HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Ontario > Hamilton > Urban, Urban Design & Heritage Issues

Old Posted Jan 9, 2009, 3:27 PM
It's Hammer Time

Concession Street

A thread for the heart of Hamilton Mountain, Concession St.

Old Posted Jan 9, 2009, 3:31 PM
It's Hammer Time

Movie Palace thinks about adding screens
Owner says closure of Upper James Cinemas pushing project forward

By Mark Newman, News Staff
Business
Jan 09, 2009

The owner of The Movie Palace on Concession Street is looking to add two more screens to his theatre as soon as this summer. That is, if he can line up investors willing to come up with as much as $250,000 to pay for the expansion. “My frustration now is that I’m a single screen,” said Dale Barker, who purchased the then-vacant former Lyceum Theatre near the corner of Concession and Upper Wentworth in 2003 and refurbished the auditorium in a Roman motif with booth seating for about 300 people.

Mr. Barker said two more screens — a smaller twin of the existing theatre with 125 seats and a 40-50 seat VIP theatre — would enable him to show more first-run movies and push his gross sales to more than $1 million a year. When he shows a first-run movie now, Mr. Barker noted, that film gets exclusive rights to his screen for up to three weeks, a situation that has forced him to turn down several releases.

Mr. Barker said his business has been growing at a rate of 10-15 per cent a year and in 2008 his gross sales totaled about $330,000.

On Dec. 19, Cineplex Entertainment opened Silver City Hamilton Mountain, a 10-screen, 2,000-seat multi-screen, state-of-the-art movie house in Upper Stoney Creek and closed their 10-screen, 1,534- seat Upper James Cinemas, leaving The Movie Palace as the only theatre on the Mountain.

Mr. Barker said he’s been contemplating the expansion for some time and the closure of the Upper James theatre has pushed the project forward.

“I’m definitely motivated to do it a lot quicker,” he said.

While he’s still working out the configuration, the expansion will likely take place on the west side of the theatre. A few rows of seating will be removed and the 40-foot screen that hangs from the ceiling will be moved inward to allow for a sound-proof wall to go in and a smaller theatre on the other side with mostly stadium style seating.

Mr. Barker said the twin theatre will have a 25-to 30-foot screen and the VIP theatre will have a 15-to 20- foot screen.

The twin theatre will feature a medieval design, while the VIP theatre will have a Chinese motif, Mr. Barker said. Some stadium seating will also be added to the existing theatre.

While the recession has led many businesses to cut back, Mr. Barker noted movie theatres historically tend to do well in bad economic times.

“During the Depression movie attendance was incredible,” Mr. Barker noted. “Nothing’s better than the movies during a period like this; this is when people need two hours of escape.”

Mr. Barker said he will compete with the big theatre chains by continuing to focus on attracting groups and families with lower prices for tickets and concessions. He’s even thinking about opening a second Movie Palace in the Hamilton area in couple of years.

Paul Wharton, chair of the Concession Street Business Improvement Area, said the BIA is hoping to see The Movie Palace expand.

“I think it’s a good thing for the street,” Mr. Wharton said. “It will bring more people to the street, which is what we’re looking for.”

Old Posted Jan 9, 2009, 3:32 PM
It's Hammer Time

That would be awesome!

Old Posted Jan 9, 2009, 5:12 PM

I'd love to see a return of the incline railway or something similar up the mountain to Concession. So many possibilities!

Old Posted Jan 9, 2009, 6:17 PM
Bruatalism gets no respec

good idea for a thread.

Concession is awesome. It must be one of -- if not the most -- mixed-use neighbourhoods in the city. The housing ranges from $90K cottages to $750,000 tudors, $1 million condos and bach apartment blocks. Great parks from Gage to Sam Lawrence, amazing urban vistas and old-growth Carolinian, huge healthcare sector, restaurants, entertainment, library, white-collar office to dollar-store retail. And like 3 or 4 places to buy groceries. All walkable.

I think it's better then Westdale, perhaps not as pretty but more functionable and affordable to a larger variety. McMaster needs to open up more to Westdale, I don't know how it can. But when I went to school there, I knew people in rez, they lived their for the entire undergrad and never left the campus, if they did the few times it was into Westdale Village and didn't ever go downtown.

I think that may help open up this thread.

Old Posted Jan 11, 2009, 1:03 AM
Hammer'd

Hey, I hear theres two abandoned theatres downtown that could use a restoration
"Above all, Hamilton must learn to think like a city, not a suburban hybrid where residents drive everywhere. What makes Hamilton interesting is the fact it's a city. The sprawl that surrounds it, which can be found all over North America, is running out of time."

Old Posted Jan 11, 2009, 10:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SteelTown View Post
Movie Palace thinks about adding screens
Owner says closure of Upper James Cinemas pushing project forward

By Mark Newman, News Staff
Business
Jan 09, 2009

[color=red]On Dec. 19, Cineplex Entertainment opened Silver City Hamilton Mountain, a 10-screen, 2,000-seat multi-screen, state-of-the-art movie house in Upper Stoney Creek and closed their 10-screen, 1,534- seat Upper James Cinemas, leaving The Movie Palace as the only theatre on the Mountain.

