LinkedIn account. This will strengthen the small but unique alley culture that the downtown has been developing over the years, joining destinations like Bates Alley, Whiskey Alley, Farmers Alley, and Exchange Place.

Quote:
Once complete, Haymarket Plaza - a new downtown Kalamazoo destination - will include a pair of seven-story projection screens, decorative concrete, landscape-form furniture, specialty lighting, a snow-melt system, and an open area designed for entertainment events.

2. WMU New Student Center & Dining Facility

Walbridge Group (CM) shared some interesting photos on their Instagram account yesterday of the final pour for the new student center & dining facility at WMU. The structural design of the floor is a "voided biaxial slab" which involves the use of many small, hollow balls that result in a lighter structure and increased + irregular column spacing. They look like large, colored golf balls, though I'm not sure of the significance of the different colors - differently sized voids, loads... just random? Anyway, pretty neat!

3. City of Kalamazoo - Downtown Zoning

The downtown zoning revamp continues with a virtual town hall tonight (September 24, 2020 - Live on Youtube), followed by a Planning Commission Review on October 1, 2020 (also will be cast on Youtube). This process is moving along at a fairly brisk clip, and it will be interesting to hear how satisfied the public is with the final plan in the coming months. Draft documents can be viewed here.

Source

4. Updated Downtown Aerial Drone Footage

've been searching (hoping) that someone out there would do some new drone photography of downtown, since it has changed so much recently. And then I stumbled across @whiskeyalphadelta's Instagram account. Here are two views of the city center, taken on the first evening of Fall, 2020. The first view is the portion of downtown that lies North of Michigan Ave. and the second view is the portion that is south of Michigan Ave. If you know where you are looking, you can spot every major downtown infill development from the past few years, including The Exchange, 180 E. Water St., 400 Rose, and the Hilton Hotels. Great views!

Old Posted Oct 3, 2020, 7:44 PM
somewhere in-between

Quote:
Portage breaks ground on new community senior center
Lindsay Moore | MLive
September 24, 2020

PORTAGE, MI -- Portage’s new community senior center moved into its construction phase on Thursday, Sept. 24. The Charles & Lynn Zhang Portage Community Senior Center is an $11 million project located at 203 East Centre Ave. behind the city’s current senior center. The city of Portage has agreed to match a public donation goal of $5.5 million for the new facility. The public fundraising campaign was accelerated by the Zhangs' $2 million donation in September...
I hope this turns out better than these chaotic-looking renderings.

Source: MLive | Joel Bissell

Source: AVB | Courtesy Byce & Associates

Source: Portage Community Senior Center

Old Posted Oct 3, 2020, 8:49 PM
somewhere in-between

The rain finally went away and the sun came out today. I counted 9 cranes scattered around the Kalamazoo skyline while walking around downtown.

First, I didn't realize that the Harrison Circle project had started, let alone that it was this far along. The prefab. concrete structure on this one is interesting -

A new rendering of Harrison Circle slipped under my radar. I spotted this on AVB's website today -

It is very much in keeping with the pseudo-industrial, loft-style developments in the surrounding Rivers Edge district. It looks... nominally better than the earlier, 4-story version -

I spotted the glazing contractors installing some of the "showpiece" windows on the corner of 180 E. Water St. These are reminiscent of the Little Caesar's HQ pizza slice windows in Detroit. I love the exterior materials on this one -

You can see it peeking out above the smaller buildings along W. Michigan Ave. -

Haymarket Plaza -

Old Posted Oct 3, 2020, 8:53 PM
somewhere in-between

(continued from previous post)

The Hilton Hotel projects are progressing rapidly. It looks like the terra cotta details on the former Masonic building have been cleaned and restored. The colors really pop now. Finishes are far along on the Home2 Suites portion, and the sky bridge appears mostly complete, although the road remains closed beneath it -

One can get a good view of this project from the top of the Radisson parking deck, not to mention the blocks to the west. The new county parking lot is nearly complete. The space in-between this lot and the hotels will eventually be the new justice complex. That project will help fill a major void and connect potential future developments further west to downtown -

