HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Photography Forums > Found City Photos

Old Posted Aug 13, 2022, 3:23 PM

AMAZING photograph, sopas. Thanks for posting them.

Old Posted Aug 14, 2022, 3:43 AM

No prob!

I am sooo glad this thread is still going.

~ Charles Bukowski

Old Posted Aug 14, 2022, 4:58 AM

Thumbs up

Quote:
Originally Posted by sopas ej View Post

No prob!

I am sooo glad this thread is still going.

The energizer bunny of threads keeps on going.

Old Posted Aug 14, 2022, 5:54 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by GaylordWilshire View Post
MYSTERY BUILDINGS

Anyone recognize these buildings? The first is of a house I am certain we've seen before on NLA, I think I even posted it...some muckety-muck built it out, I think, in Culver City. Just can't remember the m-m's name or the context.

The huge white Colonial building--seems too big to be a residence--I'm thinking may also be in Culver City. Of course I thought of the similar Ince/Selznick studios building, but it's not that....

HossC? Flying Wedge?

At a site about houses on the original Perry Mason series, there is a house from "The case of the Howling Dog" that looks similar to your first photo. Take a look:
https://www.perrymasontvseries.com/w...tras/TheHouses
It was apparently on the Fox lot.

Old Posted Aug 14, 2022, 6:59 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by HossC View Post
I'm thinking that the northeastern end of the Figueroa Street Tunnels is just out of shot to the right, and that the Figueroa Street exit in the distance now has the Golden State Freeway passing over it. This theory is based on looking at the 1952 view at Historic Aerials (before the Golden State Freeway was built), but I was hoping to find ground level image to back me up. The search continues...
It's hard to match up the images; the OP is an extreme telephoto shot, and the Googlemobile views are super wide-angle. The now present I-5 (Golden State) Freeway overcrossings also complicate the comparisons.

The OP is North of the tunnels. We've already passed the left exit for Riverside Drive (which is now that horrible exit for I-5 North). That left hand exit we see for Figueroa Street is still there. The traffic entering from the left looks like it's coming from Riverside Drive (now the horrible ramp from I-5 South).

Old Posted Aug 14, 2022, 7:11 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Martin Pal View Post
And speaking of L.A. rainstorms...this photo can be found in many places around the internet (including Getty Images), but the info is rather sparse,
except to name the paddler as Myrna Loy c. 1925.

There seems little to go on in hopes of finding the location.
The street light to the left of Myrna Loy is a Llewellyn "Washington." They were found on Washington Boulevard (natch), West 11th Street between Main and Hope (still there), and West 6th Street in what's now Koreatown. Maybe that will help to pinpoint a location.

My money is on West 6th Street.

Old Posted Aug 14, 2022, 2:00 PM

Those freeway lanes are so luxuriously wide.
And traffic is so light.
It's like another world.

Old Posted Aug 14, 2022, 5:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mackerm View Post

Water and Power Associates Original is on LAPL, but to me the Water & Power version is SLIGHTLY clearer.

This is driving me bats. I should be able to figure this out, but it ain't happening. I did work out that the small square sign has a Route 11 symbol.. Martin Turnbull recently posted this elsewhere.

Quote:
Originally Posted by HossC View Post
I'm thinking that the northeastern end of the Figueroa Street Tunnels is just out of shot to the right, and that the Figueroa Street exit in the distance now has the Golden State Freeway passing over it. This theory is based on looking at the 1952 view at Historic Aerials (before the Golden State Freeway was built), but I was hoping to find ground level image to back me up. The search continues...
Quote:
Originally Posted by acorn8332 View Post
It's hard to match up the images; the OP is an extreme telephoto shot, and the Googlemobile views are super wide-angle. The now present I-5 (Golden State) Freeway overcrossings also complicate the comparisons.

The OP is North of the tunnels. We've already passed the left exit for Riverside Drive (which is now that horrible exit for I-5 North). That left hand exit we see for Figueroa Street is still there. The traffic entering from the left looks like it's coming from Riverside Drive (now the horrible ramp from I-5 South).
I believe you are correct, HossC and acorn. This is what it would look like now, per Google Street View:

At the bottom left corner is the ramp from Golden State Freeway/I-5 south to the 110 south, just as in the older picture. And you can see the Figueroa St. offramp and the 110 North thru-traffic lanes to its right.

