HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Manitoba & Saskatchewan

Old Posted Dec 2, 2019, 6:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by OTA in Winnipeg View Post
Anyone know whatever happened with Brioni's restaurant in the Polo Park food court? Did they relocate? Their lasagna was fantastic.
It’s not listed on the Polo Park website so I imagine it outright closed.

Old Posted Dec 2, 2019, 6:44 PM

"Restaurant" might be a bit of an overstatement for Lolly's. It's like a canteen, just what you see in that photo... I imagine they'll be cooking the eggs on a hot plate.

Old Posted Dec 2, 2019, 6:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by OTA in Winnipeg View Post
Anyone know whatever happened with Brioni's restaurant in the Polo Park food court? Did they relocate? Their lasagna was fantastic.
Pretty sure Brioni's changed to Crust which then changed to the subpar Za.

Old Posted Dec 2, 2019, 8:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CoryB View Post
Thanks for the info. Unfortunate about the downgrade if true.

Old Posted Dec 2, 2019, 9:34 PM

Hargrave Street Market is to open on December 13. I hope they aren't superstitious opening on Friday the 13th. It is the food court for True North Square. As I understand it, the concept is similar to what they have at the Forks.

Old Posted Dec 3, 2019, 4:44 AM

Mucho Burrito is opening this Friday at 2080 McGillivray (In The Canadian Tire Lot)

Heard rumors of a few more locations:
Garden City Mall
Sobey's Extra on Pembina
Park City Commons (Plessis and Ravelston)

Old Posted Dec 3, 2019, 4:56 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Intrepid-Poster View Post
Hargrave Street Market is to open on December 13. I hope they aren't superstitious opening on Friday the 13th. It is the food court for True North Square. As I understand it, the concept is similar to what they have at the Forks.
Yeah, except you can pay for everything together on one tab I believe.

Opening on a Friday is not the best idea, hopefully they are well prepared.

Old Posted Dec 3, 2019, 5:00 AM

Chopped Leaf opened this week, located inside Red River Co-op supermarket at GrantPark Shopping Centre

Old Posted Dec 3, 2019, 7:12 AM
Orig. frm Alpha Pectaurus

Quote:
Originally Posted by Intrepid-Poster View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by buzzg View Post
Yeah, except you can pay for everything together on one tab I believe.

Opening on a Friday is not the best idea, hopefully they are well prepared.
Worst time of the year to open because people's $ are stretched at the holidays. Best time would have been May - October.

Oh well. Guess I have to save up my pennies too.

Will they be open on the 14th as well? May wait till then.

Operating hours (from the website):

Mon-Fri. 7 a.m. - 11 p.m.
Sat. 9 a.m. - 11 p.m.
Sun. 11 a.m. - 10 p.m.

So I'll try it out Saturday afternoon.

Last edited by LilZebra; Dec 3, 2019 at 7:23 AM.

Old Posted Dec 3, 2019, 2:10 PM

I am somewhat surprised that they will be staying open so late on weeknights as that area is a bit of a dead zone on non-MTS event nights. I guess the profits from the event nights will offset any losses from the non-event nights?

It will be nice to have another evening option in the area... if downtown had a nice, modern cinema that would be the perfect place for a quick bite before or after the show.

Old Posted Dec 3, 2019, 3:26 PM
Winnipeg

Quote:
Originally Posted by esquire View Post
I am somewhat surprised that they will be staying open so late on weeknights as that area is a bit of a dead zone on non-MTS event nights. I guess the profits from the event nights will offset any losses from the non-event nights?

It will be nice to have another evening option in the area... if downtown had a nice, modern cinema that would be the perfect place for a quick bite before or after the show.
IMO it felt like a deadzone because there were no dining options in the past there. By opening until close to midnight Hargrave' Market makes it more interesting to go to that area at night

Old Posted Dec 3, 2019, 3:42 PM

Hargrave Market could end up being like the Common. People just coming down to hang out, have a bite and a drink.

Old Posted Dec 3, 2019, 4:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by oftheMoon View Post
Hargrave Market could end up being like the Common. People just coming down to hang out, have a bite and a drink.
That would be awesome if it succeeds.

I will say, people do seem to be highly aware of Hargrave Market. Even people I know who aren't interested in SSP style banter are eagerly awaiting the opening and making plans for get togethers there.

Old Posted Dec 4, 2019, 7:53 PM
Dynamic Positivity!

Quote:
Originally Posted by CoryB View Post
Prior to Brioni's was Sbarro which even had an eat-in section.

Old Posted Dec 4, 2019, 10:05 PM
Winnipeg

Quote:
That would be awesome if it succeeds.

I will say, people do seem to be highly aware of Hargrave Market. Even people I know who aren't interested in SSP style banter are eagerly awaiting the opening and making plans for get togethers there.
After they announced their official opening date on Instagram, the response was really positive. Their post which announces the opening date has 77 comments. I consider that to be many for an account with just over 3800 followers

Old Posted Dec 5, 2019, 7:31 AM
Orig. frm Alpha Pectaurus

Quote:

I think all we have left downtown for cinemas are the Towne8 and Cinematheque @ Artspace.

Or in some hazy future take the 'A' bus ('rt' and Portage route in the Transit Master Plan), take in a show at the "Scotiabank" theatre at Polo then return via downtown to Hargrave St. Market.

Old Posted Dec 5, 2019, 6:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LilZebra View Post
I think all we have left downtown for cinemas are the Towne8 and Cinematheque @ Artspace.
The Met, Walker, Convention Centre and Garrick all continue to operate as theaters is some form but no longer focus on showing Hollywood movies. Additionally, indications are the Northstar theater still exists however it has been heavily vandalized by "urban explorers". Sadly due to lack of any basic efforts to preserve the theater when it stopped operating the Capital was destroyed beyond any possible reuse by the elements.

Old Posted Dec 5, 2019, 6:53 PM

^ If that's true, I'm surprised that vandals have laid waste to the Northstar given that it's an occupied building that is presumably equipped with around the clock security. But even if there has been damage I'm not sure how much it really matters... it would probably have to be totally renovated either way given that it's been mothballed for nearly 20 years.

Old Posted Dec 5, 2019, 8:54 PM

^^ Can't recall where I found it but there are (were?) photos of it online with things like the mirrored walls having been smashed and on the ground.

Honestly somewhat surprised it hasn't been converted to a use for corporate events that use a theater similar to how the Convention Centre movie theater has been reused. That said, even such a conversion would likely need significant renos as the Northstar theater halls were extreme deep. I also heard one of the major drawbacks is the space is not considered accessible due to the lack of elevator access. That said the whole catering/event side of CanadInns business would seem to be a natural fit for a reno/conversion.

Old Posted Dec 5, 2019, 8:57 PM

^ Yeah, that's always what I expected to happen with the space. I'm kind of surprised it hasn't.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Manitoba & Saskatchewan