HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Photography Forums > Found City Photos

Old Posted May 1, 2019, 7:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Godzilla View Post
That's a beautiful stretch of dual-gauge double track on Main St. One of the few downtown streets with that setup. Here's an earlier photo looking the opposite direction from the Pacific Electric building:

source

Old Posted May 1, 2019, 7:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ethereal_reality View Post
Here's one more, but this slide is a mystery location. (perhaps we've seen this one...but I don't think so)

"Sea Food Hut - Los Angeles." [1977]

LIBRARY OF CONGRESS ARCHIVE

It certainly doesn't look like a sea food hut to me. I would have guessed ice cream parlor.

We have have the street number. 607...but no street name.

I just found a 2nd photo. Check back folks.

Here it is!

Yep! It's the Sea Food Hut all right.

Perhaps this place was in the Manchester Ave. / Inglewood area as well.

That looks like a re-purposed one of these:

waterandpower

Maybe it's the exact same building? Probably not. Apparently Chapman's had over 20 locations throughout the LA area (not all of them were in the shape of a cone).

Old Posted May 1, 2019, 7:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fnarf View Post
A possible lead is Peter Satori in Pasadena, at 325 West Colorado, which one website calls "the main importer of British cars in Southern California throughout the 1960s and 1970s". Open from 1954 to 198-something.

Here's a picture of the front, from 1960:

Source: westcoastbritish.com

No Rootes on display, but those DKW and Auto Union (predecessor of Audi) logos will set every microcar enthusiast's heart beating faster.

The other link I mentioned is http://oneownercollectorcar.com/inde...unty-dana-chev.
Good Lord! I owned examples of both the vehicles in that picture. A 1962 Land Rover with (not shown here) a power take off winch, which was demonstrated as capable of winching the vehicle up a tree in the movie "The Gods Must Be Crazy" and a 1963 3 Litre sedan. That latter was a beauty, with a (supposedly) Rolls-designed F-head six whose torque peaked at 1750 rpm. It was like driving an electric car. You can see one several times per episode on the "George Gently" series on acorn.tv. I snap a palm-forward UK salute each time one appears :-)

Cheers,

Earl

Last edited by Earl Boebert; May 1, 2019 at 8:24 PM.

Old Posted May 1, 2019, 9:11 PM

Quote:

Here's one more, but this slide is a mystery location. (perhaps we've seen this one...but I don't think so)

"Sea Food Hut - Los Angeles." [1977]

It certainly doesn't look like a sea food hut to me. I would have guessed ice cream parlor.

We have have the street number. 607...but no street name.
Quote:
Originally Posted by badrunner View Post

That looks like a re-purposed one of these:

waterandpower

Maybe it's the exact same building? Probably not. Apparently Chapman's had over 20 locations throughout the LA area (not all of them were in the shape of a cone).
A couple of the CDs from the 1930s list a branch of Chapman's Ice Cream Co at 607 S Vermont Avenue. I can see a circular building on some early aerial photos like this one from 1938, but it appears to be gone by the time of e_r's photo.

Old Posted May 1, 2019, 9:17 PM

Quote:
A possible lead is Peter Satori in Pasadena, at 325 West Colorado, which one website calls "the main importer of British cars in Southern California throughout the 1960s and 1970s". Open from 1954 to 198-something.

Here's a picture of the front, from 1960:

Source: westcoastbritish.com

No Rootes on display, but those DKW and Auto Union (predecessor of Audi) logos will set every microcar enthusiast's heart beating faster.

The other link I mentioned is http://oneownercollectorcar.com/inde...unty-dana-chev.

In case we need a reminder, the location is currently the site of the Rusnak Dealership; still a mecca for the luxury import car fiend.

The campus includes this very cool building to the West. Have we discussed this before?

Old Posted May 1, 2019, 9:26 PM

Quote:

My eyes aren't sharp enough to spot any Rootes vehicles here, but some may have been lurking in the background. I spy a few Isettas and a Lloyd. The stars of the 1958 Los Angeles Imported Car Show were the fancy Mercedes and Jaguars, provided by Peter Satori, as well as the US debut of Datsun. There's a picture of it in the link.

