^I need a copy of that book!
"Prayers are fleeting and wars are forgotten, but what is built endures"
-Ambassador DeLenn, Babylon 5

Old Posted Apr 24, 2021, 2:55 PM
New Yorker for life

^ It is a great book.

Mecha-Chrysler Building....

https://www.instagram.com/p/CODL7Chp4ZX/

“Office buildings are our factories – whether for tech, creative or traditional industries we must continue to grow our modern factories to create new jobs,” said United States Senator Chuck Schumer.

Old Posted Apr 24, 2021, 3:05 PM
The Vomit Bag.

please never allow them to install some sort of ugly skydeck (as per the Sears tower...watchoo talkin' 'bout Willis). Nothing should ever mar the face of the world's most beautiful skyscraper.
"If you can convince the lowest white man he's better than the best colored man, he won't notice you're picking his pocket. Hell, give him somebody to look down on, and he'll empty his pockets for you."-President Lyndon B. Johnson Donald Trump is a poor man's idea of a rich man, a weak man's idea of a strong man, and a stupid man's idea of a smart man. Am I an Asseau?

Old Posted Apr 24, 2021, 3:09 PM
The Vomit Bag.

god I would give my right arm to spend a few hours in the original cloud club and original observation deck. I've decided that when I become a billionaire (next life, as it won't happen this go around), I am buying the Chrysler building, and I will live on the top floors.
"If you can convince the lowest white man he's better than the best colored man, he won't notice you're picking his pocket. Hell, give him somebody to look down on, and he'll empty his pockets for you."-President Lyndon B. Johnson Donald Trump is a poor man's idea of a rich man, a weak man's idea of a strong man, and a stupid man's idea of a smart man. Am I an Asseau?

Old Posted Apr 25, 2021, 6:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ArchGuy1 View Post
Does anyone here know what day in 1945 the 71st floor observation deck of the Chrysler Building was closed to the public? What I do know is that the deck was closed in 1945 and I have not been able to find a closing date online and does anyone here have any more information?
The clue is in the year. It was probably after Japan was defeated. VJ day 1945?

Old Posted Jun 26, 2021, 3:42 AM
New Yorker for life

“Office buildings are our factories – whether for tech, creative or traditional industries we must continue to grow our modern factories to create new jobs,” said United States Senator Chuck Schumer.

Old Posted Jun 28, 2021, 5:59 PM
New Yorker for life

From the last clip…

Old Posted Jul 12, 2021, 7:50 PM
New Yorker for life

Old Posted Sep 18, 2021, 12:05 AM
New Yorker for life

Quote:
Originally Posted by NYguy View Post
I have mixed feelings about this. On the one hand, I would love the opportunity to get up there and experience the Chrysler that way, but on the other hand, I'm not sure having people visible up there won't ruin the look. We'll see.

Been trying to gauge the status of this, but there is so much work going on at the building.

So far, I see progress on the restaurant...

http://a810-bisweb.nyc.gov/bisweb/Wo...56&requestid=2

Quote:
10/29/2020

ALTERATION TYPE 1 -

INTERIOR RENOVATION TO FLOORS 61 AND 62. CHANGE IN OCCUPANCY FROM BUSINESS TO EATING AND DRINKING ESTABLISHMENT.

INCREASE OCCUPANT LOAD TO 150 PEOPLE.

Old Posted Oct 4, 2021, 4:54 PM
The Vomit Bag.

tread carefully when making any modifications to the world's most beautiful skyscraper.

Old Posted Oct 4, 2021, 5:09 PM

the only thing I would've liked is for them to come up with a way for visitors to climb out on one of the Eagles like a mini version of the Edge. Seems doable. This is obviously going to be a limited capacity experience, the space is quite small.

Old Posted Oct 18, 2021, 3:24 PM
Ω

Quote:
I have mixed feelings about this. On the one hand, I would love the opportunity to get up there and experience the Chrysler that way, but on the other hand, I'm not sure having people visible up there won't ruin the look. We'll see.
Agreed. The renderings are downplaying the reflectivity of the glass. Imo it's going to be a lot more visible than they're showing. And this is a change to one of the most famous architectural elements of one of the most famous pieces of architecture in the world.

Old Posted Oct 22, 2021, 9:27 PM

Taken yesterday @ Summit around 6-7pm:

Old Posted Oct 23, 2021, 4:54 AM

Wow, I didn't know she was still standing

Old Posted Jan 29, 2022, 7:42 PM
New Yorker for life

Old Posted Aug 15, 2022, 10:27 PM
New Yorker for life

Old Posted Aug 16, 2022, 2:55 AM

Really sucks that one of the most beautiful buildings ever built has no protected sight lines.

Old Posted Aug 23, 2022, 8:13 PM
The Vomit Bag.

Quote:

The 1931 Beaux-Arts Ball. From left to right, A. Stewart Walker as the Fuller Building, Leonard Schultze as the Waldorf Astoria Hotel, Ely Jacques Kahn as the Squibb Building, William Van Alen as the Chrysler Building, Ralph Walker as 1 Wall Street, D.E.Ward as the Metropolitan Tower, and Joseph H. Freelander as the Museum of the City of New York.
Courtesy of the Council on Tall Urban Buildings and Habitat

In January 1931, architects and socialites gathered at New York City’s Hotel Astor to drink and dance away the gloom of the Depression for one night. The occasion was the annual Beaux-Arts Ball (its theme: “Fête Moderne—a Fantasie in Flame and Silver”).
What’s chiefly remembered about this particular high-society party is that titans of New York real estate came dressed in costumes depicting their own buildings, including the Waldorf Astoria and the Chrysler Building.

Old Posted Sep 17, 2022, 2:56 PM
New Yorker for life

I think I should be Chrysler for Halloween one year.

brian.meyo1

Old Posted Nov 10, 2022, 3:49 PM
New Yorker for life

Some random shots from the observation deck at One Vanderbilt. This particular view will be gone in the coming years...

NOVEMBER 2, 2022

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Discussion Forums > Buildings & Architecture