HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Discussion Forums > Transportation

Old Posted Sep 28, 2017, 2:44 PM

It all seems crazy to be planning massive capital investment in transit while at the same time implementing ongoing service cuts. Is this a matter of improving service for those who can afford alternatives while cutting service to those most in need?

Old Posted Sep 29, 2017, 10:00 PM

Metrorail cuts reversed

http://www.miamiherald.com/news/loca...176069821.html

Quote:
The extra transit dollars proposed this week by Mayor Carlos Gimenez targeted the most contentious part of his proposed $7.4 billion 2018 budget, which originally preserved the shorter Metrorail hours and longer wait times for trains that his administration imposed earlier in the year. The transit cuts — including more than $2 million in reduced holiday service for bus routes — muddied the effort by county leaders to tout their pricey SMART initiative to expand transit across six commuting corridors countywide in the coming years.

“We’re talking about billions of dollars in expenses to help mobilize the workers and the citizens of this county,” said Commissioner Jean Monestime “Then we’re not willing to spend $2 million? How seriously should people take us?”

Old Posted Dec 10, 2017, 11:14 PM

New Metrorail cars have arrived !

Miami Metrorail: Hitachi test train at Government Center (Nov. 21, 2017):

Video Link

New Metrorail Cars First Day in Service (Dec. 1, 2017):

Video Link

Miami-Dade county spent $313 million dollars on 136 new trains from Hitachi that were locally built in a plant in nearby Medley, FL.
The cars were fully paid for by the local 1/2 cent transit tax passed in 2002.

Last edited by bobdreamz; Dec 20, 2017 at 10:05 PM.

Old Posted Dec 11, 2017, 5:35 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bobdreamz View Post
Miami Metrorail: Hitachi test train at Government Center (Nov. 21, 2017):

Video Link

New Metrorail Cars First Day in Service (Dec. 1, 2017):

Video Link

Miami-Dade county spent $313 million dollars on 136 new trains from Hitachi that were locally built in a plant in nearby Medley, FL.
The cars were fully paid for by the local 1/2 cent transit tax passed in 2002.
Wow! Very nice video. Thanks for sharing this! Hopefully they will bring more new metrorail cars.

Old Posted Jan 28, 2018, 5:42 AM

Half-penny transportation tax may be on November ballot

Half-penny transportation tax may be on November ballot.
Written by Gabi Maspons on January 24, 2018

Another half-penny transportation tax may be on the November ballot as Miami-Dade county scrambles to add transit.

At last week’s Chairman’s Policy Council, Commissioner Jean Monestime said he’ll ask attorneys to draft legislation to add the surtax, 15 years after voters approved the People’s Transportation Plan [PTP] half-penny surtax.

“Time is running out for our board and our legacy and I think it’s time that we stop being afraid to fail,” he said. “If I’m going to fail, I’m going to fail big.”

Voters OK’d the PTP in 2002 for key projects, but most money has funded operations. Of $251.6 million collected in 2015-16, only $75.8 million went to capital work.

Mr. Monestime suggested a new surtax may be larger than the first: “We need to put it in [voters’] hands, not ours, when determining whether we should move forward with another half-penny, if not more.”

Dennis Moss said he couldn’t support an extra surtax when residents have been promised solutions they haven’t seen. “I’m just telling you straight up: South Dade is not going to support it.”

He said commissioners should first start SMART plan building to show progress. “Then we can go back out there, because people are not going to fall for the promises.”

Audrey Edmonson supported rapid action, saying three commissioners leading transit talks – Bruno Barreiro, Mr. Moss and Esteban Bovo Jr. – will be gone in 2020.

Mr. Monestime said impending term limits and an outcry from millennials are driving him to put the tax on the ballot quickly. “Our millennials are screaming and crying for this,” he said. The first half-penny passed before millennials were eligible to vote, he said, making them too young to feel betrayed. “Maybe this issue can mobilize them.”

“This isn’t something I can do by myself without the support of the board,” Mr. Monestime said. “But we need to have a longer conversation about giving the voters the option.”

http://www.miamitodaynews.com/2018/0...vember-ballot/

Last edited by bobdreamz; Jan 28, 2018 at 11:31 PM.

