HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada

Old Posted Mar 1, 2020, 9:35 PM

A quick shot of London i took today, the new building on Richmond certainly fills in well where a big space would be

Old Posted Mar 2, 2020, 1:42 AM
le Gibraltar d'Amérique

The full pano of Quebec I took earlier today, at bassin Louise

Sorry for the width, you will have to scroll ---->

Last edited by Masoliantekw; Mar 2, 2020 at 2:07 AM.

Old Posted Mar 2, 2020, 2:43 AM
Hmm....

Quote:
Originally Posted by Masoliantekw View Post
The full pano of Quebec I took earlier today, at bassin Louise

Sorry for the width....
Nothing wrong with a good panorama!

Old Posted May 11, 2020, 9:14 PM

Yellowknife looks cool, for a cold town. Halifax is becoming a metropolis; must be enjoying an influx of folks from somewhere else to have such growth. Yeah, that's Canada.

Last edited by Ricopedra; May 11, 2020 at 9:32 PM.

Old Posted May 12, 2020, 5:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ricopedra View Post
Halifax is becoming a metropolis; must be enjoying an influx of folks from somewhere else to have such growth.
Sort of. Immigration to Nova Scotia has increased somewhat in recent years but I think a bigger factor overall is that fewer people are leaving - anecdotally, it seems less common now for working-age people to move to Alberta (the job market is no longer as attractive) or Toronto (where it's difficult to find housing). A good proportion (probably 50% or more) of the post-secondary students in Halifax are from outside NS and they seem more likely to stay long-term than even 10 years ago. Part of this is that property is still considered "a good deal" here relative to most comparable parts of Canada (although I doubt this will be true 10 years from now).

Another factor is that a large proportion of development in the Halifax area is infill in the urban core/downtown, so this is captured easily in photos. Compared to most Canadian urban areas (and even 90s Halifax) there isn't very much "greenfield" development here. Part of this comes down to policy and economics and part of it is that most of our "fields" are steep ridges covered in dense forest.

Old Posted May 12, 2020, 6:13 PM
hähnchenbrüstfiletstüc

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hali87 View Post
Sort of. Immigration to Nova Scotia has increased somewhat in recent years but I think a bigger factor overall is that fewer people are leaving - anecdotally, it seems less common now for working-age people to move to Alberta (the job market is no longer as attractive) or Toronto (where it's difficult to find housing). A good proportion (probably 50% or more) of the post-secondary students in Halifax are from outside NS and they seem more likely to stay long-term than even 10 years ago. Part of this is that property is still considered "a good deal" here relative to most comparable parts of Canada (although I doubt this will be true 10 years from now).
Don't have the data on hand right now but demographically it's mostly immigration. If I remember correctly internal migration is positive but small (maybe 1-2k a year), and births vs. deaths are pretty low too, while immigration is probably 5-6k. Last year, Halifax was one of the fastest growing cities in Canada, and I would imagine it stands hugely outside of the pack of Northeastern US cities that are sort of comparable (Portland, Providence, etc.).

NS used to have a very low provincial immigration cap not might higher than PEI. The raising of the cap was a major change for the province.

Quote:
Another factor is that a large proportion of development in the Halifax area is infill in the urban core/downtown, so this is captured easily in photos. Compared to most Canadian urban areas (and even 90s Halifax) there isn't very much "greenfield" development here. Part of this comes down to policy and economics and part of it is that most of our "fields" are steep ridges covered in dense forest.
I have read that 50% of the value of construction in the metro area is on the peninsula, but I don't have a good source for that either.

Halifax is such a strange metro area. It has a lot of exurbs but also a lot of large multi-unit residential buildings for its size. If you are going to live in one of those multi-unit buildings, I think it makes more sense to be in an urban neighbourhood than a suburb. Halifax is also relatively old with a more expansive than usual urban core that is suitable for infill. It might soon end up with an urban core with 150,000-200,000 residents (I don't mean urban area but rather walkable "inner city"), something you don't see much in smaller North American metros.

The Halifax model of a strong core and then quasi-rural suburbs actually makes a lot of sense in a smaller city. I think people in big cities would choose that option too but there's not enough land for exurbs within a good commuting distance of downtown. Halifax has a combination of desirable inner-city locations and plentiful, dirt cheap suburban land.

