HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Mountain West

Old Posted Feb 23, 2020, 4:16 PM

Southern Metro Update - UVU begins fundraising for $88 million engineering building

By Braley Dodson for the Daily Herald - https://www.heraldextra.com/news/loc...223c5ffcd.html

Booming new engineering programs are causing a priority shakeup at Utah Valley University.

The university’s need for an engineering building has eclipsed other upcoming projects, leading to UVU kickstarting the fundraising process for an upcoming $88 million facility.

“When you look at most of these companies that are coming, they are engineering intensive,” said Val Peterson, vice president of finance and administration at UVU.

The UVU Board of Trustees approved the addition of three new engineering degrees about two years ago. Programs for Bachelor of Science degrees in mechanical engineering, electrical engineering and civil engineering began in fall 2018.

Peterson said there’s about 800 students enrolling in the programs, with the expectation that it will grow to 2,000 students. UVU anticipates seeing engineering students who transferred from other institutions graduate from the Orem university this academic year.

Those graduates will enter into a waiting job market. There are 880 annual openings statewide for engineers and engineering technician occupations, according to UVU’s state-funded capital facilities request for the building.

Students in the UVU College of Engineering and Technology are currently educated in the Computer Science Building, which was completed in 2001 when the university had about 20,000 students enrolled. The UVU College of Engineering and Technology had 4,874 students, as of fall 2018.

UVU as a whole has about 40,000 students and is projected to have more than 55,000 students by 2028.

The engineering building would be constructed on a grassy area east of the Computer Science Building. When complete, it will be 162,500 square feet and include 31 labs, 12 classrooms, 21 study areas and 91 offices, among other spaces.

UVU has obtained approval to begin the design process for the building but it will not be funded by the Utah state legislature during its next session. The building ranked fourth on the list of facility priorities forwarded to the state from the Utah State Board of Regents, which recommends three projects every year for the legislature to consider funding.

In the meantime, the university will begin fundraising for the building. UVU typically has to privately raise funds for a portion of a building project before it obtains state funding. Its business building, which began construction in the fall, received $50 million from the state after UVU privately raised about $20 million.

“I am confident we will be successful for what we need to raise,” said Scott Cooksey, the vice president of institutional advancement at UVU.

Donated funds haven’t been committed to the program yet. Fundraising is expected to take a year or two.

“There’s a lot of interest in it, not because it is a building, but because of what the building is going to do,” Cooksey said.

Peterson said companies are approaching UVU looking for engineers to hire. But with an ever-growing university, there isn’t enough space to educate students.

The building proposal, Peterson said, is an example of how UVU is responding to local industry needs.

The university planned to construct a new building for its education program following the new business facility. Peterson said plans for the education building have been shifted to make room for the proposed engineering project and a health professions building. UVU now plans to construct an education building following those two projects.

“The demand for health care services is increasing, so in order to meet that need we see a health professions building is going to be a key demand item in that scenario,” Peterson said.

Last edited by delts145; Feb 13, 2021 at 1:32 PM.

Old Posted Feb 25, 2020, 2:29 PM

The Flats At Riverwoods - PEG Development

The Flats at Riverwoods stand directly across the street from The Shops at Riverwoods, one of Provo, Utah’s most popular retail destinations. Also located near the mouth of Provo Canyon and geared toward tenants with active lifestyles, the community will feature a large courtyard outside each building, perfect for outdoor entertaining. Additional amenities will include a dog wash, a bike wash, a fitness center and adjoining children’s playroom, a yoga studio, a large pool/hot tub, a media center/theatre, a club house, and more.

Location: Provo, UT - Year: 2020 - Size: 304,408 SF - Units: 218

Last edited by delts145; Feb 11, 2021 at 12:11 PM.

Old Posted Feb 25, 2020, 2:50 PM

Downtown Provo - 250 I Street - PEG Development

Situated in Provo City’s flourishing downtown, 250 I Street will offer 28 modern housing opportunities to those looking to live in Gallup’s ‘#1 Best Place to Live.’ Just minutes away from various tech headquarters, this development is bringing Modern uptown living with all the space and storage that Utah activities require.

