HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Discussion Forums > Buildings & Architecture > Completed Project Threads Archive

River Point in the SkyscraperPage Database

Building Data Page   • Comparison Diagram   • Chicago Skyscraper Diagram

Map Location
Chicago Projects & Construction Forum

Old Posted May 12, 2007, 6:02 PM
Vox Clamantis In Deserto

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eventually...Chicago View Post
Hines would not have introduced this project if leasing levels were not good at 300 North Lasalle. They wouldn't want two of their towers competing against each other.
Possibly true, but it depends on how much equity Hines has in each project. If it's not a material amount, think of the two buildings as movies with Hines as the director. It wouldn't be end of the world to a director if two of his movies were released at the same time. There could be a small degree of cannibalizing the same market (and being associated with a lesser performing project), but really that's for the investors to worry about. Sometimes a developer has their own money in a project, and sometimes investors just believe in a certain developer and think they can pull off a great project. I'm not sure what the situation is/will be for these buildings. Even if there was a competing building nearby, a developer certainly wouldn't talk the investor out of an idea to build. Basically, you make a good point, but your logic makes some assumptions that you should be aware of. Just because this is being proposed it doesn't necessarily follow that leasing is great at 300.

Also, the buildings would attract from different tenant pools so the market overlap is less than you'd think. 300 looking for smaller A tenants looking for views, and 200 is looking for a corporate HQ, a North American HQ of a foreign company, or the latest large long-term tenant to decide they need to modernize to compete. Plus, the cycles are worlds apart. Delivery in 2011 vs. 2008. Obama's economic reforms should have us cranking along in high gear by then. ; )

Old Posted May 12, 2007, 6:16 PM

It seems that chicago office towers for the most part never really break into that 700ft plus range too much. It also seems that office towers that were 50 stories back in the 70's and 80's are taller in feet than office towers now with the same floor count. I think chicago needs some more office towers with more peaks and points instead of all flat topped. Its an easier way to break into some height as well as adding different dimensions into the skyline.

Old Posted May 12, 2007, 6:51 PM
Urban Explorer

Wow, another great looking building for Chicago! Pickard Chilton really does some nice work - see 3 of their recent projects here in Atlanta for more examples (1180 Peachtree, 50 Allen Plaza, and the Pinnacle). They seem to have a very good relationship with Hines, who they are (I believe) working with on 300 N.L.D. Though many people wish it was taller, it definitely is a huge improvement over what is currently there, and will be a good addition to a very prominent location.

Old Posted May 12, 2007, 7:20 PM
Eamus Catuli!!!

I really wish 200 N. Riverside were taller. It should at least be as tall as it's older brother the Torre Mayor which is Mexico's tallest at 755 feet. By the way, I'm surprised no one yet has noticed the resemblance, which is pretty much a knock-off of it. Not that I care if it is or not. If it is, then we need more knockoff's like these.

Make no little plans; they have no magic to stir men's blood and probably will themselves not be realized. Make big plans; aim high in hope and work, remembering that a noble, logical diagram once recorded will not die. - Daniel Burnham

Old Posted May 12, 2007, 7:52 PM

^ Thanks for showing that. I'm less concerned about the height and much more concerned about the duplication of that Mexico building- it's practically identical in form except for height. This underwhelms me now, and I hope they can do something to make this building more unique (add height, make a little tweak to the bottom).

Old Posted May 12, 2007, 7:58 PM
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by GregBear24 View Post
^ Thanks for showing that. I'm less concerned about the height and much more concerned about the duplication of that Mexico building- it's practically identical in form except for height. This underwhelms me now, and I hope they can do something to make this building more unique (add height, make a little tweak to the bottom).
I dunno I think you're forgeting some key differences, you know, like the big HOLE at the top... Or how about the lack of cement on this one? Seems like its not a duplication to me... Besides I have a feeling the base on this one is going to end up a ton different than that one in Mexico.

They are similar buildings, but saying duplicate is like saying the CS is a duplication of the turning torso, its not very accurate... Even their color is different.

Old Posted May 12, 2007, 8:23 PM

^ahhh that's why it looked so familiar!!

Old Posted May 12, 2007, 9:46 PM
Chicagotom SSC

Got to agree with nowhereman 1280 here. I’m more concerned with how it looks with 333 Wacker than the Mexico building. This is a one of the most important sites left on the River. I hope this gets a thorough community review. The open arching base actually reminds me of CS

Old Posted May 12, 2007, 10:48 PM
Registered

^ Nah, as one of the "most important sites left on the river," we should have a great piece of architecture that doesn't look like something else. I wasn't familiar with the Torre Mejor, but now that Latoso has posted it, I am starting to dislike this proposal.

It's one thing to produce Miesian boxes, because that was a part of the ideology and aesthetic. But to virtually copy the design of a building that was intended to be an individual, iconic symbol...

Old Posted May 12, 2007, 10:49 PM

200 Inspiration?

Here are a couple of items that have the same design as the riverfront building everyone is discussing.
#1) Mcdonalds hot apple pie box (Mentioned previously)

#2) The Round-Skew Chisel

If this was taller and thinner, it would look even more like a round-skew chisel. In that case would be a good headquarters for Stanley Tools or something.

