HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Global Projects & Construction > City Compilations

Old Posted Feb 10, 2024, 5:30 AM

In short, yes. The condos (only 200 units) will most likely be built with over-the-top amenities and the most opulent finishes money can buy. Prices aren’t set yet, but I expect them to list in the $10m+ range. The project will also be home to a new Aman Hotel which is arguably the most expensive and exclusive luxury resort chain in the world. The Condos will be branded and have all the same amenities as Aman.
Quote:
Originally Posted by clubtokyo View Post
Obvi I don't live in LA, and I think the design is fine. I am just curious how is this a 5B project? Will the condos just be super high quality?

Old Posted Feb 10, 2024, 11:37 PM
クラブトクヨ

Cool! Thanks for the details!

Old Posted Feb 12, 2024, 6:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Illithid Dude View Post
That's not a redesign. That's the Santa Monica Blvd entrance. We were being shown the Wilshire entrance before.
Not sure what you mean? The 2 towers and the mid-rise hotel look different than the previous renderings. That low rise structure with the garden canopy between the new mid-rise hotel and the Beverly Hilton is completely different and way less inspired looking. As I said it had a more organic Babylon inspired look, now it's watered down.

Old Posted Feb 13, 2024, 4:33 PM

Less than 200 units of housing, 75 hotel suites, 30,000 square feet of commercial space and....1900 parking spaces.

Old Posted Feb 13, 2024, 6:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by edale View Post
Less than 200 units of housing, 75 hotel suites, 30,000 square feet of commercial space and....1900 parking spaces.
Maybe the parking will be utilized for the adjacent Beverly Hilton and Waldorf hotels as well?

Old Posted Feb 13, 2024, 6:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LAsam View Post
Maybe the parking will be utilized for the adjacent Beverly Hilton and Waldorf hotels as well?
Even so, that's an absurd amount of parking. This is a cool project, but it's a vanity one for sure. 5 billion dollars to build >200 units of housing, >100 hotel rooms, 1900 parking spots and a small amount of retail. Oh, and some gardens that will only be partly accessible to the public. Yay for more tall buildings, but this project seems like pretty poor land use to me.

Old Posted Feb 13, 2024, 6:38 PM
A Man In Dandism

It's a lot of parking for sure, but I think most of the condo residents, hotel guests, and members of the a 100k sq ft private club here will be driving to/from this location. It's not a very pedestrian friendly area (one side doesn't even have sidewalks) and I can't imagine a lot of people from the adjacent neighborhoods walking here as well. Given the $5 billion ultra luxury branding of this project, I suspect the vast majority of the clientele isn't riding the bus, and this project is a good 15-20 min walk from the future D Line stations at Century City/Constellation and Wilshire/Rodeo. If they are members of the club, they will likely drive there in their luxury cars.

Edit: It looks like they do plan to create new bike lanes and walkways that better integrate the publicly accessible gardens and shops with the surrounding neighborhoods. I'm not sure how many people routinely walk or bike in this area, but at least they are recognizing a need to make improvements. Although by providing 1900 parking spaces, I'm guessing they still anticipate the majority of people to be accessing this site by private vehicle.

Last edited by homebucket; Feb 13, 2024 at 6:52 PM.

Old Posted Feb 14, 2024, 3:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by homebucket View Post
It's a lot of parking for sure, but I think most of the condo residents, hotel guests, and members of the a 100k sq ft private club here will be driving to/from this location. It's not a very pedestrian friendly area (one side doesn't even have sidewalks) and I can't imagine a lot of people from the adjacent neighborhoods walking here as well. Given the $5 billion ultra luxury branding of this project, I suspect the vast majority of the clientele isn't riding the bus, and this project is a good 15-20 min walk from the future D Line stations at Century City/Constellation and Wilshire/Rodeo. If they are members of the club, they will likely drive there in their luxury cars.