Last edited by delts145; Feb 12, 2021 at 12:17 AM.

Old Posted Feb 25, 2020, 8:43 PM

Where's I street? Does Provo even have an I street? Is this a typo and it is actually 1st south?

Old Posted Apr 28, 2020, 8:40 PM

LHS rebuild: demolitions to begin this summer

Braley Dodson - Lehi Free Press - https://www.lehifreepress.com/2020/0...n-this-summer/

Projected construction cost nearly $15 million over initial budget

The final phases of Lehi High School’s rebuild are on schedule to be completed by fall 2021.

“We love that we have been able to rebuild and enhance the educational opportunities that this allows,” said Kimberly Bird, spokeswoman for the Alpine School District. “We feel like this provides an even playing field for their peer high schools that surround them in Alpine School District.”

The second half of the rebuild has been funded as part of the district’s 2016, $387 million bond. Construction on the school’s final phases began in 2018. The final phases were originally budgeted for about $50 million. The rebuild is projected to cost $64.62 million, according to Bird, which the district attributes to the rising cost of construction and materials, along with adding to the scope of the project. Those additions have included creating a third floor of classrooms and expanding the school’s career and technical education building to accommodate growth in the student body.

Building on the current school’s site and doing construction while students were in school made the project more costly than building a fresh facility on a new site.

“When you have kids on campus, that presents a little bit of a time delay and an efficiency delay,” Bird said. “It is also more costly.”

Bird said the school is considered a jewel in Lehi, and that moving the location of a high school can be a painful process for its community.

The final phase of demolition will take place this summer and will include knocking down the old gymnasiums, the auditorium, the commons, the cafeteria, and the performing arts wing.

Construction on a second auxiliary gym, a dance room, a weight room, new stadium bleachers, a track and a media center will begin this summer.

The phased construction involves building a section of the new school and then demolishing another on the small site. Satellite classrooms have helped accommodate students throughout the rebuild. Bird said safety has remained the top priority.

The district has plans to rebuild Lehi, Pleasant Grove and American Fork high schools, which all opened in 1959 and are the oldest high schools in ASD. Lehi High School will be the first of the three to be completed. Bird said it was chosen as the first to be finished because the opening of Skyridge High School shrank Lehi High School’s student body.

The nation’s COVID-19 pandemic, which led to the announcement that students would be learning online for the remainder of the school year, has not sped up the construction process. Bird said crews are working their normal hours and contracts have stayed the same. However, construction on the school’s parking lot has begun sooner than originally anticipated.

SHARE Facebook Twitter

Old Posted May 17, 2020, 12:27 PM

UVU finalizes purchase of Thanksgiving Point property

By Darnell Dixon, Daily Herald - May 14, 2020https://www.heraldextra.com/news/com...0e60d72fc.html

Another piece has fit into the puzzle that is the Utah Valley University master plan for expansion. This week, the school announced the acquisition of a 103,000-square-foot building at Thanksgiving Point in Lehi, a process that took two years... Lehi and north Utah County are, without question, great hubs of ideas, innovation and growth,” said Astrid S. Tuminez, president of UVU. “Early in my tenure, I was very excited to learn about Silicon Slopes and the potential synergies between industry and academia. The long-awaited UVU campus at Thanksgiving Point is a physical location that will facilitate these powerful synergies. As we forge closer partnerships with industry, I am confident that students, families, employers and Utah’s economy will be the clear beneficiaries.”

In the fall of 2018, Utah Valley welcomed 39,931 students to its Orem campus. Val Peterson, vice president of Finance and Administration, said the estimated number of students for fall 2020 is 41,211. With the growth expected to continue, the school implemented a master plan for expansion which was headed by former president Matthew Holland in 2016.

UVU Courtesy Photo

The master plan idea is to interconnect with mass transit and recreate walkable communities for the students,” Peterson said. “One of the hallmarks of UVU is responding to the educational needs of the community. As we do that, we’re increasing the total of programs available. We’re currently offering 94 bachelor’s degrees and eight masters degrees.”