Old Posted May 26, 2020, 3:18 PM

SK's new tallest starting to pop up from this perspective - behind and to the right of the Bessborough:

Old Posted May 27, 2020, 5:04 PM

Old Posted May 27, 2020, 7:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by someone123 View Post
Don't have the data on hand right now but demographically it's mostly immigration. If I remember correctly internal migration is positive but small (maybe 1-2k a year), and births vs. deaths are pretty low too, while immigration is probably 5-6k. Last year, Halifax was one of the fastest growing cities in Canada, and I would imagine it stands hugely outside of the pack of Northeastern US cities that are sort of comparable (Portland, Providence, etc.).

NS used to have a very low provincial immigration cap not might higher than PEI. The raising of the cap was a major change for the province.

I have read that 50% of the value of construction in the metro area is on the peninsula, but I don't have a good source for that either.

Halifax is such a strange metro area. It has a lot of exurbs but also a lot of large multi-unit residential buildings for its size. If you are going to live in one of those multi-unit buildings, I think it makes more sense to be in an urban neighbourhood than a suburb. Halifax is also relatively old with a more expansive than usual urban core that is suitable for infill. It might soon end up with an urban core with 150,000-200,000 residents (I don't mean urban area but rather walkable "inner city"), something you don't see much in smaller North American metros.

The Halifax model of a strong core and then quasi-rural suburbs actually makes a lot of sense in a smaller city. I think people in big cities would choose that option too but there's not enough land for exurbs within a good commuting distance of downtown. Halifax has a combination of desirable inner-city locations and plentiful, dirt cheap suburban land.
The geography of Halifax is really restrictive too so infill is really the only option at this point. Halifax is both really dense (for its pop) but also incredibly sprawled too which is a weird combination. If LRT/Fast Ferry/Streetcars could get planned and built faster the metro could sustainably grow to the 600,000-650,000 range if a metrolink system could connect the mainland areas, Bedford, Dartmouth/Cole Harbour and so on with increased infill in those outer centres.

Old Posted May 28, 2020, 8:53 PM

some nice shots of Kelowna that were posted in the Kelowna construction thread - https://skyscraperpage.com/forum/sho...28437&page=135

Quote:
Originally Posted by LFC View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by giallo View Post
^ Quite the difference from last August.

knox 4
Quote:
Originally Posted by rdave View Post
Very nice progress on Clement Ave projects and Brooklyn!
One Water East tower will top off in a month and I also drove through the area today and it looks like the 4 laning of clement could be done by the end of summer.

Here's a shot from this past weekend:

Old Posted Jun 15, 2020, 4:11 PM
Riki beach

Rimouski

Old Posted Jun 15, 2020, 6:28 PM
The Vomit Bag.

What's the lego cube building on the far right?

Old Posted Jun 15, 2020, 9:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MolsonExport View Post
Ugly.

Old Posted Jun 15, 2020, 9:20 PM
Riki beach

Quote:
Originally Posted by MolsonExport View Post
This is the recent reclad of the CHRR's west wing (l'Hôpital régional de Rimouski). I thought it was ... hmm original.

We have this guy now UC and will be next to the leftmost building, Le C Hôtel Le Navigateur. Beside it, La Grande Place is living its last days to be redeveloped.

Old Posted Jun 16, 2020, 3:19 AM

I need some London lovin.

Old Posted Jun 16, 2020, 6:14 AM
hähnchenbrüstfiletstüc

Halifax, September 2019:

Source

Old Posted Jun 16, 2020, 2:23 PM
Volatile Pacivist

That looks really cool. All the highrises give an impression of density.

Old Posted Jun 16, 2020, 2:26 PM
Wildcats Rule!!

I see that HMS Queen Elizabeth was in port.

Old Posted Jun 16, 2020, 4:59 PM
hähnchenbrüstfiletstüc

I was trying to figure out what those hills in the background are. I think they are near Mount Uniacke, where there are some dizzying 235 m peaks.

At a higher altitude in an airplane flying over NS you can see hills in the distance that I think are actually New Brunswick or Maine.

The mainland Halifax suburbs go from sea level to 150 m over about 3 km, with some small areas having 15% grades. The Magazine Hill is around 100 m with some cliffs being 30-40 m tall.

There is a 28 storey hotel being built on the hill on the left side of that photo. It will be fairly prominent, and will have panoramic views of a huge area including the Atlantic.

Old Posted Jun 23, 2020, 5:35 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rdave View Post
Spent the weekend in Kelowna. Brooklyn is rising quick now.

A really cool shot of Kelowna. Some decent urban feel to this pic and it really shows Kelowna’s Pacific Northwest built form IMO.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada