HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Discussion Forums > City Discussions

Old Posted Jun 18, 2019, 5:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MonkeyRonin View Post
I mean it's the more densely populated and more touristy of the two cities - and I'd argue probably has more streetlife and nightlife throughout.

"Most" of San Francisco (like any other city) consists of pretty quiet residential areas too.
San Francisco is more densely populated than Lisbon.

Old Posted Jun 18, 2019, 5:44 PM
An Optimistic Realist

Bear in mind guys, I'm talking about Mediterranean cities, whether European or North African/ Middle Eastern, could be good models for Californian cities to follow for increased density. Skyscrapers can also help, but due to the risk of earthquakes and retaining many of the views that bring people here, mid rises are probably on the path of least resistance.

It's pretty much already like this in SoCal. I'm driving through La Jolla as I am typing this post and see great examples of what could be more widespread here.

Old Posted Jun 18, 2019, 5:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Acajack View Post
I've been to lots of those low-density sprawling SFH zones in Europe, and the difference is that they *generally* have better and more frequent transit at least along the main road in the area. And that nearby main road usually has a type of crossroads "village centre" with at least a few buildings like a café, a tabac (French-style smoke shop) and other basic services - which actually resembles a village centre as opposed to a strip mall.
True.

I believe Malibu only has one Metro bus line that goes down PCH, connecting it with Santa Monica. I'm sure the locals like it that way, though.

And the Malibu Country Mart acts as Malibu's de facto "downtown":
https://www.google.com/maps/@34.0356...4!8i8192?hl=en

Supposedly there are chances of seeing "celebrities" there. I've been there a few times and didn't see any, although the 2nd time I was there, I could've sworn I saw Joni Mitchell.

~ Charles Bukowski

Old Posted Jun 18, 2019, 5:47 PM
¥ ¥ ¥

Quote:
Originally Posted by iheartthed View Post
San Francisco is more densely populated than Lisbon.

Yeah sure, the population divided by land area of the municipality is slightly higher in San Francisco than it is Lisbon. Lisbon also has a lot more undeveloped land.

Intuitively though I think it should be pretty obvious that Lisbon is more densely built. Surely after years of SSP we all understand that city density comparisons don't really mean much on their own?

Old Posted Jun 18, 2019, 5:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by iheartthed View Post
Except in the nightlife areas, Lisbon seems very quiet to me.
Funny you should say that; I know someone who visited Portugal and told me that the Portuguese seemed to be a very reserved/aloof people. He was expecting them to act more "Mediterranean." But hehe Portugal isn't on the Mediterranean, dude.

They're definitely not like Brazilians.

~ Charles Bukowski

Old Posted Jun 18, 2019, 5:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MonkeyRonin View Post
Yeah sure, the population divided by land area of the municipality is slightly higher in San Francisco than it is Lisbon. Lisbon also has a lot more undeveloped land.

Intuitively though I think it should be pretty obvious that Lisbon is more densely built. Surely after years of SSP we all understand that city density comparisons don't really mean much on their own?
I really don't care about this argument, but what you said was false and I was pointing it out. I'm not even sure why my innocuous opinion about Lisbon vs SF has even triggered this dick measuring contest. If it makes you feel any better, I would much rather live in Lisbon than in San Francisco.

Old Posted Jun 18, 2019, 5:52 PM
¥ ¥ ¥

Just thought it was kind of weird to describe Lisbon as "quiet" - as though it were the lesser San Francisco.

Old Posted Jun 18, 2019, 5:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jd3189 View Post
Bear in mind guys, I'm talking about Mediterranean cities, whether European or North African/ Middle Eastern, could be good models for Californian cities to follow for increased density. Skyscrapers can also help, but due to the risk of earthquakes and retaining many of the views that bring people here, mid rises are probably on the path of least resistance.

It's pretty much already like this in SoCal. I'm driving through La Jolla as I am typing this post and see great examples of what could be more widespread here.
Nice. Have you had a chance to make it up to Santa Barbara yet?

~ Charles Bukowski

Old Posted Jun 18, 2019, 5:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sopas ej View Post
True.

I believe Malibu only has one Metro bus line that goes down PCH, connecting it with Santa Monica. I'm sure the locals like it that way, though.

And the Malibu Country Mart acts as Malibu's de facto "downtown":
https://www.google.com/maps/@34.0356...4!8i8192?hl=en

Supposedly there are chances of seeing "celebrities" there. I've been there a few times and didn't see any, although the 2nd time I was there, I could've sworn I saw Joni Mitchell.
lol I sat next to Morgan Freeman at brunch on Easter a few years ago at a restaurant in the Malibu Country Mart. The voice of God on Easter Sunday

Old Posted Jun 18, 2019, 5:55 PM

Quote:
Funny you should say that; I know someone who visited Portugal and told me that the Portuguese seemed to be a very reserved/aloof people. He was expecting them to act more "Mediterranean." But hehe Portugal isn't on the Mediterranean, dude.

They're definitely not like Brazilians.
This is my own opinion, but Portuguese seem to be more friendly than others from southern Europe. They also seem to be less insular than their Spanish neighbors. And yes, having spent a lot of time in both Brazil and Portugal, I can confirm that Portugal and Brazil are about as different as the U.S. and the U.K... Maybe even more different.