You can also get a decent view of 180 E. Water St. from the top of the Radisson parking deck, as well as the Graphic Packaging International expansion. Also, it was just great weather for a general skyline shot. Lastly, you can spot the four cranes that are a part of the new WMU Student Center, off in the distance to the west -

We end with some closer-up views of the WMU student center. In the last photo, you can spot the opening in the floor plate that will visually connect multiple levels of the building -

Old Posted Oct 4, 2020, 1:36 PM
somewhere in-between

Byce & Associates posted a progress video two weeks ago of the Advia Credit Union project. I think it's growing on me... the interior lobby space looks like it will be pretty cool, and the exterior finishes are well-selected and actually have some complexity. I keep wishing this thing was in the heart of downtown though, as opposed to in a field next to a Meijer. I'll hopefully get to tour this in November.

Video Link

Old Posted Oct 4, 2020, 4:42 PM
somewhere in-between

The notorious Econo Lodge in Battle Creek is finally history. This place was plagued by years of illicit activities, then a lawsuit, and finally, a suspicious fire. The demolition cost is $90,000, paid for out of the $2.4 million insurance settlement that the motel owners received.

According to this article,

Quote:
...Police had to go to the motel 475 times from January 2018 to February 2019[!]
Read More:

Quote:
Final Chapter for Battle Creek's Econo Lodge and Attic Lounge
95.3 WBCK News Talk Radio
October 1, 2020
In an alternate universe, this could have been restored as a cool, retro-style motel. But alas, now it will become a grassy lot.

Source: 95.3 WBCK News Talk Radio | TSM Photo

Old Posted Oct 5, 2020, 4:08 PM
somewhere in-between

The Boys & Girls Club of Greater Kalamazoo is eyeing several prominent parcels for expanding their presence in the city. The site, located at the intersection of E Vine and Portage Streets, is comprised of four parcels, several of which were recently cleared - 825 and 847 Portage Street + 720 and 726 E. Vine Street. Most recently, it was home to Grapevine Furniture. B&G Club plans to build a new, 2-story Community Service Center here.

This could be a good anchor organization in an area that is lacking cohesion and walkability. The site is more or less a no-man's land, positioned in-between Downtown, South Town, the Vine Neighborhood, and the Edison Neighborhood (although I think it technically lies within Edison). It's sort of industrial, sort of residential, sort of commercial, sort of open space. There are busy roads and train tracks nearby. The area has born decades of decline, demolitions, and disinvestments. It has higher poverty and crime (I feel like every time I say this about an area of Kalamazoo, there happens to be a police vehicle in the street view). Only recently has new development centered around Washington Square - the small commercial center of the Edison neighborhood) - spurred greater interest and reflected a renewed effort to stabilize the area.

A Special Use permit is required for such a function in the current M-1 district. This went before the Planning Commission at their September 2020 meeting, and I'm assuming it passed, under recommendation from the commission. There's no publicly shared massing yet, but I'm glad to see it will at least be 2 stories and stay fairly close to the lot lines along Portage and Vine.

Old Posted Oct 7, 2020, 10:22 PM
somewhere in-between

Here are some recent photos of the new Hilton Garden Inn, which is set to open soon - November 9, 2020. From their Facebook page. The connected Home2 Suites is slated to open May 2021.

Also, a video montage of photos throughout the construction process.

Source

Source

Source

Source

Source

Source

Source

Source

Source

Old Posted Oct 9, 2020, 4:59 PM
somewhere in-between

1. Bronson Park Updates

2+ years after being removed and placed in storage, the bronze children statues have returned to Bronson Park. New concrete bases were constructed for them. They previously sat on plinths in a fountain that was demolished and replaced with grass. The statue series were created in the 1970's sculptor Kirk Newman, to commemorate the country's bicentennial and they were originally dedicated on July 4, 1976. The full title is “When Justice and Mercy Prevail, Children May Safely Play.” Kirk has since passed on; his work seems to have a theme of groups of people / children.

