HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Pacific West > Sacramento Area

Old Posted Jul 14, 2020, 9:02 PM

It really sucks what is happening downtown right now with resturants/retail and its likely most (if not all) will fold.

But the good thing here is that at least right now we are setting ourselves up for longer term success with all of the residential recently added and with the residential under construction right now. Its still not enough but at least it's in the right direction.

We'll recover from Covid eventually, but when recovering it will be extremely helpful to have a much higher baseline of residents than we do right now for the new retail/restaurants that will eventually replace what's there now.

Old Posted Jul 14, 2020, 11:25 PM

True and thank you for countering with some positivity. 700K is probably close to full, and 6th/Capitol Mall and the Sacramento Commons projects are moving ahead. The new anthem Cathedral project, hopefully 10K. Even the Creamery townhomes and assorted small Southside Park area projects have added some needed bodies on the west side. Once all those are built and full, we'll have a downtown residential population greater than anytime since, what WBurg, the 70s?

I hope the trees in the Railyards start getting some more love, and new ones are planted according to the master plan sooner vs later. Even though T9 is 90% bare land, that stretch along 7th has the most gorgeous mature treescape. The Railyards trees that have been in for years seem to be starved of water, and new ones will be needed along the roads and park being developed now.

I'm excited to see the new Twin Rivers redevelopment project Mirasol Village and the accompanying light rail station get built. I believe both are solidly funded. And less funded but hopefully happening: a complete streets makeover for a stretch of N 12th and of Richards.

Also, this article in Sactown Mag caught my eye a while back:

http://www.sactownmag.com/April-May-...p-of-the-Town/

I think its a great idea, and Discovery Park does seem like the most logical space for it. Public art, nature, and an observation tower all combined. I'd also like to see an observation tower type thing on the old Sutter's Landing landfill hill one day, but that's another topic for another day.

Old Posted Jul 15, 2020, 1:26 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by innov8 View Post
Future office needs are going to decline as companies consider permanent
work from home policies.

Colliers International has reported that “At least 20% of Sacramento area restaurants
have already permanently closed due to the current pandemic. The most recent
announcement was PF Chang's at 16th & J Street. Many more small businesses will
close as a result of these new business shutdowns and restrictions.” In addition, “The
State of California has paused new office leasing. And many companies are considering
or are already in the process of downsizing as executives consider implementing
extended or permanent work from home policies.
A friend of mine said COVID is the end of the high-rise in Sacramento. I respectfully disagree, we had a very hard time getting office high-rises way before COVID. I don’t believe the virus will affect any proposed buildings. Tower 301 and Vanir were never going to happen anyway. But it will give CalPers an excuse to buy even more time to not push forward at the ‘hole in the ground’.

As Majin said, there are still plenty of projects to look forward to. Several midrise residential and hotel projects are moving along nicely. The Sac County courthouse, MLS stadium, and Aggie Square are next in line.

Last edited by Pistola916; Jul 15, 2020 at 5:28 AM.

Old Posted Jul 16, 2020, 2:22 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Korey View Post
My taxpayer dollars going to housing? You commie!

The downtown retail scene is suffering a great recession/furloughs type disaster (maybe even worse) right now. If only the powers that be had listened to us and encouraged a more residential downtown there would be some demand there; hard to charge top dollar rents for Class A when everything around the office is boarded up. Although I wasn't necessarily for the convention center/theater remodel, the timing has worked out well with no revenue possible anyways. Also, I can't wait for the unwrapping of the Paragary hotel, it feels like a present with all that mesh up.
Well, seeing as how the R Street Garage is now dead, I think it's a moot point. Having said that, I believe if the state is going to whine about housing, it should've thought about adding a housing component to the "hole in the air" garage it was going to build anyway. Regardless, the project is dead... for now. And, yes, you're all commie pinkos that need to get outta my country (half-joking)

The upward economic cycle had to end at some point. All it needed was an excuse; and it has gotten a nice big one.