Old Posted Jun 18, 2019, 6:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by edale View Post
lol I sat next to Morgan Freeman at brunch on Easter a few years ago at a restaurant in the Malibu Country Mart. The voice of God on Easter Sunday
Hehe! Isn't it funny when you see someone like that in person, at random? And they just look like regular people.

Some years ago I saw Andie MacDowell in Old Town Pasadena; I thought she aged well. It took me a few seconds to recognize her, but nobody else seemed to know who she was. I thought 'what's she doing here??' Haha!

~ Charles Bukowski

Old Posted Jun 18, 2019, 6:15 PM

So long as it doesn't look something like this:

Old Posted Jun 18, 2019, 6:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jd3189 View Post
Hey guys. So I was recently thinking about this as I increased my traveling around Southern California.

Much of the development pattern of LA, SD, and the other towns and cities consist of few high rise central districts surrounded by “seas” of low rise areas. This type of development, interspersed with the mountainous geography, reminded me of similar places in Mediterranean/alpine Europe, North Africa, the Levant, etc, in which you have dense low rise development with a few if any skyscrapers put against the topography of the area.

Thus, it came to my mind: Should California and other Western states follow the European model of dense low rise development in order to protect views and maximize their urban landscape?
Western cities have an odd pattern. On average they are denser throughout but have relatively small cores and relatively tall burbs. where Eastern cities have hyper dense cores that spread out into near rural obscurity over a relatively short distance.

Due to, as you said, Geography, preserves, large government owned tracts of Trust lands etc you have moderately dense suburbs that end abruptly at farms or open land.

Old Posted Jun 18, 2019, 6:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by M II A II R II K View Post

See this is what I mean.

Wouldn't be surprised if this little pocket happened to be surrounded by preserve/ or state land with only this one area being open for development.

it also could just be Hop-scotch, the first parcel to sell and develop with the land holders around still waiting for better purchase offers.

Old Posted Jun 18, 2019, 7:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by M II A II R II K View Post

Off-topic, but I don't mind this. Sure, its suburban hell and has zero use besides residential. However, its obviously in the desert and the houses are really close to each other and there seems to be no yards(grass to water etc.). Not bad considering.

Old Posted Jun 18, 2019, 9:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jtown,man View Post
Off-topic, but I don't mind this. Sure, its suburban hell and has zero use besides residential. However, its obviously in the desert and the houses are really close to each other and there seems to be no yards(grass to water etc.). Not bad considering.
Lawns and Landscaping are not an issue in the Desert Southwest. The big water users by a long shot are agriculture.

Old Posted Jun 18, 2019, 9:23 PM

Quote:
Hehe! Isn't it funny when you see someone like that in person, at random? And they just look like regular people.

Some years ago I saw Andie MacDowell in Old Town Pasadena; I thought she aged well. It took me a few seconds to recognize her, but nobody else seemed to know who she was. I thought 'what's she doing here??' Haha!
You ever see someone, and you know they're famous, but you can't quite put a name to the face? It's happened more than once and it actually bothers me way more than it should

Old Posted Jun 18, 2019, 9:30 PM
devout Pizzatarian

Quote:
Originally Posted by badrunner View Post
You ever see someone, and you know they're famous, but you can't quite put a name to the face?
years ago, i was waiting at a bus stop one afternoon in downtown chicago, and a group of bicyclists rolled up to the red light and stopped.

I immediately recognized one of them. in my head i was like "man, i totally know that dude from somewhere. who? is? he?"

the light turned green and they rode on and then like 20 seconds later it clicked in my brain "holy shit, that was john cusack!"

Last edited by Steely Dan; Jun 18, 2019 at 9:54 PM.

Old Posted Jun 18, 2019, 9:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by badrunner View Post
You ever see someone, and you know they're famous, but you can't quite put a name to the face? It's happened more than once and it actually bothers me way more than it should
Yes; I rarely go into the San Fernando Valley, but when I do, I will often see an actor, most often a TV actor... many of them live in the SF Valley, apparently.

It'll often happen at a restaurant I'm eating at somewhere along Ventura Boulevard, in Studio City or Sherman Oaks. I don't remember their names, but the ones that come to mind are the actor from "Will & Grace" (I never watched that show) and the actor who played Herbert Viola on "Moonlighting." I'm sure he's gone on to do other things, in fact, he had a supporting role in that movie "Ray"... but anyway, I don't know their names, but I know their faces. They stick out in my mind because I saw them both at the same restaurant (a Greek restaurant), but at two different times.

~ Charles Bukowski

Old Posted Jun 18, 2019, 10:09 PM
Inveterate Angeleno

Quote:
Originally Posted by Centropolis View Post
at this point, i think i'd rather preserve some character of "old" LA interspersed with many glassy highrises, centralized around subway stations. i don't know that i'd like to see the city razed for a giant south lake union. i don't know.
What's "'old' LA" to you? I think just about everything east of Western is fair game. Lots of early 20th century housing stock is being razed and replaced with fugly 5-7 "shit boxes" (as we call them), but said stock is either too decayed, too low-density, too unworthy of architectural preservation, or a combination of those things to be spared of demolition.

Everything between the LA River and Western Avenue should be Manhattan-level density.

— Jerome Bruner

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Discussion Forums > City Discussions