HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Pacific West > Portland > Downtown & City of Portland

Old Posted Jun 8, 2023, 8:20 PM
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jakz View Post
According to an engineer I know who's working on this project, it went on hold a month or two ago. I don't know the details.
Of course just like I predicted

Old Posted Jun 8, 2023, 8:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CorbinWarrick View Post
Of course just like I predicted
On hold =/= dead. Being a pessimist of literally every project doesn't hold any "prediction" weight. You say the same things on literally every thread so that the few times a project does die (which happens literally everywhere, not just Portland), you can say, "see, I told you so!!". Do you not realize how silly you sound and how childish this has become. Come on dude.

Old Posted Jun 8, 2023, 10:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by uncommon.name View Post
On hold =/= dead. Being a pessimist of literally every project doesn't hold any "prediction" weight. You say the same things on literally every thread so that the few times a project does die (which happens literally everywhere, not just Portland), you can say, "see, I told you so!!". Do you not realize how silly you sound and how childish this has become. Come on dude.
Actually, i’m currently working on this project with my team and the user above your comment is correct. We’re currently on a standstill with this project. We’re not sure if it may even survive as it’s currently tied up with the city and investors. We’ll see what happens. I really hope we can resume with the process soon but we’ve been on hold since around April. All the best.

Old Posted Jun 8, 2023, 10:53 PM
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yomane View Post
Actually, i’m currently working on this project with my team and the user above your comment is correct. We’re currently on a standstill with this project. We’re not sure if it may even survive as it’s currently tied up with the city and investors. We’ll see what happens. I really hope we can resume with the process soon but we’ve been on hold since around April. All the best.
Thanks for the confirmation. I knew something was fishy months ago as proof with my comments

Old Posted Jul 16, 2023, 3:28 PM

Noticed this activity on Portland Maps. I have no idea what it means.

https://www.portlandmaps.com/detail/...did/?p=R246187

Old Posted Jul 17, 2023, 3:25 PM

It is the temporary bracing for the foundation excavation. The lateral tie-backs go beneath the street.

Old Posted Jul 17, 2023, 4:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rob Nob View Post
It is the temporary bracing for the foundation excavation. The lateral tie-backs go beneath the street.
I'm I correct to assume this project is starting to move ahead? I know there are some on this forum that are working on it.

Old Posted Jul 17, 2023, 4:22 PM

I would assume this is following a demo permit, so demo should be moving forward. It is also usually design build, so that'd mean the excavation and shoring subcontractor is on board. Worst case at this point would seem to be a gaping whole with nothing in it, like Park Avenue West was for so long.

Old Posted Oct 24, 2023, 8:55 PM

Quote:
Why a 30-story Portland waterfront tower is 'on hold'

The developer of a 30-story residential skyscraper on the Willamette said the project is indefinitely "on hold" after permitting took a long time and financing became too difficult to secure.

"We missed our window," said Aaron Jones, co-president of Eastbank Development, an affiliate of NBP Capital.

Jones previously planned on breaking ground midway through this year for the tower where the RiverPlace Athletic Club once operated. The building is proposed for 150 S. Montgomery St.
...continues at the Portland Business Journal.

www.twitter.com/maccoinnich

Old Posted Oct 25, 2023, 1:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by maccoinnich View Post
Didn't this move quickly from being announced and into permitting stages? Was permitting really part of this delay? Must have been a really tight window they needed to secure financing.

This being said, current interest rate environment will likely kill developments nationwide. So that part make sense.

Old Posted Oct 25, 2023, 4:48 PM

The design review for the Phase 1 tower went smoothly and permitting didn't seem to be taking that long for a project of its size. What did take a long time was the master plan process for the entire site.

If the Housing Regulatory Relief Project project passes as proposed I believe the zoning entitlements should stay valid until 2028, so there's always a chance that the project will restart (as the Press Blocks did).

www.twitter.com/maccoinnich

Old Posted Oct 25, 2023, 7:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by maccoinnich View Post
CorbinWarrick's head is going to explode.

Old Posted Oct 25, 2023, 8:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by PhillyPDX View Post
Didn't this move quickly from being announced and into permitting stages? Was permitting really part of this delay? Must have been a really tight window they needed to secure financing.

This being said, current interest rate environment will likely kill developments nationwide. So that part make sense.
Yeah, interest rates right now are killing or putting a pause of projects all over the place. We have one project that we are going to phase an existing building remodel now, and then delay a second building ground up construction at the same site over a couple year span until interest rates come back down, rather than have it all done at once.

Old Posted Oct 26, 2023, 8:01 AM
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by eric cantona View Post
CorbinWarrick's head is going to explode.
I’m going to be mature about it. I’m use to how Portland is now.

I’ll say this though.

When the permitting and public groveling process is longer than the actual build times, we’ve got a problem

Old Posted Oct 26, 2023, 8:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CorbinWarrick View Post
When the permitting and public groveling process is longer than the actual build times, we’ve got a problem
You'll get no argument at all from me on this point.

Old Posted Oct 26, 2023, 9:28 PM

Location: Portland (part-time); warm foreign countries (part-time)
Quote:
Originally Posted by eric cantona View Post
You'll get no argument at all from me on this point.
This is anecdotal, but I am on the board of a historic building being purchased by a developer who has done projects in Portland for some years. We had a meeting a month ago to discuss the schedule. The developer described the decline of bureau of buildings reviews as a result of the pandemic, the working from home, the departure or retirement of experienced plans examiners, and now a very inexperienced plans examiner staff handling current projects. The loss of mentors and institutional memory have hindered the ability of BDS to efficiently process permit documents. Conditions were actually better before the pandemic.

End

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Pacific West > Portland > Downtown & City of Portland