HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Urban Art > Google Sketchup

Old Posted Jun 9, 2015, 9:22 PM

Your city is very thought out!
The buildings look great!
And I like your maps!

Old Posted Jun 10, 2015, 2:55 AM

i made two buildings yesterday, they just need to be placed in the city.

Old Posted Jun 11, 2015, 7:26 PM

Great work man, I especially like the skyline!

Old Posted Jun 13, 2015, 6:57 PM

The night scenes look cool and the side step to future Minneapolis is very interesting, but I suggest you make one city at a time, to get things finished and avoid empty areas between finished areas.

It would be very interesting to see Rocane included in this

Your plans for the city sound and look interesting - and very ambitious . It's a good idea to have a co-operative city, but I'm afraid I won't have time to participate. I will follow this thread very keenly

Old Posted Nov 4, 2015, 11:32 AM

I know there has not been an update in a long time, but my internal hard drive failed, then my motherboard died shortly after. Fortunately i have all of my sketchup models and resources on an external hard drive, and a faster computer.

Lakeport 5.0 will continue from its first building boom in the 1940s, But this time i will try to use photo-realistic textures, with simple geometry, which means i need to restart the city, again.

Lakeport will be located in the northeastern region of Minnesota,The terrain will be mostly flat, but there will be large smooth hills, and a coastline. The city wont be very big at first, and there was not much growth until the 1950s.

I will post an update once i finish the 1940s model of Lakeport's CBD.

Old Posted Apr 1, 2016, 9:05 PM

Here is an update to the final version of Lakeport, during its huge construction boom in the late 1940s.

Geography:

Lakeport would be located in the northeastern tip of Minnesota, above Lake Superior, the city would have a neighboring city called Haywood, which is located 20 miles southwest.

History:

Lakeport was founded in 1874, and quickly grew to its peak of 403,034 until WWII, and the population declined until the end of the war with a total population of 343,048. From 1947 to 1959 the city grew quickly to a population of 378,900.

The Lakeport Tribune Building, standing at 195ft or 59.4m was the tallest building in the city, until the Lexington Bank Tower was completed in 1948.

The Lexington Bank Tower is a 25 story tower, standing at 495ft or 150m. (credit to Vellu for the facade textures.)
Completed in August 1948

Progress in April 1948

Construction nearing completion in July 1948

Last edited by Codster121; Apr 1, 2016 at 9:25 PM.

Old Posted Apr 9, 2016, 12:22 PM

I like this timeline presentation style and your historic buildings look nice. Maybe you could fill the city in with some filler buildings before you continue your city's history, so it would look even more realistic.

The back round info and the building names are also a nice touch of realism. Keep these updates coming!

Old Posted Jun 3, 2016, 9:40 PM
Desert Dweller

I'm loving the timeline presentation with Lakeport City, it's fun to see your buildings rise up from the ground, any updates?

Old Posted Jun 12, 2016, 12:49 AM

Unfortunately my right hand was injured last month, and i can't use it for about 4-6 weeks. I'll post a real update of Lakeport as soon as possible, but i can upload a picture of what it looks like now.

Lakeport, Minnesota, 1960 (i am also making a fictional representation of Duluth near Lakeport)

Lakeport was founded in 1874, and is located just east of Duluth, MN, it is on the shore of Lake Superior, and is one of the northernmost major cities in the United States.

It is known as a port city and shares its port with Duluth, and during the 1960s became a commercial hub of the great lakes, in the picture above, a skyscraper has overtaken the city's former tallest building, to become Minnesota's tallest 1960s buiding, the LDS tower, also known as the Lakeport-Duluth Shipping tower, will rise to 492ft, however the completion of the IDS tower in 1972 in Minneapolis will dwarf the building by 300ft. Lakeport will also be plagued with parking lots durng the 20th, and early 21st centuries, just like Minneapolis.

In 1960, the city's population reached 402,897, making it the second largest city in Minnesota, after Minneapolis, of which had 482,872 residents.

Last edited by Codster121; Jun 12, 2016 at 1:02 AM.

Old Posted Jun 12, 2016, 2:01 PM

I really like your city so far. I am from Minnesota and this is an interesting concept to me. Will your representation of Duluth be about the same size city?

Old Posted Jun 13, 2016, 2:00 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mity1021 View Post
I really like your city so far. I am from Minnesota and this is an interesting concept to me. Will your representation of Duluth be about the same size city?
Duluth will be about the same size, but Duluth will have taller skyscrapers than it does in reality.

Old Posted Jun 13, 2016, 5:36 AM
Desert Dweller

I'm liking what I see here, sorry to hear about your hand. I'm excited to see what buildings will spring up next! The Lexington Bank Tower is gorgeous, was it entirely your creation or did you take some inspiration from an existing building?

Old Posted Jun 13, 2016, 2:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Patrick View Post
I'm liking what I see here, sorry to hear about your hand. I'm excited to see what buildings will spring up next! The Lexington Bank Tower is gorgeous, was it entirely your creation or did you take some inspiration from an existing building?
It takes a little bit of inspiration from the Woolworth Building in New York, but is otherwise mostly my design. it stands at 495ft, the big box next to it is home to the Lakeport-Duluth Shipping Corporation, 492ft high.

Small update:
Lakeport, May 31st 1961. (The LDS tower is complete.)

Aerial of Lakeport in June 16th 1961. (Lakeport passes the 1961 height restriction, preventing any new buildings from surpassing 180ft.)

