HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Southwest

Old Posted Mar 8, 2018, 2:37 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ASUSunDevil View Post
Looks cool to me.
Agreed. Any height is an improvement in my opinion. It also ain't the Sheraton either.

Old Posted Mar 8, 2018, 3:45 AM

Yeah looks like they are leaving the van buren side of the base open for a second tower

It removes the setback issue of the old proposal and looks to be what ~22stories and super wide?

I think it’s fine. It’s not like downtown is hurting for space and stocky wife buildings can end up being very cool/differentiation in the skyline hardly worth scoffing at

Edit: the only thing I dont like is there far to long timeline.

Last edited by Obadno; Mar 8, 2018 at 4:04 AM.

Old Posted Mar 8, 2018, 5:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by combusean View Post
We have something approaching a rendering for 200 W Monroe courtesy of DVC.

https://drive.google.com/file/d/1SuQ...rIOpK_SXx/view

I'm not impressed. It's what happens when developers have too large a lot. It's also a slap in the face compared to the developer's other projects in other cities which are larger and more architecturally interesting.
Yeah, not a big fan. I do prefer this to the previous office proposal. But generally not really in favor of full-block parking podiums. With 40,000 ft. of proposed commercial space, they could at least hopefully do that part of it right--I'm hopeful for instance for the street presence of Block 23 and Union in Tempe that have similar full-block footprints.

If it ended up like a scaled-down version of their Ft. Lauderdale project, that would be pretty cool.

EDIT: Also, not sure if Golub went through abandoning the alley, and it's hard to tell from the rendering whether there is still an alley beneath the building. If neither is true, they are setting themselves up for a battle with Urban Phoenix Project and Downtown Voices Coalition folks. And I could see the City not wanting to abandon this alley after abandoning the Barrister alley.

Old Posted Mar 8, 2018, 6:09 PM
Modulator

Quote:
Originally Posted by muertecaza View Post
If it ended up like a scaled-down version of their Ft. Lauderdale project, that would be pretty cool.

EDIT: Also, not sure if Golub went through abandoning the alley, and it's hard to tell from the rendering whether there is still an alley beneath the building. If neither is true, they are setting themselves up for a battle with Urban Phoenix Project and Downtown Voices Coalition folks. And I could see the City not wanting to abandon this alley after abandoning the Barrister alley.
It does look like it's a scaled down version of the Ft. Lauderdale tower. This is just a preliminary sketch and I'm sure a more detailed rendering will be much better looking.

I do see a fight brewing for the alley right-of-way considering how much of a fuss went into the Barrister abandonment. I am honestly against abandoning the alley myself. We need to decrease the number of super-sized blocks, not increase them.

Old Posted Mar 8, 2018, 6:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RonnieFoos View Post
It does look like it's a scaled down version of the Ft. Lauderdale tower. This is just a preliminary sketch and I'm sure a more detailed rendering will be much better looking.

I do see a fight brewing for the alley right-of-way considering how much of a fuss went into the Barrister abandonment. I am honestly against abandoning the alley myself. We need to decrease the number of super-sized blocks, not increase them.
I mean If they get the developer to redesign for the ally, they leave the Van Buren side empty for phase 2, even if we don't get phase 2 we get a better and bigger phase one.

Old Posted Mar 8, 2018, 7:19 PM

On the fence about the design, looks like a larger/modern version of the Professional Building. Disappointing when the article leads with their other designs which look far nicer. That one from Miami would do wonders here on such a prominent and visible lot. And I understand this is maybe just a preliminary rendering, so maybe in the end we'll get a noteworthy project.

In other news, the shipping containers for the Churchill are being installed. I believe we have only been informed of 5/10 tenants for this project.

Old Posted Mar 8, 2018, 8:54 PM

here's to hoping they have a 20' fire breathing praying mantis like the container park in las vegas.

Old Posted Mar 8, 2018, 9:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by biggus diggus View Post
here's to hoping they have a 20' fire breathing praying mantis like the container park in las vegas.
Lol I agree the shipping container thing I hate, and it will age like 2 week old milk.

Old Posted Mar 8, 2018, 9:34 PM

In a year that location is going to be the alcohol center of the universe, worst case scenario is the shipping containers are all leased to bars.

Old Posted Mar 8, 2018, 10:13 PM
Rising into view

They're putting in the containers at The Churchill. These are from just moments ago.

Old Posted Mar 8, 2018, 10:40 PM
Skyriser

I hate shipping container projects because of their third world aspect--we should be putting in buildings instead of upcycling industrial garbage in the downtown of such a large city.

But, like anything else, it's better than a vacant lot without the permanence of a "safe" building and not a huge investment that could be easily dismantled for future redevelopment.

Old Posted Mar 8, 2018, 10:42 PM

Quote:
I hate shipping container projects because of their third world aspect--we should be putting in buildings instead of upcycling industrial garbage in the downtown of such a large city.

But, like anything else, it's better than a vacant lot without the permanence of a "safe" building and not a huge investment that could be easily dismantled for future redevelopment.
Yeah, itll have a bar in it so there's that

Old Posted Mar 8, 2018, 11:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RonnieFoos View Post
So, I posted a while back about 200' building obstruction evaluation for the Kierland area. The obstruction was approved and now shows a little more detail. The permit shows "Proposed to build an approximate 200 foot tall mixed-use building of hotel, residential, office and commercial uses.".

I'm trying to find more information on the development. But it is not part of the Optima development.
Here is DMB's PUD packet with details about this development:

https://www.phoenix.gov/pddsite/Docu...Z/Z-14-18n.pdf

They take the interesting approach of proposing two alternatives: a 120' building that is more massive horizontally and therefore blocks more neighboring views (assumedly from Optima); or a 196' option that's obviously taller but more slender.

Old Posted Mar 8, 2018, 11:53 PM
BANNED

Quote:

They take the interesting approach of proposing two alternatives: a 120' building that is more massive horizontally and therefore blocks more neighboring views (assumedly from Optima); or a 196' option that's obviously taller but more slender.
Those zoom out balconies are so cool. Adds so much pow! and zing! I like.

Old Posted Mar 9, 2018, 4:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Obadno View Post
Yeah, itll have a bar in it so there's that
Awesome.

Old Posted Mar 9, 2018, 5:01 PM

While a little color variance would be nice. I kinda like the design and the slanted, triangular balcony or glassed in parts.

Old Posted Mar 9, 2018, 5:07 PM

That area is beginning to get a little kooky, there's a fairly large shopping/living development well under construction on the north side of Scottsdale Quarter as well.

Old Posted Mar 9, 2018, 8:01 PM

Quote:

Those look incredible!

Davis might be the most important architect in PHX. They're definitely helping PHX/Tempe take large buildings to a much higher level. I'd say they deserve to build our new tallest (Central Station)

Old Posted Mar 9, 2018, 8:04 PM

Quote:

Disagree with the first part. See: Austin, TX

We have plenty of other vacant lots. This will help the cool factor + get more people wanting to live Downtown.

Old Posted Mar 9, 2018, 9:59 PM
Skyriser

So that 3 story Paragon at Kierland complex was built in 2000, bought for $210,000 a unit a few years ago ... and they're proposing to raze it for a 120' complex?

That's crazy. I've never heard of a newer property lasting so short.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Southwest