HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Photography Forums > Found City Photos

Old Posted Mar 25, 2012, 1:34 AM

Botwin's was located at 1911 Sunset Boulevard in Echo Park. If you look closely, the artist even included Glendale Boulevard
(there is a bridge over Glendale Blvd. at this point on Sunset).

http://www.flickr.com/photos/79761301@N00/

I can't quite figure out the people.
Are they on break from the 'Babes in Toyland' set or is some mobster going to throw them into the Los Angeles River?

Here is a marvelous matchbook.....very streamline moderne at this point.

found on ebay

I've heard rumors that the Botwin building is still there under the guise of TAIX french restaurant...but I wasn't sold on the idea.
The dimensions were too far off in my opinion.

below: TAIX at 1911 Sunset Boulevard.

google street view

below: That is...until I came across this later illustration.

http://www.flickr.com/photos/79761301@N00/

FINALLY the building has the same dimensions as TAIX.....but the give away is that strange 'wall' to the right of Botwin's.

It's still there!

google street view

I am now in agreement.....TAIX is in the old Botwin's!

_____

We've covered the original TAIX restaurant several times on this thread. It originated in the 1920s at the Champ d'Or Hotel in Los Angeles' french quarter.

A wonderful noir photo (seen before on this thread) when TAIX was located near downtown L.A
.....look closely and you can see the sign.

For other images of the old TAIX you can click on the following link.
http://forum.skyscraperpage.com/show...postcount=5079

____

Last edited by ethereal_reality; Mar 25, 2012 at 5:49 AM.

Old Posted Mar 25, 2012, 1:48 AM
I Like Turtles!

Another Illegal Alien in LA

Quote:
Originally Posted by rick m View Post
Let us not overlook the utterly remarkable setting for ROBOT MONSTER FROM THE MOON ---GEO.NADER is the beefcake hero !
OMG. I have Robot Monster on video....in 3D no less! An extraterrestrial gorilla with a bubble machine! Can anything be better????

http://desukomoviespot.com/2011/02/0.../robotmonster/

Old Posted Mar 25, 2012, 3:10 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ethereal_reality View Post
I know we have a plethora of Bunker Hill photographs on this thread, but this could possibly be a new one.

The photo is dated October 1960 and is from the Library of Congress. The location they give is vague...
just a listings of various streets located in the Bunker Hill area.

I left the photo LARGE to better see the details. Remember to pan right---->

http://www.loc.gov/pictures/item/ca0214.photos.012012p/

Unless you recognize these mid-size homes, you might have to rely on the large commercial buildings at far right for clues. The tallest is quite odd looking with it's small windows...it almost looks industrial. Also notice the odd water tanks the likes of which I have never seen before (that type anyway)...and of course the corner of the bldg with the ornamental details.

Some of you might be surprised I don't recognize these homes, but my memory....well.....how do I say it?...sucks!
These Tudoresque apts were slightly below the Ems Apts -but across the lane @ 324 thru 336 So.Olive- I got to walk past them when I was on a 1962schooltrip (in 4th grade) to see the kiddie XMAS show @ the old Philharmonic- sparking a thought they kinda resembled my granpa's - an engraved B.Hill memory of my own-Our bus parked across frm Angel's Flight in a lot next to the Casa Alta apt bldng--Image frm Architectural Survey by Boucher--

Old Posted Mar 25, 2012, 3:15 AM

Pretty certain old Pierre built this block--- Larronde Bldng near First St

Old Posted Mar 25, 2012, 5:42 PM

Bronson Canyon (especially the tunnel/cave) has appeared in so many movies and TV shows, it should have its own star on Hollywood Blvd. Here's a couple of frame grabs from two more 1950s sci-fi movies:

It Conquered The World

[source: RCA Columbia Home Video]

Invasion of the Body Snatchers

[source: Republic Pictures dvd]

KTLA used to air Invasion of the Body Snatchers fairly frequently, and for a period of time in the 1970s every time it aired some local prankster would sneak around Echo Park Lake late at night leaving home-made alien seed pods. Anyone else remember that?

