HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Global Projects & Construction > City Compilations

Old Posted Aug 15, 2022, 10:14 PM

Wilshire Center's new crown

[IMG]Untitled by Hugh B, on Flickr[/IMG]

Old Posted Aug 16, 2022, 3:02 AM
Ridin' into the sunset

Driving on the 10 west from downtown, this is clearly visible and stands out as the tallest in that cluster.
"Then each time Fleetwood would be not so much overcome by remorse as bedazzled at having been shown the secret backlands of wealth, and how sooner or later it depended on some act of murder, seldom limited to once."

Against the Day, Thomas Pynchon

Old Posted Aug 16, 2022, 3:39 PM
Los Angeles Aficionado

The Alexan apartments

The Alexan NoHo West apartments. Looks to be in its final phase. The area is starting to look very nice!

https://la.urbanize.city/post/progre...est-apartments

https://twitter.com/LA_Construct/sta...64774022688768

Go Dodgers! | Go Lakers! | Go Rams! | Go Kings!

[♥][♦][♣][♠][♥][♦][♣][♠][♥][♦][♣][♠][♥][♦][♣][♠][♥]

Old Posted Aug 17, 2022, 4:12 PM
Los Angeles Aficionado

The Broadstone Promenade

The Broadstone Promenade at E. Broadway and The Promenade N. Mixed-use apartment complex.

https://la.urbanize.city/post/constr...own-long-beach

https://twitter.com/LA_Construct/sta...35709871366146

Old Posted Aug 17, 2022, 4:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by hughfb3 View Post
Wilshire Center's new crown

[IMG]Untitled by Hugh B, on Flickr[/IMG]
Really feels like this one broke a theoretical ceiling in Koreatown. Love the way the neighborhood has densified and become more vibrant, but it can go to the next level and be a true "midtown" with a handful more of these guys.

Old Posted Aug 17, 2022, 5:24 PM

Cities & nabes throughout LA County & elsewhere are upping their game...time waits for no one...that includes any hood or any city.

Video Link

^ I'm glad that ppl in dtlb...landowners, devlprs, residents, city govnt....are keeping things moving along nicely. meanwhile, ppl in dtla several miles to the north had better do no less.

Old Posted Aug 18, 2022, 5:36 PM
Los Angeles Aficionado

Lavc

The Valley Academic & Cultural Center at LA Valley College. This project seems to be in the final stages as there is already landscaping being done.

https://twitter.com/LA_Construct/sta...76400241684480

https://www.eyrc.com/work/lavc-acade...ultural-center

Old Posted Aug 18, 2022, 10:22 PM
FlyyyFALiiFe

Something not building related but definitely worth appearing on this thread.

https://www.latimes.com/california/s...-landfill-site

Old Posted Aug 19, 2022, 4:31 PM
Los Angeles Aficionado

The Chandler Noho

The Chandler Noho apartment complex at the intersection of Lankershim Blvd and Chandler Blvd. Adjacent to the Noho Metro Station. Looks like the shop beside it was also razed.

https://twitter.com/LA_Construct/sta...65316216037378

https://www.richmansignature.com/cal...chandler-noho/

Old Posted Aug 19, 2022, 6:16 PM

Glad you're covering the Valley. There's some solid infill going on, but it's just so big it's not always noticed.

Old Posted Aug 19, 2022, 6:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LA21st View Post
Glad you're covering the Valley. There's some solid infill going on, but it's just so big it's not always noticed.
Seconded. I don't get to the Valley very often but I've been impressed and optimistic about what I've seen, especially around NoHo. The District NoHo project planned for the North Hollywood metro station parking lots is one of the largest serious proposals in the greater LA region and on top of what's already being built and planned in that area will be truly transformative. Having high quality transit, very high population densities, offices, and entertainment nearby may make the area a significant destination.

Old Posted Aug 19, 2022, 8:49 PM

^ It's vids like these that help give a better sense of what hoods or cities are like. This is Noho from last yr....the youtuber's long generic intro ends around 3:50....

Video Link

meanwhile, several miles to the south, on the other side of the hollywood hills, this is from a few days ago...

Video Link

^ those 2 walking vids are done by ppl formerly based on the east coast, one of them since relocated to florida. Seeing LA, whether dtla, Noho or culver city, through the eyes of other ppl can give a new take on things.

btw, in the 2nd vid, around 9:12, you get a brief glimpse of this proj designed by eric owen moss...

urbanize.la.

Old Posted Aug 20, 2022, 1:22 AM

this is from several wks ago...don't know whether this devlpt was mentioned in the LA metro forum. Walking vids of various areas, in both LA & elsewhere, are making it easier to get a good sense of what's going on out there. I like what I'm seeing in dtlb, NoHo, culver city, etc. dtla is still mainly the area I focus on, but I used to live not too far from culver city. That was back when it was kind of iffy, sleepy or tired. Decades ago that was true of many other parts of LA too, with dtla being in really bad shape....even venice bch a few miles away from culver city was worn out. So the LA area in 2022 is generally still better...in certain ways, but not in others.... than the LA area of decades ago.

urbanize.la

Quote:
The Cupertino-based tech giant unveiled plans for its new office campus for thousands of employees on the border of Culver City and Los Angeles, Urbanize Los Angeles reported. A new environmental report released by Culver City highlights the new copper look.

The campus, dubbed Culver Crossings, would include two four- and five-story buildings stretching across 4.5 acres between National, Washington and Venice boulevards. The new development would double Apple’s footprint in Culver City, where its streaming service is based. It would also replace an entire block of office and industrial buildings Apple bought in late 2020 for $162 million.