Currently, UVU has campuses in Orem, Lehi (Thanksgiving Point), Heber (Wasatch Campus), Provo Airport, Vineyard, Capitol Reef Field Station and owns land in Payson. There is a full campus planned where the Geneva Steel Mill used to be.

The Vineyard area already contains the Wolverine Training Dome and in the future more sports facilities will be located in the southern property. There are 125 acres to the north, where the school hopes to build an innovation campus with an emphasis on entrepreneurship and future tech.

The expansion of the FrontRunner system in Utah County is an important piece to the master plan. The newly purchased building is across the street from the FrontRunner station in Lehi.

“We’re trying to be responsive to the growth in IT and the Silicon Slopes idea for those businesses,” Peterson said. “We want the students to have the skills to move forward and provide the educational programs they need in that area. That’s what the north county building is about.”

Peterson said the message he delivered to the faculty this week is that the school plans to have its students on campus in the fall.

“With what is happening with COVID-19, there has been a lot of discussion with online vs. face-to-face classes,” he said. “We have a large portion of students that really want to attend face-to-face classes. We have to balance our online offerings with face-to-face, and we need the facilities to be able to provide those opportunities.”

Last edited by delts145; May 17, 2020 at 12:39 PM.

Old Posted May 23, 2020, 12:12 PM

I don't remember anyone having covered this particular new office building at Innovation Pointe. Dang, I wish some of these cooler looking buildings were being constructed in Downtown Salt Lake's periphery. Add ten stories, subterranean parking, and make it mixed-use.

Lehi - Innovation Pointe - https://www.commercialcafe.com/comme...te-building-1/

Lehi - Thanksgiving Pointe Station 4 - https://www.commercialcafe.com/comme...ing-station-4/

North Slope - Lehi - Hmm, this is a new one we have never posted. Looks like they're going for the Traverse Ridge/Cabala's aesthetic.

I'm sure this is just old hat for you guys, but I'm just amazed at the amount of new residential and commercial infill in Utah Valley.
It was only a few short years ago that this section of State Street was just nothing but farm fields and an occasional house.

Pleasant Grove - Urban Grove - https://www.commercialcafe.com/comme...e/urban-grove/

Meh... This one can stay relatively hidden in the burbs

Orem - University Parkway - Central Utah Water Conservancy Office - https://www.commercialcafe.com/comme...rvancy-office/

Just looking at the pic it took me a second to figure out where this one is at exactly. The first giveaway, I could see a tiny portion of the new additions to the University Mall in the upper left hand corner.
The University Parkway has experienced a lot of changes over the past ten years.

It seems like there has been a lot of residential infill behind the commercial corridor.

Not surprising, it looks like a ton of housing has gone up along the I-15 corridor between American Fork and Pleasant Grove. I imagine all of those Alfalfa fields along I-15 will soon be filled in with development.

https://www.commercialcafe.com/image...208/927752.jpg

Wow, looks like the housing in Springville has been exploding also. I bet I know what Orlando is thinking. Maybe the COVID will give the Wasatch a little breather, and the supposed future trillion's dollar infrastructure package will give it time to catch up on the transportation essentials. Hopefully also, the continued population explosion in Utah Valley will push some decent downtown/core density growth in places like Provo, Orem and Lehi. Nothing would make me happier than to see all the many towns in Utah Valley focus more on their Main Street Villages. So much potential in places like Payson, American Fork, Pleasant Grove, Lehi, etc.

I've always loved this North Provo area, especially along the Canyon Highway and River bottoms. Looks like it's pretty much built out at this point. I imagine there's not too many vacant plots available anymore. Is it just me or have they buried a lot of the old power lines that use to border Canyon Rd. The photos seem to suggest that they have. Old power lines and poles are among my pet urban peeves.

I like all of the plantings and landscaping. Really adds to a scenic drive as you approach Provo Canyon. Provo has an incredibly beautiful setting

Last edited by delts145; Feb 13, 2021 at 2:03 PM.

