HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Discussion Forums > City Discussions

Closed Thread

Old Posted Jun 17, 2019, 12:40 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by badrunner View Post
Whatever you say Mr. "We could only tolerate so many blacks" jtown.

It's all safely buried deep in history.
You don't even realize you're making my point for me. No historian or even casual observer would deny that when more blacks came to America, be it in the slave trade or by migrations north for jobs, racism, and laws or defacto laws were put in place to punish them by varying degrees. We aren't even discussing current race relations in America. It hasn't come up in our "discussion." You can't stay on task, can you?

Old Posted Jun 17, 2019, 12:45 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jtown,man View Post
You don't even realize you're making my point for me. No historian or even casual observer would deny that when more blacks came to America, be it in the slave trade or by migrations north for jobs, racism, and laws or defacto laws were put in place to punish them by varying degrees. We aren't even discussing current race relations in America. It hasn't come up in our "discussion." You can't stay on task, can you?
Sure thing Mr. "I refuse to use the term African-American" jtown.

We're talking history here, not current race relations. Try to stay on topic.

Old Posted Jun 17, 2019, 12:47 AM

Quote:
Sure thing Mr. "I refuse to use the term African-American" jtown.

We're talking history here, not current race relations. Try to stay on topic.
You suck at this. What does that statement have to do with race relations in any way?

YOU ARE TRYING TO FIND A SCARY RACIST ON SSP. Good luck.

Old Posted Jun 17, 2019, 12:49 AM

Here is the comment this guy keeps bringing up to show how racist I must be:

"Black Americans are American as apple pie. Most of them came here before 1800, while most whites came after that point. It's one reason I refuse to use the term African-American. It "others" them when they are American and have contributed to our history and culture as much as any population could that represents 13% of the population"

Old Posted Jun 17, 2019, 12:52 AM

Quote:
Here is the comment this guy keeps bringing up to show how racist I must be:

"Black Americans are American as apple pie. Most of them came here before 1800, while most whites came after that point. It's one reason I refuse to use the term African-American. It "others" them when they are American and have contributed to our history and culture as much as any population could that represents 13% of the population"
Sure thing Mr. "We aren't even discussing current race relations in America." jtown.

Let's get back to at what point in history did you start tolerating black people?

Old Posted Jun 17, 2019, 12:58 AM

Quote:
Sure thing Mr. "We aren't even discussing current race relations in America." jtown.

Let's get back to at what point in history did you start tolerating black people?
Me and you, no. We were discussion slavery.

You either don't get it, or you are like 13 and like to be petty on the internet?

Stating that Americans have a history of discriminating against blacks, and doing it more so when larger numbers of blacks either came here as slaves or moved up north for jobs relates to me personally how?

I am talking about events from the 1660s and 1920s. Please, keep up with the conversation.

Old Posted Jun 17, 2019, 1:03 AM

Quote:
Me and you, no. We were discussion slavery.

You either don't get it, or you are like 13 and like to be petty on the internet?

Stating that Americans have a history of discriminating against blacks, and doing it more so when larger numbers of blacks either came here as slaves or moved up north for jobs relates to me personally how?

I am talking about events from the 1660s and 1920s. Please, keep up with the conversation.
You got me there Mr. "Who do you think sold slaves to Europeans? It was Africans." jtown.

Say, how much of the blame do you think Africans should get for the transatlantic slave trade?

Old Posted Jun 17, 2019, 1:06 AM

Quote:
You got me there Mr. "Who do you think sold slaves to Europeans? It was Africans." jtown.

Say, how much of the blame do you think Africans should get for the transatlantic slave trade?
Do you have anything to say that isn't trying to "trap" someone or purely using only your reactive emotions?

Are you disputing that Africans sold slaves to Europeans? Do you think we shouldn't mention this for some weird reason? How much blame do you think they should take? 0%? 100%? I have never thought about that, so I don't have an answer. But that doesn't matter, you are just here to say im racist LOL

In 2019 you realize calling someone that or implying that doesn't mean much. Me telling you about history offends you and makes you think I am racist. This says more about you than me.

Old Posted Jun 17, 2019, 1:09 AM

Quote:
Do you have anything to say that isn't trying to "trap" someone or purely using only your reactive emotions?

Are you disputing that Africans sold slaves to Europeans? Do you think we shouldn't mention this for some weird reason? How much blame do you think they should take? 0%? 100%? I have never thought about that, so I don't have an answer. But that doesn't matter, you are just here to say im racist LOL

In 2019 you realize calling someone that or implying that doesn't mean much. Me telling you about history offends you and makes you think I am racist. This says more about you than me.
Whoa calm down there Mr. "I would rather be friends with a racist than a slaveholder" jtown.

What if you were friends with a racist and a slaveholder? I tend to think they go hand in hand. Two for one?

Old Posted Jun 17, 2019, 1:12 AM

Last post, you suck at this. You're not even good at being a troll. Go read up on some history(try not to get offended, my fragile friend) and then come back and apologize to me haha

Old Posted Jun 17, 2019, 1:14 AM

Quote:
Last post, you suck at this. You're not even good at being a troll. Go read up on some history(try not to get offended, my fragile friend) and then come back and apologize to me haha
Sorry to offend you Mr. "Europeans were the ones to finally stamp out slavery." jtown.

If Europeans finally stamped out slavery. Why do you follow me around like a lost dog?

Old Posted Jun 17, 2019, 1:16 AM

Looks like Mr. "We haven't seen rampant racism from cops." jtown has left the chat.

