HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Ontario > Hamilton > Downtown & City of Hamilton

Old Posted May 10, 2019, 1:48 AM
Hamilton Historian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr Awesomesauce View Post
Yeah, I'd like to see that block renovated, pediments added/replaced. I do like a little variation in colour, however. A long red-brick terrace could be a little monotonous...
True enough - that little stretch along james st showed that you can break up a stretch like that with different colours and have it look nice

Old Posted May 10, 2019, 11:10 AM

Just continuing the conversation on the core and the Gore here .... There is a lot of unique items that the core has that you just won't get elsewhere in the city. What it needs is vastly more residents. With them comes the shops noted ... Winners, Marshalls , Urban Outfitters, another SDM. I have great confidence that the twin 30 storey Liuna project will spur that type of development - perhaps they will house one of them as a tenant in the ground floor. One other thing we could use more of is conventions - must be much more aggressive in getting groups in .

Old Posted May 10, 2019, 11:57 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by King&James View Post
Just continuing the conversation on the core and the Gore here .... There is a lot of unique items that the core has that you just won't get elsewhere in the city. What it needs is vastly more residents. With them comes the shops noted ... Winners, Marshalls , Urban Outfitters, another SDM. I have great confidence that the twin 30 storey Liuna project will spur that type of development - perhaps they will house one of them as a tenant in the ground floor. One other thing we could use more of is conventions - must be much more aggressive in getting groups in .
Thank You! This was the point I've been trying to make about the Core/Gore for the last couple of days.

The more higher-end developments = more well-established brands deciding to open up shop in the area. The Connaught has been the start, LIUNA's rental towers will be up next I'm assuming. Core Urban's restoration on the other side of King St will also greatly help.

I deal with the real estate teams for high-end retail on a regular basis. The feedback is always the same... " The rest of the buildings within the core/gore need to improve their exterior facades and more development needs to occur before they deem the area viable for their shops. It's the same argument I have about the Beverly Hotel that was proposed in Gore Park. The stakeholders in that project definitely conducted several financial forecasts for the potential hotel and realized that it wouldn't be financially viable for several years at the present.

The Core/Gore is progressing and has made incredible strides over the last six or so years... With the amount of further development that has already been approved/ currently in for approval, the area is in excellent shape moving forward into the future and I have no doubt that this will become the focal point of the city again. This stuff takes time though. Anyone who says the Core started improving 15 years ago is dead wrong. Hundreds of Millions of Dollars weren't invested in this area 15 years ago...

Old Posted May 10, 2019, 1:14 PM

Redoing the street level of Jackson Square and Service Ontario would be crucial as well, if you are trying to sell all of downtown King Street.

Old Posted May 10, 2019, 1:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by anactualalien View Post
Redoing the street level of Jackson Square and Service Ontario would be crucial as well, if you are trying to sell all of downtown King Street.
Completely agree with this point.

Old Posted May 10, 2019, 4:13 PM
Hamilton Historian

Quote:
Originally Posted by hamilton23 View Post
Completely agree with this point.
And I as well. As it stands anything west of james feels oppressive.

Old Posted May 10, 2019, 8:34 PM

JS needs a whole new approach - including incorporating residential components. Maybe DPAI could give us a visioning session ! And Yale could nicely hand they keys to someone who wants to drive.

Old Posted May 10, 2019, 9:21 PM
Hamilton Historian

Quote:
JS needs a whole new approach - including incorporating residential components. Maybe DPAI could give us a visioning session ! And Yale could nicely hand they keys to someone who wants to drive.
I'd settle for just not having an opressive wall all the way down james st - sure there are a couple entrances but it's still feels very restrictive on the west side.

Old Posted May 10, 2019, 9:29 PM

Quote:
The owner needs to sell it in my opinion. I have a strong belief that in another 5-10 years when the core is further developed, a large commercial real estate firm will purchase Jackson Square and turn it into the mall everyone has been hoping for in Downtown Hamilton since the Eaton Centre closed down. It makes too much sense not to happen. I don't envision it turning into a partial residential development though.

Old Posted May 10, 2019, 9:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chronamut View Post
I'd settle for just not having an opressive wall all the way down james st - sure there are a couple entrances but it's still feels very restrictive on the west side.
I've been meaning to make this point:

Follow me on Twitter: https://x.com/ham_bicycleguy?t=T_fx3...SIZNGfD4A&s=09

Old Posted May 10, 2019, 9:53 PM
Hamilton Historian

Yeah that whole wall needs to be opened up..

Old Posted May 10, 2019, 9:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheRitsman View Post
I've been meaning to make this point:

It would be great if CF came in and purchased Jackson. I foresee that happening at some point.

Old Posted May 10, 2019, 10:42 PM
Hamilton Historian

I still think it's funny that the most visible part of jackson is the part that is essentially empty.

Old Posted May 30, 2019, 3:55 PM

Shovels in the ground for $20-million Marriott hotel development on Hamilton Mountain
TownePlace Suites by Marriott will add 125 long-stay rooms

Murphy said there are currently 1,664 hotel rooms in Hamilton and the TownePlace Suites by Marriott plus three other new hotels being built downtown and, on the Mountain, will add another 513 hotel rooms in the next few years.

https://www.thespec.com/news-story/9...lton-mountain/

I'm assuming 2 of the other 3 hotels are the Vranich one on King and Queen as well as the MIP hotel. What is the third?

Nice to see over 500 rooms being added.

Old Posted Jun 7, 2019, 8:40 PM
Hamilton Historian

a good link to discover hamilton:

https://theculturetrip.com/north-ame...nada/hamilton/

Old Posted Jun 8, 2019, 3:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chronamut View Post
Nice site but from the James St N article:

Quote:
James Street North, the core street in downtown Hamilton, Toronto, ...
*cringe*

Old Posted Jun 12, 2019, 3:10 PM
Hamilton Historian

Quote:
Originally Posted by yomsen View Post
Nice site but from the James St N article:

*cringe*
Lol..

Old Posted Jun 13, 2019, 8:01 PM
Bruatalism gets no respec

?

Last edited by realcity; Jun 14, 2019 at 11:02 PM.

Old Posted Jun 13, 2019, 11:28 PM
Bruatalism gets no respec

Wow it's a big nite in the Hammer. Both Copps and Ivor Wynne. Honey Badgers, Ticats, Raptors, all that's missing is Bengals.

Old Posted Jun 14, 2019, 1:35 PM
Hamilton Historian

Quote:
Originally Posted by realcity View Post
Wow it's a big nite in the Hammer. Both Copps and Ivor Wynne. Honey Badgers, Ticats, Raptors, all that's missing is Bengals.
Honey badger don't care, honey badger don't give a shit, just takes what it wants..

Video Link

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Ontario > Hamilton > Downtown & City of Hamilton