Now, it is time to prep and position for the next upward swing. The best things don't happen at the top; they happen on the way to the top.

I wish the USA had a sound dollar and avoided deficit spending. Making money out of thing air while spending money we don't have may "prime the pump" in way. However, it just sets up another recession and kicks the can down the road for future major issue.

Old Posted Jul 16, 2020, 10:48 PM

I wonder if wrapping the garage just doesn't pencil out very well. It would be primarily a garage so the housing component would be pretty small I'd imagine. Maybe this could have been addressed by having stricter design oversight from the city? A requirement that new garages must have a housing component.

If the state wants to get serious about housing in general I think there are plenty of un and under-utilized lots that the state already controls or could acquire easily, that a funded housing authority could use to have contractors bid on building dense, transit oriented housing, which the state could rent out on a non-profit or subsidized basis and recoup some of the costs. Even charge market rate rents for units, just get more supply built. Of course I don't want to see enormous public sums spent building apartments in pricey Mountain View or West Side LA, but would rather have transit investment to get people to those job centers. I do value mixed income communities though so am mindful of that.

I'm an economics nerd and our monetary policy has been really fascinating this past 12 or so years. You would think that inflation would be roaring (and certain goods are) but generally we've been fighting deflation and the dollar has stayed quite strong. Trillions into the money supply and inflation can't crack 2%, it's upsetting conventional wisdom.

A fiscally prudent budget and policy is of course desirable, it's just achieving a consensus mix is quite hard. We certainly need to enact sweeping reforms of many of our institutions and governmental programs, some of which maybe cost more in the short run but will be beneficial for the long term security and health of the system. Tax policy, criminal justice/policing/prisons, immigration, social safety net programs, mental health policy, infrastructure spending, defense spending, education. The list is long but I believe our country is well positioned and we have the heart and drive to get it done

Sacramento's core was really fun after the last hype bubble popped in 2008 and the recession cooled things down. Now we get a chance to reset a bit, consolidate, shake things off, and shoot for that next level.

Old Posted Sep 11, 2020, 5:34 PM

Sacramento most searched city in the US on Redfin for homebuyers looking to leave their current city.

Sacramento Was the Most Popular Migration Destination in July, With More Than Half of Home Searches From Buyers Outside the Area
August 28, 2020 at 8:10 AM EDT

Quote:
Sacramento, Phoenix and Las Vegas Are Still the Most Popular Destinations
Sacramento has overtaken Phoenix as the most popular destination for homebuyers looking to move to a different metro area. Sacramento, Phoenix and Las Vegas—all places with a median home price of under $475,000—are perennial hotspots for migrants. Austin and Atlanta round out the top five in terms of net inflow, as they did in the second quarter. A net inflow means more people are looking to move in than leave, and a net outflow means more people are looking to leave than move in.
http://press.redfin.com/news-release...july-more-half

Old Posted Dec 7, 2020, 5:04 AM
“The Big EasyChair”

This city is in bad shape.

This city seems to be littered with trash everywhere. It’s bad enough downtown and midtown remain boarded up with graffiti, but everywhere you look there seems to be trash strewn all over the place. It’s as if Mayor Steinberg, the City Council and Board of Supervisors have just decided ‘to hell with it’.

I wouldn’t live in the Central City now if rent was free. I would rather live in Placerville or Auburn at this point in my life.

It’s unfortunate that Covid took the wind from Sacramento’s mini boom.
The protests and vandalism was another nail in the coffin.

But the exploding homelessness, substance abuse and the environmental impact caused has reached a critical level. When I phone my city councilman, I’m told the city has to tread carefully because they can’t remove trash unless they go through a lengthy process to determine if the trash belongs to the homeless because the courts have ruled that it’s the property of the homeless. That’s not compassion; it’s insanity.