Old Posted Jun 17, 2019, 3:11 PM

I thought of this thread when I saw "The Last Black Man in San Francisco" over the weekend. I thought it was a good film.

imdb.com

~ Charles Bukowski

Old Posted Jun 17, 2019, 8:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Syndic View Post
What's wrong with a place being majority white?
Nothing. Those areas are increasingly becoming rare in urban areas. Most of those areas mentioned are either extremely wealthy or far out exurbs.

Old Posted Jun 17, 2019, 8:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JManc View Post
Europeans get a bad rap for slavery...more than most...because these empires were at their peak when the practice was at its peak and unlike anything before them, they had vast empires and logistics to sustain these far flung colonies and thus the Atlantic slave trade was born. No one before Europe had the capability to mechanize the slave trade the way Europe did and by the time the European powers were on a steady decline, the practice itself was on its way out. Americans knew it was bad as early as the Revolutionary war era. The Europeans banned it long before we did.
Surprised no one mentioned the slave trade against Europeans as an example of race based slavery.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Barbary_slave_trade

Old Posted Jun 17, 2019, 9:31 PM
Selfie-stick vendor

Or the Muslim African slave trade, which went on for ten centuries

Old Posted Jun 17, 2019, 10:02 PM
Dryer lint inspector

Quote:
Europeans do get a bad rap for slavery. You're right that it's probably an accident of history that Europeans became the most prolific slavers. But the real reason we care about the transatlantic slave trade more than say the slavery practiced by the Ottomans or the Tehuelche of Patagonia, is more immediate and present - It has had by far the biggest impact on the modern world, and it will continue to have repercussions far into the future. Our entire political culture today, with its deep divisions and acrimony reflects the far reaching legacy of slavery. Even the things we talk about daily in this forum, the growth and decline of cities, poverty, crime all bear the mark of slavery. Some want to put history in a box, bury it or pretend that there is a clean dividing line between the past (when "we could only tolerate so many blacks") and the present (when we suddenly became tolerant?). What people like jtown fail to realize about history is - we are living in it.
The entire world and the current order of things is a by-product of one society subjugating another. It's just that enough time has passed for most it to slip into relative obscurity and relegated to history books. The problem with slavery is that we continue to treat it as a contemporary social/ political issue rather than what it is...a historical event. It happened, it was horrible but it ended 150 years ago and everyone personally involved is long dead as well as their immediate decedents and much of what plagues urban America has more to due with subsequent Jim Crow laws than slavery itself. The legacy of that is still alive. The confederate statues people are protesting about are Jim Crow era relics and still an controversial issue in 2019.

Old Posted Jun 17, 2019, 10:40 PM
Selfie-stick vendor

^ good points

Old Posted Jun 18, 2019, 3:05 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JManc View Post
The entire world and the current order of things is a by-product of one society subjugating another. It's just that enough time has passed for most it to slip into relative obscurity and relegated to history books. The problem with slavery is that we continue to treat it as a contemporary social/ political issue rather than what it is...a historical event. It happened, it was horrible but it ended 150 years ago and everyone personally involved is long dead as well as their immediate decedents and much of what plagues urban America has more to due with subsequent Jim Crow laws than slavery itself. The legacy of that is still alive. The confederate statues people are protesting about are Jim Crow era relics and still an controversial issue in 2019.
It is ironic that at the moment when legal subjugation of African-Americans was being lifted and the civil rights movement was at its peak, in urban areas it became popular for black people to want to toss off the culture and goals of their supposed white "slave masters" and build a separate, unique society of their own manifested by wearing African-style clothing, adopting pseudo-African and Islamic names, condoning radical politics (think Black Panther Party) and evolving into an obsession with "bling", misogyny and sports in which black athletes are successful.

In places like Oakland, it has even been argued that a black dialect called "ebonics" should replace English as the language of the public schools (in the Bay Area some said the Bay Bridge was the longest bridge in the world, connecting 2 totally different societies).

The unfortunate thing for adherents to these ideas was that, outside sports and entertainment, the majority white culture still dominates America and by rejecting it, urban black people also rejected much chance of succeeding in the greater America. Imagine the plight of a student educated in "ebonics" trying to be successful on Wall Street or corporate America.

Some of this has calmed down in the last 2 or 3 decades but I see such phenomena as black athletes kneeling at NFL games as residua of it. So the question remains whether it is really in the interest of black people to segregate themselves from the mainstream now that the laws which segregated them have faded into history.

Old Posted Jun 18, 2019, 3:12 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pedestrian View Post
in urban areas it became popular for black people to want to toss off the culture and goals of their supposed white "slave masters" and build a separate, unique society of their own manifested by wearing African-style clothing, adopting pseudo-African and Islamic names, condoning radical politics (think Black Panther Party) and evolving into an obsession with "bling", misogyny and sports in which black athletes are successful.
What's wrong with some African Americans re-embracing elements of their African heritage, after having assimilated (by force, unlike many immigrant groups who did it by choice) to "white" English American culture?

How is that any different from say Irish-Americans five generations removed from Ireland proudly wearing and flaunting symbols of Ireland, and bringing a Gaelic phrasebook to visit Ireland, or Chinese Americans keeping Chinatowns alive, even though they may have little or no connection to the immigrants who founded those enclaves in the 1800s, or even the entire Jewish diaspora keeping traditions alive for generations and reviving traditions, like using the Hebrew language, that were nearly lost?

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Closed Thread

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Discussion Forums > City Discussions