HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Ontario > Hamilton > Suburbs

Old Posted Nov 14, 2008, 6:12 PM
Closed account

South Mountain Sprawl

I wasn't sure where to post this article, so I started a new thread.

Prepare to pick yourself up off the floor - City Staff are recommending that a townhouse development adjacent to Rymal Road be DENIED:

http://www.myhamilton.ca/NR/rdonlyre...18PED08265.pdf

I have two thoughts on this as for possible explanations:

1. Perhaps they are finally getting serious about 'places to grow' and curbing sprawl
2. Perhaps this developer isn't part of the 'in crowd' of developers who wield power at city hall.

Either way, it's nice to see a 'DENIED' show up on one of these reports. I've read hundreds throughout the years and they are always approved.

Old Posted Nov 14, 2008, 6:33 PM
Closed account

I'm not so sure this is a good thing. If I'm not mistaken, Rymal is one of the arteries targeted for densification. If this is the case, it seems to me that a townhouse complex on Rymal would be good thing. Do you know why it was denied? Were nimbies worried about the density?

Old Posted Nov 14, 2008, 6:36 PM

Staff recommended denying the application because the proposal was not dense enough.

There is little to celebrate here, though. Staff regularly make recommendations to council that get ignored. If council accepts the advice and denies the proposal, then we can say a good thing has happened.

Old Posted Nov 14, 2008, 6:59 PM
Closed account

Quote:
Originally Posted by markbarbera View Post
Staff recommended denying the application because the proposal was not dense enough.

There is little to celebrate here, though. Staff regularly make recommendations to council that get ignored. If council accepts the advice and denies the proposal, then we can say a good thing has happened.
very, very true.

Old Posted Jan 2, 2009, 6:50 AM

The newest mountain subdivision, Paradise Meadows, has around 180 townhouse units slated for Garth, south of Rymal. They're working on the first phase now, and the townhomes (from the looks of the map they've erected on Upper Paradise) are in the 3rd phase.

Here's a little bit of info on where all the kids will be going:
http://ap.hwdsb.on.ca/CapitalPlan200...n_Mountain.pdf

Old Posted Jan 2, 2009, 4:29 PM

Okay um, just throwing it out there, why is "Upper Gage Condos" not listed under Condos

End

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Ontario > Hamilton > Suburbs