For a modern perspective, looking south, here's a Google Earth image, looking south, towards the northern end of the tunnels:

And here's an image from 1941 of the same view, back when the Figueroa tunnels still had 2-way traffic, and the Arroyo Seco Parkway ended north of the tunnels (before the southbound lanes were extended into downtown and the tunnels became one-way northbound). You can see an offshoot ramp/road from the tunnels to Riverside Drive. And Mackerm, if you follow the northbound lanes past the tunnel, you can see the Figueroa offramp. You can even make out the back of the original exit sign that's in the photo you posted; I guess there was a period when some of the original signs on the Arroyo Seco Parkway co-existed with the newer, larger/easier-to-read signs.

Arturo Salazar Facebook

~ Charles Bukowski

Last edited by sopas ej; Aug 14, 2022 at 6:25 PM.

Old Posted Aug 14, 2022, 8:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sopas ej View Post
I believe you are correct, HossC and acorn. This is what it would look like now, per Google Street View:

At the bottom left corner is the ramp from Golden State Freeway/I-5 south to the 110 south, just as in the older picture. And you can see the Figueroa St. offramp and the 110 North thru-traffic lanes to its right.

For a modern perspective, looking south, here's a Google Earth image, looking south, towards the northern end of the tunnels:

And here's an image from 1941 of the same view, back when the Figueroa tunnels still had 2-way traffic, and the Arroyo Seco Parkway ended north of the tunnels (before the southbound lanes were extended into downtown and the tunnels became one-way northbound). You can see an offshoot ramp/road from the tunnels to Riverside Drive. And Mackerm, if you follow the northbound lanes past the tunnel, you can see the Figueroa offramp. You can even make out the back of the original exit sign that's in the photo you posted; I guess there was a period when some of the original signs on the Arroyo Seco Parkway co-existed with the newer, larger/easier-to-read signs.

Arturo Salazar Facebook
Here's the problem with it being shot just after the final tunnel, the topography is all wrong. The 110, then and now, goes downhill over the river after the offramp to the 5, that photo shows it going uphill and no river.

Old Posted Aug 14, 2022, 8:48 PM

Stumbled upon this fascinating document from 1893 while searching for something else. In the British Library under:

"The Land of Sunshine. Southern California; an authentic record of its natural features, resources and prospects ... Compiled for the Southern California World's Fair Association"

Here are two illustrations of interest:

A real mass of detail about the area from Santa Barbara to San Diego in 1893. You can read the whole thing here:

https://access.bl.uk/item/viewer/ark...%2C4932%2C3015

Cheers,

Earl

Old Posted Aug 14, 2022, 8:54 PM

Nice job, Sopas.

Old Posted Aug 14, 2022, 10:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BillinGlendaleCA View Post
Here's the problem with it being shot just after the final tunnel, the topography is all wrong. The 110, then and now, goes downhill over the river after the offramp to the 5, that photo shows it going uphill and no river.
I had to think about what you were saying for a few minutes, and then realized that it isn't the topography that's all wrong, just the compressed view from the telephoto lens from that old photo that kind of distorts the view.

Also, I'm thinking that maybe you're thinking of the 110 Freeway as being one bridge in this area, when it's actually two parallel bridges, and are at different inclines. It's very apparent here: https://www.google.com/maps/@34.0798...4!8i8192?hl=en

This is the view as if you were standing on the northbound lanes of the 110 past the tunnels, looking at the southbound 110 lanes, which do slant uphill to go over the hill; the northbound lanes don't slant that way because they shoot out from the tunnel which bore through the hills rather than going over it.

This is the view looking back towards the tunnels: https://www.google.com/maps/@34.0798...4!8i8192?hl=en

You can see really see the difference in the inclines here, and then here's the view going north, towards that Figueroa exit: https://www.google.com/maps/@34.0798...4!8i8192?hl=en

~ Charles Bukowski

Old Posted Aug 15, 2022, 12:01 AM

This snapshot recently popped up on eBay.

..."Antique Hollywood California H B Gordon Sunset Market Arden Milk Photo 1940's"

eBay

I'm gonna to go out on a limb and say the Sunset-Kingsley Market was located at Sunset and Kingsley. (hold your applause)....
but what caught my eye was the other business. Has anyone heard of the H.B. Gordon MFG. Co.? ...I'm intrigued that it says "laboratory" beneath the company's name)

Let's take a closer look because something else caught my eye.

