HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Atlantic Provinces > Halifax > Arts, Culture, Dining, Recreation & Entertainment

Old Posted Feb 19, 2011, 7:25 PM
Honored Member

Because of the success of the Winter Games in Halifax, I think that larger Canadian cities will likely start bidding for it in the future. Personally, I think the current Canada Winter Games in Halifax were possibly as beneficial to the Halifax area as the Commonwealth Games would have been, but at a much lower price.

I really enjoyed watching the Nova Scotia hockey games. Nathan MacKinnon of Nova Scotia and Curtis Lazar of BC are two players who will likely be NHL stars in a few years.

Old Posted Feb 19, 2011, 11:31 PM

Great Big Sea concert can be seen Live on the Bell Aliant link

http://canadagames.bellaliant.net/li...2011&m=02&d=19

http://canadagames.bellaliant.net/

Old Posted Feb 21, 2011, 3:54 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by q12 View Post
Great Big Sea concert can be seen Live on the Bell Aliant link

http://canadagames.bellaliant.net/li...2011&m=02&d=19

http://canadagames.bellaliant.net/
It was a wicked concert. The whole Parade Square was packed from end to end and the crowd spilled over onto the nearby streets. My viewing point was on the side of the icy hill near the Dome (Argyle Street) so I had a wicked view of the crowd (a sea of flashing red and blue) and a decent view of the stage.

I took quite a few photos and one video on my friend's camera so hopefully I can get those soon!

Old Posted Feb 21, 2011, 5:59 PM

I was only 30 feet away from the stage it was amazing, squished but amazing.

Old Posted Feb 21, 2011, 6:28 PM
Jelly Bean Sandwich

I'm disappointed in the way this one turned out. The light went green before I was able to get the shot of the Torch.

Old Posted Feb 21, 2011, 7:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DigitalNinja View Post
I was only 30 feet away from the stage it was amazing, squished but amazing.
I imagine that if Halifax is able to win the FIFA event in 2015 - we'd be putting on something of similar level of interest. I think the Canada Games has created a spark and a realization that we are a world class city that can host an event like this.

Now just to attract another event. Personally, I wouldn't be upset if we tried to get the Commonwealth Games again - but not until we get a stadium. Regardless of what the negative people say; the lessons learned from the mistakes of the previous attempt would probably make for a stronger bid.

Old Posted Feb 25, 2011, 2:07 AM
Honored Member

There are three great videos showing still pictures from the Canada Winter Games at this link - http://www.canadagames2011.ca/en/home/default.aspx on the right hand side. It looks like it has been a great success.

Old Posted Feb 25, 2011, 11:46 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by fenwick16 View Post
It looks like it has been a great success.
Lots of stories making the rounds now about screw-ups by HRM and the Games organizers due to poor planning. The real question I have that has been totally buried is: how much is all this costing us as HRM taxpayers? From all reports the spending has been nonstop.

Old Posted Mar 1, 2011, 1:12 AM
Jelly Bean Sandwich

Hopefully with all the coverage and good words from TSN, the tourists will come this summer and help us make back some of that spending.

Old Posted Mar 1, 2011, 6:06 PM
Fizzix geek

From tsn.com

WALLING: HALIFAX PUT ON QUITE A SHOW FOR CANADA GAMES

Quote:
The 2011 Canada Winter Games are over. Two weeks plus of partying, frivolity and competition in Halifax have ended and looking back, this could be one of the best Winter Games ever contested.

These games were held in a big city. Not a place as big as Toronto or Montreal where they play NHL hockey, but when you consider past locations such as: Whitehorse, Yukon in 2007, Bathurst, New Brunswick in 2003, Corner Brook, Newfoundland in 1999, Grande Prairie, Alberta in 1995 and Charlottetown, Prince Edward Island in 1991, it was held in a big venue.

In fact, these games may have been used as a test to see if they could be held in one of Canada's larger cities such as Calgary, Ottawa or even Toronto.

Just as the Olympics leave behind much needed infrastructure like the Saddledome for Calgary and the Commonwealth Games left a stadium in Edmonton, these games have provided a shiny new Canada Games complex, worth over $45 million, for Halifax.

This complex will be used as an Atlantic training centre for high performance athletes. This was the only region of the country that didn't have such a facility and now it does.