Old Posted Mar 25, 2012, 7:10 PM

I love BRONSON CANYON. Remember THE SEARCHERS with John Wayne? Or that stinker INVISIBLE INVADERS? Both filmed there as were countless other movies and TV Shows. Check this for a partial list. There are hundreds more.

http://imdb.to/GMiR6W

Old Posted Mar 25, 2012, 9:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Handsome Stranger View Post
Bronson Canyon (especially the tunnel/cave) has appeared in so many movies and TV shows, it should have its own star on Hollywood Blvd. Here's a couple of frame grabs from two more 1950s sci-fi movies:

It Conquered The World

[source: RCA Columbia Home Video]

Invasion of the Body Snatchers

[source: Republic Pictures dvd]

KTLA used to air Invasion of the Body Snatchers fairly frequently, and for a period of time in the 1970s every time it aired some local prankster would sneak around Echo Park Lake late at night leaving home-made alien seed pods. Anyone else remember that?
"It Conquered The World" led to one of the apocryphal "Corman's Laws." The first version of the monster was supposedly half the size of the final one. Star Beverly Garland (who later owned and ran Beverly Garland's Holiday Inn at 4222 Vineland Avenue) went up to it in an early scene and kicked it over. At which point Roger Corman supposedly coined the Law: "The monster has to be bigger than the leading lady."

Cheers,

Earl

Old Posted Mar 26, 2012, 12:43 AM

Pan right >>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>

Three Hollywood panoramas...

(We may have seen these before, but I couldn't find them by searching "Hollywood panorama" or "panorama"...)

All from the Library of Congress.

The first picture is captioned "Hollywood - Los Angeles, N. from Carleton Way and Van Ness Sts--1929" I couldn't find any such intersection, and it looks earlier than 1929 to me.

The second picture is captioned "Hollywood from heart of Orange, Ca." Huh? It is also dated 1929--also looks earlier than that to me.

The third is captioned "City of Hollywood, Los Angeles, Calif--1912"

Old Posted Mar 26, 2012, 2:10 AM

Gorgeous panoramas of Hollywood, GW! I've only seen the third one previously. In fact I've got a beautiful print of it framed and hanging in my apartment.

I wonder if the "Hollywood from heart of Orange" image was taken from the northernmost point of Orange Drive? That's definitely Orange Dr. zigzagging just left of center. And I think you're right about it being earlier than 1929.

Carlton Way and Van Ness probably did intersect before the Hollywood Freeway was built. (Search your favorite online map for 1596 North Van Ness Avenue to see how close those two streets come to one another.)

Old Posted Mar 26, 2012, 2:33 AM

When I lived on Harold Way (at Canyon Dr., south of Carlton, west of 101) my landlord lady, who lived in the very same building since late forties, told me that this building http://tinyurl.com/8acxtfw was originally standing where 101 was to be build. The building was moved to the current location. I know that large wooden structures can be moved, but a large multi-story building like this? I guess a man can do anything.

Old Posted Mar 26, 2012, 3:21 AM
You can call me David

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wenders View Post
When I lived on Harold Way (at Canyon Dr., south of Carlton, west of 101) my landlord lady, who lived in the very same building since late forties, told me that this building http://tinyurl.com/8acxtfw was originally standing where 101 was to be build. The building was moved to the current location. I know that large wooden structures can be moved, but a large multi-story building like this? I guess a man can do anything.
In the older days of L.A. moving buildings was fairly common. I think that back then, construction costs (and thus the value of the structures themselves) were relatively higher compared the land itself and so it was worth moving rather than demolishing one, if it was in the way of something. Here's a photo we've seen here before. This large building was being moved when it got stuck at Cahuenga and Whitley Terrace.

http://photos.lapl.org/

Last edited by 3940dxer; Mar 26, 2012 at 5:40 AM.

Old Posted Mar 26, 2012, 3:23 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Handsome Stranger View Post
Carlton Way and Van Ness probably did intersect before the Hollywood Freeway was built. (Search your favorite online map for 1596 North Van Ness Avenue to see how close those two streets come to one another.)
Of course--that makes sense. From a 1921 Baist insurance map:

historicmapworks.com

Old Posted Mar 26, 2012, 3:44 AM

you-are-here.com

It looked to me like the Stimson house made a brief appearance tonight early in the premiere of Mad Men's season 5,
as the home of Betty and her new husband (whose name I forget). Don dropped his three kids off in front of it...

