HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Global Projects & Construction > Proposals

Old Posted Dec 1, 2020, 12:10 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pianowizard View Post
350 Park Avenue will do that, so Tower Fifth doesn't have to.
Not high enough to really stand out and only can be seen from the east and west. But it's start!

Old Posted Dec 1, 2020, 2:40 PM

I don't like the diagonal braces holding the glass deck, hope they're not in the final design.

Four corner spires would suit this building perfectly. Revenge for 3 World Trade. Just run the corner columns up another 150 feet or so and eclipse 1700'. Too bad it won't happen.

Old Posted Dec 1, 2020, 5:10 PM

Did Vanilla Sky have it right? All those years ago back in 2001? Almost. I think this looks at least or close to 2000ft tall.

Old Posted Dec 1, 2020, 5:45 PM
Registered (Nimby Ab)User

Location: At a computer, wasting my life on a skyscraper website
Quote:
Originally Posted by SkyHigher View Post
Did Vanilla Sky have it right? All those years ago back in 2001? Almost. I think this looks at least or close to 2000ft tall.

If you concentrate on the ESB, this tower looks to be nearly 3000 feet. However, the tops of the WTC towers are right at the horizon, so the perspective in this shot is screwed up

I heard the UN is moving its HQ there. The eiffel tower is moving there soon as well. Elon Musk even decided he didnt want to go to mars anymore after visiting.

Old Posted Dec 1, 2020, 6:02 PM
Show me the blueprints

If you can ignore all those weird scenes with kurt russell its actually a much better movie.

There is no goodness in him, and his power to convince people otherwise is beyond understanding

Old Posted Dec 1, 2020, 6:25 PM

Tower fifth is still a +1556ft tower height
Roosevelt hotel is working for a +1650ft tower cause its a +100floors
We are waiting for peen station tower i guess something +2200ft will soar from this site .

Old Posted Dec 1, 2020, 7:56 PM
cle/west village/shaolin

Quote:
Originally Posted by Busy Bee View Post
If you can ignore all those weird scenes with kurt russell its actually a much better movie.

yeah and i liked vanilla sky, but btw its a remake and i liked the original better. check it out its called abre los ojos.

you get the torre picasso in madrid in that.

https://www.imdb.com/title/tt0125659/?ref_=nv_sr_srsg_0

imdb trivia:
Tom Cruise said that he was on his cell phone trying to buy the remake rights during the end credits the first time he saw the film.

Old Posted Dec 1, 2020, 8:22 PM
NYC/NJ/Miami-Dade

Quote:
Originally Posted by jbermingham123 View Post
If you concentrate on the ESB, this tower looks to be nearly 3000 feet. However, the tops of the WTC towers are right at the horizon, so the perspective in this shot is screwed up
Apparently the Statue of Liberty can also be found on the waterfront of Hoboken.

Old Posted Dec 1, 2020, 9:20 PM
Registered (Nimby Ab)User

Location: At a computer, wasting my life on a skyscraper website
Quote:
Originally Posted by chris08876 View Post
Apparently the Statue of Liberty can also be found on the waterfront of Hoboken.
HA HA HA HA i didnt see that!! its also about 10x scaled up

I heard the UN is moving its HQ there. The eiffel tower is moving there soon as well. Elon Musk even decided he didnt want to go to mars anymore after visiting.

Old Posted Dec 1, 2020, 9:32 PM
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by InTheLoopFromNYC View Post
Details, details! Editorial license? Good catch!
If this tower incorporated a few more jutting/Jenga pieces at various points in the facade, it would be really cool. However, just having the Jenga bits at the top looks lame.

I still doubt that this will be built.

Old Posted Dec 1, 2020, 11:06 PM
New Yorker for life

^ I see no reason to doubt this will be built over many others. Harry Macklowe is a professional developer. The man put up a nearly 1,400 ft skyscraper, and people still doubt him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by JMKeynes View Post
I think that he is Macklowe Properties. He and his son had a falling out, and the latter started his own firm. I could see him leaving everything to his new wife who, in turn, would sell the properties.
Not likely. This is Harry's legacy project, and I'm sure it would live on after he's gone. The rich have egos afterall.

Quote:
https://www.mackloweproperties.com/c...-overview.html

The ultimate objective and mission of Macklowe Properties has always been the creation of secure and highly profitable real estate investments that will sustain and grow through all business cycles.

Macklowe Properties believes these real estate investments belong to owners and developers that create buildings that are architecturally, environmentally, mechanically and economically superior.