Source: MLive

There have been several other recent changes in the park, as part of ongoing implementation of a newer masterplan. A new honor walk that reorganizes the parks many monuments, plaques, and historic paraphernalia into one central area on the east end of the park was recently completed. There are ongoing plans to further stabilize, protect, and highlight a Native American burial mound in the south-west area of the park. And these display signs were erected earlier this year -

Quote:
New signage comes to Bronson Park
Joel Bissell | MLive
May 1, 2020

Source: Joel Bissell | MLive

2. Northside Tiny Houses Delayed

Phase 1 of the Northside tiny house project is delayed. Groundbreaking was supposed to be yesterday. No reason for why, apart from "logistical issues' related to zoning. The issue really should be that these homes are better suited to a less prominent commercial intersection, almost anywhere else on the Northside -

Quote:
Tiny house project in Kalamazoo delayed
Rachel Glaser | WWMT News Channel 3
October 8, 2020

Source

3. Heritage Community of Kalamazoo / Revel Creek Development / 500 Golden Drive

It was announced yesterday that Ziegler Group, the investment bank that is backing the Heritage Community Of Kalamazoo's planned housing development, successfully closed on the Series 2020AB Bonds. It's an important step towards constructing the 60 independent living units to be located in a new 3/4-story residential structure on their campus off of Portage Street, dubbed "Revel Creek".

Here's a reminder of what it will look like -

4. Zoetis Expansion

Lastly, Zoetis is asking for a 48 million dollar, 12-year-long tax exemption, in exchange for an already-under-construction, 94 million dollar expansion to their operations on E. Kilgore Rd. (just north of the airport). The work includes a new 41,000 SF building that will add space for new production lines for new products and create an estimated 22 new jobs. There's a City Commission hearing scheduled for October 19.

Seems like a lot of tax-exemption money. And why are they doing this now, when the building is already under construction?

Quote:
Zoetis asks for tax exemption for $94M expansion in Kalamazoo
Jeana Gondek | WKZO
October 6, 2020

Old Posted Oct 22, 2020, 2:03 AM
somewhere in-between

I've got a Loo in Kalamazoo! First Portland Loo installation in the city, from today. Interesting location, right on the edge of this parking lot, across Water St. from the Arcadia Festival Site, and almost directly adjacent to the KVCC Center for New Media Building and the new 180 E Water St. development -

Source: Instagram | ar_haan

Speaking of 180 E. Water St. - the tower crane finally came down Tuesday. Here is one final look at it, a video CSM shared on LinkedIn. Also, the below photo, taken Monday, before disassembly began -

Source: LinkedIn | CSM Group

Old Posted Oct 23, 2020, 12:36 AM
somewhere in-between

Advia Credit Union HQ is cruising along. Pretty much fully-enclosed now, and ready for interior work to continue through the cold months ahead. And oh how I wish they had built this 4-story HQ on any number of vacant lots downtown, instead of in the middle of a field in Oshtemo Township!

Source: Instagram | byceassociates

The Creamery is also very far along. In addition to the new, 48-unit housing stock, it will bring a new service to Kalamazoo - a 24/7 childcare center, operated by the YWCA of Kalamazoo -

Source: Instagram | byceassociates

Harrison Circle Apartments is also moving very quickly, no doubt attributable to the prefabricated / modular concrete construction methodologies employed -

Source: LinkedIn | AVB

Old Posted Oct 23, 2020, 3:44 AM

Kzoo is looking good!

It really is a shame the Advia HQ wasn't located downtown, or at the very least in a more urban setting.

Old Posted Oct 23, 2020, 2:44 PM
somewhere in-between

Quote:
Originally Posted by DetroitSky View Post
Kzoo is looking good!

