HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Mountain West

Old Posted Yesterday, 1:58 PM

[QUOTE=Orlando;9009751]
Quote:
Originally Posted by jedikermit View Post
One of my friends does the "Salt Lake City History Minute" on YouTube for the Mayor's Office...there are some good (and short) ones in there too:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=q5Gu2uK8kUE

Thanks for this post. I watched Return of The Jedi at the Centre Theater while the floods were flowing down State Street, where the theater was directly on.
That's where I saw The Empire Strikes Back!

...my grandma was there too, and afterwards said she "didn't understand anything the big hairy one said"

Old Posted Yesterday, 3:48 PM

[QUOTE=jedikermit;9010478]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Orlando View Post

That's where I saw The Empire Strikes Back!

...my grandma was there too, and afterwards said she "didn't understand anything the big hairy one said"

Old Posted Yesterday, 5:29 PM
NIMBY Hater

Quote:
Originally Posted by bob rulz View Post
I've been dreaming of getting rid of that parking lot on the corner of 400 South and State forever. Would be such a good location for a skyscraper and would push our skyline a little further south.
I know for a fact that developers have made inquiries, but the owner is an institutional real estate company and prefers to hold for now. As long as parcels cash flow profitably, there's no rush to develop or dispose.

Old Posted Yesterday, 6:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Schmoe View Post
I know for a fact that developers have made inquiries, but the owner is an institutional real estate company and prefers to hold for now. As long as parcels cash flow profitably, there's no rush to develop or dispose.
I think it is time that SLC institute a surface parking tax in the CBD, maybe just the D-1 zoning.

Something akin to:

Surface parking lots, located in a D-1 zone will receive a $100.00 per month tax for each stall. The tax increases for each major street that abuts the parking lot.

This would make the parking lots a lot less desirable.

Zoning changes won't really impact existing items, taxes however can and that would be a great place to get them.

Old Posted Yesterday, 7:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Schmoe View Post
I tried finding the previous two tower proposal that was previously shown way back in the mid to late 2000's. I believe it was by Wasatch Partners or Hamilton Partners. Can someone dig for it?

Old Posted Yesterday, 7:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Orlando View Post
I tried finding the previous two tower proposal that was previously shown way back in the mid to late 2000's. I believe it was by Wasatch Partners or Hamilton Partners. Can someone dig for it?
It was by Wasatch Partners.

If I can find some more time, I will see what I can dig up.

Old Posted Yesterday, 7:58 PM
Space Magi

I would love for something like this to go on that State/400S lot:

Old Posted Yesterday, 8:39 PM

Dixon Place Update

And the Sugarmont ruin (not sure if we can call this an update)

Old Posted Yesterday, 9:02 PM

It doesn't work 100% of the time, but if you go to Google and type in the project name and Salt Lake City Development Thread the page number will come up where you can find it. This usually works more often than not.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Makid View Post
It was by Wasatch Partners.

If I can find some more time, I will see what I can dig up.
Quote:
Originally Posted by SLC2GeorgetownU View Post
The Strand
Salt Lake City, UT

Type: High Rise

Stories: 24
Density: 312.5 du/ac
Units: 350
Acres: 1.12
Unit Sizes: 580 – 1,300 sq ft
Parking: 319 spaces (0.91/unit)
Construction: Type IA
Retail: 8,914 sq ft
Financing: Conventional

https://humphreys.com/project/the-strand/

Old Posted Yesterday, 9:37 PM

Quote:
I think it is time that SLC institute a surface parking tax in the CBD, maybe just the D-1 zoning.

Something akin to:

Surface parking lots, located in a D-1 zone will receive a $100.00 per month tax for each stall. The tax increases for each major street that abuts the parking lot.

This would make the parking lots a lot less desirable.

Zoning changes won't really impact existing items, taxes however can and that would be a great place to get them.

Yessss!!!...Best idea since sliced bread. I hate those land banking parking lots.

Old Posted Yesterday, 10:01 PM
Space Magi

delts, I think they were actually referencing some old proposals on the parking lot at the corner of 400 S and State, not that cool "Strand" proposal for 255 S. State lot. I just really dig the Strand proposal and would be happy to see it resurrected or reimagined somewhere else.

Also, Dixon place is looking good! Thanks for the update scottharding. I think Sugarmont is progressing, albeit slowly and behind curtains. Every time I've seen it, there have been active workers there.

Old Posted Today, 2:33 AM

Oh okay. Well, The Strand is cool to look at anyway. I wish they would put something like that at the corner of 400 S. too, or any number of corners for that matter.

Old Posted Today, 2:44 AM

Regardng the Strand, I'm glad they didn't go with it. The shorter design fits in better from a urban form standpoint. The Strand would be perfect for the NE corner of 4th South and State.

Old Posted Today, 3:44 AM

I did some digging and while it has been fun reviewing some history of developments in Downtown SLC, I was able to find the first mention of a taller tower for the NE corner of 400 S and State Street:

From February 2, 2007...

https://archive.sltrib.com/story.php...ews/ci_5141286

Quote:
John Dahlstrom, executive vice president of Wasatch Property Management...

His company has tentative plans for a building that could surpass the COB. Preliminary drawings call for a 33-story tower on the corner of 400 South and State.
I know that plans changed into twin condo towers that would be noticeably taller than the COB from a distance, as mentioned by Dell Loy Hansen sometime between 2007 and 2010.

The towers were ultimately scrapped due to the economic downturn and the difficulty in getting funding for Condo projects.

Due to the current ownership of the lot, I don't think we will see it developed for the next decade or more. I actually think it is more likely that we will see the SE corner of 3rd South and State Street redeveloped as a 475' or taller tower before the parking lot is developed.

Old Posted Today, 5:50 AM

Nice find. I do remember seeing a rendering of the two towers at some point. I think it's in the first SLC development thread.

Old Posted Today, 5:02 PM

Quote:
I actually think it is more likely that we will see the SE corner of 3rd South and State Street redeveloped as a 475' or taller tower before the parking lot is developed.
That sounds good to me too! Get rid of that ugly low-rise mid-century office building...in fact, I'm in favor of getting rid of as many of those in the CBD as we can.

End

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Mountain West