HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Photography Forums > My City Photos

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next

Old Posted Dec 10, 2008, 3:29 AM

Post One of Canada's finest Victorian neighbourhoods (Durand Part I)

HAMILTON NEIGHBOURHOODS:
CorktownDurandCentralDundasLocke St. SouthBurlingtonStinsonWestdaleSt. ClairKeithLandsdale
The DeltaGibsonJamesvilleConcession StreetDurand NorthDurand SouthOld Dundas HousesHess VillageBarton Street
AncasterNorth KirkendallSouth KirkendallMcMaster UniversityDowntownThe BayfrontThe North EndKenilworth
Mountain BrowTextile DistrictStrathconaNorth StipleyFlamboroughBeasleyChedokeStoney CreekThe Beach Strip

HAMILTON FEATURES:
C I T Y _ L I G H T SStone HamiltonTwilight of the Industrial AgeTwilight of the Industrial Age II
Stone in Dundas and AncasterGoodbye, Hamilton (from 43 floors up)Dirty BrickDay for Night
This broken down old city still manages to wake up every morning...Everywhere, Ontario< R - E - T - R - O >
HAMILTON | Scenes from the cutting room floorS U B U R B I A !Everywhere, OntarioHamilton Rowhouses
< H E A V Y <> I N D U S T R Y > Old Man Winter vs. Hamilton

Durand
Part I
(north of Herkimer)

Hamilton, Ontario

Durand is one of the finest and most interesting Victorian neighbourhoods in Canada. Back in 2006, in one of my very first neighbourhood tours,
I showed some of Durand's many mansions. In that tour I focused only on the mansions, but I thought it was time for a proper tour, one that
shows what it's like to walk the streets of Durand. This tour shows a greater variety of architecture in the northern half of Durand, which is
a mixture of apartments and houses. Most of the mansions are in the southern half of Durand close to the escarpment--I will do a proper
tour of the southern half another time.

The Victorian architecture in the north section of Durand has been devastated by modern apartment and condominium complexes. The need
for higher density residential areas is part of the evolution of any growing city. Sadly, that need was satisfied by destroying blocks and blocks
of houses, some of which included unique stone rowhouses from the 1850s and large mansions from the later Victorian period. Still, there
remains a great stock of interesting architecture built from the 1850s onward in a variety of styles. Unlike many Hamilton neighbourhoods,
there is very little uniformity here.

Link to Part II: http://forum.skyscraperpage.com/showthread.php?t=162269

Look:

Last edited by flar; May 16, 2009 at 12:53 AM.

End

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Photography Forums > My City Photos