Mr. Barker said he’s been contemplating the expansion for some time and the closure of the Upper James theatre has pushed the project forward.
I don't get it. There is still a theatre on the Mountain --- the new Silver City. It is not really much farther from The Movie Palace than was the Upper James theatre.

Old Posted Jan 12, 2009, 12:55 AM
It's Hammer Time

That article came from Hamilton Mountain News, which they focus on Hamilton Mountain.

Hamilton Mountain proper ends East of Nebo Road, it's all industrial after that. East of the industrial end is Upper Stoney Creek. So technically Hamilton Mountain has no theatre since the closer of Upper James.

If we had the old City of Hamilton pre-amalgamation the theatre at Upper Stoney Creek would require approval from Stoney Creek's City Hall.

Old Posted Jan 12, 2009, 1:53 AM

Quote:
That article came from Hamilton Mountain News, which they focus on Hamilton Mountain.

Hamilton Mountain proper ends East of Nebo Road, it's all industrial after that. East of the industrial end is Upper Stoney Creek. So technically Hamilton Mountain has no theatre since the closer of Upper James.

If we had the old City of Hamilton pre-amalgamation the theatre at Upper Stoney Creek would require approval from Stoney Creek's City Hall.
Previous or existing municipal jurisdictions are irrelevant. No vacuum has been created by the departure of Upper James --- it has been replaced by a new theatre that is relatively close by. I do not know why The Movie Palace guy thinks otherwise. The driving distance between the old theatre and the new one is probably barely five minutes.

Old Posted Jan 12, 2009, 1:57 AM
It's Hammer Time

The point is "The Movie Palace as the only theatre on the Mountain."

Old Posted Jan 12, 2009, 1:59 AM

Quote:
The point is "The Movie Palace as the only theatre on the Mountain."
That may be your point, but my point is that I cannot see how the following comment about the closure pushing expansion forward is true:

"Mr. Barker said he’s been contemplating the expansion for some time and the closure of the Upper James theatre has pushed the project forward. "

Old Posted Jan 12, 2009, 2:39 AM
It's Hammer Time

Project is moving forward because "The Movie Palace as the only theatre on the Mountain".

Old Posted Jan 12, 2009, 4:24 AM

OK, I give up.

Old Posted Jan 12, 2009, 6:35 AM

Quote:
Project is moving forward because "The Movie Palace as the only theatre on the Mountain".
SteelTown you really love to quote things. All I really see is you copying and pasting today's Spectator into neat little threads. Even your bullet point responses are quotations. Not an attack, just an observation. When will we get to know the real SteelTown?

Old Posted Jan 12, 2009, 12:37 PM
It's Hammer Time

I pretty much express my views in most threads. It's pretty clear what I think of Mayor Fred for example.

For the above it was repeated since a poster asked why the Movie Palace expansion is moving forward and quoting the article is the easiest.

Old Posted Feb 8, 2009, 4:25 AM

The Movie Palace - Tonight

My wife and I, went to Coraline at The Movie Palace tonight and enjoyed the movie and the quirkiness of the theatre.

I'm big on supporting locally owned and operated businesses, and was disappointed by the low attendance for an opening weekend film. At the 8:45pm showing there were perhaps 20 people in the theatre.

Please everyone, make an effort to support these locally owned and operated businesses. In these tougher economic times, it's more important than ever.

Old Posted Feb 8, 2009, 6:40 PM
It's Hammer Time

It's a really good theatre when special movies come out like Harry Potter where people dress up. Wait for the new Star Trek movie comes out, people will line up and get all dressed up.

Old Posted Feb 10, 2009, 12:43 AM

I'd like to see the movie palace hosting some obscure films and documentaries - something a little different form the stuff already available at silver city. i also think westdale cinema should focus on that...

Old Posted Feb 10, 2009, 3:06 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by coalminecanary View Post
I'd like to see the movie palace hosting some obscure films and documentaries - something a little different form the stuff already available at silver city. i also think westdale cinema should focus on that...
Agreed. It might be a tough sell at first, but based on my observation on Saturday night, any more than 20 people would be a positive.

Cult and classic movies would also be great idea. Perhaps some themed series, i.e. Westerns - High Noon, Shane, Unforgiven or Orson Welles - Citizen Kane, The Magnificent Ambersons, A Touch of Evil.

Or how about a Hitchcock series!! A B-Movie series, The Blob, Creature from the Black Lagoon. The list goes on.

I'd love to see Lawrence of Arabia on the big screen.

Old Posted Feb 10, 2009, 2:33 PM

these places should have a room with a digital projector in addition to film. Have one "feature" on the reels that plays the prime 9pm slot and fill the rest of the day with a rotation of indies, film fest favourites, cult classics, theme weekends and things like that - all running form the digital projector which makes it easy to switch movies in a matter of seconds.

these days you need to do way more than just having the latest blockbuster on the reel.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Ontario > Hamilton > Urban, Urban Design & Heritage Issues