Old Posted Feb 2, 2018, 6:57 PM

http://www.miamiherald.com/news/loca...197347574.html

The second new Metrorail train has launched — and it’s half the size of the first one

Quote:
The new cars are part of a $380 million replacement of the entire Metrorail fleet, which is suffering from years of deferred maintenance and an underfunded repair program. Though Miami-Dade commissioners approved more funds for Metrorail in 2018, a promised reduction in wait times between trains isn’t scheduled until June because of the lack of replacement trains, transit officials said.

Old Posted Feb 4, 2018, 9:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by N830MH View Post
http://www.miamiherald.com/news/loca...197347574.html

The second new Metrorail train has launched — and it’s half the size of the first one
The reason for the delay is that a manufacturing plant in Missouri was flooded.
What a sensationalistic headline !

Anyways :

Video Link

Old Posted Feb 12, 2018, 12:53 AM

The county may have found $2 billion to extend Metrorail. But there’s a catch.

http://www.miamiherald.com/news/loca...199010084.html

They found $2 billion dollars funding. Hopefully they will be approved to extend the metrorail.

It's time!

Old Posted Feb 13, 2018, 12:33 AM

Old Posted Mar 13, 2018, 6:37 AM

Great new indeed!
Good read, thanks for sharing.

Quote:
The original schedule called for 20 new cars in service by March. But Hitachi’s most recent delivery forecast, dated Dec. 21, predicts only 10 cars will be available by then — half of what was advertised.

Read more here: http://www.miamiherald.com/news/loca...#storylink=cpy

Old Posted May 22, 2018, 2:20 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RossGeorge View Post
Great new indeed!
Good read, thanks for sharing.
now that the new Brightline station is open&working any news on new metro rail trains?

Old Posted Jun 16, 2018, 6:25 PM

Northeast Corridor Station Locations To Be Identified Within Months

By TNM Staff on June 14, 2018

City, county, and regional leaders are now working to identify station locations for the proposed Northeast Corridor rail line.

The route will take trains will through some of the most densely populated areas in Florida, including Downtown Miami, Midtown Miami, and Aventura.

At a recent Miami-Dade’s Transportation Planning Organization, chairman Esteban Bovo said every board member now sees it as an “emergency” to begin work on activating the line, according to Miami Today. He wants county commissioners to vote on the route in June, with either FDOT or the South Florida Regional Transportation Agency being directed to take the lead in planning within months.

Representatives of the 15 municipalities along the route attended the meeting, and were asked to provide data on big businesses and employers in their cities.

Miami Shores and Biscayne Park are the only two cities along the route without space for a station. The mayor of Miami Shores said he hopes a station will be built in nearby El Portal.

One problem delaying new rail service on the Brightline/Florida East Coast Railway tracks is the lack of Positive Train Control, a safety system required to be installed by the federal government. The SFRTA hopes to complete the paperwork by December 31 in order to allow the Tri-Rail station to open at MiamiCentral in 2019.

SMART Plan map, revised February 2018:

https://www.thenextmiami.com/northea...within-months/

Old Posted Jun 18, 2018, 3:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by eleven=11 View Post
now that the new Brightline station is open&working any news on new metro rail trains?
nice update on north east corridor line but don't see that happening soon
BIG news for 2018/2019 will be tri=rail going to downtown Miami
and the new metro trains.

Old Posted Dec 5, 2018, 2:22 AM

Costs killed one Metrorail expansion, but a pricier option is looking more popular

http://amp.miamiherald.com/news/loca...GFeD9Hvv6Si3RA

Did you hear that? They will have expansion for metrorail via 27th Ave to Hard Rock Stadium.

Old Posted Dec 5, 2018, 4:10 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by N830MH View Post
http://amp.miamiherald.com/news/loca...GFeD9Hvv6Si3RA

Did you hear that? They will have expansion for metrorail via 27th Ave to Hard Rock Stadium.
only half way to stadium, read the fine print about costs of land costs plus construction costs......

Old Posted Dec 9, 2018, 4:12 PM

Old Posted Dec 11, 2018, 4:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by eleven=11 View Post
Nice! Thanks for sharing this! I appreciate that.

Old Posted Jan 25, 2019, 10:58 AM

I'm not a big fan of expanding the Metromover to Miami Beach. I'd rather see the Metrorail extended to South Beach, with the possibility of expanding the line further north to Mal Harbour. The Metromover can only carry so much people, while the Metrorail is suited for longer distances.

