HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Atlantic Provinces > Halifax > Halifax Peninsula & Downtown Dartmouth

Old Posted May 5, 2014, 7:35 PM
hähnchenbrüstfiletstüc

[Halifax] Harris East | ? m | 5 fl | Complete

56 unit condo project in the North End.

Rendering:

Source

Old Posted May 5, 2014, 7:38 PM
hähnchenbrüstfiletstüc

This one is mostly pre-sold so hopefully construction will start soon. It's only a couple blocks away from Q Lofts.

Old Posted May 5, 2014, 8:05 PM

This is a great little project - fits in with what I was hoping would happen for the area. I'd just like to see what the plan is for Agricola be taller (but only if it's conceived for say a streetcar).

Old Posted May 5, 2014, 11:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by someone123 View Post
This one is mostly pre-sold so hopefully construction will start soon. It's only a couple blocks away from Q Lofts.
why are these mostly pre-sold, but Q-Lofts are having a hard time selling?

Old Posted May 5, 2014, 11:55 PM
BUILD!

Quote:
Originally Posted by counterfactual View Post
why are these mostly pre-sold, but Q-Lofts are having a hard time selling?
I think it's because the fact that Harris East is selling units starting at $199,000 and are banking on people wanting less space (for less money).

Old Posted May 6, 2014, 12:04 AM

I dunno... paying $200K for 450 sq ft on Harris St doesn't seem to make sense to me, but what do I know...

It does seem to indicate that Polycorp's plans to get $450K for 1000 sq ft next door was way too ambitious for this neighborhood.

Old Posted May 6, 2014, 1:51 AM

This building should fit in great! I'm a bit worried about the visual appeal (materials will make it or break it) but the curb appeal and density of this project is great!

Old Posted May 6, 2014, 2:00 AM

That area of Maynard street really isn't known for its visual appeal, it and the Q loft are mostly surround by buildings that look like car chop shops

Old Posted May 6, 2014, 4:46 AM

Again, I'd like to see some street level retail space worked into the development, at least as an option later on.

Old Posted May 6, 2014, 2:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by someone123 View Post
56 unit condo project in the North End.

Rendering:

Source
very reminiscent of the new building on Portland near five corners

Old Posted May 6, 2014, 3:53 PM

Quote:
Again, I'd like to see some street level retail space worked into the development, at least as an option later on.
Theatre Lofts took years to get tenants in its retail space (and it's located on Gottingen). I suspect that scared the developer off from that possibility in this development.

Old Posted May 6, 2014, 4:00 PM

Quote:
Maynard isn't a comical street and having it be only residential helps out current and future retail space along Agricola and Gottingen St a lot more.

Old Posted May 6, 2014, 6:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by xanaxanax View Post
Maynard isn't a comical street and having it be only residential helps out current and future retail space along Agricola and Gottingen St a lot more.
I don't find anything funny about Maynard Street at all...but in terms of 'commercial' being on the street; I'd have to agree. It's not really a commercial high street - it has some lingering auto-oriented industrial/commercial uses but those are likely non-conforming (allowed because of history; but not by right under current zoning) and will go away once the land values reach a tipping point.

Frankly, I think the main commercial streets in this area are Gottingen and Agricola. If some commercial had to go on in; I'd suggest it mainly be some localized neighbourhood mixed use at the corner of Maynard and Roberts and be nothing more than a local corner store of coffee shop. Anything beyond that - I wouldn't recommend as the trip generation for cars brings those trips too far into the neighbourhood.

Granted my ultimate dream for Agricola would be to see it closed down to be a transit/pedestrian only street with designated delivery zones which can be accessed at certain times to help the ground floor commercial. Vehicles could cross Agricola (so if you turned up West Street from Maynard, you could still cross Agricola to get to Robie) but could not make any left/right turns onto Agricola. I think that would send the land values through the roof and turn this street into a very interesting place to be (and necessitate an increased level of density/bldg height).

Plus, since it has the lowest car volumes compared to Robie/Gottingen - the impact would be smaller to close it. I'd want to try it between Cunard and North Street and then eventually close it all the way to Young (once the Brewery outgrew it's location and moved). Of course the challenge would be that in order to provide access; you'd have to purchase enough land that you'd have a means to gain access off of a side street (or partner with adjacent land owners and get access easements). This might be an instance where I'd want the City to just swoop in and expropriate or buy out a lot of folks and then create an arms length development company (much like Calgary did with the East Village) and then re-assemble the parcels to be able to work with a development plan. I'm not always a fan of expropriation, but this might be the solution in this case (to fit my dream). Likely will never happen though...but it's nice to day dream.

Old Posted May 6, 2014, 7:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by halifaxboyns View Post

Granted my ultimate dream for Agricola would be to see it closed down to be a transit/pedestrian only street with designated delivery zones which can be accessed at certain times to help the ground floor commercial. Vehicles could cross Agricola (so if you turned up West Street from Maynard, you could still cross Agricola to get to Robie) but could not make any left/right turns onto Agricola. I think that would send the land values through the roof and turn this street into a very interesting place to be (and necessitate an increased level of density/bldg height).
Of course the challenge would be that in order to provide access; you'd have to purchase enough land that you'd have a means to gain access off of a side street (or partner with adjacent land owners and get access easements). This might be an instance where I'd want the City to just swoop in and expropriate or buy out a lot of folks and then create an arms length development company (much like Calgary did with the East Village) and then re-assemble the parcels to be able to work with a development plan. I'm not always a fan of expropriation, but this might be the solution in this case (to fit my dream). Likely will never happen though...but it's nice to day dream.
I dunno--I like a lot of that vision, but I'm wary of the long arm of the government getting involved in areas that are naturally revitalizing on their own. Calgary's East Village had/has a lot of social and geographic problems (and a LOT of vacant land) that the Agricola corridor doesn't have to deal with. I'd be happy to see Agricola continue growing organically--perhaps with some extra guidance from a neighbourhood-specific planning guideline, but mass expropriation seems unnecessary and probably undesirable. A great neighbourhood is a delicate balance--things are already going very well on the street right now. Upsetting the environment that's fostering that feels risky.

Old Posted May 7, 2014, 9:59 PM

Old Posted Aug 22, 2014, 6:32 PM

A construction permit for a 56-unit residential building was issued for this site on July 23rd.

Source : ExploreHRM

Old Posted Aug 23, 2014, 4:26 AM

The coloring just seems odd to me and the cladding looks a bit cheap.

Reminds me of those taller apartment buildings down close to Barrington in the north end... not a great thing.

Old Posted Aug 23, 2014, 1:45 PM
Salty Town

Quote:
The coloring just seems odd to me and the cladding looks a bit cheap.

Reminds me of those taller apartment buildings down close to Barrington in the north end... not a great thing.
I agree. Cheap being passed off for modern and it happens over and over again. This type of building will likely require a lot of maintenance and always appear worn. Spice is another example of cheap looking materials.

Old Posted Aug 23, 2014, 2:10 PM

Graffiti criminals in that neighborhood will have a field day vandalizing the metal siding and the dark-colored sections. I wouldn't touch this one with a 10-foot pole.

Old Posted Aug 23, 2014, 2:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Keith P. View Post
Graffiti criminals in that neighborhood will have a field day vandalizing the metal siding and the dark-colored sections. I wouldn't touch this one with a 10-foot pole.
Any colour/shade building can be spray-painted if it's in the right area. I'm not sure any particular design could have prevented that possibility. Unless it was all glass, maybe.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Atlantic Provinces > Halifax > Halifax Peninsula & Downtown Dartmouth