HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Discussion Forums > Buildings & Architecture

Old Posted Nov 7, 2006, 3:19 PM
let's work together

Quote:
Originally Posted by Patrick
"I wish I will work in the World Trade Center and live in New York".

I felt almost the same and it was one of my biggest goals for me to see the twin towers at least once in my life.
After 9/11 I was completely disillusioned about that matter. There will never
be anything like them.
It's not about height, its not about design, it's just the one WTC that will never ever be back again.

I don't care what others say, to me the WTC was blessed by some special kind of architectural beauty, a masterpiece of clearly defined forms and bright facades.
And of course the fact of standing in front of a 417m straight up steel tower, which surely was a view and feeling that created a "what-the-f*ck?-feeling" to the visitor...

Hope to see the Freedom Tower some day...

Old Posted Nov 8, 2006, 3:02 AM
Desert Dweller

^ I agree completly, except I dont care much for the New World Trade Center, I want to see the Original WTC, at least they died before the world went compltetly to hell.

Old Posted Nov 8, 2006, 5:44 AM
Twin Towers Guy / NYC

the only buildings in the world to have no setbacks 110 floors straight up , not like sears towers, 225 feet on bottom , setting back to 75x150 on top, true one of a kind and two of them , petronas would have been to about the 90th floor of old #1 and # 2 too bad we will never have that again...............

Old Posted Nov 8, 2006, 5:48 AM
Twin Towers Guy / NYC

[QUOTE=2-TOWERS]the only buildings in the world to have no setbacks 110 floors straight up , not like sears towers, 225 feet on bottom , setting back to 75x150 on top, true one of a kind and two of them , petronas would have been to about the 90th floor of old #1 and # 2 too bad we will never have that again.......

Old Posted Nov 8, 2006, 6:02 AM
Desert Dweller

^Wow I never noticed that, the one and only no setback-supertalls

Old Posted Nov 14, 2006, 7:03 PM

Does anyone have pics of the twins from the 59 st bridge?

Old Posted Nov 22, 2006, 11:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by STR
Looking north to the eastern Vessey St. Entrance to 5WTC. The elevator lobby is on the left sie of the corridor.

Looking west at the escalators to 5WTC plaza level.

Looking east in 5WTC from plaza level down to the concourse from the top of the escalators seen in the last shot.
STR, thank you so much for finding and posting these. These locations have been stuck in my head for 5 years; the stairs from Vesey, and the escalator down from 5 WTC. It's amazing anyone even thought to take a picture of an escalator. And it means so much to me now. Wow.

Old Posted Dec 1, 2006, 4:48 PM

I actually think the escalator in the last couple of pics are from the southeastern corner of 4WTC, and the photo is looking north towards 5WTC.

Why? Because if this was the escalator in 5WTC, it would have had the windows on the left side, and image mirroring can be ruled out as we can read the mall posters.

Old Posted Dec 1, 2006, 6:52 PM
Because I'm Clever!

Nope. All 3 of those pics are from 5 WTC. There were 3 sets of escalators in Building 5. One in the western half of the building, shown above, and two on the east side.

There were two escalators sets in 4WTC. One was in the middle of the building, so no windows. The, in the SE corner of the building, didn't face any other WTC building and had a large staircase along the side, not just the narrow one shown above.

Old Posted Dec 3, 2006, 2:24 AM

Right! I think I see it now.... This escalator would be in 5WTC right behind the sphere in this photo right?http://www.biologie.uni-hamburg.de/b...94/2994_11.jpg

Old Posted Dec 3, 2006, 6:36 AM
Twin Towers Guy / NYC

WOW GREAT PICS ,STILL CANT BELIEVE ALL THAT IS GONE , AND LIKE MY BOY DQUAN SAYS ,ALL GONE BY 10 MADMAN

Old Posted Dec 6, 2006, 7:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Daquan13
Don't feel bad. I never got the chance to visit the towers either.

I'm soooooooo thankful that I did! The new one will be even better. Just wait and see.

Old Posted Dec 6, 2006, 10:09 PM
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by Patrick
^Wow I never noticed that, the one and only no setback-supertalls
Not true, Aon Center in Chicago is a supertall and has no setbacks, it actually looks erriely like WTC 1+2, but white. However, Aon is about 230 feet shorter than they were, so they were the tallest no setback buildings ever.

Anyhow, I really like this thread, I've looked through the whole thing. Its really surreal to realize that all of that was destroyed and its really interesting the number of random pictures a landmark like WTC generates over its lifetime.

Old Posted Dec 31, 2006, 7:41 AM

Circa mid/late-1970's (anywhere from 1974-1981).

I've always been curious what made the sky lobbies' metal stand out and glow from the rest of the structure. From closer-up images and looking over the years, I'm guessing it's because they: 1. used a darker shade of metal; 2. made the lobbies' facade columns thicker in width; and, 3. made the facade columns protrude further from the structure, creating the "negative" effect in sunlight interaction.

http://www.starcitymall.com/webcam/wtc/

Last edited by mrjoanofarc; Dec 31, 2006 at 8:00 AM.

Old Posted Dec 31, 2006, 10:07 AM
BANNED

WOTW and the obs deck opened around '75, I think.

A former coworker told me that he once visited the obs deck sometime in '77.

Last edited by Daquan13; Dec 31, 2006 at 11:00 AM.

Old Posted Jan 1, 2007, 1:26 AM
Twin Towers Guy / NYC

the metal ,steel columns going up sort of curved out very slightly where the sky lobbies were,it still makes me sick , how we lost those buildings, look at the shot of the observertory on the 107 th floor, no other building had such an awsum inside and outside deck, that used the whole floor plate..

Old Posted Jan 1, 2007, 1:45 AM
furified freestyle

i have no idea how this is the first time i've viewed this thread, but it is. a couple things:

1. those windows on the world pictures are fantastic. their photographer should be proud for documenting that. the ones of the bar, especially these, brought back great memories.

2. that picture of the lobby from the 70s is DOPE.

3. STR, did you do this? it is far and away the best rendering i've seen of the new WTC. i personally don't like any of it -- i think it's too sterile, the designs (except foster's) are horrible and it really brings down the skyline -- but that particular job is professional and really attractive.

Old Posted Jan 1, 2007, 4:16 PM

nice pictures i wish the twin towers were still here.

Last edited by drew11; Jan 1, 2007 at 4:24 PM.

Old Posted Jan 7, 2007, 9:08 PM
Because I'm Clever!

Quote:
Originally Posted by giovanni sasso View Post
3. STR, did you do this? it is far and away the best rendering i've seen of the new WTC. i personally don't like any of it -- i think it's too sterile, the designs (except foster's) are horrible and it really brings down the skyline -- but that particular job is professional and really attractive. [/color]
Thanks.

It has an entire thread
http://forum.skyscraperpage.com/showthread.php?t=114618

Old Posted Feb 1, 2007, 2:50 AM

There's just something about the Twin Towers. Don't get me wrong, the new World Trade Center isn't bad, but there's nothing that can replace the Twins, at least not in my eyes. I just regret that I was never able to see them in person. They may not have been the most astounding buildings architecture wise, but they will always have a place in my heart as my favorite buildings.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Discussion Forums > Buildings & Architecture