Source: hemmings.com

Link: https://www.hemmings.com/blog/2012/0.../#&gid=1&pid=1
Michael Ryerson showed us the whole photoset from the 1958 Imported Car Show back in post #9216 in 2012 (it never hurts to repeat a good picture). USC has zoomable versions of all the photos here, so maybe you'll be able to spot more cars. I think there's a Citroën DS almost hidden behind another car.

I couldn't find a location, but the 1959 event was held at the Shrine Exposition Hall.

Old Posted May 1, 2019, 10:02 PM

Hillman Minx

Quote:

I dunno, I saw it and coveted it. To be honest, it was the chrome "Minx" in a sexy sixties script on the flank that did it. It was in nearly perfect working order, a San Francisco car with hardly any miles on it. It was a Series III with the rare Easidrive automatic transmission, which improbably worked by applying an electrical charge to iron filings to clump them around the chosen gear, a system which, well, let's just say it didn't catch on. But mine still worked. None of the Rootes nerds in my local club had ever seen one before.

I did learn a lot about the Rootes Group, once one of Britain's biggest motoring concerns, but which in the end was sold to Chrysler for a dollar.

To bring this story back around to Los Angeles, there was in the mid-60s a "Los Angeles Tiger" branch of the company that performed the necessary upgrades, located at 9830 West Pico Boulevard near Beverly Hills. The building most recently was a Chase branch but appears to be empty now. I don't know if it was just Tigers, or if it was a dealer for other Rootes models -- Hillman, Humber, and Sunbeam were all sold in the US, and presumably L.A., though I don't believe Commer or Talbot, while Singer might have been, but not by the 60s.
Motor Trend's "1961 Guide to Cars of the World" has this information on the Hillman Minx and its Easidrive transmission
(Humbers and Sunbeams are also listed as being distributed in the U.S. by Rootes Motors at 9830 W. Pico):

FW photos

Old Posted May 1, 2019, 11:00 PM

Quote:
Stupidity.

I dunno, I saw it and coveted it. To be honest, it was the chrome "Minx" in a sexy sixties script on the flank that did it. It was in nearly perfect working order, a San Francisco car with hardly any miles on it. It was a Series III with the rare Easidrive automatic transmission, which improbably worked by applying an electrical charge to iron filings to clump them around the chosen gear, a system which, well, let's just say it didn't catch on. But mine still worked. None of the Rootes nerds in my local club had ever seen one before.

Shortly after I bought the car virtually every rubber component crumbled into dust, as did most of the braking system and the starter. Not being mechanically inclined, I paid a guy a ton of money to replace it all, but it never really worked right after that, and then the entire wiring system, by Lucas (the "Prince of Darkness", they call him in car and motorcycle circles), so I sold it. It was hilariously fun for the few months I was able to drive it.

This experience is apparently quite typical for owners of 60s and 70s British cars.

I did learn a lot about the Rootes Group, once one of Britain's biggest motoring concerns, but which in the end was sold to Chrysler for a dollar. Their most famous output was the Sunbeam Tiger, which was created by Carroll Shelby by dropping a huge modified Ford V8 into a normally more sedate Sunbeam Alpine, and is still coveted by sporty-car aficionados.

To bring this story back around to Los Angeles, there was in the mid-60s a "Los Angeles Tiger" branch of the company that performed the necessary upgrades, located at 9830 West Pico Boulevard near Beverly Hills. The building most recently was a Chase branch but appears to be empty now. I don't know if it was just Tigers, or if it was a dealer for other Rootes models -- Hillman, Humber, and Sunbeam were all sold in the US, and presumably L.A., though I don't believe Commer or Talbot, while Singer might have been, but not by the 60s.

