HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Southwest

Old Posted Jul 9, 2020, 12:20 AM
Modulator

What is wrong with this city council? This is why we'll end up with the Berger proposal for the Regency Garage RFP instead of a stellar skyline changing tower that already has a potential major office tenant on board.

Sigh...

Edit: You need to share access for your Google Drive folder.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ASU Diablo View Post
Allright, I guess the City of Phoenix - Housing Department finally got with the times and decided to scan the proposals and send them to me in PDF. Of course the city decided to go with the shortest and shittiest proposal of all LOL I am a fan of the Synergy proposal...

As a reminder, NAC was the winning RFP:

NAC - 5 stories, 201 units
Synergy - 8 stories at 90', 429 units
Gorman & Co - 7 stories at 79', 264 units

Synergy -

Gorman & Co -

Here is the link to my Google Drive housing all 3 proposals: https://drive.google.com/drive/folde...me?usp=sharing

Old Posted Jul 9, 2020, 12:55 AM

There has to be a reason, even if its a bad one. So who has the city councils balls at NAC that can push their projects through?

Old Posted Jul 9, 2020, 1:17 AM

Is there anyway to find out a reason why NAC was chosen?

I personally think the Gorman proposal looks the nicest, has better massing than Synergy with the two stepbacks and that really nice glass corner feature on 3rd with the large roof overhang. Synergy is not bad, I like the height, just a big boring and plain. It is just disappointing they chose the worst proposal once again. Especially when the others provide nearly double the amount of affordable housing...

Old Posted Jul 9, 2020, 1:31 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CrestedSaguaro View Post
What is wrong with this city council? This is why we'll end up with the Berger proposal for the Regency Garage RFP instead of a stellar skyline changing tower that already has a potential major office tenant on board.

Sigh...

Edit: You need to share access for your Google Drive folder.
Wait, when was Berger confirmed for the Regency? I know they were recommended but it wasn't final, aren't they reviewing this in August?

Last edited by BA744PHX; Jul 9, 2020 at 1:45 AM.

Old Posted Jul 9, 2020, 5:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by IndyAZ View Post
Is there anyway to find out a reason why NAC was chosen?

I personally think the Gorman proposal looks the nicest, has better massing than Synergy with the two stepbacks and that really nice glass corner feature on 3rd with the large roof overhang. Synergy is not bad, I like the height, just a big boring and plain. It is just disappointing they chose the worst proposal once again. Especially when the others provide nearly double the amount of affordable housing...
The City has some sort of points system (making sure proposal meets all minimum requirements, potential ROI to the city, and other things) that they go by. I remember seeing a copy of it but can't seem to find it anymore. Since this is the 3rd NAC project to be built in downtown, I figure they have somehow figured out a way to get awarded the most points without necessarily being the best proposal (perhaps in terms of density, height, etc). It's probably the selection process that needs to be revamped before the "recommendation" makes its way to the City Council.

Procurement officer is David and perhaps he can provide a firm answer as to why NAC proposal was chosen (david.wisniewski@phoenix.gov)

Last edited by ASU Diablo; Jul 9, 2020 at 7:52 PM.

Old Posted Jul 9, 2020, 5:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BA744PHX View Post
Wait, when was Berger confirmed for the Regency? I know they were recommended but it wasn't final, aren't they reviewing this in August?
I haven't heard anything about a final approval by the City of Berger proposal so this is probably pending.

The same thing for the NAC proposal for Deck Vista RFP. The article mentioned City Council approval was supposed to happen in June but I never saw anything?

"Native American Connections had the winning proposal which will be presented to the City Council next month (June) to approve the project. The design will be completed next summer with construction starting October 2021. The project is expected to be completed in November 2023."

Old Posted Jul 9, 2020, 7:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ASU Diablo View Post
The City has some sort of points system (making sure proposal meets all minimum requirements, potential ROI to the city, and other things) that they go by. I remember seeing a copy of it but can't seem to find it anymore. Since this is the 3rd NAC project to be selected, I figure they have somehow figured out a way to get awarded the most points without necessarily being the best proposal (perhaps in terms of density, height, etc). It's probably the selection process that needs to be revamped before the "recommendation" makes its way to the City Council.

Procurement officer is David and perhaps he can provide a firm answer as to why NAC proposal was chosen (david.wisniewski@phoenix.gov)
David had previously emailed me with the evaluation criteria:

Proposed Development
325 points

Proposed City Commitment and Benefit to the City
250 points

Proposer Qualifications, Experience & Financial Capacity
250 points

Proposed Project Timeline
175 points

Minimum Requirement:
The proposal must include a minimum of 200 units, with a mix of affordable and market rate units.