Old Posted May 27, 2020, 11:03 AM

Bouyed by Utah handling of Virus, Developers and major Companies making expansions plans for the Wasatch Front

Undaunted by COVID-19, developer plans new business parks in Taylorsville, Springville

Tony Semerad - Salt Lake Tribune - https://www.sltrib.com/news/2020/05/...nted-by-covid/

Real estate developer St. John Properties said Thursday it will build new upscale business parks in Taylorsville and Springville and expand another site in Pleasant Grove. The plans, made public as Utah continues to ease health restrictions related to COVID-19, could mean as much as a $120 million investment in the state’s economy and create new spaces for up to 2,750 workers, the Baltimore-based company said. Utah Gov. Gary Herbert, who participated in an online news conference Thursday, called the St. John’s move a sign that investors were reassured by Utah’s approach to the pandemic and to business regulation...
...Herbert said that in the last week, seven companies had agreed to expand their operations in Utah in the midst of the pandemic, with the prospect of creating as many as 3,665 jobs in the coming years. Among them are three companies enticed to grow their operations by the promise of future state tax refunds. Daniel Thomas, regional partner for St. John Properties in Utah, said in spite of challenges from the pandemic, the firm sees “a tremendously bright future in Utah.”
The company’s announcement Thursday included a Forbes Magazine reference to a recent study by business analysts at Moody’s Analytics, which found the wider metropolitan areas around Salt Lake City and Provo among the best-positioned in the U.S. to recover from the health crisis...

...The St. John Properties project in Taylorsville, to be located near the intersection of I-215 and 2700 West, will cost $80 million, be called Beltway West and will spread five buildings — one of them at six stories — over a 19.5-acre site, for a total of 300,000 square feet of new offices, company officials said. Spring Pointe Exchange, at about 2250 W. 500 North in Springville directly off I-15, is to span 18 acres, will be a $40 million project with six buildings planned with a total 225,000 square feet. The company noted that its existing Utah location, Valley Grove at 1982 W. Pleasant Grove Boulevard in Pleasant Grove, had grown four-fold to 85 acres since it opened in 2017. With buildings in eight U.S. states, St. John Properties is billed as one of country’s top developers of commercial structures that meet strict construction and environmental standards for reducing energy and water consumption and greenhouse emissions, know as LEED-certification...

(Image courtesy of St. John Properties) Rendering of Beltway West, a new 20-acre business park that officials announced Thursday
will be built in Taylorsville by Baltimore-developer St. John Properties, with another park also planned in Springville.

Last edited by delts145; Feb 13, 2021 at 2:28 PM.

Old Posted May 27, 2020, 4:45 PM
Eschew Obfuscation

Quote:
Originally Posted by delts145 View Post
Bouyed by Utah handling of Virus, Developers and major Companies making expansions plans for the Wasatch Front

Undaunted by COVID-19, developer plans new business parks in Taylorsville, Springville

Tony Semerad - Salt Lake Tribune - https://www.sltrib.com/news/2020/05/...nted-by-covid/

Real estate developer St. John Properties said Thursday it will build new upscale business parks in Taylorsville and Springville and expand another site in Pleasant Grove. The plans, made public as Utah continues to ease health restrictions related to COVID-19, could mean as much as a $120 million investment in the state’s economy and create new spaces for up to 2,750 workers, the Baltimore-based company said. Utah Gov. Gary Herbert, who participated in an online news conference Thursday, called the St. John’s move a sign that investors were reassured by Utah’s approach to the pandemic and to business regulation...
...Herbert said that in the last week, seven companies had agreed to expand their operations in Utah in the midst of the pandemic, with the prospect of creating as many as 3,665 jobs in the coming years. Among them are three companies enticed to grow their operations by the promise of future state tax refunds. Daniel Thomas, regional partner for St. John Properties in Utah, said in spite of challenges from the pandemic, the firm sees “a tremendously bright future in Utah.”
The company’s announcement Thursday included a Forbes Magazine reference to a recent study by business analysts at Moody’s Analytics, which found the wider metropolitan areas around Salt Lake City and Provo among the best-positioned in the U.S. to recover from the health crisis...

