HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Southwest

Old Posted Oct 25, 2018, 8:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RonnieFoos View Post
So I'm curious. Is the dorm going to be in addition to the student housing that will get built as part of the Central Station development, or is this going to be as part of the Central Station project?
If the article quoted Crow accurately, then my guess is that Central Station dorm will be a separate, 2nd one. Thunderbird will be coming online Jan 2021 so those new graduate students will need a place. The Electric Red RFP quotes a late 2022/early 2023 completion date for both towers.

Old Posted Oct 25, 2018, 8:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Obadno View Post
Says north of the ymca, for some reason I remeber an article or a rumor about asu buying or planning to develop the swc of Filmore and 1st ave across from the circle k

Idk why that’s in my head
Yes, ASU did buy those parcels, ones directly south of the BofA drive-thru ATM.

Old Posted Oct 25, 2018, 9:04 PM
Modulator

So we could be seeing 2 more student towers in addition to Central Station? I can live with that.

Old Posted Oct 25, 2018, 9:20 PM

Quote:
So we could be seeing 2 more student towers in addition to Central Station? I can live with that.
ehy 400 units on a potentially long rectangular lot...maybe not a tower

Old Posted Oct 25, 2018, 9:29 PM
Modulator

Quote:
ehy 400 units on a potentially long rectangular lot...maybe not a tower
True. Let's hope they divide up the lots for multi-purpose use.

Old Posted Oct 25, 2018, 9:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ASU Diablo View Post
If the article quoted Crow accurately, then my guess is that Central Station dorm will be a separate, 2nd one. Thunderbird will be coming online Jan 2021 so those new graduate students will need a place. The Electric Red RFP quotes a late 2022/early 2023 completion date for both towers.
Yeah I was just thinking with those timelines really all of these projects need to get moving in the next couple of months.

Especially Thunderbird and the Biomedical building.

Old Posted Nov 2, 2018, 6:18 PM

https://downtowndevil.com/2018/11/01...form=hootsuite

Just an article on Thunderbird, no real news other than a couple of renderings and a completion date of April 2021. I wish I had known about the open house.

Old Posted Nov 2, 2018, 6:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Classical in Phoenix View Post
https://downtowndevil.com/2018/11/01...form=hootsuite

Just an article on Thunderbird, no real news other than a couple of renderings and a completion date of April 2021. I wish I had known about the open house.
I mean thats basically 2 years, they need to get moving.

Edit: Actually the caption on the picture is missing a word but it seems like it says its supposed to get started by January 19'

Old Posted Nov 2, 2018, 11:40 PM

Good find. I was struggling with what they were trying to say there.

Old Posted Feb 12, 2019, 1:09 AM

New Research Building to Break Ground Soon

By Angela Gonzales – Senior Reporter, Phoenix Business Journal
2 hours ago
Arizona State University is quietly preparing to break ground on a $77 million research center on the Phoenix Biomedical Campus in downtown Phoenix.

Baltimore-based Wexford Science & Technology LLC, a real estate company that builds research and medical centers nationwide, is building the project, which is being financed by Ventas Inc. (NYSE: VTR), a Chicago-based real estate investment trust.

The 200,000-square-foot Wexford Science and Technology building is an important step in ASU's expansion of its research footprint in downtown Phoenix and facilitating the growth of private sector investment in bioscience and health technology, said Morgan Olsen, executive vice president, treasurer and CFO of ASU.

“This is an important part of the strategy to attract private investment in that industry to downtown Phoenix and will help a robust biomedical technology ecosystem develop there," he said. "ASU is pleased to partner with Wexford, which has done this successfully in other places. The city of Phoenix has been an extraordinary partner, and this represents exciting progress for all involved.”

Christine Mackay, economic development director for the city of Phoenix, which owns the 7-acre vacant parcel, said the property is north of Fillmore Street to Garfield Street, between Third and Sixth streets, which is northwest of the 220,000-square-foot UA Cancer Center at St. Joseph's Hospital and Medical Center.

Old Posted Feb 14, 2019, 5:59 PM

No need to link the whole article,

Basically ASU is short on housing downtown so they are paying neighborhood apartments to give discounts to freshman.

https://downtowndevil.com/2019/02/14...udent-housing/

I find it strange how slow ASU is to build student housing downtown, they have the land and the money Taylor place is the 1st and only dorm built downtown and it was built 10 years ago.