The Oval

An Oval on the Halifax Commons was the highlight of the games. So much so that there is a big movement to keep it and make it permanent. Experts say if the Oval remains in place, this part of the country will become a force in speed skating.

Look at what the Oval did for Calgary as a result of the 1988 Winter Olympics?

The ski resorts of Ski Martock in Windsor, Nova Scotia and Wentworth received upgraded facilities that will help in the future.

It was the Canada Winter Games and all but we only had one day of cold winter weather. These days with Global warming showing up without warning, especially in the province that is the most southerly one, the weather, other, than one single day, was perfect.

"This is awesome for snow boarding and skiing," said one participant "It's nice and even cold. This is what winter ought to be," said another.

Quebec took first place in the over all medals standings earning 137 points for their hardware, 27 more than runner up Ontario.

Quebec which won these games in 2007 has more coaches and more importantly full time coaches than any other province. Some say that is a factor in the final results.

In fact, since the 1975 games which were held in Lethbridge, Alberta, Quebec has been on the top of the medal board for all but one of the games.

Nova Scotia took the Centennial Cup, which is awarded to the team that shows the biggest improvement over their performance in the last Winter Games. They were able to improve from zero gold medals to five and from seven total medals in 2007 to 12 this year.

A point to mention is that four of the medals that Nova Scotia picked up were in boxing but that sport is being removed from the Canada Games roster. This was the final time it will be contested for the foreseeable future.

The fights were held at the Halifax Forum, a building that is one of the oldest in Canada. The Forum was built in 1928 and it was a sell out with 5000 people. It's been decades since the forum had a sell out for anything and maybe 50 years since a sell out was recorded in boxing at any games. Perhaps there were sell outs during the Blair Richardson era.

Some cute notes: Katy Josephs the captain of the Alberta hockey team that took the gold had a good experience.

It was the first time since 1991 that the Prairie province won this medal. Hayley Wickenheiser was a member that championship team.

She put all her gear in the same locker that Sidney Crosby used when he came to Halifax as a member of the Rimouski Oceanic. I'm Amazed they would even know or keep record of stuff like that.

Jacqueline Simoneau the Quebec flag bearer took home three medals. In fact on the short track, the province she led took 22 out of 27 available medals. That is simply amazing for any province.

These games will be the highpoint for many but according to one Canadian Olympic legend, for some they are a stepping stone to bigger things.

"Some of these kids will be in the Olympics come three years time," Catriona LeMay Doan told the national TV audience during the closing ceremonies.

Indeed some will and these games provided their first national exposure.

It was a good event and Halifax may have regained some luster it lost when it cancelled its bid for the 2014 Commonwealth Games.

For TSN.ca, I'm Alex J. Walling

Old Posted Mar 26, 2011, 10:08 PM

From the Herald's online version today...

posted to the wrong thread - whoops!

Last edited by halifaxboyns; Mar 26, 2011 at 10:20 PM.

Old Posted Jul 6, 2011, 12:44 AM

Games generate largest economic impact for Canada Games

The Halifax 2011 Canada Games have broken another record. The February event generated more than $130 million in economic activity in Nova Scotia, created more than 1,100 jobs, and $40 million in wages and salaries.

More than 11,500 people visited Halifax for the Games.

Games Chairman Jean-Paul Deveau and Games CEO Chris Morrissey announced this today, July 5, at their final presentation to HRM Council.

"I'm very proud to report that the Games were a financial success," said Deveau. "It was vital to our board of directors that these Games leave a positive fiscal legacy. Thanks to the hard work of our staff and volunteers, and the support of the community and province, we can look back on the 2011 Games as a success in every sense of the word."

The Games also leave behind a $200,000 surplus, to be added to the Games Legacy Fund, which will have a value of $1.5 million.

“Our Government is proud to have supported the 2011 Canada Games in Halifax,” said the Honourable Bal Gosal, Minister of State (Sport). “These Games have given us a tremendous legacy, and by supporting them our Government delivered on its commitment to strengthen communities through sport and physical activity. The 2011 Canada Games have brought long-lasting and sustainable sport, social, cultural and economic benefits to Halifax and to Nova Scotia.”

The event brought federal government tax revenues of $10.5 million, and an additional $10 million in taxes to the province. About $1.9 million in taxes was created in municipalities throughout the province, including $1.2 million in HRM.

