HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Atlantic Provinces > Halifax > Halifax Peninsula & Downtown Dartmouth

Old Posted Dec 13, 2021, 12:21 PM

It does fit in that block well and even blends the 5 story beside it naturally. The step backs help make the street not feel loomed over and adds to the verticle experience. But Keith roaches it with a needle, it already looks dated and it isn't even finished yet. Although, for what the building stock around the locale looks like, that isn't so much a bad thing, I guess, as it will look like it's been there all the while.

Old Posted Dec 13, 2021, 12:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by coastalkid View Post
From today:

Is it just me, or does this look like a number of "The Doyles" stacked on top of one another...

Source

Old Posted Feb 16, 2022, 8:31 PM

Some orange detailing being installed under the overhangs. Looks great in person!

Old Posted Feb 16, 2022, 11:29 PM
Salty Town

Quote:
Originally Posted by OldDartmouthMark View Post
Is it just me, or does this look like a number of "The Doyles" stacked on top of one another...

Source
Not sure you can get much worse than the Doyle, especially in light of what was destroyed to produce it. Time to diplomatically explain to developers what is expected of them.

Old Posted Feb 22, 2022, 3:29 AM

According to CBRE's Commercial Leasing PDF four of the six retail units have been leased. Anybody have any insider knowledge on what might be moving into this building?

Old Posted Feb 23, 2022, 2:32 PM

Quote:
Some orange detailing being installed under the overhangs. Looks great in person!

Nice to see some underside detailing for a change. Sure beats the stained concrete look that one usually sees on the bottom of balconies.

Old Posted Feb 23, 2022, 2:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Empire View Post
Not sure you can get much worse than the Doyle, especially in light of what was destroyed to produce it. Time to diplomatically explain to developers what is expected of them.
I have to agree.

Unfortunately I don't hold any hope that some sort of cessation of 'Maritime Life Building-type of demolitions to be replaced with mediocre developments' is going to happen; and still the quality of architecture/finishes appears to be just hit-and-miss in actuality.

That said, even if "what I want" doesn't happen, I'm glad to see more residential buildings going up. This housing crisis isn't going to fix itself - we need more supply to relax the demand and (hopefully) result in more affordable places to live for everybody.

Old Posted Feb 24, 2022, 5:30 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Empire View Post
Had to walk past that every day for work as it was being built/when it had just been completed. It took me a while after it had been completed to realize that the exterior wasn't still under construction. The concrete (I think?) blocks covering the exterior make it look as if it's incomplete I find. Always found this one was pretty bad.

Old Posted Jul 6, 2022, 7:28 PM

Brenton Suites on the left, the Crane on the right.

Old Posted Aug 4, 2022, 8:07 PM

This looks pretty much done from the street now. Upper levels almost completely cladded. Cute chocolate shop/cafe at street level. I think it turned out very well!

Old Posted Oct 10, 2022, 10:42 PM

Old Posted Oct 11, 2022, 3:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Keith P. View Post
It is interesting to contrast this with its next-door neighbor, the Trillium.The Trillium was initiated and designed in 2007, so not all that long ago. But Brenton Suites makes it look like a 1980s building by comparison, at least when comparing the exteriors and finish choices.
Agree it is remarkable how fast the once modern and luxurious Trillium has aged. And not just the exterior; there are usually a few units listed for sale, wow those (original) kitchens look so dark and dated.

Old Posted Oct 11, 2022, 3:11 PM

Quote:
This looks pretty much done from the street now. Upper levels almost completely cladded. Cute chocolate shop/cafe at street level. I think it turned out very well!
Yes it looks great and that Leonidas chocolate can't be beat. It's SO thick on your ice cream wow!

Old Posted Oct 11, 2022, 7:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kzt79 View Post
Yes it looks great and that Leonidas chocolate can't be beat. It's SO thick on your ice cream wow!
Chocolate??!! Ice Cream??!! It's been too long since I've been in that area apparently. I'd better get down there. Thanks for the heads-up

Old Posted Oct 12, 2022, 11:29 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by eastcoastal View Post
Chocolate??!! Ice Cream??!! It's been too long since I've been in that area apparently. I'd better get down there. Thanks for the heads-up
Unfortunately, unless you live within walking distance HRM has made it near-impossible to get there.

Old Posted Oct 12, 2022, 4:34 PM

I actually drove down to this area last week and found parking immediately directly outside the Trillium on South Park St. This anti-parking nonsense is getting tiring, Keith. It's clear you don't come downtown and that's fine - just don't pretend you know what you're talking about.

+1 for Leonidas. It's so good, worth the trip.

Old Posted Oct 12, 2022, 4:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mleblanc View Post
I actually drove down to this area last week and found parking immediately directly outside the Trillium on South Park St. This anti-parking nonsense is getting tiring, Keith. It's clear you don't come downtown and that's fine - just don't pretend you know what you're talking about.

+1 for Leonidas. It's so good, worth the trip.
I drove to three different locations downtown on Monday and found parking within a block of each one. It was a holiday Monday, so a little less busy than usual, but far from a ghost town. It's actually remarkable how easy it is to drive and park downtown.

Old Posted Oct 12, 2022, 4:51 PM

Quote:
I+1 for Leonidas. It's so good, worth the trip.
And those who find driving downtown just too taxing to deal with have an alternative: Leonidas has a location on Cole Harbour Road, too - with free parking, even. It's been open for several years now.

Old Posted Oct 12, 2022, 5:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Saul Goode View Post
And those who find driving downtown just too taxing to deal with have an alternative: Leonidas has a location on Cole Harbour Road, too - with free parking, even. It's been open for several years now.
They should try promoting it in that case.

Old Posted Oct 12, 2022, 5:17 PM

Quote:
I avoid it at all costs because HRM and the councillor for the area hates cars even more than they hate pizza. Between bicycle bollards, curb extensions, speed bumps and assorted "go away" type-signs it is decidedly unfriendly. Why urbanists would suggest otherwise is a bit of a mystery.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Atlantic Provinces > Halifax > Halifax Peninsula & Downtown Dartmouth