Founded in the mid-1960’s by Harry Macklowe, the company has been an active and profitable developer, owner, and manager of a diverse array of real estate investments. The company has successfully achieved a full level of vertical integration, combining design, planning, construction, management, accounting, and executive-level ownership and operation to provide for absolute responsibility and control over its assets. In aggregate, these developments have totaled over 13 million square feet and have taken place in nearly every commercial and residential submarket of Manhattan.

Quote:
Originally Posted by InTheLoopFromNYC View Post
Details, details! Editorial license? Good catch!
As mentioned before, they just used the Empire State deck as a reference point, probably just for promotional materials. Further renderings would likely put the tower in it's accurate location.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Visionist View Post
I don't like the diagonal braces holding the glass deck, hope they're not in the final design.

I thought about that. There was a time when 30 Hudson had a similar looking brace below the Edge. But I would feel safer on that thing with the visible support.
But who knows, in the time since these renderings were likely produced, the design could have been altered in places.

_

“Office buildings are our factories – whether for tech, creative or traditional industries we must continue to grow our modern factories to create new jobs,” said United States Senator Chuck Schumer.

Old Posted Dec 2, 2020, 12:55 AM

Harry and Larry can both go and take a jump.

Where is the so called new 2WTC design? I take it we will have it before the 20th anniversary?

Old Posted Dec 2, 2020, 4:40 AM
New Yorker for life

Quote:
Originally Posted by SkyHigher View Post
Harry and Larry can both go and take a jump.

Where is the so called new 2WTC design? I take it we will have it before the 20th anniversary?

Maybe. You never know what Larry has up his sleeve. But both have proven they can build.

Harry would like to remind you all that he built what was at the time the second tallest (tallest by roof height) tower in New York City.
Love it or hate it, it's there.

https://www.google.com/url?sa=i&url=...AAAAAdAAAAABAL

https://www.flickr.com/photos/onesevenone/38911118164/

https://www.flickr.com/photos/brenda...r/31378627831/

“Office buildings are our factories – whether for tech, creative or traditional industries we must continue to grow our modern factories to create new jobs,” said United States Senator Chuck Schumer.

Old Posted Dec 2, 2020, 7:44 AM

I've only just realised how close this is to 666 Fifth (I'll never call it 660).

Damn, that would have looked so cool to see this reaching above Hadid's tower.

Edit: I've had an idea for making the diagonal braces look cool and giving the building a spire... four spires. Instead of having the braces sprout from the bottom of the crown, have them stick straight up from the top of the crown, continuing the four main columns visible on that side, then from the top of the spire columns have the diagonal braces reach all the way down to the glass deck.

Last edited by Visionist; Dec 2, 2020 at 11:15 AM.

Old Posted Dec 2, 2020, 1:48 PM
Sydney

The thing that bugs me most is the lack of a visual rhythm to the crown, the cantilevers and break floors seem shoehorned in without an overall progression. Even something as simple as moving just the upper break floor by two storeys would greatly improve the visual flow, at least in my eyes, with the blocks getting taller as they draw your eyes upwards. The current design just looks careless on the outside to me, but I suppose it was designed entirely around the observation deck amenities with the exterior an afterthought.

Last edited by Xing Lin; Dec 2, 2020 at 2:11 PM.

Old Posted Dec 2, 2020, 3:49 PM
cle/west village/shaolin

Quote:
Originally Posted by NYguy View Post

I thought about that. There was a time when 30 Hudson had a similar looking brace below the Edge. But I would feel safer on that thing with the visible support.
But who knows, in the time since these renderings were likely produced, the design could have been altered in places.

_

so the edge viewing deck was once a slide right off the tower?

interesting amenity i would not have thought off that!

Old Posted Dec 3, 2020, 4:12 AM
New Yorker for life

^ Don't give anybody any ideas.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Visionist View Post
I've only just realised how close this is to 666 Fifth (I'll never call it 660).

Damn, that would have looked so cool to see this reaching above Hadid's tower.

I think that would have been a cool building. Certainly more than what's actually happening on that site.

Old Posted Dec 4, 2020, 5:08 PM
Ω

I want it to have a sloped roof like Citicorp Tower

Old Posted Dec 5, 2020, 12:58 AM
New Yorker for life

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zerton View Post
I want it to have a sloped roof like Citicorp Tower
I wouldn't rule out Macklowe trying something (anything) to top the planned tower at the Grand Hyatt site. But he has his hands full, and will have to undergo his own approval. I can only imagine what people will say.

Old Posted Dec 5, 2020, 11:23 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NYguy View Post
I can only imagine what people will say.
"tAll bUiLDInG bAD!!1!" probably.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Global Projects & Construction > Proposals