Old Posted Jun 18, 2016, 12:30 AM

It all looks good

Old Posted Jun 18, 2016, 4:39 PM

The Lexington Bank Tower is great landmark! I also like the modernist box of the LDS Tower, although I think it could use a bit of work on the base. Like make the first floor taller than others and highlight the entrance with for example a canopy.

I really like the effort you put into this city's history.

Old Posted Jul 3, 2017, 8:47 PM

Lakeport is still alive, and I am currently working on a massive new update for lakeport, and I will bring back many buildings from the original version of Lakeport, with updated textures and details.

Teaser...

Old Posted Jul 4, 2017, 2:39 AM
Pro Web Slinger

Dang, things are about to get real good!

Old Posted Jul 10, 2017, 5:10 PM

Lakeport 1977 - The 1961 height restriction was lifted in late 1966 for downtown, but is still in effect throughout the rest of lakeport, preventing buildings in those areas from reaching more than 180ft.

For reference, Arlington is the city on the other side of the St Anthony River, and has a population of 123,647 according the 1976 census (not a real city either.)
It is also called "the dirty side" due to its heavy industrial presence, such as automotive and other factories, railyards and coal power plants. Arlington was founded in 1874, the same year as Lakeport.
There will be a city up the lake called Twin Ports, based on Two Harbors, MN, but bigger, though its tallest building will be a grain elevator, since it will be focused on agriculture.
Down the river, Located in the place of duluth is Haywood, with roughly the same population, but it's skyline will be a bit larger than Duluth.

The old Arlington River Bridge was built in 1934, but collapsed in 2014 after years of neglect, with no traffic on the bridge at the time of it's collapse. The bridge in 1977:

Downtown July 10th, 1978

Buildings from left to right, Westport Tower, LDS Tower, Henry Ford Plaza, Lincoln Center, and The Callahan Tower

The Westport Center is a large white modernist office building, it was finished in 1973, next to the LDS tower. It is a landmark for the city of Lakeport, and is the second tallest building in the city at 630ft (192m) (this build was in the original version of lakeport) It was inspired by the Galcorp Tower in Staunton.

The LHS Tower (formerly LDS) has been redesigned, adding new detail, and now the 7th tallest building in the city. Rising to 475ft (144m)
The building is still owned by the Lakeport-Haywood Shipping company, a company which operates many of the bulk carriers, and other freighters that enter the port of Haywood, the company also handles logistics for nearby ports, and the Arlington Railyard, in co-operation with the Arlington Rail Company.

Henry Plaza is made up of three brown modernist buildings, and it is officially known as Henry Ford Plaza when opened in 1968 and it's three buildings have heights of 583ft, 438ft, and 292ft (177m, 133m and 89m.) The Henry Ford Plaza is owned by the Chryoneer Motor Group (this building was also in the original version of Lakeport)

Lincoln Center is still under construction, with one of its buildings nearing completion.
The complex will have three identical black post-modern buildings, with a central angled tower, a small courtyard in the center, and spectacular views of the Callahan Square Park, the buildings are due for completion by 1980. The main tower will rise to 598ft - 182m

The Callahan Tower is a large art deco style office building, built in 1939, and is inspired by the Rockefeller Center in NYC, and rises to 513ft (156m) (this building was in the original version of lakeport, too.)

Looking North, with Lincoln Tower 2 finishing construction.

Buildings shown by consecutive height:
On the far right is the Lexington Tower, the tallest building the Lakeport (by roof height) rising to 674ft (205m)
With the First National Bank on the same block rising to 425ft (129m) to its roof, and 702ft to the tip of the antenna, making it have the highest point in the city.
Also on the same block is the Superior Building, opened in 1911 it was once one of the tallest buildings in lakeport, but has since been overshadowed by its neighbors.

The construction site in the background will be the Lakeport US Bank Headquarters, just a black boxy modernist office building, will be the 5th tallest in the city, just 2 feet higher than the Callahan Tower, at 515ft or 156m (also 156m, weird)

Here is a street level shot, with the Metropolitan Building in the foreground.

Thanks to Vellu for many of the textures, and many lowrise buildings and the trees from Bourne. Patrick Griffin for the texture the Lexington Tower uses. The traffic lights are "Minneapolis traffic signal mods" on the 3D warehouse.

Last edited by Codster121; Jul 12, 2017 at 1:54 PM.

Old Posted Jul 16, 2017, 7:52 AM

I really like the combination of old and new. It gives the city a sense of history and character. I also appreciate the effort put on the background story.

Old Posted Apr 24, 2018, 8:30 PM
Desert Dweller

Codster121, I'm really hoping you've continued with Lakeport City. I'm just now seeing this update and I'm please to see how much the city has grown! I'm curious to see how the Lincoln Center turned out and I'm even more excited to see how Lakeport transformed during 1980's. Really hoping to see some awesome postmodern buildings like the ones in Minneapolis! I was going to comment on the abundance of empty lots but seeing how this is the 1970's, it's actually a pretty accurate reflection of the large scale urban renewal happening across the country at the time.

Anyways, I hope you've worked on Lakeport since your last post, while this sub forum has seen busier days, I'm sure many of us, including myself, have been lurking and checking for updates. Also, I'm very flattered that the Westport Center was based off of One Galcorp Plaza. Feel free to put in a Galcorp midwestern headquarters in Lakeport.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Urban Art > Google Sketchup