HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Atlantic Provinces > Halifax > Business, Politics & the Economy

Old Posted Oct 9, 2013, 12:51 PM

Densely Populated = Lower Voter Turnout?

The 3 ridings that were the lowest turnout in the NS Election all had less than 50% voter turnout and are

Dartmouth North - 45.5%
Clayton Park West - 45.8%
Halifax Citadel - 48.1%

but would they not be the 3 ridings with the most apartment dwellers?

Old Posted Oct 9, 2013, 1:15 PM
Wildcats Rule!!

densely populated = apartment dwellers = young = unmarried = no family = apathetic = disengaged = no investment in the community = little material property = nothing to lose = don't give a fuck.

Old Posted Oct 9, 2013, 2:11 PM
You talkin' to me?

Quote:
Originally Posted by MonctonRad View Post

densely populated = apartment dwellers = young = unmarried = no family = apathetic = disengaged = no investment in the community = little material property = nothing to lose = don't give a fuck.
If you think young & unmarried people invest nothing back into their communities and simply don't care about whats going on around them, your wrong. Way to lump everybody into one group and insult half the members of this forum...

Old Posted Oct 9, 2013, 2:21 PM
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by wishblade View Post
if you think young & unmarried people invest nothing back into their communities and simply don't care about whats going on around them, your wrong. Way to lump everybody into one group and insult half the members of this forum...
+1

Old Posted Oct 9, 2013, 2:24 PM
Wildcats Rule!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wishblade View Post
If you think young & unmarried people invest nothing back into their communities and simply don't care about whats going on around them, your wrong. Way to lump everybody into one group and insult half the members of this forum...
I don't consider the members of this forum to be typical.

Quite the contrary, if more young people were as engaged as most forum members, we would all be better off.

Old Posted Oct 9, 2013, 7:20 PM
BUILD!

Quote:
Originally Posted by MonctonRad View Post
I don't consider the members of this forum to be typical.

Quite the contrary, if more young people were as engaged as most forum members, we would all be better off.
Exactly. The average Joe or Jane in NS isn't on the up and up with development news, the economy, or frankly even politics. I'd be willing to bet almost everyone who reads/contributes to SSP voted yesterday (those eligible that is).

Old Posted Oct 9, 2013, 9:51 PM

I think in the case of Halifax Citadel, the large proportion of students from outside NS would help to explain it. Many probably can't vote (not sure how that works) and many who can probably aren't that interested in NS politics.

Old Posted Oct 10, 2013, 2:01 AM

The whole province is apathetic! What was the turnout, 52%? Lowest ever I think.

I will say that elections NS did do some pro-active things to try and get the numbers up, like week long advance polls, going to hospitals, universities and old age homes to set up portable polls.. And there were record numbers taking advantage of those options, but still, not enough exercised their duty to vote.

I hope they work on getting telephone voting or some sort of voting app the next time around, we NEED to get those numbers up.

Now lets see what the Liberals can do with Nova Scotia Power

Old Posted Oct 10, 2013, 2:03 AM
ハルウララ

Quote:
Originally Posted by scooby074 View Post
The whole province is apathetic! What was the turnout, 52%? Lowest ever I think.
58.9%. Higher than 2009 (which was ~56%) but still absurdly low considering:
1)The average age of Nova Scotians as a whole. Typically the older a person the more likely they are to vote and,
2)That all but 4 days of the election had advance polling.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hali87 View Post
I think in the case of Halifax Citadel, the large proportion of students from outside NS would help to explain it. Many probably can't vote (not sure how that works) and many who can probably aren't that interested in NS politics.
If they aren't eligible than they shouldn't count against the turnout as they wouldn't be registered voters.

Generally urban areas have lower turnouts because of higher rates of poverty/apathy and/or community involvement compared to their rural counterparts.

Old Posted Oct 10, 2013, 2:09 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JHikka View Post
58.9%. Higher than 2009 (which was ~56%) but still absurdly low considering:
1)The average age of Nova Scotians as a whole. Typically the older a person the more likely they are to vote and,
2)That all but 4 days of the election had advance polling.

If they aren't eligible than they shouldn't count against the turnout as they wouldn't be registered voters.

Generally urban areas have lower turnouts because of higher rates of poverty/apathy and/or community involvement compared to their rural counterparts.
Correct on the turnout. I was going from memory and just read the correct numbers in the Herald. http://www.thechronicleherald.ca/nov...ed-just-barely

58.9% is still pretty pathetic!

Old Posted Oct 17, 2013, 2:54 AM

As a young, single, urban-engaged, and encouraged member of this city, I would say that a portion of the 55%, do not live here for the whole of the year as students.

Plus maybe the constant image of uselessness, and incompetence the local media likes to paint our municipal government might also be a factor.

Question, and maybe I'm showing my age, but wasn't it the Liberals who privatized NSP?

However maybe Monctonrad has it right... >pssst< you've got a shoelace hanging out of your mouth buds.

Old Posted Oct 17, 2013, 12:54 PM
BUILD!

Quote:
Originally Posted by W.Sobchak View Post
As a young, single, urban-engaged, and encouraged member of this city, I would say that a portion of the 55%, do not live here for the whole of the year as students.

Plus maybe the constant image of uselessness, and incompetence the local media likes to paint our municipal government might also be a factor.

Question, and maybe I'm showing my age, but wasn't it the Liberals who privatized NSP?

However maybe Monctonrad has it right... >pssst< you've got a shoelace hanging out of your mouth buds.
Nah the PCs privatized NSP. The hellspawn that is Emera was forged out of that awful decision.

Old Posted Oct 17, 2013, 4:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by scooby074 View Post
Correct on the turnout. I was going from memory and just read the correct numbers in the Herald. http://www.thechronicleherald.ca/nov...ed-just-barely

58.9% is still pretty pathetic!
In that case, then only 41.1% of the province is pathetic...

It is a source of frustration to me when I read these kind of numbers. If people don't think their vote makes a difference, take a look at Dexter losing his riding by a mere 21 votes! If just a few more Dexter proponents in his riding had gotten off their duffs to vote, he might still be there instead of collecting his $130,000/yr pension...

My view is that if you don't vote you don't have a right to complain about your government. Simple as that. This democratic process was hard fought and in place for a reason, but so many people don't seem to get it. Frustrating. It's time for people to step away from their phones and facebook for a minute and consider what should be really important to them.

The apathy seems to be more widespread than just NS, as illustrated by these Alberta voter turnout rates:

Voter turnout in recent Alberta Provincial elections

YEAR %
2012 54.4
2008 40.6
2004 44.7
2001 52.8
1997 52.8
1993 60.2

Source:
http://www.elections.ab.ca/Public%20Website/927.htm

End

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Atlantic Provinces > Halifax > Business, Politics & the Economy