HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Atlantic Provinces > Halifax > Halifax Photos

Old Posted Oct 28, 2011, 2:42 AM

Halifax Harbour Walk .

I took a walk along the Woodside/Dartmouth shore the other day, ended up snapping a lot more pictures than i expected so ill post a bunch here

The rest can be seen in this thread i made :
http://forum.skyscraperpage.com/showthread.php?t=194831

Old Posted Oct 28, 2011, 3:33 AM

Very nice - but I wonder if this should be moved into the pictures section?
Btw - has it been windy there lately too? We had some wicked Chinook winds yesterday, had us down to a windchill!

Old Posted Oct 28, 2011, 3:40 AM

Actually it was quite windy around the shoreline, got kinda cold but it was an otherwise nice day

It has been pretty cold here recently though .

And im pretty sure this is in the Halifax photos section if thats what you meant.

Old Posted Oct 28, 2011, 1:46 PM

Nice pics! You have a good eye.

I love that walk. I don't do it enough.

Old Posted Oct 28, 2011, 2:17 PM
Jelly Bean Sandwich

Quote:
Originally Posted by -Harlington- View Post

Good catch!

Old Posted Jan 29, 2012, 1:12 AM
Heart of the Continent

Is anyone in a location that allows them to get a good picture of HMCS Halifax? She's tied up at the Halifax Shipyards and I'd really like to see a recent close up picture of her.

Last edited by jmt18325; Jan 29, 2012 at 1:37 AM.

Old Posted Feb 1, 2012, 4:57 AM
Heart of the Continent

I'll take that as a no, then...

Old Posted Feb 1, 2012, 5:06 AM
BANNED

Sorry buddy. Wish I could help ya out.

Old Posted Feb 1, 2012, 2:53 PM
Heart of the Continent

That's okay, I thought it was worth a shot. I asked the guy at the Shipfax blog, so hopefully.

Old Posted Mar 21, 2012, 6:59 AM

Quote:
I like this picture. Poor dude doesn't look very comfortable on the Dark side, and probably would have left if someone had drawn him legs. I wonder what he'd think about the plans to redevelop the surrounding area?

Old Posted Oct 12, 2013, 6:09 AM
Dartmouth Girl

Reviving an old thread here, but I took a walk down the Harbour Walk today and a good chunk of the cool art is still all there from then this was originally posted.. however walking in between the buildings before the big open wall next to the tracks near Dominion Diving they're expanding the murals onto those buildings as well (one was currently in-progress when I went by!) and I found I think one of my all time most favourite pieces of street art I've ever seen.. if any of you are fans of the old cartoon show The Raccoons.. I think you'll enjoy this (Wishblade, I'm looking in your direction )

(Click for full res!)

Old Posted Oct 12, 2013, 2:22 PM

Whatever artistic talent may be present is overwhelmed by the simply awful graffiti-esque style. Replacing gang tag graffiti vandalism with graffiti "art" is really not any improvement. Both look terrible.

Old Posted Oct 12, 2013, 6:29 PM
Dartmouth Girl

Quote:
Originally Posted by Keith P. View Post
Whatever artistic talent may be present is overwhelmed by the simply awful graffiti-esque style. Replacing gang tag graffiti vandalism with graffiti "art" is really not any improvement. Both look terrible.
Alright.. I'm usually good at putting on that facade-esque smile, and grin and bearing it at what you say, but as an artist myself I kinda boiled over at your comment here and it really irks me.

I don't know why you're holding onto this "gang" mentality Keith... this has nothing to do with gangs, it's freelance artists who enjoy this particular artform and are very talented people who just happen to express themselves in a form that you feel for whatever reason, holds some sort of negative stereotype. What kind of art do you like? Country Music? Abstract cubism, for all I know you could (and probably prefer) sit in a lawn chair all day, staring at a blank white wall all day and contemplating what you're going to hate tomorrow. I could say all sorts of negative stuff about whatever it is you enjoy and tack on all sorts of completely unrelated negative things to it. Street art is a major artform now, so you may have to break your little safe-haven bubble and accept that. Contests and galleries are held worldwide to feature this stuff, "tagging" as you see nowadays are usually kids playing around with a spray can without any artistic form or permission, but work like these murals takes planning, you have to practice and get good at your form and most of all, this is all done with permission.

That said, I'll give you a few cans of spraypaint, a blank wall and I want to see you put hours of work into a mural that looks better than this.