Pending approval by both Culver City and Los Angeles, Apple could break ground on the first, 167,000-square-foot building early next year with completion set for late 2024. The company could break ground on the second, 369,000-square-foot building in fall 2023 and be completed by late 2025, with the entire complex expected to be open in 2026.

Apple now occupies 500,000 square feet of space in and around Culver City, including a 128,000-square-foot building that it leases just south of the new campus site.

The company is estimated to employ more than 1,500 people in Los Angeles through Apple TV+, Apple Music and other ventures. Apple previously announced it aims to grow the Culver City office to more than 3,000 employees by 2026.
this is from last yr....

Video Link

Old Posted Aug 20, 2022, 3:42 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Easy View Post
Seconded. I don't get to the Valley very often but I've been impressed and optimistic about what I've seen, especially around NoHo. The District NoHo project planned for the North Hollywood metro station parking lots is one of the largest serious proposals in the greater LA region and on top of what's already being built and planned in that area will be truly transformative. Having high quality transit, very high population densities, offices, and entertainment nearby may make the area a significant destination.
Noho and Woodland Hills have the most transformation, but if you travel through Sherman Oaks/Studio City, there is a ton of new 4-5 story buildings on the side streets. Some of those buildings are really nice, something you'd see in West Hollywood.

Even in Van Nuys has more new construction than people expect. It's flying under the radar, but that's probably a good thing. It's not mind boggling growth, but the infill is making a difference on some of those older blocks.

I gave up on Van Nuys a few years ago, but I'm starting to see some hope there. Sepulveda could be lined with 5-7 story buildings for miles , in this decade. You can kinda see people getting priced out of Sherman Oaks and moving north into Van Nuys.

I haven't been to Northridge recently, but I know it's urbanizing in parts there.

Old Posted Aug 25, 2022, 3:15 PM
Los Angeles Aficionado

252 Hoover St.

Pretty large apartment complex at 252 Hoover St. in Rampart Village if you ask me.

https://twitter.com/LA_Construct/sta...20347354681344

https://la.urbanize.city/post/apartm...ampart-village

Old Posted Aug 25, 2022, 11:17 PM

Had the pleasure of driving past the Wrapper yesterday and it is mostly unwrapped.

For me, one of the coolest high rises to go up in the country lately (and this is the less cool side IMO). Awesome to see even more join this + ARQ/Cumulus soon in this area.

Old Posted Aug 26, 2022, 1:51 AM

^ great proj...now the utility companies of culver city & LA need to do their fair share in helping clean up the various hoods of socal.

this is a drone shot of La Cienega blvd south of sunset, right by the beverly ctr. That's a somewhat high profile part of LA...not what's considered a sketchy or slum like part of the city. Yet look at how city govt...its depts like the dwp...has through the decades shrugged & gone, 'who cares?...not my job".

https://youtu.be/PlROYHS5PJY?t=1348

Another city or county agency, the mta, had better keep the new subway down Wilshire at least safe & clean.

Old Posted Aug 26, 2022, 5:03 PM
Los Angeles Aficionado

235 Hoover St.

235 Hoover St. in Rampart Village. Apartment complex at former Temple Community Hospital site.

https://twitter.com/LA_Construct/sta...09829337862145

https://la.urbanize.city/post/221-ap...-hospital-site

Old Posted Aug 27, 2022, 1:15 AM

That area is changing fast. The new echo park/silver lake.

Old Posted Aug 27, 2022, 6:01 AM
Birds Aren't Real!

Design refresh for Hollywood's Sunset + Wilcox office complex

The project would replace a Staples at 6450 Sunset Boulevard

Steven Sharp
Urbanize Los Angeles
August 26, 2022

A proposed Hollywood office complex from developers Millennium Partners and Shorenstein Properties continues to inch toward reality.

A final environmental study released by the Los Angeles Department City Planning represents another milestone for the Sunset + Wilcox development, which would replace a Staples office supply store and several smaller commercial buildings at 6450 Sunset Boulevard. The proposed development, announced in March 2020, calls for the construction of a 15-story building featuring roughly 431,000 square feet of offices above 12,386 square feet of ground-floor retail space.

Gensler is designing the proposed 275-foot-tall building, which remains similar in form, but has undergone several revisions since last seen in late 2020. Per the environmental study, the project has made changes as a result of feedback provided by the city's Urban Design Studio, including swapping out the “distinctive, softly luminous material and wood screens," in favor of solid materials alternating between frosted and clear panels. Likewise, the mass timber wrapping the upper floors of the building have been discarded and replaced by clear and frosted materials, held together by a steel frame. Tiered building heights remain unchanged, providing a reduction in scale facing Sunset Boulevard, and approximately 22,000 square feet of landscaped terrace decks for use by tenants.

Other changes to the project include a slight reduction in the amount of proposed parking from 1,291 stalls to 1,179 stalls.

According to the environmental study, construction of Sunset + Wilcox development is expected to be completed in 2026, contingent on the approval of discretionary approvals by the City of Los Angeles, including a height district change and the approval of a vesting tentative tract map.

The project joins a number of ground-up developments slated for the stretch of Sunset Boulevard between Vine Street and Highland Avenue, including the $1-billion Crossroads Hollywood complex, a proposed Art Deco hotel at Cahuenga Boulevard, and an apartment tower which would rise at the former site of Amoeba Music. Likewise, the Sunset + Wilcox complex follows a string of new office developments in Hollywood, many of which have been built by Hudson Pacific Properties and Kilroy Realty Corporation.

Millennium Partners, the developer behind Sunset + Wilcox, is also seeking to build a $1-billion skyscraper complex adjacent to the Capitol Records Building and Pantages Theatre.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Global Projects & Construction > City Compilations