HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Global Projects & Construction > Proposals

Old Posted Mar 11, 2019, 1:40 AM
New Yorker for life

“Office buildings are our factories – whether for tech, creative or traditional industries we must continue to grow our modern factories to create new jobs,” said United States Senator Chuck Schumer.

Old Posted Mar 12, 2019, 8:38 PM
New Yorker for life

Looks like RXR made a move on the Chrysler as well...

https://www.bloomberg.com/amp/news/a...der-new-owners

Quote:
Scott Rechler’s RXR Realty, which lost the bidding with an offer of about $150 million, had looked at turning the tower into a mixed-use property that would have included a hotel, according to the person, who wasn’t authorized to speak because the matter is private.

...RXR Realty is part of a team that plans to transform the nearby Grand Hyatt New York, the hotel that launched Donald Trump’s career as a real estate developer, into a new 2 million-square-foot tower with offices, retail and lodging. The team also includes developer TF Cornerstone and MSD Partners LP, the investment firm that manages money for Michael Dell and his family.

“Office buildings are our factories – whether for tech, creative or traditional industries we must continue to grow our modern factories to create new jobs,” said United States Senator Chuck Schumer.

Old Posted Mar 19, 2019, 1:54 AM
New Yorker for life

MARCH 18, 2019

Imagining a 2 msf office/hotel/retail tower in this space...

Old Posted Mar 22, 2019, 3:37 AM
New Yorker for life

Old Posted Mar 22, 2019, 4:45 PM

What is the smokestack used for?

Old Posted Mar 22, 2019, 7:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by UrbanImpact View Post
To make an atrocious looking building even uglier.

Old Posted Mar 22, 2019, 7:23 PM
New Yorker for life

Quote:
Originally Posted by UrbanImpact View Post
I assumed it was for the station below, but have no idea.

Old Posted Mar 22, 2019, 7:29 PM

It's a minuteman ICBM silo hidden in plain sight.

Old Posted Apr 3, 2019, 3:19 PM
Show me the blueprints

Good Curbed backstory

There is no goodness in him, and his power to convince people otherwise is beyond understanding

Old Posted Apr 3, 2019, 4:45 PM
New Yorker for life

That's a good read. I like the idea of a modern day Terminal City taking shape.

Also of note is what's planned for the Chrysler...
http://forum.skyscraperpage.com/show...&postcount=298

Old Posted Apr 10, 2019, 5:14 PM

So who would you guys like to see design this tower? My dream picks are SHoP or Jean Nouvel. With Steinway and 53W53, these architects have proven they understand NYC and are capable of designing modern landmarks that complement and enhance our Art Deco gems. Plus, if Nouvel gets to design a 1300+ ft tower he will have avenged the tragic height cut at 53W53 .

Old Posted Apr 10, 2019, 6:08 PM
NYC/NJ/Miami-Dade

I think Jean Nouvel. I love SHoP, but we need more Nouvel in the city. Verre is an instant landmark, worthy of being classified as one of the greats, right next to the ESB, Chrysler, and the future 9 Dekalb/45 Broad.

Given the proximity to the Chrysler, definitely something that will capture the rich legacy of the area. Modern, but with an old world twist IMO.

Old Posted Apr 10, 2019, 7:17 PM
New Yorker for life

Quote:
Originally Posted by DeSelby View Post
So who would you guys like to see design this tower? My dream picks are SHoP or Jean Nouvel. With Steinway and 53W53, these architects have proven they understand NYC and are capable of designing modern landmarks that complement and enhance our Art Deco gems. Plus, if Nouvel gets to design a 1300+ ft tower he will have avenged the tragic height cut at 53W53 .
I think SHoP has been better with residential towers, where they can work with more creative smaller floorplates. Same with Nouvel. I think the nature of office towers, particularly in Manhattan where you see large floorplates and glassy, open facades take a lot of options off the table. Even moreso when you want to build as-of-right. I'd be surprised if it weren't SOM, KPF, Rodgers, Foster, or one of the other firms you typically see doing the office towers in Manhattan. But whoever it is, I want it to be a tower instantly recognized as a New York landmark.

Old Posted Apr 10, 2019, 7:56 PM
Show me the blueprints

MAD

UNStudio

Coop Himmelblau

OMA

Steven Holl

I'd like to see something by a firm that NY hasn't seen yet or hasn't seen much of. Yes, J. Nouvel is another good one.

There is no goodness in him, and his power to convince people otherwise is beyond understanding

Old Posted Apr 10, 2019, 10:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NYguy View Post
I think SHoP has been better with residential towers, where they can work with more creative smaller floorplates. Same with Nouvel. I think the nature of office towers, particularly in Manhattan where you see large floorplates and glassy, open facades take a lot of options off the table. Even moreso when you want to build as-of-right. I'd be surprised if it weren't SOM, KPF, Rodgers, Foster, or one of the other firms you typically see doing the office towers in Manhattan. But whoever it is, I want it to be a tower instantly recognized as a New York landmark.
Good points. I like Rogers out of the four you mentioned. KPF and SOM do good work but I’m a little sick of them at this point. They’ve already designed several NYC supertalls so I’d like to see someone different get this job.

Old Posted Apr 10, 2019, 10:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Busy Bee View Post
MAD

UNStudio

Coop Himmelblau

OMA

Steven Holl

I'd like to see something by a firm that NY hasn't seen yet or hasn't seen much of. Yes, J. Nouvel is another good one.
Great list! I’d like to add Jeanne Gang and Toyo Ito. I really hope Rem Koolhaas of OMA gets to design a NYC supertall someday. He literally wrote the book on NYC architecture (Delirious New York).

Old Posted Apr 10, 2019, 11:05 PM

Nouvel.

Let him build at the full, proposed height (and then some) of Tour Verre, which, as always bears reminding, Amanda Burden cut 200 feet off of because it was >1,000 feet ... right before 10+ buildings (all of them architecturally inferior to Verre) breached the 1,000-foot mark.

Old Posted Apr 11, 2019, 2:45 AM
New Yorker for life

Quote:
Good points. I like Rogers out of the four you mentioned. KPF and SOM do good work but I’m a little sick of them at this point. They’ve already designed several NYC supertalls so I’d like to see someone different get this job.
I would like to see someone different also. Ultimately though, it will come down to what the developers want. They usually tend to go with the "safer" options. But this site calls for something special, so we'll see.

Old Posted Apr 11, 2019, 10:38 AM

Quote:
Gene Kaufman! 😂

Old Posted Apr 11, 2019, 11:09 AM

Helmut Jahn, duh!

"Helmut Jahn has never suffered a failure of nerve."

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Global Projects & Construction > Proposals