HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Southwest

Old Posted Nov 12, 2019, 9:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Obadno View Post
Optima is hardly a high rise, and I have always thought that the waterfront towers looked out of place.
150 ft. height limit in Scottsdale, so obviously they're not high-rises. Downtown Scottsdale is the perfect location for a high-quality mid-rise, so don't expect Waterfront to look out of place for much longer.

Old Posted Nov 13, 2019, 1:37 PM

Quote:
Scottsdale does not need height, i'd rather it didnt get any.

Tempe and Phoenix should be the focus, even add height to Chandler, Mesa and Glendale.

Scottsdale? Its a high end suburban area and restaurant/shopping district. It does not want nor need high rise condos.
Most of Scottsdale peer cities around other major metros disagree - they all have height. Some even higher than 150ft. I think its only a matter of time before some upscale project tries to differentiate itself from the others by going higher than 150ft and then it'll be a race for the tallest in a notable city.

They could bulldoze all of old town Scottsdale. There's nothing remarkable about it other than the cheap touristy crap the mostly vacant shops peddle. The bars and other retail will easily find home in the retail of the new mixed use coming to replace it.

Old Posted Nov 13, 2019, 3:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by xymox View Post
Most of Scottsdale peer cities around other major metros disagree - they all have height. Some even higher than 150ft. I think its only a matter of time before some upscale project tries to differentiate itself from the others by going higher than 150ft and then it'll be a race for the tallest in a notable city.

They could bulldoze all of old town Scottsdale. There's nothing remarkable about it other than the cheap touristy crap the mostly vacant shops peddle. The bars and other retail will easily find home in the retail of the new mixed use coming to replace it.
I think thats short sighted old town has a vibe that bulldozing would totally destroy as would many high rises, Im talking about the area south of the Canal but north of Osborn.

There is plenty of room in the valley for high rises we don't need to tear down one of the older unique neighborhoods for meh high rises and a steril brand new streets scape of forgettable modern storefronts.

Old Posted Nov 13, 2019, 3:46 PM
Modulator

I took a ride on the Crosscut Canal yesterday and noticed that land was bulldozed on the East side of the Canal and the South-side of McDowell. Does anyone know what is going to be built there? I don't recall any projects for that location.

Old Posted Nov 13, 2019, 4:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ASUSunDevil View Post
^

Old Posted Nov 13, 2019, 4:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RonnieFoos View Post
I took a ride on the Crosscut Canal yesterday and noticed that land was bulldozed on the East side of the Canal and the South-side of McDowell. Does anyone know what is going to be built there? I don't recall any projects for that location.
C'mon Ronnie! Apartments! A few pages back are the renderings...I give you a hard time because I love you!

Old Posted Nov 13, 2019, 4:54 PM
Modulator

Quote:
Originally Posted by azsunsurfer View Post
C'mon Ronnie! Apartments! A few pages back are the renderings...I give you a hard time because I love you!
Guess I missed that one!

Old Posted Nov 13, 2019, 7:31 PM

Demo equipment on site at Papago plaza and it seems like all remaining businesses on the south end of the property have vacated. Construction is imminent!

Old Posted Nov 20, 2019, 5:00 AM

Not to restart the retail "discussion" we recently had, but I find this interesting, https://www.abc15.com/news/business/...-in-scottsdale

Old Posted Nov 20, 2019, 5:36 AM

It's fascinating how loyal book readers are to book stores and turning pages. I've never heard anyone lament the loss of circuit city but a Barnes and Noble closes and people are shaken.

Old Posted Nov 20, 2019, 11:49 AM

I have to admit, I am one of those people. There is something fascinating about going into a store and browsing books.

Old Posted Nov 20, 2019, 3:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Classical in Phoenix View Post
I have to admit, I am one of those people. There is something fascinating about going into a store and browsing books.
Me too I hate E-readers. I get audio books a lot but mostly hard copies

Old Posted Nov 20, 2019, 5:41 PM

Quote:
Me too I hate E-readers. I get audio books a lot but mostly hard copies
Used my E-reader as a bookmark more than a couple times. Am all for a brick and mortar book store, need one in downtown Phoenix again.

Old Posted Nov 25, 2019, 5:51 PM

Drove By Papago plaza this morning and its coming down now. Should be flattened within the next few weeks

Old Posted Nov 26, 2019, 6:53 PM

Old Posted Nov 26, 2019, 7:00 PM

^ Eyesore down!

Anyone know what the plan is for the Papago Baseball Complex at 64th St & McDowell? The land has been getting cleared for months.

Old Posted Nov 26, 2019, 8:23 PM

Old Posted Nov 26, 2019, 10:20 PM
Modulator

Quote:
Originally Posted by biggus diggus View Post
They've been working on this for a couple years. Glad to see it's finally happening.

Old Posted Dec 4, 2019, 4:34 PM
Modulator

Southbridge 2 to go before Scottsdale Council today.

Quote:
Scottsdale City Council set to discuss SouthBridge 2 project

By Corina Vanek – Reporter, Phoenix Business Journal
Dec 3, 2019, 2:48pm MST

SouthBridge 2.0, a planned mixed-use development along the Scottsdale canal proposed by Spring Creek Development will go before City Council on Dec. 4 at its evening meeting.

The project is proposed to contain nearly 1.7 million gross square feet of new buildings, including up to 570 residential units, 200 hotel rooms, 119,000 square feet of office space and 86,000 square feet of retail space across several parcels totaling about 10 acres.

Fred Unger, the developer who created the first phase of SouthBridge along the Scottsdale waterfront, spent decades acquiring property along the canal with a dream of developing a second phase to his project at Stetson Drive north of Sixth Avenue.

However, he died in early 2018 before he had a chance to move further with the project. Now, Fred’s son, Carter, is president of the company and planning to develop his father’s legacy project.

The project will cost more than $700 million to complete, Unger told the Business Journal in October 2018 when the plans were first submitted to the city. Allen+Philp Partners is the project's architect.

“My dad saw that, in the desert, the canal is our waterfront,” Unger said at the time. “When SouthBridge 1 was first completed, it turned the canal into a tourist destination.”

In August, the city’s planning commission voted to recommend the city approve the project, which has gained both support and seen opposition from the community. More than 50 people, including business owners and residents in the area wrote to the council about the project, with the majority voicing their support and urging council to approve the project.

“Unlike out-of-town developers that seek to profit from Scottsdale's cachet. Spring Creek Development has always made quality its first priority,” Geoff Beer, board member of the Scottsdale Area Chamber of Commerce, wrote in a submission to the council. “Examples of its craftsmanship include the Hermosa Inn, the Royal Palms, and the current SouthBridge project — all signature destinations for Valley residents and tourists alike. SouthBridge 2.0 will continue, if not improve upon, this legacy.”

Those against the project often listed parking concerns and the height of the proposed buildings as their reasons for opposition. According to city documents, the highest point of any of the buildings is proposed to be 150 feet, and the entire development will include 1,500 total parking spaces across several parcels.
Source: https://www.bizjournals.com/phoenix/...uthbridge.html

Old Posted Dec 5, 2019, 3:02 AM
self-important urbanista

The city council just approved Southbridge II on a 4-3 vote. The vote was as follows:

Lane: Yea
Littlefield: Nay
Korte: Yea
Klapp: Yea
Phillips: Nay
Milhaven: Yea
Whitehead: Nay

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Southwest