HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Mountain West

Old Posted Jun 22, 2017, 8:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Liberty Wellsian View Post
Inland port by the new prison. From 600 west to 400 west and from 600 south to 800 south becomes the new zoo. The Hogle zoo becomes east bench housing.
No. I like where the zoo is right now and there's no reason to completely rebuild the zoo to put more housing in the east bench, especially when a wasteful golf course about 4 times the size of the zoo is immediately next to it and prime real estate to be turned into a civic park or housing...

Old Posted Jun 22, 2017, 9:32 PM
The Drifter

I would love to see the golf course broken into expansion space for the zoo and the rest into a park before it ever gets turned into housing.

Old Posted Jun 22, 2017, 11:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jubguy3 View Post
No. I like where the zoo is right now and there's no reason to completely rebuild the zoo to put more housing in the east bench, especially when a wasteful golf course about 4 times the size of the zoo is immediately next to it and prime real estate to be turned into a civic park or housing...
What could you possibly like about where the zoo is now? You have to get there by car, transit isn't really an option. It brings in people from across the Wasatch to our city but keeps them far away from you know... our city. These people hop on the freeway and include nothing other than the zoo in their visit to Salt lake.

Old Posted Jun 23, 2017, 12:28 AM

Quote:
Inland port by the new prison. From 600 west to 400 west and from 600 south to 800 south becomes the new zoo. The Hogle zoo becomes east bench housing.
That location, being entirely too close to I-15, would be detrimental to the health of the animals.

Old Posted Jun 23, 2017, 12:51 AM
One Thing At A Time

Anyone know what is going on with the lot on the corner of 600 s. and 300 e? Old building has been completely torn down.

Old Posted Jun 23, 2017, 1:12 AM

Quote:
What could you possibly like about where the zoo is now? You have to get there by car, transit isn't really an option. It brings in people from across the Wasatch to our city but keeps them far away from you know... our city. These people hop on the freeway and include nothing other than the zoo in their visit to Salt lake.
It's close to the university and research park. Just so you know, the 3 bus does pass by the zoo on select trips. Transit accessibility is probably .01 percent as important as like what was mentioned, the health of the animals close to I-15. I'm sorry, but this is a horrible idea.

Old Posted Jun 23, 2017, 1:15 AM

So I'm looking at that intersection PusherMan. Looks like there were a couple of smaller sized early 1900's apartment buildings. They were probably quite attractive in their day, but somebody did a distasteful job of updating them. I'm assuming there the ones with the vintage yellow brick and red sandstone base and accents. That was a really beautiful brick that they used back then. Too bad that somebody didn't keep their character, instead of destroying them with a 70's style trashy upgrade. Hopefully, if they're going to build a larger residential mid-rise, it will have more character than that large red brick apartment building kitty corner, across the street.

Old Posted Jun 23, 2017, 1:18 AM
The Drifter

I like where the zoo is. Having Emigration Creek running through it and the varied terrain gives Hogle Zoo a beautiful quality to it that the gateway area will not offer. As I said, the golf course can get pieced out to the zoo and a city park.

Old Posted Jun 23, 2017, 1:46 AM

Agree Steven, The setting is one of qualities that helps to elevate it among your typical zoo's. Also, being next door to the This is the Place State Park gives it a lot of shared exposure with tourists and school/family excursions. I would like to see it expand some more, but is that even possible onto the Bonneville Golf Course? I mean, isn't that one of the most popular course's in the State?

Old Posted Jun 23, 2017, 3:44 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by delts145 View Post
Agree Steven, The setting is one of qualities that helps to elevate it among your typical zoo's. Also, being next door to the This is the Place State Park gives it a lot of shared exposure with tourists and school/family excursions. I would like to see it expand some more, but is that even possible onto the Bonneville Golf Course? I mean, isn't that one of the most popular course's in the State?
Hopefully it shouldn't matter, golfing is an awful use of land and water. Its exclusionary to like 99 percent of the people who aren't going to pay to go to a golf course, and the amount of watering and maintenance needed for golfing surfaces is astronomical. Its time for urban golf courses to die

Old Posted Jun 23, 2017, 4:04 AM

http://www.sltrib.com/news/5432361-1...ayor-asks-dabc

More nonsense from our elected officials about both liquor and the homeless population. Makes me wonder what prominent real estate firm has expressed interest in this location?

