HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Manitoba & Saskatchewan

Old Posted Nov 20, 2019, 11:55 PM

I was at The Local today. The ramen with fried chicken is very flavourful. Plus service was perfect. Nice easy going vibe there, brighter than it was as The Pint.

Old Posted Nov 21, 2019, 10:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by morty View Post
Ouch, that's a pretty scathing review.
I intended it to be a compliment as I enjoy both locations. Having said that, I still can't stop laughing at your comment...well played.

Old Posted Nov 27, 2019, 8:03 PM

Noticed that the Perkins signage is down at the old location on Henderson.

But the digital sign says "Closed For Renovations".
Anyone know what's going in there? Or if it's even going to be another restaurant?

Old Posted Nov 27, 2019, 8:10 PM
What could go wrong?

^ I heard the Salisbury House from up the street will be moving in there.
"But a city can be smothered by too much reverence for its past. The skyline must keep acquiring new peaks, because the day we consider it complete and untouchable is the day the city begins to die." - Justin Davidson - May 2010 Issue of New York

Old Posted Nov 28, 2019, 4:01 PM
Dynamic Positivity!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Biff View Post
^ I heard the Salisbury House from up the street will be moving in there.
That is a good move. The current Henderson Sals location is pretty dated and nearly invisible. If it can have the same feel/atmosphere as the Leila location does it will do very well in the area.

Old Posted Nov 28, 2019, 4:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wpg Woman View Post
Noticed that the Perkins signage is down at the old location on Henderson.

But the digital sign says "Closed For Renovations".
Anyone know what's going in there? Or if it's even going to be another restaurant?
Well, I'd say that means they're gone and that sign is by the landlord.

Perkins would never take down their sign to signal renovations. I guess this is just to assure the area that someting else is coming.
Quote:
Originally Posted by h0twired View Post
That is a good move. The current Henderson Sals location is pretty dated and nearly invisible. If it can have the same feel/atmosphere as the Leila location does it will do very well in the area.
I guess it's not a bad move, but damn, what's with this city and Sals? I think I have to try their downtown spot and see if my mind can be changed, but if all we strive for is a locally rebranded and older feeling Denny's then I'd say our ambition is lacking.

Henderson is slowly improving and I can appreciate the need for a brand identity before the neighbourhood gets used to trying out and appreciating independent joints... in which case I'd hope for a Stella's. It should be awesome in that spot.

Old Posted Nov 28, 2019, 4:16 PM

it isn't unheard of for a restaurant staying put to remove an old, dated sign and replace it with one of the current on-brand ones. The prime example is the retirement of the KFC spinning bucket signs.

That said all indications are Perkins is in full retreat from the Winnipeg market.

In terms of the Henderson location, Stellas would likely have been a better fit. Not that Stellas should be held up as the best example of local food in Winnipeg. That said they do extremely well where ever the locate and the northeast section of Winnipeg is completely a blank slate for them.

Another good fit would be Cora but not sure exactly what their local expansion plans are.

Old Posted Nov 28, 2019, 5:47 PM

Stella's is really awesome at traditional Canadian and European food -- sandwiches, coffee is A++, typical brunch dishes are the best. But some of their attempts at other cuisines are a miss. Had their "pad thai" once and it was like alfredo noodles with some sauce, with grapes and pineapple mixed in I think? And breadsticks on the side.

Ordered their fish tacos once, and similarly bad. Though their "Mexican Breakfast" is really nice.

Old Posted Nov 28, 2019, 6:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wolf13 View Post
Well, I'd say that means they're gone and that sign is by the landlord.

Perkins would never take down their sign to signal renovations. I guess this is just to assure the area that someting else is coming.

I guess it's not a bad move, but damn, what's with this city and Sals? I think I have to try their downtown spot and see if my mind can be changed, but if all we strive for is a locally rebranded and older feeling Denny's then I'd say our ambition is lacking.

