HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Atlantic Provinces > Halifax > Business, Politics & the Economy

Old Posted Dec 11, 2021, 3:30 AM
Halifax Promoter!

I would also love to know the actual population of metro HRM!

Old Posted Dec 11, 2021, 12:45 PM

How is this calculated?

These numbers are calculated using the most recent population estimates available, to which are added the components of population change modelled according to the trends of the past year.

The population clock is recalibrated four times a year to ensure consistency with population estimates released quarterly. As a consequence of this recalibration process, the numbers presented on this page may show abrupt periodic fluctuations.

https://www150.statcan.gc.ca/n1/pub/...018005-eng.htm

Quote:
Originally Posted by DigitalNinja View Post
I think the clock is just based on a algorithm. I don't think it's very accurate to what the real population is. Although the algorithm is updated periodically. I think it's quite likely our real population has reached and is past 1 million at the moment.

Old Posted Dec 11, 2021, 12:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by teddifax View Post
I would also love to know the actual population of metro HRM!
Me too, as well as the "population centre". It was quite low compared to the metro in the 2016 Census and surely that relationship has changed over the past 5 years.

Old Posted Dec 13, 2021, 3:03 AM
Halifax Promoter!

The Canada's population web page has been down all day... is it part of the government temporary shutdown due to piracy or whatever it's called. I hope it's back up soon.... getting close to the million.

Old Posted Dec 13, 2021, 1:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by teddifax View Post
The Canada's population web page has been down all day... is it part of the government temporary shutdown due to piracy or whatever it's called. I hope it's back up soon.... getting close to the million.
Interestingly, I can't load the page anew on any of my advices, but in the window I'd left open on my desktop it's still actively updating:

Old Posted Dec 13, 2021, 1:26 PM

It will load here:

Canada's population clock (real-time model)
https://web.archive.org/web/20211125...018005-eng.htm

Old Posted Dec 13, 2021, 5:53 PM
Halifax Promoter!

Thank you!

Old Posted Dec 16, 2021, 5:29 PM

Apparently we have hit 1,000,000 Nova Scotians!

Quote:
News release
Nova Scotia Reaches One Million Population Milestone
Premier's Office
December 16, 2021 - 12:55 PM
Nova Scotia marks a major population milestone as the province surpasses one million people, following record growth since July 2021.

“Reaching the one million mark is a significant moment in our province’s history. After years of a declining population, the world is learning how special Nova Scotia is; we have momentum and are growing,” said Premier Tim Houston. “More people make us stronger in every way. We all benefit from this growth with a greater tax base, new businesses and jobs, greater diversity and culture and improved infrastructure. I ask our citizens, employers, communities, schools and workplaces to open their arms to new Nova Scotians and provide a warm welcome to all who choose our spectacular province as their home.”

A key priority for government, as identified in Ministers’ mandate letters, is economic growth. In collaboration across the government, with businesses, communities and other stakeholders, the Province is working to attract and retain more young people, entrepreneurs and skilled workers who deliver essential services such as healthcare, education and construction.

Immigration has played a large part in growing the population in Nova Scotia. The Department of Labour, Skills and Immigration continues to work with employers to find innovative ways to respond to current and emerging needs in occupations where there are shortages and help to streamline the immigration process.

To grow Nova Scotia’s population to two million by 2060, the Province aims to attract 25,000 newcomers per year through a combination of migration from other parts of Canada and strategic immigration efforts.

While Canada’s real-time population clock website is currently offline, Statistics Canada’s The Daily report for today, December 16, indicates Nova Scotia has surpassed one million.

Quotes:
Nova Scotia is steadily growing, and we want to encourage those living across the country and around the world to build a life in our beautiful province. With a growing population comes increased opportunities. Newcomers fuel our economy, fill labour gaps and enrich our communities. We look forward to welcoming new people to Nova Scotia with open arms and experiencing the benefits of newcomers in all parts of the province.
Jill Balser, Minister of Labour, Skills and Immigration
Since moving here from Israel in 2020, I've rejoiced again and again over the spectacular natural beauty that is literally around every corner in Nova Scotia. But most of all, I love the people here. They are sincere, kind, friendly, with a lot of sensitivity to others' emotions and a genuine willingness to help anyone. That is the real treasure of our province.
Bridgewater resident Sasha Raz
Quick Facts:
from January 1 to April 1, 2021, 5,696 people moved to Nova Scotia from other countries and other parts of Canada, and the province’s population grew by 2,877 – the largest increase in a first quarter since 1971
in 2020, the top five source countries for all landed newcomers to Nova Scotia were India, China, the Philippines, Korea and the United Kingdom
Nova Scotia’s current immigrant retention rate is 71 per cent, the highest in Atlantic Canada
the Province is preparing to launch a $2.5-million marketing initiative to support new provincial immigration and migration targets by attracting newcomers from across Canada
https://novascotia.ca/news/release/?id=20211216003

Quote:
Nova Scotia on its way to one million people
Close to one million people (998,832) were estimated to be living in Nova Scotia on October 1, 2021. Canada's
population clock (real-time model) now shows that Nova Scotia has more than one million people who call this
province home.
This assumes that growth has continued to follow recent trends since October 1. Nova Scotia's
population growth in the third quarter of 2021 reached a record level due to both international and interprovincial
migration.
From stats Canada The Daily

Last edited by q12; Dec 16, 2021 at 5:40 PM.