Old Posted Jun 23, 2017, 4:36 AM
One Thing At A Time

Quote:
Originally Posted by bob rulz View Post
http://www.sltrib.com/news/5432361-1...ayor-asks-dabc

More nonsense from our elected officials about both liquor and the homeless population. Makes me wonder what prominent real estate firm has expressed interest in this location?
I'm down for them to move the store but not for the reasons they are sighting. Downtown needs a much larger store with better parking for sure. The article isn't wrong about that. Store 1 and the wine store on 3rd and 3rd are much too small for downtown. At least twice as big would be lovely!

Old Posted Jun 23, 2017, 6:56 AM

I agree that downtown desperately needs a marquee liquor store, and preferably maybe even one closer to the center of downtown. That said, I doubt the motivations to relocate it are out of the interest of people who want to buy liquor.

I'll believe that it moves to a nice, new location with enough space and decent parking as opposed to a cramped, forgotten, dumpy building when it happens.

Old Posted Jun 23, 2017, 9:13 AM
One Thing At A Time

Quote:
Originally Posted by bob rulz View Post
I agree that downtown desperately needs a marquee liquor store, and preferably maybe even one closer to the center of downtown. That said, I doubt the motivations to relocate it are out of the interest of people who want to buy liquor.

I'll believe that it moves to a nice, new location with enough space and decent parking as opposed to a cramped, forgotten, dumpy building when it happens.
Yeah. I guess that is true but considering how small, dumpy, and poorly placed that store is I think the only option is to improve. I think they'd be hard pressed to find a worse building.

Old Posted Jun 23, 2017, 3:26 PM

I'm surprised that people like the Hogle zoo and think it's beautiful. Also surprised that we care more about the health of zoo animals than people.

On the liquor store thing not only should the downtown location be replaced with a location that has adequate parking but they should add a truly downtown location as well. The bottom floor of the Dinwoody building would be an ideal location for tourists.

Old Posted Jun 23, 2017, 4:33 PM
SLC Lifer

Quote:
I'm surprised that people like the Hogle zoo and think it's beautiful. Also surprised that we care more about the health of zoo animals than people.
You're kidding right? Hogle participates in Species Survival Plan (SSP) program for multiple endangered species including Snow Leopard, Amur Leopards, Amur Tigers etc. It is an amazing zoo with super skilled biologists and professionals in an incredible environment at the mouth of Emigration Canyon. Hogle is one of our gems and it's in the perfect spot. There is no way you could re-create or super-impose those environments downtown. Canyons, creeks, multiple hundred year old forest, etc. Have even been there? For crappy housing? Gittoutaheeea..

EDIT: Besides, those parcels you're talking about need to be our future MLB stadium. Heh.

Old Posted Jun 23, 2017, 5:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jubguy3 View Post
Hopefully it shouldn't matter, golfing is an awful use of land and water. Its exclusionary to like 99 percent of the people who aren't going to pay to go to a golf course, and the amount of watering and maintenance needed for golfing surfaces is astronomical. Its time for urban golf courses to die
Bonneville golf course is one of my favorites in Utah.

There are plenty of people who golf for recreation. I don't think public land for golf is a bad thing. It is a gem because of its convenient location and reasonable cost.

I like to walk the course and frequent Bonneville and Nibley many times more than the city parks.

Not trying to start a war with you, but there is more than 1% of the population that plays golf.

Old Posted Jun 23, 2017, 5:17 PM

New 10,000-seat state Fairpark arena nearing completion and will be ready for Days of ‘47 Rodeo

New facility set to be finished July 1; park officials hope to transform area into a nightlife destination.

Quote:
A new 10,000-seat arena at the Utah State Fairpark is 95 percent complete and will be ready in plenty of time for the Days of '47 Rodeo debut at the venue, says Larry Mullenax, park executive director.