It really is a shame the Advia HQ wasn't located downtown, or at the very least in a more urban setting.
The city really is looking good, all things considered in 2020. Many substantial projects are wrapping up, & several others have started or are about to start. I haven't taken the time to do an accurate count, but in the past 2-3 years, there have easily been hundreds of housing units and hotel rooms added in & around downtown. Att the very least, it doesn't feel like things are slowing down (maybe on paper they are, though).

Oshtemo Township's gain is Parchment's loss, when it comes to Advia CU. I don't know statistically how many Advia employees live in Parchment (where the current HQ is) but it is another blow to the struggling community to lose this big of an employer to the suburbs on the west side. Advia seems to be following the likes of Consumers Credit Union and Arbor Financial Credit Union, both of which also recently built their new HQ's in the townships on the west side of Kalamazoo instead of the city proper (Arbor FCU is in Oshtemo Township & Consumers CU is in Texas Township). I don't know anything about any of the land deals or incentives, but I have to imagine that Kzoo could not compete with what these townships were offering.

Here are a few more (more current) photos of the 24/7 daycare that will be housed in 7,000 SF of The Creamery. It will occupy the southernmost portion of the first floor and a connected mezzanine level. A 24/7 daycare poses some unique challenges - you need room for children of different ages to sleep, eat, play, and wash. The built-in elements look interesting, and designed to help accommodate these different zones. I can't imagine what a benefit this affordable childcare will be for some families, especially those working second or third shift, with younger kids at home -

Source: Secondwave Media

Old Posted Oct 24, 2020, 2:31 AM
somewhere in-between

Revel Creek / 500 Golden Dr.

This new senior housing project at Heritage Community broke ground yesterday -

Quote:
Construction starts on new $50M senior living complex in Kalamazoo
Lindsay Moore | MLive
October 22, 2020
The article also includes some more-than-halfway-decent interior renderings I hadn't seen yet -

Source: MLive | Courtesy Heritage Community of Kalamazoo

Miller Davis also posted a photo of the groundbreaking on their LinkedIn -

Source: LinkedIn | Miller Davis

Downtown Kalamazoo Portland Loo

Here is a little more information about the Portland Loo that is being installed downtown this week -

Quote:
Kalamazoo’s new $107K outdoor public restroom opening soon
Brad Devereaux | MLive
October 21, 2020
Kalamazoo College Natatorium

There is a new construction video update on Kalamazoo College's website about their new Natatorium, which was originally supposed to open 10/10/2020 before COVID-19 had a say. The revised completion timeline is now sometime in winter 2021. This project is slightly underwhelming to me for some reason. I do like the roof though.

(link to video)

Old Posted Oct 25, 2020, 4:13 PM
somewhere in-between

A new site plan review document is up for the city. It is a fit-out for 2705 / 2707 W Michigan Ave (retail space in the first floor of this housing development near WMU). I have no idea what Kalamazoo Gallery Inc. (the listed tenant) is. They don't seem to have an online presence yet. The included drawings look like the original construction drawings with just a little new info added towards the front-end. Small beans, but nice to see a storefront get filled with a new mercantile business these days.

Old Posted Oct 26, 2020, 2:29 PM
somewhere in-between

Red Roof Inn Fire

The Red Roof Inn at Cork & Sprinkle suffered a major fire Friday night. It looks like it could be a total loss. One firefighter was injured. If the surrounding new hotels didn't do this place in, it looks like this fire might have -

Source: WKFR

Downtown Zoning Updates Approved

Not surprisingly (but good news) - the City of Kalamazoo Planning Commission approved the recommended downtown zoning updates on October 1, with two positive amendments:
  • Adjusting Lot Types to permit no maximum height in Downtown 1 and Downtown 2 Districts (staff made this amendment during their presentation)
  • Adjusting Lot Types to require a 2-story minimum height in Downtown 3

With recommendation from the Planning Commission, the full City Commission will have a first reading tonight (10/26/20), followed by a subsequent public hearing and a vote at a second meeting to follow. Then it will be for formally approved & adopted.