There's no "Hillman" or "Rootes" car dealer in the one reverse directory I looked at for 1961, but it's much more likely that they were sold in a dealer devoted to a variety of imports, or even in a small corner of a larger American-model dealer with an import sideline. I might have to find an actual newspaper ad for that info. There's a California Association of Tiger Owners in Irvine that might possibly know more.
This is hitting pretty close to home for me. My first car was a 1962 Sunbeam Alpine bought for $900 when I was a high school junior. I drove it for about a year always wanting a Tiger. I didn't have to wait too long and got a chance to get one the following year. I bought it from the original owner who lived a few blocks away. It came with some of the "LAT" options mentioned including the four-barrel setup shown in the ad.

It was a lot of fun and very fast. I learned a lesson when I almost flipped it while racing around the now fenced off streets of the Surfridge area west of LAX. I easily could have killed myself and my friend riding with me. I was much more careful after that.

One issue was the large engine in a small engine compartment easily overheated, especially when stuck in traffic. This happened to me many times driving to Dodger Stadium or the Coliseum. It wasn't the most practical car but I used it as my everyday driver for over ten years and retired it then. It needed a lot of attention so it was for the best.
Getting married and having kids meant it sat in various garages as we moved several times.

I was tempted to get rid of it several times but never really came close and I am happy to say I still have it. Not too long ago, it had moved way up the list of priorities and I awakened it from its long nap and got it running again. That was just the first step and I am currently just starting a full restoration. Moving slowly but I will get there.

I have a faint recollection that the original owner told me it was bought new at Larry Reed Sports Cars in Torrance. One of my quests is to find one of their original license plate frames for it. They are out there but hard to find.

Old Posted May 2, 2019, 1:14 AM

Quote:
Here's an interesting looking place we haven't seen on nla.

"Tom's Cafe - 2181 Manchester Ave. - Los Angeles."

LIBRARY OF CONGRESS ARCHIVES

If I'm not mistaken, the zig zags and the words Tom's Cafe are in neon! ....It must have been quite a looker at night.

The newer / more modern Tom's Cafe sign is pretty cool too.

A closer look.

It looks like they had to paint out some graffiti.

(I believe the slide was taken in the 1970s) ....Is that too early for gang graffiti?

p.s. I just found out the slide was taken in 1977

https://goo.gl/maps/hAw8yqHdwFMTDnXk7

Still there but a little shabbier

Old Posted May 2, 2019, 4:03 PM

Wow. I thought it was long gone.

Thanks UphillDonkey

I wonder if the people living there know that their home used to be an old honky-tonk.

And the Sea Food Hut is a truncated ice cream cone! Kudos badrunner.

You two made my day.

You too Fnarf ...Thanks for answering my question.

I decided to include this view of old Tom's Cafe.

Hey, it's on its own island!

I wonder if the building was originally the office for the junk yard.

Last edited by ethereal_reality; May 2, 2019 at 4:51 PM.

Old Posted May 2, 2019, 9:39 PM

I just saw this on Ebay

mystery location.

"1940 Los Angeles CA construction Bock Company truck."

Ebay

I'm intrigued by the international style building on the left. (the one with all the open windows)

Does anyone know where, in Los Angeles, this photograph was taken?

Old Posted May 2, 2019, 9:42 PM

Quote:

Wow. I thought it was long gone.

Thanks UphillDonkey

I wonder if the people living there know that their home used to be an old honky-tonk.
I decided to include this view of old Tom's Cafe.

Hey, it's on its own island!

I wonder if the building was originally the office for the junk yard.
Who would want to eat in (or next to) a smelly junkyard? Tom's place was set up to fail.

Question for all: what is the most "noirish" restaurant in L.A. today, one that oozes the pre-1960s? Musso & Frank? Formosa Grill? Barney's Beanery? The Smokehouse? The Biltmore? Broadway? Randy's Donuts? Maybe one of the "Googie" style diners like Norm's or Bob's Big Boy (Bob Hope loved the one in Burbank near his Toluca Lake manse)? One of the sad old restaurants in Chinatown? Are Los Feliz and Beachwood Canyon (below the Hollywood(land) sign) the most "noirish" districts in L.A.? These places ooze "Double Indemnity" for me. Where in L.A. can you go & feel you've stepped back 70 or 80 or 90 years?

