HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Manitoba & Saskatchewan

Old Posted Nov 26, 2013, 3:32 PM
North End Troublemaker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cyrodill View Post
City seeks input on plan to ease Polo Park traffic
Open house tonight to discuss project

The city plans to hold an open house at Canad Inns Polo Park tonight from 4 p.m. to 8 p.m. to hear what Winnipeggers have to say about its infrastructure-improvement plan for the busy shopping district.

The plan, which would involve two summers of construction, calls for extending St. Matthews Avenue from Empress Street to Route 90, widening existing portions of St. Matthews in the area, improving St. James Street from Maroons Road to Ellice Avenue and improving the Ellice-St. James intersection

Con't @ Article/Image Source
Rypinion and I had a good "discussion" about this with Councillor Fielding on Twitter... We told him it's a large sum of money and should have a referendum to decide. Unfortunately, he never replied.

Old Posted Nov 26, 2013, 3:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by steveosnyder View Post
Rypinion and I had a good "discussion" about this with Councillor Fielding on Twitter... We told him it's a large sum of money and should have a referendum to decide. Unfortunately, he never replied.
LOL

What happened to letting the voters decide? Democracy! People power!

Old Posted Nov 26, 2013, 4:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by esquire View Post
LOL

What happened to letting the voters decide? Democracy! People power!
No, no, no Esquire, you have it all wrong. Referendums are only for projects that are not in YOUR ward - not for pet projects within your fiefdom. Haven't we learned anything from councillor Wyatt's "Cancel all these wasteful infrastructure projects (except Plessis-Dugald Underpass)" campaign?

Old Posted Nov 26, 2013, 4:20 PM
North End Troublemaker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bdog View Post
No, no, no Esquire, you have it all wrong. Referendums are only for projects that are not in YOUR ward - not for pet projects within your fiefdom. Haven't we learned anything from councillor Wyatt's "Cancel all these wasteful infrastructure projects (except Plessis-Dugald Underpass)" campaign?
On that note -- here is an article from the Freep today about the Plessis underpass (kinda).

I find 2 problems with this article though... First, just because 16000 cars travel along a road when it is open doesn't mean that 16000 will move to different routes when it closes.

The other thing is the last paragraph; the author must not know our local government:

Quote:
City councils are better placed to make local infrastructure decisions than the Prime Minister's Office or the premier's office. It's time to trust our local politicians more, and federal and provincial politicians a little less.
Sorry, but I trust our local politicians about as much as I trust my dog will cook me dinner when I get home from work.

Edit: forgot link -- http://www.winnipegfreepress.com/opi...233421031.html

Last edited by steveosnyder; Nov 26, 2013 at 4:21 PM. Reason: Forgot Link

Old Posted Nov 26, 2013, 5:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by steveosnyder View Post

Nice job guys, make him sweat publicly, well at least on social media..no reply?? No surprise...

Old Posted Nov 27, 2013, 8:37 PM

http://www.winnipeg.ca/publicworks/M...structImprove/

Boards from the Polo Park Traffic thing open house are posted. Sure a lot of businesses being bought up for that St. Matthew's extension. Guessing that's where half that $30M is going. Maybe not that much, but a pretty penny anyways.

Old Posted Nov 27, 2013, 8:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bomberjet View Post
http://www.winnipeg.ca/publicworks/M...structImprove/

Boards from the Polo Park Traffic thing open house are posted. Sure a lot of businesses being bought up for that St. Matthew's extension. Guessing that's where half that $30M is going. Maybe not that much, but a pretty penny anyways.
Again, very strange that the City installed all those bumpouts on St. Matthews, effectively reducing it to 1 lane in each direction between Polo Park and downtown given that this plan calls for St. Matthews and Silver to be used more heavily.

Why purposely add choke points when you're spending a fortune on increasing capacity of the same street just 1 km west?

Old Posted Nov 28, 2013, 12:11 AM
Fossil fuel & rubber

Quote:
Originally Posted by esquire View Post
Why purposely add choke points when you're spending a fortune on increasing capacity of the same street just 1 km west?
Because that's what the cycling lobby wanted.