Old Posted Jan 28, 2019, 10:23 AM
Adoptive Chicagoan

Quote:
Originally Posted by hughfb3 View Post
This is great news. Is Miami expanding its Metro Heavy Rail or is this some different modality?
All of the above. Miami is considering expanding their heavy rail system (called MetroRAIL in local parlance), their downtown-centric, elevated, automated people mover small rail service (called MetroMOVER), plus considering a new commuter rail line and additional bus rapid transit routes.

Quote:
Originally Posted by electricron View Post
The Green Line, Boston's light rail line, stands up very well against Boston's other heavy rail lines individually.
That's just one city, all that you asked for.
The Green Line had three times as many stations as the Red Line in roughly the same track length and more branches, and the Orange Line has less than a third as many stations and half the route length, yet all three carry between 200-300k riders in your list. To me, that doesn't seem all that comparable by any metric other than just raw number.

Quote:
Originally Posted by electricron View Post
The longer the train, the longer it takes the driver to switch ends and cabs.
I don't think that's a huge component of the time and even if it is, could fairly easily be mitigated with a variety of practices.

Quote:
Originally Posted by lrt's friend View Post
Automatically controlled trains eliminate this problem.
At the scale of heavy rail, like Line 14 in Paris, they have their own issues, and their infrastructure is more expensive and less flexible. At a MetroMover scale, though, it's probably a decent solution.

Quote:
Originally Posted by wanderer34 View Post
Also, Metrorail does have the potential to be a major rail system with the like of the MBTA and BART, and a third line would help that system since a heavy rail transit line would do wonders for Miami Beach and communities like Bal Harbour. The Metromover can be expanded to Miami communities like Edgewater and Wynwood. A 9-mile Metromover expansion to Miami Beach sounds like a waste of money to me and upgrading to heavy rail, whether it's a line going all the way to Bal Harbour, or a spur to South Beach, would greatly help especially during the weekends where everybody is out in the clubs and bars until the wee hours in SoBe!
Personally, I would guess that ability to run smaller, but more frequent service on MetroMover due to its automatic nature would better fit the use model of getting club-goers to take transit. Late night, except right on South Beach, making transit competitive with cars is very difficult. Speed is lower than cars, it's not point to point, and the perception of crime is higher for any transit compared to cars. MetroMover with high frequency cuts wait times, which improved actual trip time, plus less waiting means less perceived crime risk. MetroMover running every five minutes most of the night would likely be far more popular than MetroRail running every 20 minutes until 1:30am.

I also wonder if Miami has enough density points to have a transit system utilized like Boston, etc. In my visits there, the number of transit-friendly areas seemed smaller than even their existing system requires. Will they force through denser zoning requirements to support the investment?

Quote:
Originally Posted by wanderer34 View Post
I'm not a big fan of expanding the Metromover to Miami Beach. I'd rather see the Metrorail extended to South Beach, with the possibility of expanding the line further north to Mal Harbour. The Metromover can only carry so much people, while the Metrorail is suited for longer distances.
But what's the actual ridership potential to South Beach? MetroMover covers some of the areas with the highest daily use potential, and do tourists to Miami really want to take any form of transit to the beach? Honest question, I just never think if taking a train to a beach myself, and I'm a big rail fan.

I also think they should include the entire island and run whatever rail service they settle on all the way from Miami Beach to Bal Harbour. I do agree that if they really wanted to get the island to use rail, MetroRail would be better long term, but, realistically, how much longer is Miami Beach viable, and can the area successfully cultivate a transit culture enough to actually justify full "heavy rail" service before the sea swallows it?
[/SIZE]

Old Posted Feb 25, 2019, 9:08 AM

I agree that for a viable, long-term vision, the Metrorail would be a much better plan than the Metromover. The Metromover is more of an asset to the City of Miami, and Metrorail makes a lot of sense to expand into Miami Beach, and hopefully in the not to distant future, into Bal Harbour.

I just believe that the costs maybe more expensive to expand to Metrorail into Miami Beach, but the benefits fair outweigh them, and plus the Metrorail can carry lots more people to and from South Beach and is way more practical than expanding the Metromover considering the possibility of expanding into Bal Harbour as well as Metrorail's passenger capacity and the possibility of expanding Miami's heavy rail system.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Discussion Forums > Transportation