Last edited by CaliNative; May 2, 2019 at 10:08 PM.

Old Posted May 2, 2019, 11:51 PM

Just immediately north of the old Tom's Cafe building, there's some fine aerial mosaic work by Cash For Cars on South Alameda Street.

Google Maps

Old Posted May 2, 2019, 11:59 PM

LAPD 1956 Report Images

First time poster long time viewer! About two years ago I acquired a old LAPD report book from 1956. Here's a few images from the report. I'll upload the rest soon!

Front Cover with Parker Center. (Now slated for Demolition)

View from the air of downtown.

(Right) Patrol Bureau Chief Walton and LAPD Chief of Police William H. Parker (Left)

LAPD officers during training, likely at Elysian Park.

Old Posted May 3, 2019, 12:02 AM

Is anyone aware of the Christian Endeavor Movement? (I wasn't until I happened upon this postcard)

............................................Christian Endeavor Auditorium.......Cor. Pico and Grand Aves.......Los Angeles, Calif.......July 9-14. 1913

Ebay (no longer listed)

Mammoth tent with a seating capacity of 10,000!

Welcome to the thread ryangv! ....Thanks for posting the great photographs.

Old Posted May 3, 2019, 1:47 PM

Christian Endeavor was started as a youth movement in churches in 1881. It was non-denominational and eventually spread all over from its beginnings in Maine. It was organized by Rev. Francis Clark. Every four years they would have conventions. My parents were involved when they were young. My father and uncle led singing, my mother and aunt played pianos. I have pictures of my mother and aunt in the 1930's at the conventions in Downtown Los Angeles, playing two grand pianos on either side of the stage at the Shrine Auditorium. Somewhere at home I think I still have programs from these conventions.

An amazing coincidence is that my father was born on the day that this postcard was postmarked!

Old Posted May 3, 2019, 6:26 PM

Quote:

I just saw this on Ebay

mystery location.

"1940 Los Angeles CA construction Bock Company truck."

Ebay

I'm intrigued by the international style building on the left. (the one with all the open windows)

Does anyone know where, in Los Angeles, this photograph was taken?
Is it my imagination (wishful thinking?) to read the highlighted sign as "Claud Beelman Architect"?

I haven't found the building yet, but if I'm right about the sign, it may narrow our search.

Old Posted May 3, 2019, 7:32 PM

Here's a picture that just came up on reddit:

The post is titled “May Day Celebration, 1925, Los Angeles”. The OP suspects the photo was taken in Hollywood.

Quote:
My dad is the kid in the center with the white tassel on his hat.
Link to the MUCH larger full-sized image.

Anyone able to figure out where the photo was taken?

Old Posted May 3, 2019, 11:13 PM

No, that isn't your imagination, Hoss. It definitely looks like Claud Beelman, Architect.

I had some fun with the photograph.

EBAY

I hadn't noticed all the Xs on the windows. (proving the building is brand new) . . .and designed by Claud Beelman. (thanks Hoss!)

What are the men doing?

If they weren't smack-dab in an urban area...I'd say they're drilling a well.

Old Posted May 3, 2019, 11:28 PM

OK folks, I have another question.

Where was Movietown Plaza? [c.1968]

Ebay

When I first saw The Boys Market sign I immediately thought of the Ralph's on the northwest corner of Santa Monica and Robertson Blvds. in WeHo (where I used to do my grocery shopping)*

*On one of my late night shopping excursions; the only person shopping, besides me, was an elderly lady dressed (head to tow) in black with a thin black veil covering her face.
I glanced down at her shopping cart & all she had in it was condoms and Oreos.

ONE OF MY "WE'RE NOT IN KANSAS ANYMORE" MOMENTS.

Last edited by ethereal_reality; May 4, 2019 at 12:18 AM.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Photography Forums > Found City Photos