Old Posted Aug 15, 2022, 11:00 PM

Mississauga: Ninth Line

All photos taken on July 7, 2022.

Old Posted Aug 16, 2022, 12:54 AM

a dead bird, literally

Old Posted Aug 17, 2022, 2:59 PM
cle/west village/shaolin

bravo as always.

i just cannot tell you how much i look forward to doady's photo threads.

100% j.g. ballard dystopia approved!

Old Posted Aug 17, 2022, 8:16 PM

So Mississauga has (or until recently had) farmland, still? Wouldn't have guessed that.

I know Canadian suburbia is much more sane and sustainable than in the States, but on average, it's even uglier, if that's possible. GTA burbs are mostly pretty grim. The huge arterials with the power lines and the Dallas-style fenced housing developments, but even more packed-in.

Old Posted Aug 17, 2022, 9:07 PM
♒︎ Empirically Canadian

The sign says it all; "A change has been proposed for these lands". The atmosphere reminds me of liminal space photography, in this case an undefined reality traversed and populated mostly with infrastructure, somewhere between suburban and rural. Great thread.

Old Posted Aug 17, 2022, 9:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crawford View Post
So Mississauga has (or until recently had) farmland, still? Wouldn't have guessed that.

I know Canadian suburbia is much more sane and sustainable than in the States, but on average, it's even uglier, if that's possible. GTA burbs are mostly pretty grim. The huge arterials with the power lines and the Dallas-style fenced housing developments, but even more packed-in.
I am pretty confident you can find farmland in all cities in the GTA.
Here is some farmland in the City of Toronto:

https://www.google.com/maps/@43.8480...7i16384!8i8192

https://www.google.com/maps/@43.8395...7i16384!8i8192

Quote:
According to Statistics Canada (2007a), there are
76 census farms on 2,710 ha (6,697 acres) within the city of Toronto, 52 of which report crops (not including Christmas trees) on 1,613 ha (3,986
acres), and an additional 310 ha (766 acres) in pasture. Located primarily in the northeastern
corner of the city, they produce mostly soybeans, grain corn, and small grains (about 1,000 ha or
2,471 acres), most of which is likely for animal feed. Seventeen farms report growing fruits,
berries, and nuts on 194 ha or 479 acres (the majority in grapes), and 11 farms report growing
vegetables on 126 ha (311 acres). Data suppression rules limited information on what vegetables are
produced, but it would appear to be diverse. Seven farms reported greenhouse operations, mostly
flowers with some vegetable production (likely transplants), totaling 30,487 sq. m (328,159 sq. ft.)
of greenhouse space.
http://torontourbangrowers.org/img/u...20Part%201.pdf

Last edited by Nite; Aug 18, 2022 at 2:21 AM.

Old Posted Aug 17, 2022, 9:46 PM
them bones

A transect of the unfortunate, complete with a dead bird...

Anywhere from Omaha to South Carolina and it all has that same 'this was once really pleasant farmland' feel...

...as the peeps in their Explorers and Pathfinders drive by at 100kph thinking 'why is this guy out here with a camera...'

Great thread...

Old Posted Aug 18, 2022, 1:17 AM
Selfie-stick vendor

looks midwestern, the straight roads

Old Posted Aug 18, 2022, 2:11 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crawford View Post

I dont think I've ever seen new-ish US subdivisions with such huge homes on such small lots like this:

https://www.google.com/maps/@43.8510...7i16384!8i8192

https://www.google.com/maps/@43.8267...7i16384!8i8192

Old Posted Aug 18, 2022, 4:04 AM

Yeah, you're probably right.

Those neighborhoods are just weird, from a U.S. perspective. There are U.S. sprawl neighborhoods with that kind of density, but they're lower-end.

Old Posted Aug 18, 2022, 2:14 PM
sick transit, gloria

Surprised there isn't more construction along 9th Line yet, it's a very strange space.

Essentially the 9th Line lands are those that are between said roadway and the 407 tollway, and currently undeveloped: https://goo.gl/maps/Z2J1eA9S7YW1NMEm8

Originally the lands belonged to Halton Region / Town of Milton as 9th Line was the dividing line between Halton and Peel Regions. When the 407 was constructed this left an odd vestigal space between the 407 and edge of Mississauga's urban area that didn't make a whole lot of sense. At the same time Halton Region didn't have much interest in developing them as they were focusing on their own growth areas, largely centred around Milton and the Uptown Oakville development area. So a lonnngggg and drawn out process to transfer the lands was undertaken with handover in 2010.

