HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Photography Forums > My City Photos

Old Posted Apr 12, 2008, 2:03 PM

Still better than our American eyesores

I second the point that this is still better than the suburbs in the U.S. Canada plans cities, (as well as many other things) better than the U.S. which really has no planning at all. It seems like there's more professionalism in Canada (in urban issues and in general) whereas here we rely on the haphazardness of the market as well as business and finance people, most of whom have no sense of macroeconomics nor macro-social issues.

Old Posted Apr 12, 2008, 2:13 PM
BANNED

cars killed urban areas.

Old Posted Apr 12, 2008, 2:28 PM
Reach for the Clouds

All built around the car...which very shortly will come to an end. A sobering thought for a Saturday morning.
Good post flar. BTW isn't that foggy parking lot scene down on Hamilton's docks?

Old Posted Apr 12, 2008, 2:33 PM
Closed account

The shots in front of the escarpment are particularly depressing. Reminds me of the time I was driving out to Copetown along Governor's Rd. past all the subdivisions, when my 4 year old suddenly piped up "the city is eating the country!"

Old Posted Apr 12, 2008, 2:41 PM
Becoming Chicago-fied!

Those photos show suburbs that I could almost live with. Decent architecture on the homes, fairly good construction materials, etc... etc... Not my preference of course, but not terrible...

Aaron (Glowrock)

Old Posted Apr 12, 2008, 2:49 PM
¥ ¥ ¥

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tosspot View Post
Still not as ugly as American suburbs.
I find Canadian suburbs to be much uglier than US ones, personally. Same shit, but closer together (often semi-detached or townhouses, even condos) with more undustrial buildings and less greenery.

At least in suburbs like those of New York or Boston, you can get a large secluded house surrounded by trees, providing an almost rural experience, which I can understand the appeal to for some. In ours, they basically take an urban area, mess up the streets, make the houses ugly, and add some power centres. It may be the more responsible form, but ultimately is the less pleasant.

I do prefer some of the newer developments in Toronto though that are very closely packed and close to the [gridded] street with laneways behind them though.

Old Posted Apr 12, 2008, 2:49 PM
Closed account

craptacular.

Old Posted Apr 12, 2008, 2:57 PM

Great pics, flar! As an ex-905'er I can relate! (allthough as an urban planner, well can't say I like the stuff), but at least some of the design motifs like the gingerbread are kept. The house with the Porsche in front of it is hideous!

Old Posted Apr 12, 2008, 3:34 PM

Nice houses.

Old Posted Apr 12, 2008, 6:44 PM
Briareos Hecatonchires

Quote:
Originally Posted by dktshb View Post
Bizarre! The neiborhoods are nice but it would be more interesting (if only for aesthetics) if all the parking was subterranean and the commercial buildings came to the curb. Of course I know this could be anywhere Canada or USA, which is another reason why suburban as a development plan is adverse.
More like anywhere except Western Canada. One thing you'll notice about newer housing in BC, Alberta, Saskatchewan and Manitoba is that you won't see anywhere near as much brick. Brick is a lot more expensive here, that's why. The vast majority of homes built in Western Canada within the last 25 years have vinyl or wood exteriors.

But suburbia out west is just as hideous.

Old Posted Apr 12, 2008, 6:58 PM
♒︎ Empirically Canadian

SuPurbia.
As suburbs go, it's very nice.
Love your shots.

Old Posted Apr 12, 2008, 7:07 PM
Philadelphia

I can't believe all of the new construction that's still going on there. Fiddling while Rome burns.

Taking interesting pictures of suburban architecture is not at all easy. Nice job.
They could all be anywhere in North Jersey west of the Parkway.

Old Posted Apr 12, 2008, 7:10 PM

FYI: These shots were taken from several developments in the Hamilton suburbs of Dundas, Ancaster, Stoney Creek and Binbrook. I got enough pics without going to Grimsby, Burlington and Waterdown. The US housing market may have crashed, but I haven't seen this much construction in Hamilton in the time I've lived here. Right now there is literally no spot on the outskirts of Hamilton's urban area without new home construction, and there are at least five large big box power centres under construction. Downtown continues to struggle

Quote:
Originally Posted by boden View Post
BTW isn't that foggy parking lot scene down on Hamilton's docks?
It's at the Ancaster Meadowlands.

Old Posted Apr 12, 2008, 8:13 PM
It's Hammer Time

Nice job flar!

I hate to say it but I wouldn't mind living in a house like this....

It's got quality and detail instead of typical bland vinyl crap, at least there's good quality housing development happening in Hamilton's suburbs. I say the worst housing development in Hamilton is the Ancaster Meadowland McMansions.

Most of these houses are being built from Losani Homes right?

Old Posted Apr 12, 2008, 11:36 PM
Eurosceptic

Quote:
Originally Posted by SteelTown View Post
Nice job flar!

I hate to say it but I wouldn't mind living in a house like this....

It's got quality and detail instead of typical bland vinyl crap, at least there's good quality housing development happening in Hamilton's suburbs. I say the worst housing development in Hamilton is the Ancaster Meadowland McMansions.

Most of these houses are being built from Losani Homes right?
the garage is the best part... such easy access

Old Posted Apr 12, 2008, 11:58 PM

I had no idea this was Canada--looks just like the Dallas suburbs!

Old Posted Apr 13, 2008, 12:10 AM

Regardless of the build quality or design, the real problem with the types of developments pictured is obvious: each of these subdivisions is a self contained tangle of winding roads and cul de sacs with only one or two exits onto major roads. Several of the developments pictured here are worse than that; the only way out is onto an expressway. That means that you cannot even go to a convenience store without driving on an expressway. Even more regrettable, children have to be bussed to school via an expressway. Regardless of one's political beliefs, there is something objectively wrong with that.

Old Posted Apr 13, 2008, 12:41 AM
Closed account

This looks better than most American suburbs (at least in density and aesthetics, if not mixed use), the ones outside of the majority of central cities in the United States.

Old Posted Apr 13, 2008, 1:38 AM
Registirred User

I find this house in particular to look really cute (minus the driveway and hidden garage). I can't say I would live in it though..

Old Posted Apr 13, 2008, 1:58 AM

Interesting, the houses in the two pictures quoted here are from the same development, "The Cascades". This development carved out a shelf about halfway up the Niagara Escarpment and its 126 houses overlook Dundas. It's about a 10-15 minute walk to downtown Dundas. All the houses there have a couple Victorian features tacked on.

edit:
I think the settings in some of these pictures are part of the reason that some of you find these nicer than many typical suburbs.

Last edited by flar; Apr 13, 2008 at 2:09 AM.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Photography Forums > My City Photos