Old Posted Dec 7, 2020, 5:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by urban_encounter View Post
This city seems to be littered with trash everywhere. It’s bad enough downtown and midtown remain boarded up with graffiti, but everywhere you look there seems to be trash strewn all over the place. It’s as if Mayor Steinberg, the City Council and Board of Supervisors have just decided ‘to hell with it’.

I wouldn’t live in the Central City now if rent was free. I would rather live in Placerville or Auburn at this point in my life.

But the exploding homelessness, substance abuse and the environmental impact caused has reached a critical level. When I phone my city councilman, I’m told the city has to tread carefully because they can’t remove trash unless they go through a lengthy process to determine if the trash belongs to the homeless because the courts have ruled that it’s the property of the homeless. That’s not compassion; it’s insanity.
Picking up trash takes money. Cleaning stuff takes money. Getting people substance abuse help takes money. Getting homeless in housing costs money.

The sad thing is the people who complain the loudest about the problems of homelessness are often the first the cry about "no new taxes!" and opposing programs and changes to laws that would actually fix these problems.

We should rightfully criticize the mayor and civic leaders and governor for not doing enough to deal with it. But it's not like they have a huge pot of money to actually fix the problems and aren't able to because of their incompetence or lack of will. We simply don't put enough money into dealing with, much less ending homelessness.

Last week I drove along W and X streets and I had never seen so many tents and camps before. I'm not sure if people are there waiting for the new shelter to open up (looks like construction hasn't even begun). But this problem is going to get worse- we are creating a new wave of homelessness that will get worse in January as more and more people, entire families, are evicted.

Old Posted Dec 7, 2020, 10:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by urban_encounter View Post

Ummmmm yea so you just pretty much described every major city on the west coast (except maybe San Diego). Go to Portland, Seattle, SF or DTLA and it is even worse.

Old Posted Dec 8, 2020, 12:53 AM

^^ I was in San Diego a few months ago and it's just as bad there. Not to mention other parts of the country.

Old Posted Dec 8, 2020, 7:00 PM

Yeah even on reddit there is some belief that the homeless situation is somehow unique to Sac or uniquely bad in Sac. It's bad everywhere. If you live in a city anywhere in the country you have a homeless problem.

Probably a bit worse in warmer climates for obvious reasons.

Old Posted Dec 8, 2020, 7:32 PM

Even Hawaii has a huge homeless problem. You see homeless tent city on beach parks.

Old Posted Dec 10, 2020, 5:59 PM

The Top 10 Housing Markets of 2021—Who Made the List?

https://www.realtor.com/news/trends/...r-millennials/

1. Sacramento
2. San Jose
3. Charlotte
4. Boise
5. Seattle
6. Phoenix
7. Harrisburg
8. Oxnard
9. Denver
10. Riverside

Quote:
To come up with the ranking, Hale's team factored in past sale prices and number of sales; the rate of new construction; and previous and anticipated economic, household, and income growth in the 100 largest metropolitan areas. (Metros include the main city as well as nearby smaller towns and urban areas.)

Old Posted Dec 11, 2020, 6:11 AM
“The Big EasyChair”

Quote:
Originally Posted by SacTownAndy View Post
The Top 10 Housing Markets of 2021—Who Made the List?

https://www.realtor.com/news/trends/...r-millennials/

1. Sacramento
2. San Jose
3. Charlotte
4. Boise
5. Seattle
6. Phoenix
7. Harrisburg
8. Oxnard
9. Denver
10. Riverside
I have to admit that I’ve been considering Phoenix myself.

Old Posted Jul 21, 2021, 4:42 PM

If anyone's interested, there's a virtual open house next week regarding the Broadway Bridge project. They'll talk scope and timeline.

https://www.cityofwestsacramento.org...le=allupcoming

Old Posted Jul 23, 2021, 2:24 PM
“The Big EasyChair”

Quote:
If anyone's interested, there's a virtual open house next week regarding the Broadway Bridge project. They'll talk scope and timeline.

https://www.cityofwestsacramento.org...le=allupcoming
Thank you for the link.