The $17 million facility was funded by the state ($10 million), Salt Lake County and Salt Lake City ($3 million), The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints ($3 million) and private donors.

"The new arena is a great example of how the community benefits when a public and private collaboration is formed," said Mullenax.

Although it is set to be finished July 1, the arena will have its first private event June 30. The first large event is the BMW Motorcycle Owners of America's annual rally from July 13 to 16, which the organization estimates will host 6,500 BMW motorcyclists.
With the approaching completion of the arena, state officials hope to change the atmosphere of the Fairpark. Pat's Barbecue is relocating full time to the park. Mullenax said that the Fairpark is speaking to other companies that are interested in moving to the park as well. The place aims to eventually become more than a venue for events but a nightlife destination.

"The arena will allow the Fairpark to produce and promote numerous events — rodeos, barrel races, concerts, motor sports," said Mullenax. "The exposure and positive economic impact on the surrounding Fairpark community will lead to additional development opportunities."
http://www.sltrib.com/news/5408572-1...-arena-nearing

Old Posted Jun 23, 2017, 6:34 PM

Quote:
I agree with what you say most of the time, but yikes, this is incredibly tone deaf. The Hogle Zoo is an amazing zoo for SLC, and is one of 10% of zoos in the USA associated with the AZA that places strict requirements on animal health, breeding / genetic diversity, types of exhibits, environments, etc. Long story short, Hogle Zoo is held to an incredibly high standard and I don't think that moving the zoo would help.

I'm not sure if you knew this, but since the zoo is tax funded, every exhibit at the zoo has to be approved by voters. I think a lot of people like the current location and wouldn't want to move it to a "family unfriendly" part of downtown.

Can I just ask what you meant by saying that human health is more important than animal health? How is keeping the zoo by the mouth of the canyon unhealthy for people? Is it because they can't ride the bus to the zoo the one time they go each year? Is keeping animals next to a noisy, tree-less, blighted environment somehow healthier for humans either? This makes absolutely no sense to me. We aren't prioritizing the health of the animals over "people", but its not like the Hogle Zoo is a superfund site. + I don't think many people would want to go to a zoo full of sick animals and no old growth vegetation.

Lastly, I don't think you considered that the zoo would have to be quartered by 7th south and 5th west. I'm opposed to removing streets, and I can't imagine what a nightmare it would be for Hogle Zoo to manage pedestrian safety / ticketing, especially if each part of the zoo has to be blocked off. You could do roads like the kind that crisscross Balboa Park in San Diego, but even then, everything there is undivided by the roads - there aren't continuous institutions that are bisected by roads, only the park itself.

I'm sorry, but this doesn't make any sense. This is a horrible idea. The Hogle Zoo is a great zoo in an (environmentally) amazing location. The fact that you want to move it to what is essentially prime development for the granary district in order to put in "east bench housing"... makes me sad.

Old Posted Jun 23, 2017, 6:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JMK View Post
Bonneville golf course is one of my favorites in Utah.

There are plenty of people who golf for recreation. I don't think public land for golf is a bad thing. It is a gem because of its convenient location and reasonable cost.

I like to walk the course and frequent Bonneville and Nibley many times more than the city parks.

Not trying to start a war with you, but there is more than 1% of the population that plays golf.
Sure, 2%. Golf is an example of a sport that requires a lot of money to invest in equipment, fees, etc. - like Polo, Sailing, car racing, etc. - this alone leads many people to shy away from golfing. Its very much a "1%" sport.

I would be okay with large swaths of land being used up for golf, but the problem is that

1. we can't afford to water golf courses

2. if 170 acres of land in the east bench are accessible only to people who are there to pay to play golf, then I'm not okay with it. Its open space, but its not being preserved as a natural gem or a park. Therefore, it isn't really public land, and that's why I'm not okay with the large amount of land golf has swallowed up in SLC - especially when SLC has a lower area of parks per capita than other large cities. You shouldn't have to pay to get into a park. Golfing is entirely suited to suburban settings, not the east bench.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Mountain West