HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Ontario > Hamilton > Culture, Dining, Sports & Recreation

Old Posted Mar 18, 2008, 7:47 PM
Closed account

Quote:
Originally Posted by SteelTown View Post
You own the place?!
note to self: never go back to O Ultra Lounge!

Old Posted Mar 18, 2008, 7:51 PM

An Italian restaurant on King St. in Dundas just closed. I never ate there, but I looked at the menu, it had fine dining prices (every entree was over $20) but the decor was more like a family restaurant (ie: no style). The prices didn't match the looks of the place. That might be why it closed. That or because I never ate there.

Old Posted Mar 18, 2008, 7:59 PM
It's Hammer Time

I always thought the O lounge was a swingers place lol

Old Posted Mar 18, 2008, 8:00 PM
Closed account

La Cantina - Walnut St. Amazing Italian food. One of the best restos in the city.
Acclamation Bar and Grill - James North. Portueguese and bar menu. Fresh, local food, cooked on premise.
Bread and Roses Cafe - King William St. Won an award as best organic resto in Canada last year. Fresh, local food. Plan B Organic Farms has a market here on Saturdays at 10:00.
The Corktown Pub - pub grub, but much better than the chains. Local food sources used as much as possible - meat from Reardons Deli, bread from Bonanza Bakery.

Old Posted Mar 18, 2008, 9:56 PM
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by DC83 View Post
note to self: never go back to O Ultra Lounge!
My understanding is that it doesn't draw a large crowd from Hamilton anyway.

We aren't home to a real clubbing bunch, I think locals enjoy places like Joe Buttinsky's much better.

Old Posted Mar 18, 2008, 10:00 PM
Closed account

Quote:
Originally Posted by Goldfinger View Post
My understanding is that it doesn't draw a large crowd from Hamilton anyway.

We aren't home to a real clubbing bunch, I think locals enjoy places like Joe Buttinsky's much better.

actually, you're wrong on that one. Hamilton has a great nightlife/clubbing scene. but nobody in their right mind would go to Upper James for a Friday night on the town! haha. (under 55 anyhow) If this 'O' place is supposed to be so great, they should have put it downtown and it would be packed. Upper James you need fastfood or trash like Frisco's to make a go of it.

Old Posted Mar 18, 2008, 10:09 PM
Hammer'd

His point still stands though. Unfortunately most locals here do prefer a place like Joe Butt's. I was so happy when I saw the windows of that place all taped up with a liquor license violation in the window.

Now of course they're open again and the same clientèle is back. The potential for an awesome dining establishment or pub there... argh.
"Above all, Hamilton must learn to think like a city, not a suburban hybrid where residents drive everywhere. What makes Hamilton interesting is the fact it's a city. The sprawl that surrounds it, which can be found all over North America, is running out of time."

Old Posted Mar 18, 2008, 11:27 PM
It's Hammer Time

Just thinking about the panzerotti at Cafe Palazzo forced me to have it for dinner lol

Yum yum!

Old Posted Mar 19, 2008, 2:49 AM
Closed account

Quote:
Originally Posted by matt602 View Post
His point still stands though. Unfortunately most locals here do prefer a place like Joe Butt's. I was so happy when I saw the windows of that place all taped up with a liquor license violation in the window.

Now of course they're open again and the same clientèle is back. The potential for an awesome dining establishment or pub there... argh.
I guess it depends on who you hang out with.
I don't know one person who would ever go near Joe Butts. It's the same dozen guys hanging around out front everytime I walk by. I think this is a gross stereotype of Hamilton. the majority of downtown residents would prefer the Corktown, Acclamation, Bronzies or pretty much any other place in the downtown over this dive.
I'd like to know if anyone on this board has been to Joe Butts, and if so, did you ever go back (besides Goldfinger who is obviously a regular )?

Old Posted Mar 19, 2008, 2:52 AM
Closed account

some more great eats:

Bronzies Place - James South. Friggin brilliant. That's all that needs to be said.
Pepperjack Cafe - King William St. Local food from the farmers market. Awesome menu and great summertime patio.
The Pheasant Plucker - Augusta strip. One of my favourite pubs in town. Great wings (NY Style, not the breaded!) nachos and other pub grub.
Slainte Irish Pub - Bowen St. Awesome pub. Friday night mussel bar is fabulous.