Old Posted Dec 16, 2021, 5:51 PM

Interestingly, the clock is still running on my desktop - it's actively updating - and says 999,896. Maybe someone added the hundred people on that plane the other day. :-)

Old Posted Dec 20, 2021, 7:28 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Half-Axed View Post
Interestingly, the clock is still running on my desktop - it's actively updating - and says 999,896. Maybe someone added the hundred people on that plane the other day. :-)
It has not topped 1 million yet according to my computer - I've been watching it for quite some time.

Interesting that the premier seems to suggest this has all just magically happened since he was elected or is it that he is just unaware of the population growth for the last few years

Old Posted Dec 20, 2021, 7:34 AM

Another thought - the premier's office is releasing this early so they will not be disturbed during their long Christmas holiday - the rest of us are still working

Old Posted Dec 20, 2021, 4:02 PM

I like picking on politicians as much as the next guy, but it was actually StatsCan's The Daily that jumped the gun and claimed the clock showed "more than one million people" before it actually did:

https://www150.statcan.gc.ca/n1/dail...11216c-eng.htm

At the time most people couldn't verify it because the page appeared to be down, and the NS Government naturally jumped on it.

Right now the clock says 999,975 so i think it's going to roll over in the next day or so.

Old Posted Dec 21, 2021, 1:39 PM

Old Posted Dec 21, 2021, 2:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by q12 View Post
Looks like they did a "face-saving" adjustment! 😆

Old Posted Dec 21, 2021, 4:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by q12 View Post
Curiouser and curiouser. It said 999,995 on my desktop - and it was still actively updating - so I reloaded and the new number was there.

They do quarterly adjustments - maybe that happened overnight before their holidays. There's also a Note on the page:

Note that discrepancies may be observed when running more than one instance of the tool. The location in which events are occurring may differ due to the randomization of the modelled data.

Last edited by Half-Axed; Dec 21, 2021 at 4:35 PM.

Old Posted Dec 21, 2021, 4:57 PM
hähnchenbrüstfiletstüc

Quote:
Note that discrepancies may be observed when running more than one instance of the tool. The location in which events are occurring may differ due to the randomization of the modelled data.
I don't think they compute these populations on a centralized server. Instead, when you load the page your browser probably loads some initial conditions and runs a model that adds and subtracts population randomly according to a distribution that is meant to match the rates happening in the real world. Over time they may tweak the parameters of the model, so a newly-loaded page may diverge from some loaded a long time ago.

When Statistics Canada announced 1,000,000 they probably already knew what the latest modeling would look like or may have gotten ahead of the public population clock a bit, rather than being wrong.

Old Posted Dec 21, 2021, 5:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by someone123 View Post
I don't think they compute these populations on a centralized server. Instead, when you load the page your browser probably loads some initial conditions and runs a model that adds and subtracts population randomly according to a distribution that is meant to match the rates happening in the real world. Over time they may tweak the parameters of the model, so a newly-loaded page may diverge from some loaded a long time ago.

When Statistics Canada announced 1,000,000 they probably already knew what the latest modeling would look like or may have gotten ahead of the public population clock a bit, rather than being wrong.
This is correct. It's just a client side JS program running when you open the tab and load the page. No communication with the server after the initial page load.

As their data and population calculation algorithm changes is when you see those big changes in data.

Old Posted Dec 21, 2021, 9:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DigitalNinja View Post
This is correct. It's just a client side JS program running when you open the tab and load the page. No communication with the server after the initial page load.

As their data and population calculation algorithm changes is when you see those big changes in data.
That explains why it needed to be reloaded today.

But I did force a reload yesterday by closing, reopening, and then hitting reload, and the numbers did not change. So I'd still say an adjustment got done overnight.

None of this matters but I wanted screenshots of the turnover LOL

Old Posted Dec 21, 2021, 9:54 PM

Quote:
That explains why it needed to be reloaded today.

But I did force a reload yesterday by closing, reopening, and then hitting reload, and the numbers did not change. So I'd still say an adjustment got done overnight.

None of this matters but I wanted screenshots of the turnover LOL
Here you go:

It just turned over on the web archive of the old clock before the data was added.

Old Posted Dec 22, 2021, 3:29 AM
Halifax Promoter!

I want this for Halifax Metro Population now!!!

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Atlantic Provinces > Halifax > Business, Politics & the Economy