Old Posted Oct 26, 2020, 7:54 PM
somewhere in-between

KDPS Station No. 2

A new site plan review application is up today, and this one is kind of interesting - it is for the new Kalamazoo Department of Public Safety Station No. 2. This will be built at 1007 E Alcott St. in the Edison Neighborhood, but also near Millwood, Westnedge Hill, and Southside. It is on the edge of a solidly residential area, with a bit of industry too. I didn't really know that this was as far along in the design process as it is -

Hilton Garden Inn Sky Bridge

N. Rose St. is officially reopened under the new sky bridge over that connects the Arcadia parking Ramp to the new Hilton Garden Inn. This was on 10/16/2020. Earlier in the morning it was closed, then when I was driving back home - open.

The Mill at Vicksburg

Here's some neat info & photos about sustainability efforts with the Mill at Vicksburg redevelopment -

Quote:
For the developer at the Mill at Vicksburg, sustainability is key
Rob Peterson | Second Wave Media
October 22, 2020

Economic growth does not need to come at the expense of the environment, especially when the developer cares deeply about the community where the work is being completed. The Mill at Vicksburg, the $80 million redevelopment of the former Lee Paper Company mill about 20 minutes south of Kalamazoo, is one example. Developer Chris Moore’s goal is to create an enduring place for residents of his hometown to enjoy when it is completed...

Source: Second Wave Media | Courtesy The Mill at Vicksburg

Chick-Fil-A

Lastly, and least-exciting (well, maybe not for some people) - the first Chick-Fil-A within the city limits is moving along at the northeast corner of Drake & West Main. It is fully-enclosed and masonry is going up -

Last edited by deja vu; Mar 22, 2021 at 8:31 PM.

Old Posted Nov 1, 2020, 9:16 PM
somewhere in-between

Remember those four residential structures that were destroyed by fire on North St. in June, in Kalamazoo? Well, there is already an ambitious plan in the works for a new, 3-story, mixed-use building to take their place. Coined "The Jabez Project" it will continue the dream that owner / developer Twala Lockett-Jones had to turn one of the destroyed properties into new affordable housing.

I actually am quite excited about this plan. It is a pity that the historic homes are forever lost, but I think this actually could be an appropriate project for the area, which is located on a busier road (North St.) that has been recently targeted for redevelopment as a commercial corridor. This project is viewed as a way to better connect the neighborhoods of West Douglas (very near where I live), Stuart, and the North Side. I feared we would be looking at demolition debris and perimeter fences for so much longer. Hopefully not.

Seven Generations Architecture + Engineering is behind the design. 7GenAE is one of the most active & growing firms in the city, doing work nationally (primarily with federal & Native-American projects) and almost always with a public-wellness-oriented approach. I really like most of their projects lately, and it is great to see them engaging with local stakeholders for this mixed-use project.

Quote:
From Setback to Comeback: Mixed-Use Rebuild to Connect Kalamazoo Neighborhoods
Seven Generations Architecture + Engineering
October 30,2020

Source: 7GenAE

Old Posted Nov 1, 2020, 10:27 PM
somewhere in-between

A new pizza joint just opened up shop, in downtown Kalamazoo (former location of Kelvin & Co.). This one rounds out the local options with a 28", pizza-by-the-slice business model, reminiscent of some NYC locations. I haven't tried it yet, but it looks like a good, greasy slice of pie, which sometimes hits the spot!

Source: Instagram | @downtownkalamazoo

Source: Facebook | Benny DiCarta's

Old Posted Nov 1, 2020, 10:33 PM
somewhere in-between

Bronson held a building naming ceremony last week for its new cancer center near downtown Kalamazoo. It is officially now known as the Frank J. Sardone Pavilion, named in honor of the healthcare group's longtime CEO who retired last year after 32 years with Bronson. It was crappy weather for a naming ceremony, but the building looks good, and it is almost complete, with the first procedures scheduled to occur before the end of 2020.

Source: LinkedIn | CSM Group

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Global Projects & Construction > City Compilations