There's no question that the Gordon Co. building was repurposed. . . but what I originally thought was merely a decorative facade might be an addition instead. Unless I'm seeing things, it appears to juts out from the original diagonal corner about twenty feet.

. .um. .even though the left end (next to where the car is parked) appears flush with the building. (optical illusion?)

Plus, that right door is awfully high.

Last edited by ethereal_reality; Aug 15, 2022 at 12:11 AM.

Old Posted Aug 15, 2022, 5:46 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Martin Pal View Post
And speaking of L.A. rainstorms...this photo can be found in many places around the internet (including Getty Images), but the info is rather sparse,
except to name the paddler as Myrna Loy c. 1925.

There seems little to go on in hopes of finding the location.
Quote:
Originally Posted by acorn8332 View Post
The street light to the left of Myrna Loy is a Llewellyn "Washington." They were found on Washington Boulevard (natch), West 11th Street between Main and Hope (still there), and West 6th Street in what's now Koreatown. Maybe that will help to pinpoint a location.

My money is on West 6th Street.

Maybe this alternate version of the photo has some clues to its location. Nah, me neither.

The photo is on the IMDB page for Bitter Apples (1927)

IMDB

Old Posted Aug 15, 2022, 5:20 PM

Nice addition, Mackerm. I'd always wondered if there might be some additional information if we could see more of the signage on the corner building without the telephone pole in the way. Answer: No.

(But if we can watch Bitter Apples...maybe?)

ETA -- The wikipedia page says:

Preservation status
The film is currently lost. In February 1956, Jack Warner sold the rights to all of his pre-December 1949 films to Associated Artists Productions. In 1969, UA donated 16mm prints of some Warner Bros. films from outside the United States. No copies of Bitter Apples are known to exist.

Which prompts a question: How do films not known to exist get IMDB ratings from 27 people?

Old Posted Aug 15, 2022, 6:10 PM

Probably this is the flooding reported February 1, 1926, from which reportage here is a pertinent clip:

LA Times, February 1, 1926.

Old Posted Aug 15, 2022, 11:40 PM

Quote:

Water and Power Associates Original is on LAPL, but to me the Water & Power version is SLIGHTLY clearer.

This is driving me bats. I should be able to figure this out, but it ain't happening. I did work out that the small square sign has a Route 11 symbol.. Martin Turnbull recently posted this elsewhere.
Here's the best I could do with Google Street View. This is the view from the bridge at Park Row Dr. Thanks again to HossC.

Google Street View

Last edited by Mackerm; Aug 15, 2022 at 11:52 PM.

Old Posted Aug 16, 2022, 1:16 AM

Quote:
Here's the best I could do with Google Street View. This is the view from the bridge at Park Row Dr. Thanks again to HossC.

Google Street View

You've got it, Mackerm. I might nudge that red rectangle up just a tad, but that's it.

My mistake was concentrating too much on the subject and not the position of the photographer. Standing at Park Row, the photographer would be over the 2nd tunnel. The full Google Street View shows the portals to the 3rd and 4th tunnels. You've cropped the 3rd tunnel out; the 4th is still visible. That horrible left exit to Riverside Drive (now to I-5) occurs immediately at the North portal of the 4th tunnel.

So, my original supposition that we've already passed the Riverside Drive (now I-5 North) exit on the left was incorrect. That ramp, once it passes under the Southbound Pasadena Freeway lanes would be almost adjacent to the cars entering the Freeway we do see on the left in both the OP and the GSV. But, the Southbound onramp is elevated as compared to the Northbound offramp, so we don't see it because of the camera position from the Park Row overcrossing.

I'd illustrate some of what I just said, but my hosting of images always ends in disaster.

Once again, congratulations HossC & Mackerm.

Old Posted Aug 16, 2022, 8:06 PM

The moving of houses and the companies that performed the task come up here often but I don't recall seeing a related matchbook before. Here's an eBay listing for a company that seemed to have a good run doing so under two different names. There is no date on the matchbook but it looks to be a fair bit later than the 1913 date on the cover.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/18553546761...c05a%7Ciid%3A1

Old Posted Aug 17, 2022, 4:27 PM

Bristolian--in re the M&M House Moving Company:

LA Times, 10/19/1948

LA Times, 10/19/1948

1141 N. Ditman Avenue now:

gsv

They have a nice view:

gsv

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Photography Forums > Found City Photos