I was disappointed that after so many years the I Street Bridge replacement (which we’re still waiting on), will only be three lanes.
We really do a poor job of planning for the future in this City.

I’m not sure what their timeline is for the Broadway Bridge but if the I Street replacement is any indication, it’s going to be a very long time.

Old Posted Aug 16, 2021, 5:17 PM

One of the (many) reasons rent and house prices have gotten so out of control here. We desperately need more density.

New census data shows how Sacramento's housing is failing to keep up with population growth

By Renata Geraldo – Data Reporter, Sacramento Business Journal
Aug 13, 2021, 5:51pm EDT

Quote:
Sacramento, Placer and Yolo counties share one thing in common — their population has grown more than the housing market could follow.

That's what the results of the 2020 census released Thursday show.

El Dorado County, on the other hand, had a greater increase in housing units than in population.

In Sacramento County, the population growth rate, at 11.7%, was about double the 5.7% increase in housing units from 2010 to 2020. Placer County had an increase of 12.9% in housing units — the second highest in the state — for a 16.2% increase in population. And Yolo County had a 7.7% population increase for a 6.8% housing unit increase.
https://www.bizjournals.com/sacramen...on-growth.html

Old Posted Oct 6, 2021, 5:32 AM
“The Big EasyChair”

What will happen with State office buildings?

Curious whether anyone knows what the plan is for vacant State office space as they continue to transition lower level workers to full time work from home? I have a few family members who work for the State all working remotely and even my nephew who’s at the bottom of the ladder will be working from home indefinitely.

I wonder if the State could expand CADA to include converting some of the buildings to apartments? They can’t be allowed to just sit empty. Of course this being the State of California they probably will

I feel bad for all the small businesses who endured a lot of vandalism from the protests, along with Covid closures and now the State pulling the rug out from under there feet. So far the city is quiet.

Old Posted Oct 6, 2021, 3:46 PM
Hindrance to Development

Apparently there are a few electeds talking about legislation to facilitate doing exactly that (converting offices to residential), not sure if it's focused on state office buildings or offices in general. In the long run, several thousand more downtown residents will make more of an economic difference to downtown businesses than a larger number of commuters, plus residents will be more likely to visit those businesses outside of office hours (reducing the tendency of downtown restaurants to only be open 10 AM-3 PM because they only do lunch.)

While remote work is now going to be commonplace for office workers, it won't be universal. We're already seeing some returning to in-person work, and I expect there will be a lot more--in the long term, maybe half of office work will be remote, the other half in person (and some people with hybrid schedules, working in an office a couple days a week), which still means a lot of office footprint.

CADA is already well positioned to take on the task of converting surplus office space to housing, either through reuse or new construction. They have the administrative organization and the experience to do so fairly seamlessly, and they're running out of vacant blocks otherwise. CADA's mandate to provide a significant proportion of affordable units means that some of that housing will be affordable for the entry-level state employees who are largely still working in person--office techs, museum guides, facilities maintenance and groundskeepers. Despite remote work, someone has to mind the front desk, plants still grow and need watering, and that can't be done remotely.

I definitely hope CADA finally gives up the dumb idea of a planned state parking structure at 7th & R Street and build housing there instead; even more redundant than the office buildings are the grossly underutilized parking lots, public or private.

Old Posted Oct 6, 2021, 4:23 PM
你的媽媽

Quote:
One of the (many) reasons rent and house prices have gotten so out of control here. We desperately need more density.

New census data shows how Sacramento's housing is failing to keep up with population growth

By Renata Geraldo – Data Reporter, Sacramento Business Journal
Aug 13, 2021, 5:51pm EDT

https://www.bizjournals.com/sacramen...on-growth.html
Is there anything stopping Sacramento from building more high density urban core housing? I don't know but I'm assuming you guys have less NIMBYs up there.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Pacific West > Sacramento Area