Old Posted Jul 14, 2020, 5:21 PM

Phoenix Country Club Residences

Article on page 16 about the Phoenix Country Club Residences being built at 7th St and Thomas. The article mentions that this project should get underway by late 2020.
https://azbigmedia.com/publications/...y-august-2020/

Old Posted Jul 14, 2020, 10:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sunsfan87 View Post
Article on page 16 about the Phoenix Country Club Residences being built at 7th St and Thomas. The article mentions that this project should get underway by late 2020.
https://azbigmedia.com/publications/...y-august-2020/
There’s a nice write-up on page 45 onward about some projects in Downtown Mesa, Tempe, and Gilbert.

Old Posted Jul 21, 2020, 9:43 PM

Haverly - Toll Brothers at Thomas/Central

Update on Toll Brothers site at Thomas/Central for the Haverly apartments.

Old Posted Jul 21, 2020, 9:48 PM

[QUOTE=Sean1187;8988125]Update on Toll Brothers site at Thomas/Central for the Haverly apartments.

Wow. How long did they have that lot? 14-15 years?

Old Posted Jul 21, 2020, 9:55 PM

Someone works for Amerco, eh?

Old Posted Jul 21, 2020, 10:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by biggus diggus View Post
Someone works for Amerco, eh?
That is correct. I've been watching this lot for years.

Toll Bros website states 323 units, 5 stories.
https://www.tollbrothersapartmentliv...perty/haverly/

Old Posted Jul 21, 2020, 10:28 PM
Modulator

[QUOTE=downtownphxguy12;8988128]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sean1187 View Post
Update on Toll Brothers site at Thomas/Central for the Haverly apartments.

Wow. How long did they have that lot? 14-15 years?
...and they waited until a pandemic to finally build

Old Posted Jul 21, 2020, 10:31 PM

Quote:
That is correct. I've been watching this lot for years.

Toll Bros website states 323 units, 5 stories.
https://www.tollbrothersapartmentliv...perty/haverly/
Is that building as interesting inside as the outside would make it seem? One of my clients is on your company's leadership team and for years I've wished he would invite me to the office so I can see the inside of the building. We always meet at Starbucks.

Old Posted Jul 22, 2020, 2:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by biggus diggus View Post
Is that building as interesting inside as the outside would make it seem? One of my clients is on your company's leadership team and for years I've wished he would invite me to the office so I can see the inside of the building. We always meet at Starbucks.
LOL no, it's just your typical office building. We recently renovated several floors in the north tower, there's still one floor that looks like it's straight out of the 80s. I've always liked the exterior design of these towers tbh. I tend to be in the minority, but you're not missing much on the inside. The ONLY real interesting portion is the foyer of the south tower that faces Central Ave. It's sad U-Haul doesn't utilize that area. I'll get pics of it.

I'll be sure to post images once they start the U-Haul conference and fitness center. Which will eventually happen. The groundbreaking ceremony was back in December.

Old Posted Jul 22, 2020, 8:05 PM

Quote:
LOL no, it's just your typical office building. We recently renovated several floors in the north tower, there's still one floor that looks like it's straight out of the 80s. I've always liked the exterior design of these towers tbh. I tend to be in the minority, but you're not missing much on the inside. The ONLY real interesting portion is the foyer of the south tower that faces Central Ave. It's sad U-Haul doesn't utilize that area. I'll get pics of it.

I'll be sure to post images once they start the U-Haul conference and fitness center. Which will eventually happen. The groundbreaking ceremony was back in December.
Did they fix the building's floor leveling with their renovations? I remember my chair used to slide to the center of the room when I wasn't in it. I wish they'd use that lobby on Central instead of the one on Roanoke.

Old Posted Jul 23, 2020, 2:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by amaroo View Post
Did they fix the building's floor leveling with their renovations? I remember my chair used to slide to the center of the room when I wasn't in it. I wish they'd use that lobby on Central instead of the one on Roanoke.
HAHA I can't say I've experienced that problem, but you can feel it in certain areas where it's not completely flat and you can see a slight downward slope as you go from the middle of the building to the north side of it (in the north tower at least).

Old Posted Jul 23, 2020, 4:37 PM
Modulator

Quote:
HAHA I can't say I've experienced that problem, but you can feel it in certain areas where it's not completely flat and you can see a slight downward slope as you go from the middle of the building to the north side of it (in the north tower at least).
Strangely, the Phoenix Financial Center has this same exact issue...on all the floors. You can see the floors have a very slight slope when standing by the elevators. Every time any of us got out of our chairs, away it went!

I never really researched this before, but does anyone think this could be due to settling settling of the towers over time? I highly doubt the towers were built with a floor slope intentionally?

Old Posted Jul 24, 2020, 8:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TJPHXskyscraperfan View Post
Hopefully they still build Alta Warehouse, that’s so crazy, I hope this doesn’t happen to any other project going up. Sure hope it wasn’t arson. Between this and the Battery, this could be a cheaper option for people. I’m sure it will be. Cheaper that most downtown apartments, there should be some great views of Downtown too!
I was going south on 7th Ave. early this morning, and it appeared there was new framing on the northwest portion of the property, closest to the tracks.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Southwest