...The St. John Properties project in Taylorsville, to be located near the intersection of I-215 and 2700 West, will cost $80 million, be called Beltway West and will spread five buildings — one of them at six stories — over a 19.5-acre site, for a total of 300,000 square feet of new offices, company officials said. Spring Pointe Exchange, at about 2250 W. 500 North in Springville directly off I-15, is to span 18 acres, will be a $40 million project with six buildings planned with a total 225,000 square feet. The company noted that its existing Utah location, Valley Grove at 1982 W. Pleasant Grove Boulevard in Pleasant Grove, had grown four-fold to 85 acres since it opened in 2017. With buildings in eight U.S. states, St. John Properties is billed as one of country’s top developers of commercial structures that meet strict construction and environmental standards for reducing energy and water consumption and greenhouse emissions, know as LEED-certification...

(Image courtesy of St. John Properties) Rendering of Beltway West, a new 20-acre business park that officials announced Thursday
will be built in Taylorsville by Baltimore-developer St. John Properties, with another park also planned in Springville.

To be honest, I'm surprised that some of these investment companies are moving forward with building even more office space. It's seems like a lot of companies have seen the benefits of having at least some of their employees work from home. A lot less overhead when you're only using two floors of an office building instead of four.

I hope we don't see countless empty office buildings across the Wasatch front in the coming years.

Old Posted May 27, 2020, 10:12 PM

Hooray, more boring, short-sighted auto-oriented office parks dotting the Wasatch Front. Just what we need.

Old Posted Jun 3, 2020, 3:50 PM

dōTERRA embraces Utah Valley University with the second-largest donation in school’s history

https://www.uvu.edu/news/2019/09/09272019_doterra.html

https://www.uvu.edu/news/2019/09/ima...9_doterra1.jpg

Last edited by delts145; Feb 13, 2021 at 2:30 PM.

Old Posted Aug 9, 2020, 5:03 PM

Noorda College of Osteopathic Medicine

Last edited by Orlando; Aug 16, 2020 at 1:31 AM.

Old Posted Aug 10, 2020, 1:53 AM

It’s been awhile since I posted. Been busy with life. Looking at starting to post more in the provo MSA thread. Hope you’ll have me back Utah County is BOOMING.

Old Posted Aug 10, 2020, 5:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by poodledoodledude View Post
It’s been awhile since I posted. Been busy with life. Looking at starting to post more in the provo MSA thread. Hope you’ll have me back Utah County is BOOMING.
Welcome back! We would love to have you share your vast knowledge of local projects with us again!

Old Posted Aug 10, 2020, 11:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DCRes View Post
Welcome back! We would love to have you share your vast knowledge of local projects with us again!
Ditto to that! The Herald really doesn't give as much coverage on Utah Valley development like they use to. Would be great to have you pick up the slack again Poodledoodledude.

Old Posted Aug 11, 2020, 12:43 AM

Welcome back Poodledoodledude.

Old Posted Aug 25, 2020, 5:07 AM

Orem Station Photo Update

Hey everyone, it's me Danske I'm back in town. Utah Valley is booming here is a little update on The Orem station area. More updates are on the way for downtown Provo . UVU, Lehi, AF and PG.

Orem Station- UVU Bridge is moving along fast.

The Hub is turning out to be massive.#commieblock

Last edited by Mountain Skyline; Aug 25, 2020 at 6:28 PM.

Old Posted Aug 25, 2020, 5:09 AM

woah sorry about the massive photos. I'm using imgur, anyone know how to edit the sizing?

Old Posted Aug 25, 2020, 1:40 PM
Space Magi

Using imgur, you can append a letter onto the link before the filetype to get a different resized version of your image. "s" is for small, "m" is for medium, "l" is for large, and "h" is for huge. I think the huge resize is usually good for this forum, but you can play around with it.

Example: https://i.imgur.com/YVnm8bU.jpg ---> https://i.imgur.com/YVnm8bUh.jpg will give you the "huge" resized version of the image.

Old Posted Aug 25, 2020, 3:29 PM

Thanks Atlas for that tip. I tried the "huge" resize, and it worked great. I had been wondering the same thing about Imgur for a while now.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Mountain West