Edit: It looks like they do plan to create new bike lanes and walkways that better integrate the publicly accessible gardens and shops with the surrounding neighborhoods. I'm not sure how many people routinely walk or bike in this area, but at least they are recognizing a need to make improvements. Although by providing 1900 parking spaces, I'm guessing they still anticipate the majority of people to be accessing this site by private vehicle.
I disagree. Its across Santa Monica blvd from Little Santa Monica Blvd, which is walkable/urban to Century City. I used to work nearby. Its a pleasant walk.https://www.google.com/maps/@34.0663...8192?entry=ttu
https://www.google.com/maps/@34.0651...8192?entry=ttu

And its in walking distance from the Golden Triangle. Really acfross the street.

Old Posted Feb 14, 2024, 4:42 PM
A Man In Dandism

Quote:
Originally Posted by LA21st View Post
I disagree. Its across Santa Monica blvd from Little Santa Monica Blvd, which is walkable/urban to Century City. I used to work nearby. Its a pleasant walk.https://www.google.com/maps/@34.0663...8192?entry=ttu

And its in walking distance from the Golden Triangle. Really acfross the street.
That looks like a pretty nice street (although a little too wide for my tastes with 4 lanes of traffic + 2 parking lanes, ideally you'd like to see that reduced to 2 lanes of traffic + 2 parking lanes). But I was more referring to the street directly next to the project, seen here. As you can see, one side of the street doesn't even have a sidewalk, so pedestrians here have to walk through a surface parking lot, and the other side is loading docks and driveways. I'm sure the developers saw this, which is why they plan to make new bike lanes and walkways, to increase accessibility for pedestrians and cyclists, and I can't say I disagree with that plan.

Old Posted Feb 14, 2024, 4:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by homebucket View Post
That looks like a pretty nice street (although a little too wide for my tastes with 4 lanes of traffic + 2 parking lanes, ideally you'd like to see that reduced to 2 lanes of traffic + 2 parking lanes). But I was more referring to the street directly next to the project, seen here. As you can see, one side of the street doesn't even have a sidewalk, so pedestrians here have to walk through a surface parking lot, and the other side is loading docks and driveways. I'm sure the developers saw this, which is why they plan to make new bike lanes and walkways, to increase accessibility for pedestrians and cyclists, and I can't say I disagree with that plan.
Sure, but that lot is rare exception to the business district of Beverly hills. Its very walkable on many streets. Its one of the most walkable "luxury" neighborhoods in America really.

Old Posted Feb 14, 2024, 5:00 PM
A Man In Dandism

Quote:
Originally Posted by LA21st View Post
Sure, but that lot is rare exception to the business district of Beverly hills. Its very walkable on many streets. Its one of the most walkable "luxury" neighborhoods in America really.
Right. Anyway, I think even though there's a lot of parking included for this rather exclusive site, it's good the developers are trying to find ways to improve connectivity with the rest of the existing community with publicly accessible gardens and open space. They could've easily decided to wall it off and make it for private use only, unless there is some city regulation that makes it mandatory for every project of this size to include some sort of public open space.

Old Posted Feb 14, 2024, 7:03 PM
El Guátqui

Key takeaway from the last several pages of this thread:

Old Posted Feb 14, 2024, 8:27 PM
Inveterate Angeleno

^ This is why I try my hardest not to get excited about a rendering. If it ever breaks ground, I then wait until a good amount of facade treatments are in place before making my initial assessment.

— Jerome Bruner

Old Posted Feb 14, 2024, 11:49 PM
Paramoderator

It looks to be like the organic balconies were designed before floor plans were finalized. Now they've figured out the floor plans and have arranged the balconies accordingly. I think this is going to be a great looking project. It's hard to make the claim that a project is being value engineered when it is costing an astronomical five billion dollars. My only gripe is that the HVAC enclosures on the roofs aren't curved like they were in the original renderings, though it's not like the average pedestrian is going to be able to see those anyways.

EDIT: I also prefer how the new design iteration defers to the Beverly Hilton more. I prefer the added space between buildings, allowing the iconic midcentury design of the Hilton room to breathe.

End

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Global Projects & Construction > City Compilations