HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Atlantic Provinces > Halifax > Halifax Peninsula & Downtown Dartmouth

Old Posted Apr 24, 2022, 6:51 PM

Mysterious. This one is being built of equal parts concrete and intrigue.

Old Posted Apr 25, 2022, 11:45 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by terrynorthend View Post
I was driving in bound on Herring Cove Road (something I do quite infrequently) Friday evening and was impressed with the emerging cityscape from this angle. The 22 from Mumford looks really interesting here, and this development will be stunning if it pans out!
I went for a little drive yesterday and it surprises me every time how far away and from how many places West 22 can be seen. The 102 @ Dunbrack, Joseph Howe, Windsor St, etc. The largest tower at Richmond Yards will almost certainly be visible from even farther too!

Old Posted May 13, 2022, 7:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wannabe Economist View Post
https://ibb.co/nBWLwpT

"Quinpool Tower" rendering as seen framed in Mr. Fares' office.

Delete if not allowed
Form work has been removed on the lower floors above the podium. When I drove by yesterday only one floor was fully removed, with the second underway. The floor plate has some rounded corners like the drawing above, however, only as more floors are poured and form work removed will we be able to tell if the shape changes each floor as the rendering shows.

Old Posted May 16, 2022, 2:57 PM

Very excited for this development. Looks like it is staying true to the rendering shown here with a mix of sharp and rounded corners. The indents appear to be offset on the first couple floors so far same as the rendering

Old Posted May 16, 2022, 3:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wannabe Economist View Post

Very excited for this development. Looks like it is staying true to the rendering shown here with a mix of sharp and rounded corners. The indents appear to be offset on the first couple floors so far same as the rendering
I was trying to gauge that offset the other day driving by, but couldn't tell as not all the formwork was removed. You're right, looking at the offset to columns, there is a subtle difference.

I always thought these "as-of-right" sites offered the opportunity for the developer to splurge on design a bit as there is far less grounds for roadblocks in approval.

Old Posted May 17, 2022, 3:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kph06 View Post
I was trying to gauge that offset the other day driving by, but couldn't tell as not all the formwork was removed. You're right, looking at the offset to columns, there is a subtle difference.

I always thought these "as-of-right" sites offered the opportunity for the developer to splurge on design a bit as there is far less grounds for roadblocks in approval.
Agreed for sure. This is shaping up to be a very nice looking building. I'm sure the rents will be some of the highest in the city with only 77 units across 32 floors. The views will be amazing and a rooftop pool is pretty cool. The neighbouring building appears to be owned by the same group that owns the Promenade site, so perhaps once Promenade is finished in 5-10 years we will see that site developed as well.

Old Posted May 17, 2022, 4:49 PM
hähnchenbrüstfiletstüc

There is the old story that Fenwick was supposed to be a higher end building but was scaled back. Maybe it would have been ugly no matter what since that was the normal style at the time. Buildings like Fenwick and the Maritime Centre were used as examples of why highrise construction is unappealing and should be kept to a minimum. It's possible something like this will change the reputation of tall buildings in the city if it turns out to be attractive.

It also looks like it will be the least stubby building in the city. Maybe people will question whether it is actually a good thing to encourage squat boxes instead of giving developers more flexibility.

Old Posted Jun 13, 2022, 8:06 PM

A concrete placing arm was being delivered here at lunch. That will make concrete pours more efficient. Especially at the higher leveled.

Old Posted Jun 29, 2022, 3:08 PM

Old Posted Jun 30, 2022, 2:06 AM

A friend of mine tried out his new drone (following all Nav Canada rules and regs), and sent me these photos. This provides some more details.
  • As the "wave" moves across the floorplate, the left, square floorplate looks to become round. Second photo shows this best.
  • How they finish the edge will really make the effect. An all glass curtain wall would do it the best, but I suspect the curve will be all balcony.
  • There is a pool on top of the podium.

Old Posted Aug 15, 2022, 5:52 PM

working on 13th floor

Old Posted Aug 15, 2022, 7:01 PM
hähnchenbrüstfiletstüc

Thanks for the photos. Looks like this will be another member of the exclusive "non-stubby highrises of Halifax" club. They will need to raise the crane soon. I wonder if it'll go to the full height or if it will be raised in multiple stages?

Old Posted Aug 15, 2022, 7:29 PM

I suspect the crane will go in stages. I see the window wall is starting and the cutout appears to be returning on the top most floor. The same rendering as posted above is now on the WM Fares Architects main page.

Old Posted Aug 16, 2022, 10:04 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by someone123 View Post
Thanks for the photos. Looks like this will be another member of the exclusive "non-stubby highrises of Halifax" club. They will need to raise the crane soon. I wonder if it'll go to the full height or if it will be raised in multiple stages?
Not sure if this one is going to be visible in the skyline or not (I'd put my money on "no")...but it's nice to finally see some buildings like this. In my opinion we need to move away from projects with the massing of The Mills, both of the Sister Sites buildings, Press Block, etc. The skyline is starting to resemble a tabletop more and more with the centre plan height restrictions, aside from Richmond Yards and likely Parkland.

Old Posted Aug 16, 2022, 11:36 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kittle View Post
Not sure if this one is going to be visible in the skyline or not (I'd put my money on "no")...but it's nice to finally see some buildings like this. In my opinion we need to move away from projects with the massing of The Mills, both of the Sister Sites buildings, Press Block, etc. The skyline is starting to resemble a tabletop more and more with the centre plan height restrictions, aside from Richmond Yards and likely Parkland.
I don't think it will be from Dartmouth - the conventional skyline angle. However, coming into the city from the Bedford Highway, the ocean, 102 or St. Margaret's Bay Road, I think it will be a nice feature.

Old Posted Aug 19, 2022, 4:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kph06 View Post
I don't think it will be from Dartmouth - the conventional skyline angle. However, coming into the city from the Bedford Highway, the ocean, 102 or St. Margaret's Bay Road, I think it will be a nice feature.
Forgot about that angle, completely agreed. I've also quite enjoyed West 22's presence from that angle.

Old Posted Aug 19, 2022, 10:02 PM

BN Cranes who owns the new to Halifax Crane for Nrth Condos also does install, raising and removal of other’s cranes. They just posted a photo from this crane with the caption “Weekend Warriors”. I suspect that means we’ll see this climb a few sections over the weekend.

Old Posted Aug 20, 2022, 12:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kittle View Post
Forgot about that angle, completely agreed. I've also quite enjoyed West 22's presence from that angle.
It is really quite distinctive coming down the hill onto Bayers on the 102 elevated section. The balcony floor plates seem to float in mid-air and make the building stand out unlike any other.

Old Posted Aug 21, 2022, 12:09 AM

Old Posted Aug 23, 2022, 5:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Keith P. View Post
It is really quite distinctive coming down the hill onto Bayers on the 102 elevated section. The balcony floor plates seem to float in mid-air and make the building stand out unlike any other.
Personally one of my favourites out of the numerous recent developments!

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Atlantic Provinces > Halifax > Halifax Peninsula & Downtown Dartmouth