Old Posted May 12, 2007, 11:12 PM
THAT Guy

Before saying this is a duplicate, remember that the two buildings are still quite different.

This is Torre Mayor as well

As is this with the strong horizontal lines

Old Posted May 13, 2007, 1:59 AM

200 N. Riverside is AWESOME!!! A home run on almost every level! Sure it would be nice if it was taller but I would rather have great architecture and a site plan (which this has) than bland height. So, far I have been a little disappointed by the Architectonica proposal for LSE. I was hoping for something more along these lines. This tower is wonderful, the perfect design for this site and will probably be my second favorite design of this boom (definitely in the top 5 so far)!

Old Posted May 13, 2007, 2:04 AM

200 N. RIVERSIDE SHOULD HAVE ITS OWN THREAD!

The height will most likely be below 700ft however, the outstanding architecture, prominent location and relatively well know architect demand that this one get the full exposure that a dedicated thread would yield.

Old Posted May 13, 2007, 2:26 AM
BANNED

^^^ Yeah I agree, if someone doesn't go ahead and make a thread for this one soon, I'm going to do it myself, it deserves its own thread...

This thing is probably almost 700 ft anyhow...

Old Posted May 13, 2007, 2:28 AM
Eamus Catuli!!!

Cool CHICAGO: 200 N. Riverside Plaza - 650'?/50 floors

http://www.pickardchilton.com/pagProject.aspx?Group='COMMERCIAL'&ID=43&Photo=1

200 North Riverside Plaza
Chicago, Illinois
1,100,000 gsf
Client: Hines
Architect of Record: Kendall / Heaton Associates

200 North Riverside Plaza is a fifty story, 1.2 million gross square foot project comprising office, retail, restaurants, a boat house and public spaces; a 1.5 acre public plaza; and three levels of below-grade parking. Located on a triangular site bordered by West Lake Street, Canal Street and the broad confluence of the branching North and South Chicago Rivers, 200 North Riverside enhances the character of this prominent river frontage while concealing the existing railroad tracks below. It is Pickard Chilton’s second major project in Chicago for Hines.
The tower’s unique sculptural form creates a striking silhouette from multiple vantage points throughout the city and responds to the wonderful qualities of its important waterfront site. The tower’s sweeping curves capture natural light within the building as well as provide panoramic views outward. A sky terrace perched six hundred feet above the river accentuates the distinct image of the tower’s crown and offers dramatic views of the river, the Loop and Lake Michigan on the horizon.
The riverfront plaza, a welcome public amenity for the West Loop neighborhood, is designed to reshape the urban fabric by creating a lively civic space that encourages pedestrian activity along the waterfront. The open public plaza cascades down to the river walk and the water’s edge through a series of landscaped terraces, water features, seating areas, and arcing pathways. The space enjoys abundant sunlight throughout the day and provides a pleasant respite along on the course of the river.
The public boat house, operated by the Park District of the City of Chicago, accommodates kayaks, canoes, and crew boats. The boat house also provides boat storage, locker rooms, a multipurpose gathering space, staff offices and an elevated, covered observation terrace. The building’s streamlined, sweeping roof design draws its inspiration from the highly refined form of competition oar blades.
As a Class-A office building, 200 North Riverside’s state-of-the-art design will serve as the headquarters for major international corporations. The grand and welcoming lobby features a sixty five foot high expanse of glass that acts as a proscenium arch framing views of the plaza, the river and cityscape beyond. Located above the lobby is a 50,000 square foot double-height conference center with a crescent-shaped exterior terrace that overlooks the river. The tower’s floor plates are configured to accommodate flexibility and efficiency in interior planning. The building’s richly articulated glass and silver metallic curtain wall, a key component in achieving a LEED Silver pre-certification from the U.S. Green Building Council, will minimize solar heat gain, maximize interior day lighting and enable expansive views.

Make no little plans; they have no magic to stir men's blood and probably will themselves not be realized. Make big plans; aim high in hope and work, remembering that a noble, logical diagram once recorded will not die. - Daniel Burnham

Old Posted May 13, 2007, 2:30 AM
Eamus Catuli!!!

Here's the thread. Steely, forgive me for I have sinned, It has been one month since my last thread.

http://forum.skyscraperpage.com/show...88#post2831588

Old Posted May 13, 2007, 2:38 AM

Now that's what I'm talkin about! Super sleek design with a graet site plan and graceful unique top! I'm glad the see Chicago stepping outside of the box more and more. Thanks for starting this thread LATOSO

Old Posted May 13, 2007, 2:39 AM
BANNED

Thank you for creating this, I was almost at the point where I was going to do it myself.

Hopefully Steely will bring all of the discussion on this from the rundown over here soon...

I love this building!

Old Posted May 13, 2007, 3:02 AM

This is a great, and significant project, but I feel that it might be too early to have its own thread; there wont be frequent news on the progress of this, we're still many months if not a year away from site prep, even...and to my knowledge, the developer hasnt started marketing for it or applied for the various Planning approvals.

Old Posted May 13, 2007, 3:09 AM
I'm going slightly mad.

Just beautiful! I love the design and they've really made the most out of that smallish odd shaped lot. What an addition to the river canyon this will be. This is a very nice compliment to the building on wacker across the river.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Discussion Forums > Buildings & Architecture > Completed Project Threads Archive