Henderson is slowly improving and I can appreciate the need for a brand identity before the neighbourhood gets used to trying out and appreciating independent joints... in which case I'd hope for a Stella's. It should be awesome in that spot.
There is something to be said for brand name recognition. Salisbury House has been around for over 80 years. They are reasonably priced relative to most of the places out there when you factor in their deals/coupons. I do find the consistency to be lacking between different locations. Am I saying that the food is great? No, I am not going that far. I find it depends on what you order and which location you get it from. Having said that, the place has endured. I think their brand is somewhat in decline as they have closed some locations over the years. However, they seem to enjoy a loyal following and if that means potential success in the old Perkins on Henderson, more power to them. In Winnipeg, many people put value over quality. They equate cheap with good. Salisbury House delivers that for them.

Old Posted Nov 28, 2019, 6:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wolf13 View Post

Yeah I don't get Sal's. I've been to many locations around the city and have never been even mildly impressed. I have literally had waitresses missing teeth and reeking of cigarettes. Last time I went the waitress was surprisingly young but I felt bad for her cause some guy was yelling at her for not bringing jam with his toast, her mentioning that it's garlic toast didn't dissuade him either.

Old Posted Nov 28, 2019, 7:21 PM
Fossil fuel & rubber

Quote:
Originally Posted by cheswick View Post
I felt bad for her cause some guy was yelling at her for not bringing jam with his toast, her mentioning that it's garlic toast didn't dissuade him either.
That is hilarious!

Old Posted Nov 28, 2019, 7:46 PM

The staff and service and the Exchange Sals are amazing. It's nice in there, comfortable for meetings – chargers at all the booths. I go there way too much – at $5.47 for a full breakfast it's hard to beat (just ask for your hashbrowns extra crispy). Their coffee is actually really good too. And I'm saying all this as someone who is somewhat snobby about food: won't catch me dead at Perkins or Cora. Smitty's only acceptable for wings.

This new location is packed for breakfast and lunch with local workers, suits and all.

Old Posted Nov 28, 2019, 8:47 PM
Formerly rypinion

Quote:
Originally Posted by buzzg View Post
The staff and service and the Exchange Sals are amazing. It's nice in there, comfortable for meetings – chargers at all the booths. I go there way too much – at $5.47 for a full breakfast it's hard to beat (just ask for your hashbrowns extra crispy). Their coffee is actually really good too. And I'm saying all this as someone who is somewhat snobby about food: won't catch me dead at Perkins or Cora. Smitty's only acceptable for wings.

This new location is packed for breakfast and lunch with local workers, suits and all.
I was also going to say that the Lombard Sals is really good, and quite busy.

Old Posted Nov 28, 2019, 10:07 PM
Fossil fuel & rubber

Where is it?

Old Posted Nov 28, 2019, 10:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Riverman View Post
Where is it?
177 Lombard @ Rorie across from the Richardson Bldg

Old Posted Nov 28, 2019, 11:16 PM
Fossil fuel & rubber

The former Liberty Grill space? That is a really big room!

Good on them. Who doesn't love a cheap breakfast?

Old Posted Nov 29, 2019, 5:23 PM

There is a new restaurant open in Transcona at Regent and Day on the first floor of 101 Regent Ave W (recently renovated apartments upstairs). Quinlan's Deli/Cafe - not a lot of information but here's a facebook link to the menus:

https://www.facebook.com/pg/quinlans...=page_internal

Slightly upscale for the area, and the only proper sit down restaurant open for dinner and later in the area. Hopefully it does well.

Old Posted Nov 29, 2019, 6:56 PM

Za Pizza Bistro At Polo Park Is Now Open

Old Posted Dec 2, 2019, 4:20 PM
Winnipeg

Lolly' Restaurant is going to open on December 2nd in the recently constructed Smartpark Innovative Hub near University of Manitoba.

https://www.instagram.com/p/B5k3WhZn...d=dcdn7u2iivl7

Old Posted Dec 2, 2019, 4:25 PM

Anyone know whatever happened with Brioni's restaurant in the Polo Park food court? Did they relocate? Their lasagna was fantastic.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Manitoba & Saskatchewan