Old Posted Mar 19, 2008, 3:34 AM
Registered Drug User

Quote:
Originally Posted by HAMRetrofit View Post
Sapporos Japanese Restaurant at Main and Catharine.
Has this place changed ownership? Back in 2004 it was still run by Hong Kong Chinese and the food was absolutely awful. Went twice, just to be sure. The nigiri had a vomitously rancid buttery flavour to the rice, and the buffet was a lukewarm and stale affair.

I'm amazed it's still in business, though I do recall that there were no Asian faces in there the two times we went. For your average non-Japanese person Korean-made sushi is generally up to par (Japanese people, of course, hate it when Koreans open Japanese places), but once you leave the competent hands of Japanese and Korean-run sushi restaurants it's touch and go. Does Hamilton have a Japanese-run place anymore? There was that very nice place on Queenston Road near Eastgate a few years back (they also had a place in Niagara Falls), but it closed. Shame.

Edit: That place on Queenston was called Mori Mori. It was the best sushi in Hamilton. Hoya is quite serviceable, certainly, though it's a bit touch and go. We were starved for sushi when we lived in Hamilton and would end up going to Hoya if we couldn't get to Toronto, and it was usually okay.

Last edited by rousseau; Mar 19, 2008 at 4:28 AM.

Old Posted Mar 19, 2008, 4:12 AM

For sushi, you have to go to Hoya on King st. It's run by chef who knows what he's doing. Some of the new sushi buffet places have kids cutting up the fish.
For Indian, I would say Mahal at Gore park is the best. It's also got a great big window to enjoy while eating
For Korean it is Barame bune on Jarvis. The barbecue with lettuce wrap is amazing
For Chinese, go to Harvest Moon on James north and order the black pepper beef, the chinese brocolli and the fried shrimp
Ancaster is starving for good food as is Dundas. Went to Outback last week, it was just awful

Old Posted Mar 19, 2008, 4:38 AM
Pro Urban Degenerate

Quote:
Originally Posted by rousseau View Post
Has this place changed ownership? Back in 2004 it was still run by Hong Kong Chinese and the food was absolutely awful. Went twice, just to be sure. The nigiri had a vomitously rancid buttery flavour to the rice, and the buffet was a lukewarm and stale affair.

I'm amazed it's still in business, though I do recall that there were no Asian faces in there the two times we went. For your average non-Japanese person Korean-made sushi is generally up to par (Japanese people, of course, hate it when Koreans open Japanese places), but once you leave the competent hands of Japanese and Korean-run sushi restaurants it's touch and go. .
There is no buffet. There is an all you can eat menu though. If you visit, you can see the chefs up front. I am sure you can ask them what decent they are.

I would say it is about on par with what you get at Sushi Island here in Toronto. I was there two weeks ago and the crowd was entirely Asian except for one other table. On a Saturday there was a line up to get in.

Last edited by HAMRetrofit; Mar 19, 2008 at 5:32 AM.

Old Posted Mar 19, 2008, 4:59 AM
Closed account

given the miniscule number of japanese in hamilton, good, authentic japanese food is hard to find. i've heard mori mori is a good choice, though.

if indian's your pleasure, then HIMALYA should be your joint. the location sucks, 160 centennial parkway north but the food rules - punjabi, vegetarian fare. it's the most authentic restaurant i've found outside the subcontinent...and it's cheap to boot.

if you'd like to try an interesting twist on chinese food, AFFINITY should be right up your alley. located at 87 john st. south, affinity serves faux meat dishes. the kung pao 'chicken' is totally rad. being a cheap bastard, my only gripe with the place is the price. i always feel as though i've spent a little too much. that said, it comes highly recommended from those who have been.

Old Posted Mar 19, 2008, 5:35 AM

sushi in taking over the core lately like shwarma did a few years back)

these just recently opened:
Kampei (where Katsuri was)
Sushi Day (beside the Pho Dau Bo on Cannon)
August 8 (used to be dim sum)
and
Sushi Star (catharine and king and I guess now not so recent)

There is a Korean place by Jarvis square called "Bare Bune: As the Wind Blows..." (or something close to this) that I have wanted to try simply for the name. I think they have green onion pancakes which I love.