Old Posted Mar 26, 2012, 6:19 AM

I found an interesting piece of stock footage over on the internet archive website. It is 11 minutes of color film shot at night in 1946 while driving around downtown. I don't know how to post the clip here. but here is the link:
http://archive.org/details/PET0981_R-2_LA_color . I found it fascinating on so many levels. We can see the theaters on Broadway, Cliftons, cops directing traffic, newsboys on the corners, and man those cars! Also interesting to note, we see many of those traffic lights with stop signs attached that were discussed a few posts back. I suggest right clicking on the video and choose to slow the speed to half or even quater, but as I say it's 11 min. long at full speed.

Old Posted Mar 26, 2012, 6:31 AM

Spectacular panoramas, GW.....And yes, I'm sure you're right on the dates.

If nothing else, consider that the Hollywood Roosevelt went up in '27. "Downtown" Hollywood was already getting pretty built up by then......and I doubt if there were any stray orange groves by that time.

Those are from the 'teens, for sure.

Either way..........those look like Willoughby to me (A Twilight Zone reference...somehow I think a lot or readers here already know that!)

Quote:
Originally Posted by GaylordWilshire View Post

Three Hollywood panoramas...

(We may have seen these before, but I couldn't find them by searching "Hollywood panorama" or "panorama"...)

All from the Library of Congress.

The first picture is captioned "Hollywood - Los Angeles, N. from Carleton Way and Van Ness Sts--1929" I couldn't find any such intersection, and it looks earlier than 1929 to me.

The second picture is captioned "Hollywood from heart of Orange, Ca." Huh? It is also dated 1929--also looks earlier than that to me.

The third is captioned "City of Hollywood, Los Angeles, Calif--1912"

Old Posted Mar 26, 2012, 12:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mayor Shaw View Post
I found an interesting piece of stock footage over on the internet archive website. It is 11 minutes of color film shot at night in 1946 while driving around downtown. I don't know how to post the clip here. but here is the link:
http://archive.org/details/PET0981_R-2_LA_color . I found it fascinating on so many levels. We can see the theaters on Broadway, Cliftons, cops directing traffic, newsboys on the corners, and man those cars! Also interesting to note, we see many of those traffic lights with stop signs attached that were discussed a few posts back. I suggest right clicking on the video and choose to slow the speed to half or even quater, but as I say it's 11 min. long at full speed.

Fascinating, Frank--it appears to be 5-angle color process footage for Columbia's Down to Earth with none other than Rita Hayworth--
apparently her first big picture after Gilda and meant to capitalize on it. I guess the appearance of the RKO marquee advertising Gilda
was meant to be an inside joke. I was surprised to see so many 5-globe streetlamps still in place, along 8th Street. There are alot of
old favorites, including the Golden Gopher....

Screenshots via: Library of Congress

Last edited by GaylordWilshire; Mar 26, 2012 at 6:04 PM.

Old Posted Mar 26, 2012, 4:36 PM

Great 35mm footage from Columbia. Must have been a heck of a strong light they were shining from their camera car to get any kind of an image like that in 35mm..

Old Posted Mar 26, 2012, 4:57 PM

Monrovia

Library of Congress/GoogleSV

Usually, I like to stick to Los Angeles and maybe Pasadena...but today I'm motoring out to Monrovia...only because I like this classic SoCal house. The only notation on the Library of Congress photo was "Mosher house, Monrovia, Cal."... A little bit of poking around for Monrovia Moshers of the period turned up Merle and Margaret Mosher at 439 N. Myrtle Avenue. Best of all, it still stands, sans the awnings and curious exterior curtains (don't think I've never see those before). Merle was a partner in Mosher & Heth Dodge in Monrovia.

Old Posted Mar 26, 2012, 5:13 PM

There's a harbor in LA?

A view of San Pedro Harbor by Detroit Publishing Co. taken sometime between 1880 and 1899. Two images from the Library of Congress stitched together with the freeware Microsoft Image Composite Editor.

Last edited by Engineeral; Aug 13, 2019 at 5:53 PM. Reason: Fixed a broken photo link, removed link to BIG version

Old Posted Mar 26, 2012, 5:47 PM

Ye Cool and Shady Alpine Tavern - Mount Lowe

An image from the Library of Congress image bank.

on Mount Lowe Railway line, Mount Lowe, Calif. Another one from Detroit Publishing Co., date estimated 1900-1910.

Compare with another picture of the tavern (on Noirish Los Angeles) from another angle - same day?

Last edited by Engineeral; Aug 13, 2019 at 5:41 PM. Reason: Fix broken links again

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Photography Forums > Found City Photos