HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Manitoba & Saskatchewan

Old Posted Sep 1, 2020, 5:18 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Authentic_City View Post
^Thanks for the update. Progress seems very slow!
It’s a Winnipeg thing...

Old Posted Sep 7, 2020, 5:12 PM
BANNED

Oh I don't know about that, 300 Main St seems to be going up fairly quickly

Old Posted Sep 8, 2020, 1:23 PM
What could go wrong?

I don't know if this has been mentioned here before, but TNSE will be moving their offices to floors 3-6 in the new Carlton tower early next year.
"But a city can be smothered by too much reverence for its past. The skyline must keep acquiring new peaks, because the day we consider it complete and untouchable is the day the city begins to die." - Justin Davidson - May 2010 Issue of New York

Old Posted Sep 8, 2020, 1:48 PM

^ Any word on what their space in the Powerhouse will be used for after they move?

Between TNSE moving and Tavern being stale as hell, I get the feeling that the whole building could use a bit of a rethink/refresh.

Old Posted Sep 8, 2020, 2:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Phil McAvity View Post
Oh I don't know about that, 300 Main St seems to be going up fairly quickly
Are you actually serious? I have been on this project for over a year and this is the slowest job I’ve ever been on in my entire decade-plus career. They still have over 25% of the structure alone left and they have been at it for literally two years. They still haven’t started drywall on any of the floors at all yet other than a bit of piecemeal cobblings here and there. It’s a trainwreck of poor organization and inexperience.

Old Posted Sep 8, 2020, 3:27 PM

300 a

Quote:
Originally Posted by WinCitySparky View Post
Are you actually serious? I have been on this project for over a year and this is the slowest job I’ve ever been on in my entire decade-plus career. They still have over 25% of the structure alone left and they have been at it for literally two years. They still haven’t started drywall on any of the floors at all yet other than a bit of piecemeal cobblings here and there. It’s a trainwreck of poor organization and inexperience.
I concur. There was a great photo found by Wpg_Guy on here 2 years ago of our skyline. That was 2 years ago and the construction crane for 300 main is there.Many have told me that in other cities, like Toronto, taller towers started later than 300 and are complete.
Sutton complex i a slow go but with covid-19, the financial backers amy not be in a hurry.

Old Posted Sep 8, 2020, 3:31 PM

More recently it seems they've been making progress. But overall there were many delays and it's ya 2+ years later..

Old Posted Sep 8, 2020, 3:34 PM

300 a

Quote:
Originally Posted by WinCitySparky View Post
I concur. There was a great photo found by Wpg_Guy on here 2 years ago of our skyline. That was 2 years ago and the construction crane for 300 main is there.Many have told me that in other cities, like Toronto, taller towers started later than 300 and are complete.
Sutton complex is a snails pace slow go but with covid-19, the financial backers might not be in a hurry.

Last edited by BAKGUY; Sep 8, 2020 at 3:35 PM. Reason: edit

Old Posted Sep 8, 2020, 5:15 PM

Mark my words it will be +/- 4 years before this thing is done. The inability to organize anything or adhere to deadlines here is unreal.

Old Posted Sep 8, 2020, 11:55 PM

west village in calgary took a very long time to get going, still in progress, and if i remember correct, there were discussions about that since before the bow even really got going - i guess it depends on multiple factors including experience as has been alluded too...and I also think, that main tower will be the tallest purely residential building there (about similar height to 300 main)

im sure covid played a unique role with projects in this case

at least they're all going up and/or u/c?

And at least there will be a steady stream of cranes downtown winnipeg as a result at least until the wawanesa tower is done, and who knows what else is announced in the next few years that we are unaware of as Winnipeg CMA moves towards 900k...think of all the projects that happened going from 700k to 800k CMA (since ~2002 until 2016), and since then there's been the TNS and 300 main projects which are the biggest ones collectively yet

makes perfect sense for a hotel to not be in a rush to get going given the current financial climate right now - i can imagine really the only high rises making sense right now are residential, and I imagine those are the types of projects best suited to Winnipeg

Old Posted Sep 10, 2020, 1:26 AM

Old Posted Sep 10, 2020, 9:52 PM

While there's no argument that things have been incredibly slow, it's not simply due to disorganization or a lack of communication. COVID played a role all around. Don't forget, even if construction workers were there, that doesn't mean they had anything to work with. One thing after another. No matter what was missing, there was always a piece being delayed or unable to be manufactured for one reason or another.

And as far as what the backers want, well, they want it to move as quickly as possible because each day it's not complete is another day fees are being paid and the site isn't generating any income.

Old Posted Sep 12, 2020, 6:30 PM
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by bomberjet View Post
More recently it seems they've been making progress. But overall there were many delays and it's ya 2+ years later..
I didn't know about those initial delays so I guess I'm wrong, i've only been following the construction for the past few months

Old Posted Sep 22, 2020, 5:17 PM

Update today.

Looks like a LOT of rebar for supports getting in place.
Also, framing around the elevators is going up and a bunch of work around the perimeter.

Old Posted Sep 22, 2020, 8:05 PM

I can barely see any change between this pic and the one from July 15th

Old Posted Sep 22, 2020, 10:14 PM

So, does anyone factually know what height Sutton Place Hotel will be? I have seen in print, 27, 24, 22 and even as low as 17 floors? The condo has been reported from as high as 17 to as low as 13?

Old Posted Sep 23, 2020, 4:22 AM
surely you agree with me

True North Square has a distinct ‘you aren’t welcome’ vibe these days. Security guards watching your every move and now big planters blocking the entrances. I hope this isn’t permanent.

That new grocery type space sure looks good from the outside.

Last edited by trueviking; Sep 23, 2020 at 4:37 AM.

Old Posted Sep 23, 2020, 4:31 AM

^^It reminds me of the "park" at the mint. Try having a picnic there! It's a defensible space, as is this place.

Old Posted Sep 23, 2020, 4:49 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by trueviking View Post
True North Square has a distinct ‘you aren’t welcome’ vibe these days. Security guards watching your every move and now big planters blocking the entrances. I hope this isn’t permanent.
Be thankful they are planters. Many public spaces here in Toronto are surrounded by haphazardly placed Jersey barriers [To prevent terror attacks].

Old Posted Sep 23, 2020, 11:23 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DavefromSt.Vital View Post
Be thankful they are planters. Many public spaces here in Toronto are surrounded by haphazardly placed Jersey barriers [To prevent terror attacks].
Welcome to dystopia

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Manitoba & Saskatchewan