"It's okay to not like things, it's okay, but don't be a dick about the things you don't like."

Old Posted Oct 12, 2013, 6:38 PM

Graffiti is vandalism first and foremost. It may be pretty vandalism to some, but it remains at its core anti-social and disrespectful of property rights. It has its roots in inner-city gang activity. While this may have been created by someone with no connection to a gang, it still pays homage to that origin and hence is not to be welcomed. To art types it may be of interest and worthy of discussion but even bad art is of interest to those types. I'm sure all styles have their fans but this is really not much removed from paintings of Elvis on black velvet in terms of merit. It may be a curiosity, like Robert Crumb's Keep On Truckin' images, but it is highly questionable art to be featured in a public space. Hopefully it wasn't paid for by the taxpayer.

Old Posted Oct 12, 2013, 7:28 PM

You... really have no clue what you're talking about, do you, Keith? Graffiti has been a part of society for... well, millennia. A good portion of what we know about Pompeii comes from all the graffiti that survived.

And I'm sure those those first world war soldiers etching things into tunnel walls were living the thug life...

You may not like it, that's valid, but your attempts to link it intrinsically to gangs and criminal culture is severely misinformed and insulting.

It's human nature. As long as it's done respectfully (asking permission, not harming anyone else's work etc etc), then what does it matter to you?

Old Posted Oct 12, 2013, 8:00 PM
You talkin' to me?

Quote:
Originally Posted by HaliStreaks View Post
Reviving an old thread here, but I took a walk down the Harbour Walk today and a good chunk of the cool art is still all there from then this was originally posted.. however walking in between the buildings before the big open wall next to the tracks near Dominion Diving they're expanding the murals onto those buildings as well (one was currently in-progress when I went by!) and I found I think one of my all time most favourite pieces of street art I've ever seen.. if any of you are fans of the old cartoon show The Raccoons.. I think you'll enjoy this (Wishblade, I'm looking in your direction )

(Click for full res!)

That's great! Love the Racoons reference .
I haven't been down that way in 5 or 6 months. I'm gonna have to check it out again.

And Keith, I really do pity you on this issue. Phalanx is right, the origins of graffiti go way deeper and far beyond that of gang activity.

Old Posted Oct 13, 2013, 12:48 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wishblade View Post
And Keith, I really do pity you on this issue. Phalanx is right, the origins of graffiti go way deeper and far beyond that of gang activity.

The Pompeiians and WWI soldiers he referenced did not generate crap like this. This is art the way hip-hop and rap is music. Garbage.

Old Posted Oct 13, 2013, 1:35 AM
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by Phalanx View Post
You... really have no clue what you're talking about, do you, Keith? Graffiti has been a part of society for... well, millennia. A good portion of what we know about Pompeii comes from all the graffiti that survived.

And I'm sure those those first world war soldiers etching things into tunnel walls were living the thug life...

You may not like it, that's valid, but your attempts to link it intrinsically to gangs and criminal culture is severely misinformed and insulting.
If you let him wallow in his own hatefulness by himself without any counter posts, he does bugger off more quickly.

This forum is fortunate to have many friendly visitors who are willing to debate a variety of topics, such as yourself Phalanx; however, I recommend against feeding the trolls.

Old Posted Oct 13, 2013, 4:08 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Keith P. View Post
This is art the way hip-hop and rap is music.
People win Grammys for hip-hop and rap music. These genres grace (and often dominate) the Billboard charts. It's not uncommon to see rappers on the cover of Rolling Stone. So I think it's safe to say that western society, as a whole, has acknowledged, and in fact embraced, hip-hop and rap as legitimate musical genres. Obviously you haven't, and that's fine, but don't kid yourself into thinking that it's just a minority of criminally-inclined, good for nothing punk ass kids who like this stuff. It's a majority of my generation, the generation that will largely be running your city and your country within the next couple of decades. And without knowing your age, I can confidently say that at least a sizable minority of law-abiding members of your generation respect it as "real" music too.

So yeah, I'd agree that it's art the way that hip-hop and rap are music.

Old Posted Oct 13, 2013, 5:17 AM

As much as I appreciate graffiti pieces, I still love seeing a slimy flow pen or mop tag with proper handstyle on a Canada Post mail bin or a dumpster.

That grime from the city slime feel I know and love.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Atlantic Provinces > Halifax > Halifax Photos