Development is tricky as generally speaking lands fronting 400 series highways are reserved for employment uses (industrial/office parks), and the area also has to accommodate space for the future 407 transitway. So there's not actually a whole lot of developable land and the City/Region wants to make the most of what's there, which means no tract subdivisions. Interactive concept map can be found here: https://mississauga.maps.arcgis.com/...5bde061bff7636

Old Posted Aug 18, 2022, 4:55 PM

Wasn't it originally part of the Parkway Belt Plan as well (an old 1960's planning document meant to preserve a corridor around the GTA for infrastructure such has hydro lines and a highway which eventually became the 407). It took a while to get released from that as well.

Old Posted Aug 18, 2022, 5:29 PM
sick transit, gloria

Quote:
Originally Posted by Innsertnamehere View Post
Wasn't it originally part of the Parkway Belt Plan as well (an old 1960's planning document meant to preserve a corridor around the GTA for infrastructure such has hydro lines and a highway which eventually became the 407). It took a while to get released from that as well.
Yep, parts of it were including what became the 407 and the protected ROW for the future transitway. IIRC the protected lands were relatively narrow in this area compared to some others. I had the (mis)fortune of dealing with that Plan for a year or so back in 2015, including mundane things like Provincial approval for people to build a garage...

Old Posted Aug 18, 2022, 9:58 PM
The Vomit Bag.

Interesting shots. My in-laws live nearby just off of 10th line, so I am in the area quite often.
"If you can convince the lowest white man he's better than the best colored man, he won't notice you're picking his pocket. Hell, give him somebody to look down on, and he'll empty his pockets for you."-President Lyndon B. Johnson Donald Trump is a poor man's idea of a rich man, a weak man's idea of a strong man, and a stupid man's idea of a smart man. Am I an Asseau?

Old Posted Aug 18, 2022, 11:25 PM

^ I remember you mentioned your connection to the area in the Central Erin Mills thread too. Ninth Line might be a bit out of the way for me but it seemed important to show it as some sort of dividing line while I still can. I was actually planning a larger thread, also including photographs of the portion of the Ninth Line corridor south of Britannia, closer to Erin Mills Town Centre, but after recent travelling through there, I realized it was too late, that part of the corridor not so much "liminal space" anymore, so I didn't photograph it. These photos just show the portion of the corridor north of Britannia.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrnyc View Post
bravo as always.

i just cannot tell you how much i look forward to doady's photo threads.

100% j.g. ballard dystopia approved!
And I cannot tell you guys how much I look forward to all your comments in my threads, even getting references to J.G. Ballard and "liminal space". I never got much response for my photos elsewhere, so I want to tell everyone that I appreciate the support I have gotten here.

Although I must admit, even though Joy Division is my favourite band, and their song "Atrocity Exhibition" is a reference to J.G. Ballard, I didn't have him mind when I was taking these photos. I didn't know about liminal space photography either. I probably was thinking more about David Plowden, whose book Heartland: The Plains and the Prairie I bought a couple of years ago and I even revisited again while editing these photos. He photographed a lot of the Great Plains of the US and the disappearing rural landscape. You can see his work here: https://www.davidplowden.com/photographs

Old Posted Aug 19, 2022, 2:04 AM
♒︎ Empirically Canadian

^ You mentioned liminal space, as I did. The first time I'd heard of the concept I thought it was nonsense because I was only hearing it presented as an abstraction, but not visually. I then thought of it as interstitial space (architectural) in a building, but liminal is different, usually a transition from what was, to what will be; this can create some uncomfortable and eerie feelings, perhaps with a form of tension, suspense, or foreboding, present in the photograph.

I really like the following video, it's fun and explains this photographer's version of it:

Video Link

Old Posted Aug 20, 2022, 4:17 AM

#28 almost looks like an alien saucer landed there.

Old Posted Aug 20, 2022, 11:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by yaletown_fella View Post
I dont think I've ever seen new-ish US subdivisions with such huge homes on such small lots like this:

https://www.google.com/maps/@43.8510...7i16384!8i8192
I'm guessing that drainage is not a big concern for that homeowner.

End

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Photography Forums > My City Photos