"The 2011 Games have set the bar for putting on a world-class event while engaging the community and balancing the budget," said Premier Darrell Dexter. "The legacy of these Games will continue to benefit Nova Scotians for years to come."

As part of the Games' legacy, the Host Society will give three refrigeration units to the Halifax Regional Municipality to help the Canada Games Oval become permanent on the Halifax Common. In exchange, HRM will ensure dedicated training time for high-performance athletes on the 400-metre oval, and has committed to hosting annual Canada Games Days to commemorate the 2011 Games.

“The Games offered an opportunity for our municipality to shine thanks in large measure to the professionalism of the organizers and the enthusiasm of the many volunteers,” said Mayor Peter Kelly. “To learn that the Games were also a financial success is wonderful way to cap the hosting experience.”

"The success of the Halifax 2011 Canada Games helped produce the largest economic impact in the history of the Canada Games," said Canada Games council chair Tom Quinn. "The infrastructure and the financial surplus will have a tremendous impact on the community and will creating lasting legacies for generations to come."

The Games helped boost the number of room nights sold in Nova Scotia by 16 per cent in February 2011 compared to 2010.

The Host Society exceeded its sponsorship target of $8.2 million and its ticket sales target of $1 million.

Attendance at sporting events was strong, with sold-out events at almost all Games venues. More than 400,000 people streamed Games action live on www.bellaliant.net. An estimated 50,000 people attended free concerts in Celebration Square at Grand Parade.

The Halifax 2011 Canada Games Final Report can be found online at

www.canadagames2011.ca .

Old Posted Jul 6, 2011, 1:34 AM

Well, I dunno. Every retail business I talked to said their business was way down for those 2 weeks. Everybody left town and the Games people spent very little money. I know that bars and restaurants really took a hit. I am very dubious of these claims of great benefit.

Old Posted Jul 6, 2011, 2:17 AM
hähnchenbrüstfiletstüc

Seems like it was a mixed success but was a smaller scale event and resulted in some good infrastructure. Having the games centre way out in Clayton Park probably didn't help much.

I am not necessarily opposed to these events but I dislike how they are sold as economic generators. It's hard to believe that a city like Halifax can get ahead by throwing a giant party to fill hotels and restaurants.

I'm also pretty sceptical about athletic funding. Kids barely get any phys ed and have to pay for a lot of basic sports but we shell out millions for athletes. The justification is often that funding for a small number of athletes promotes athletics for the population at large. Right... I should pitch a plan for NS to give me $10M so it encourages others to follow suit. Say goodbye to the have-not status!

Old Posted Jul 6, 2011, 3:21 AM
Honored Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by -Harlington- View Post
Games generate largest economic impact for Canada Games

The Halifax 2011 Canada Games have broken another record. The February event generated more than $130 million in economic activity in Nova Scotia, created more than 1,100 jobs, and $40 million in wages and salaries.
This number does seem quite high. Although old data, for all of 2007, the Nova Scotia hotel industry had revenue of $387 million dollars - http://www.pkfcanada.com/docs/HAC_Brochure_2007.pdf . So I don't see how an increase of 16% in hotel rooms for one month can translate into $130 million dollars in economic activity (even with all the all related revenue streams).

In any case, I believe it was a success and I am sure that it was worthwhile for Nova Scotia to host the event. It isn't just a matter of dollars and cents but also a matter of local civic pride to host such a successful event.

Last edited by fenwick16; Jul 6, 2011 at 3:59 AM. Reason: my spelling of cents didn't make sense

Old Posted Jul 6, 2011, 3:22 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Keith P. View Post
Well, I dunno. Every retail business I talked to said their business was way down for those 2 weeks. Everybody left town and the Games people spent very little money. I know that bars and restaurants really took a hit. I am very dubious of these claims of great benefit.
A lot did take a hit. The place I work at experienced a bit of a boost in numbers but that was solely because we are located on a major thoroughfare that gets ridiculously busy with everything. Mind you keep in mind the "rush" we got from Canada Games events were more pathetic than the Sunday night "beach run", "cold beer drive-thru rush" on Holidays, or rushes from tournaments nearby.

I think its safe to say Downtown benefitted from the free concerts at the Grand Parade. I know the one I went to with Great Big Sea was packed from end to end and a lot of people just stayed afterwards to party it up on Argyle Street.

End

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Atlantic Provinces > Halifax > Arts, Culture, Dining, Recreation & Entertainment