Seems strange to have not built additional dormitories or one of the many student housing companies ASU deals with constantly in Tempe to build something downtown.

Old Posted Feb 14, 2019, 6:02 PM

Quote:
No need to link the whole article,

Basically ASU is short on housing downtown so they are paying neighborhood apartments to give discounts to freshman.

https://downtowndevil.com/2019/02/14...udent-housing/

I find it strange how slow ASU is to build student housing downtown, they have the land and the money Taylor place is the 1st and only dorm built downtown and it was built 10 years ago.

Seems strange to have not built additional dormitories or one of the many student housing companies ASU deals with constantly in Tempe to build something downtown.
There was an article in AZBEX the other day about upcoming education projects and it mentioned that ASU was looking at long term plans/ funding for new dorms downtown. Possibly entering into joint partnerships for development. It said there were no concrete plans yet.

Old Posted Feb 14, 2019, 8:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by azsunsurfer View Post
There was an article in AZBEX the other day about upcoming education projects and it mentioned that ASU was looking at long term plans/ funding for new dorms downtown. Possibly entering into joint partnerships for development. It said there were no concrete plans yet.
Isnt the Central station project supposed to have one 18 story tower dedicated to student housing?

Old Posted Feb 14, 2019, 8:20 PM
Modulator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr.RE View Post
Isnt the Central station project supposed to have one 18 story tower dedicated to student housing?
That's what I thought...and Link Phase 2...could supposedly be student housing...while not confirmed.

Old Posted Feb 14, 2019, 8:48 PM

A graduate student "dorm" is planned to be built at 384 N 1st Ave, taking over that parking lot from the YMCA, those two boarded up buildings, and up to that Bank of America drive-thru on Fillmore. This was confirmed at the last DVC meeting I attended, is supposed to be like 9-10 stories from what I remember with a starting date of later this year.

Old Posted Feb 14, 2019, 9:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Phxguy View Post
A graduate student "dorm" is planned to be built at 384 N 1st Ave, taking over that parking lot from the YMCA, those two boarded up buildings, and up to that Bank of America drive-thru on Fillmore. This was confirmed at the last DVC meeting I attended, is supposed to be like 9-10 stories from what I remember with a starting date of later this year.
Terrible, Shrink that footprint and make it 20 stories.

Old Posted Feb 14, 2019, 9:38 PM
Modulator

Quote:
Terrible, Shrink that footprint and make it 20 stories.
I agree. ASU is taking up a just a tad bit too much Downtown land. Granted, ASU was a primary catalyst for the rebound of Downtown Phoenix, but now that Downtown has apparently hit it's stride, time for ASU to build a little taller and leave some space for future office, residential and retail.

Old Posted Feb 14, 2019, 9:48 PM

Quote:
I agree. ASU is taking up a just a tad bit too much Downtown land. Granted, ASU was a primary catalyst for the rebound of Downtown Phoenix, but now that Downtown has apparently hit it's stride, time for ASU to build a little taller and leave some space for future office, residential and retail.
They have the tendency to do that in Tempe too. Most of what's been shown for the Novus corridor so far has been mid to low rise office and residential buildings. It's frustrating as hell.

Old Posted Feb 14, 2019, 9:54 PM

Im always amazed at how academia constantly criticizes corporations and the like yet are some of the worst when it comes to everything from Pay to time off to work/life balance and even urban form.
  • Build a 20 story student housing monolith with shitty design between a stadium, Parking Garage Empty lot and pool in 2012
  • Build a low rise apartment building downtown on prime realestate 7 years later in a booming market

I dont get it.

Old Posted Feb 14, 2019, 10:25 PM
Skyriser

^What 20 story building? University House? That was private. But the dorms behind Palo Verde near Manzanita are bad, and the frat village is an abomination.

ASU's real estate office is everything wrong with academia--purposeless administrative bloat. They have to be the worst neighbor in real estate in the state. Stagnancy like downtown Phoenix landbankers, planning worse than lot & rendering condomania, and development is just a step up from O'Neill Printing with how it engages with the community.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Southwest