Old Posted Nov 28, 2013, 2:01 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Riverman View Post
Because that's what the cycling lobby wanted.
No, you can't blame "the cycling lobby" for this and other poorly planned cycling / AT infrastructure projects (e.g Berry St. Bikeway). No, these projects were rushed to completion so the city could take advantage of Federal stimulus dollars (the AT Infrastructure Stimulus Project, 2010). Rushed, poorly planned (or not planned at all), badly executed. I don't think anyone is happy with the result.

Old Posted Nov 29, 2013, 2:24 AM

amazing news on the highways on winnipeg
http://www.winnipegfreepress.com/loc...233724391.html

Old Posted Nov 29, 2013, 3:29 AM

Welcome to SSP! That is some interesting news. I've noticed cameras going up at various locations in wonjipeg. Some for traffic lights, some just cameras. I wonder if they'll be included.

Old Posted Nov 29, 2013, 3:46 AM

Thank you bomberjet I appreciate the feedback!!

Old Posted Nov 29, 2013, 2:29 PM
What could go wrong?

Headingley Bypass is essentially a go.
"But a city can be smothered by too much reverence for its past. The skyline must keep acquiring new peaks, because the day we consider it complete and untouchable is the day the city begins to die." - Justin Davidson - May 2010 Issue of New York

Old Posted Nov 29, 2013, 2:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Biff View Post
I've always thought about a 'south' Headingley Bypass - Hwy 2 to 424 to the Trans-Canada. It meets the Trans-Canada around where some have suggested the Headingley Bypass will meet.

I wonder if in their really long term planning MIT haa an alignment like that considered as almost an extension to the perimeter.

Old Posted Nov 29, 2013, 3:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rypinion View Post
I've always thought about a 'south' Headingley Bypass - Hwy 2 to 424 to the Trans-Canada. It meets the Trans-Canada around where some have suggested the Headingley Bypass will meet.

I wonder if in their really long term planning MIT haa an alignment like that considered as almost an extension to the perimeter.
I was thinking the same thing. For trucks and vehicles not going to CentrePort, the north Headingley bypass is out of the way. Kind of. It will probably be a shorter length of time then going through Headingley. So that's acceptable, IMO.

Old Posted Nov 29, 2013, 6:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Biff View Post
Good news! I really hope that along with the extension of CCW past Headingley that the NE and SE loops will be constructed on the CCW/101 interchange...anyone have any confirmation that is the plan?

Old Posted Nov 29, 2013, 6:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Reignman View Post
Good news! I really hope that along with the extension of CCW past Headingley that the NE and SE loops will be constructed on the CCW/101 interchange...anyone have any confirmation that is the plan?
It's pretty much 99.999%

Old Posted Nov 29, 2013, 8:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rypinion View Post

Looking at Google Maps that idea could work. I'd guess that it would probably reach the TCH on the west side of the Assiniboine to cut down costs. You could have PTH2 freeway-ish up to PR334, put up an interchange, and then work its way up to PR 427 and 424.

If the Headingly By-Pass is to really meet up with the TCH at St. FX, could there be a larger interchange that would include PTH26?

Yes I know...♪♪Dreamer, you're nothing but a dreamer♪♪

Old Posted Nov 29, 2013, 9:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by northern_hoser View Post
If the Headingly By-Pass is to really meet up with the TCH at St. FX, could there be a larger interchange that would include PTH26?
Only makes sense!

Old Posted Nov 29, 2013, 9:15 PM

Had a quick look through the prelim 2014 budget for the City and there is some cash budgeted for the Chief and Bill Clement Extensions. $1.5M for the Chief Peguis - Main St to Route 90 extension and $800k for the Bill Clement - Grant to Wilkes extension. Engineering works I'm thinking. Haven't heard much about these recently since the big announcement a year or so ago that they were being pushed ahead.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Manitoba & Saskatchewan