HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Atlantic Provinces > Halifax > Halifax Peninsula & Downtown Dartmouth

Old Posted Jan 16, 2009, 10:10 PM
hähnchenbrüstfiletstüc

Quote:
Originally Posted by worldlyhaligonian View Post
Stumbled across this during my daily job search, pretty much answers your question.

http://www.careerbeacon.ca/search/en...3/MB0901162153
So who wants to forward this to Bev Miller or Howard Epstein?

Old Posted Jan 16, 2009, 11:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bedford_DJ View Post
Well the problem with tearing it down would be the massive power cable sitting on top of the building. Judging by direction it might be the main power source for the Seaport.
Not sure about the seaport specifically, but I can tell you those high tension lines follow the rail cut up to the Fairview area, then cross the harbour next to the MacKay Bridge before terminating at Tufts Cove. They may be providing power for a good part of the downtown area...so you're right, tearing it down would be tricky, but not unpossible..

Old Posted Jan 17, 2009, 12:11 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by hfx_chris View Post
Not sure about the seaport specifically, but I can tell you those high tension lines follow the rail cut up to the Fairview area, then cross the harbour next to the MacKay Bridge before terminating at Tufts Cove. They may be providing power for a good part of the downtown area...so you're right, tearing it down would be tricky, but not unpossible..
I never noticed the power lines going up the rail0cut before. I just guessed by the direction that I remembered seeing the power line go to. I always wondered where that massive cross-harbour power line went...

I will be possible with the power lines but it will just be harder and more costly since they have to take extra precautions. One little mess up and Downtown could be without power. I know one little fautly wire is what knocked out power to all of Bedford last week.

Old Posted Jan 18, 2009, 6:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by miesh111 View Post
A bit of a tangent from the topic of the NSP building but somehwat related, I searched the NSUARB website for an hour looking for how someone gets on the board and more information on the people that are currently on it.

Perhaps this should be a seperate thread?

Does anybody know who these people are, what their backgrounds are, how you get appointed and what qualifications would be required. It seems the board is the "be all end all" of decisions our City Council can make, of decisions NSPower can make, and basically anything the provincial government doesn't want to get their hands dirty on. For a board with this much power, shouldn't we have a better idea as to who these people are, how they got where they got, and if possible, even be able to elect these people so they are accountable for the decisions they make?
"miesh111" if you want to learn more about the URB just have a look through the Halifax Magazine this month. They have a lengthy article on the URB, the process, the current cases, the members, how they are picked and how long they stay.

To me I just consider the URB similar to the Supreme Court. The members are secretive, get hand-picked by the government (in this case Michael Baker), they stay on for life usually and they are the final decision makers.

Old Posted Jan 18, 2009, 6:42 PM
we built this city

Quote:
Originally Posted by someone123 View Post
So who wants to forward this to Bev Miller or Howard Epstein?
I don't think they are qualified, lol.

Old Posted Jan 20, 2009, 7:11 PM

Interior demolition work began on the 16th and the building is scheduled to open in January 2011.

Old Posted Jan 27, 2009, 10:15 PM

Aecon signs were placed around the perimeter today, a few construction trailers are on site and a number of Black & MacDonald trucks were on site as well. Looks like things are definitely moving forward.

Old Posted Jan 28, 2009, 4:37 AM

Yah, I saw that too. Also some workers around the site, and some demo equipment in the parking lot.

Old Posted Mar 3, 2009, 2:54 AM

This may have been answered before, but does anyone remember what use to be in the lot across from the power plant that is now a parking lot? The way it is dug into the ground seems like it is the old basement of a building. I walked by with a friend tonight and we were trying to figure out what was there.

Old Posted Mar 3, 2009, 3:07 AM

If memory serves there were giant tanks of some kind on the lot across the street (my memory of photos, I'm too young to have been there!). Maybe for storing fuel for the power station? If you look at the back nearest the lone surviving building at Hollis and Morris, you can see ground is cut in a circle shape.

Old Posted Mar 3, 2009, 5:00 AM
we built this city

Old Posted Mar 3, 2009, 6:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by worldlyhaligonian View Post
One PurdysW tower!! Cool Pic...

Old Posted Mar 3, 2009, 9:57 PM

That's a pretty easy photo to date... Purdy's Wharf II isn't up yet, and that was completed in 1990, and the extension to the top of Maritime Centre was completed in 1988...
Anybody know approximately what date the stacks were removed from the top of the plant? I have some pictures from around 91-92 of the Via Rail station, and the stacks are still visible in the background.

Old Posted Mar 3, 2009, 10:52 PM

And look at all that parking that sat where Bishops Landing is now. I can't believe people opposed it at the time! No Waterford or most of the low-rise condos on that block either. Just lonely Waterfront Place. I knew Waterfront Place was older, but I didn't realize it predated the development of the rest of the block by several years.

Oh and it seems I was young enough to have seen the oil tanks on site, but they weren't something that left a lasting impression (I was between 7-9 in 1988-1990)

Old Posted Mar 4, 2009, 1:44 AM

Good postcard worldly, I love seeing the older ones and picking out whats missing, anyone remember that green building that looked like a jail off lower water street? I remember it being close to the boat playground and my sister always told me she was going to put me in it. Older sister of course.

I think the stacks came down mid nineties? I was 10-12 at the time, but I seem to recall one of the workers died taking them down, I believe he fell?

Old Posted Mar 4, 2009, 3:41 AM

Great find. I recall the biggest of them coming down in the late 90s, but I don't even remember those other two smaller ones being there!

That's the only pic I've ever seen of Summit Place underconstruction. Although I didn't know Summit Place was built before Purdys II ?!
And it seems Murphys was a different colour too. On that note, I was by the other day and its now going from green to red.

I kinda wish they had kept the smoke stacks. They could have been incorporated in a cool way into this redevelopment. Maybe an observation tower of sorts.

Old Posted Mar 4, 2009, 7:06 PM
we built this city

Cheers, I thought it was relevant to the discussion.

That part of the waterfront still has a long way to come, and The Alexander and Salter development will really change the area for the better.

Old Posted Mar 4, 2009, 7:14 PM

Wow, what a drastic change. We can only hope that we see as much change in the next 20 years.

Old Posted Mar 5, 2009, 2:36 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spitfire75 View Post
Wow, what a drastic change. We can only hope that we see as much change in the next 20 years.
I'm hoping we see a lot more than that...otherwise I'll be an old man by the time Halifax realises it's potential

Old Posted Mar 5, 2009, 8:50 PM

Looks like they've taken down some of the metal clading on the water street side to reveal what looks like red brick work underneath. I'll try and get a better look tomorrow and maybe a pic

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Atlantic Provinces > Halifax > Halifax Peninsula & Downtown Dartmouth