Best Indian in the core if you aren't looking for a buffet is Gate Of India on James N (I just wish they served beer and wine still)

Papagayo has some really good mexican but I think I prefer MEX-I-CAN since it is actually quite reminiscnent of mexico.

I agree with the Bronzies comment above (great portions, great pizza too... so very cheap)

I have never been to La Piaza but it looks tempting but a little to classy for me.

I used to like One Duke I am not such a big fan since they returned not sure why.

I have yet to try Boo's Bistro or the one on Forest and James S yet... (it's too close to Bronzies for me to get that far)

LASTLY, these are not fine dining but are gems in our city:
Nabils ...in the same plaza as August 8 (middle eastern a la iraq)
Curry Cabana home of the amazing pumpkin roti.
Perfect Plate ...Hamilton city centre food court
and I have to say it...
The National Pizza at King and James.... Fantastic pizza for slices and a great familty that owns and operates.

ok I am done...

Old Posted Mar 19, 2008, 6:56 AM
Hammer'd

Another vote for National Pizza from me. Freaking awesome slices. Don't forget to pour on the sauce.
"Above all, Hamilton must learn to think like a city, not a suburban hybrid where residents drive everywhere. What makes Hamilton interesting is the fact it's a city. The sprawl that surrounds it, which can be found all over North America, is running out of time."

Old Posted Mar 19, 2008, 11:22 AM
Closed account

Quote:
Originally Posted by ihateittoo View Post
sushi in taking over the core lately like shwarma did a few years back)

these just recently opened:
Kampei (where Katsuri was)
Sushi Day (beside the Pho Dau Bo on Cannon)
August 8 (used to be dim sum)
and
Sushi Star (catharine and king and I guess now not so recent)

There is a Korean place by Jarvis square called "Bare Bune: As the Wind Blows..." (or something close to this) that I have wanted to try simply for the name. I think they have green onion pancakes which I love.

Best Indian in the core if you aren't looking for a buffet is Gate Of India on James N (I just wish they served beer and wine still)

Papagayo has some really good mexican but I think I prefer MEX-I-CAN since it is actually quite reminiscnent of mexico.

I agree with the Bronzies comment above (great portions, great pizza too... so very cheap)

I have never been to La Piaza but it looks tempting but a little to classy for me.

I used to like One Duke I am not such a big fan since they returned not sure why.

I have yet to try Boo's Bistro or the one on Forest and James S yet... (it's too close to Bronzies for me to get that far)

LASTLY, these are not fine dining but are gems in our city:
Nabils ...in the same plaza as August 8 (middle eastern a la iraq)
Curry Cabana home of the amazing pumpkin roti.
Perfect Plate ...Hamilton city centre food court
and I have to say it...
The National Pizza at King and James.... Fantastic pizza for slices and a great familty that owns and operates.

ok I am done...

I second this entire list....awesome. Especially Nabils, Papagayo and Gate of India.

Old Posted Mar 19, 2008, 2:35 PM
Registered Drug User

Quote:
Originally Posted by the dude View Post
if indian's your pleasure, then HIMALYA should be your joint. the location sucks, 160 centennial parkway north but the food rules - punjabi, vegetarian fare. it's the most authentic restaurant i've found outside the subcontinent...and it's cheap to boot.
Yes, Himalya is excellent. Too bad it's way out there, but I'm guessing that there are more south Asian immigrants out that way.

Old Posted Mar 19, 2008, 3:16 PM
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by the dude View Post
given the miniscule number of japanese in hamilton, good, authentic japanese food is hard to find. i've heard mori mori is a good choice, though.
Mori Mori was great, the owners were actual Japanese people right from Japan. The one that used to be in the upper food court a JS was great. I really miss it.

Old Posted Mar 19, 2008, 3:21 PM
BANNED

As far as great pizza goes. If someone here wants to make a fortune, open a restaraunt with a coal fired pizza oven. As far as i know, you would be the only one in Canada.

Real Pizza, i.e. what you would find in Naples, Italy is cooked in open ovens using coal. It provides tremendous amounts of heat to cook it quickly and gives it a much better texture and less greasy flavor.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Ontario > Hamilton > Culture, Dining, Sports & Recreation