HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Atlantic Provinces > Halifax > Halifax Peninsula & Downtown Dartmouth

Old Posted Jan 22, 2022, 4:58 AM

[Halifax] Waverley Inn (1266 Barrington) | 28 m | 10 fl | On Hold

The long rumoured redevelopment of the Waverley Inn at 1266 Barrington Street is now heading through the approval process. As per Old South Suburb Heritage rules the first step is for approval of the substantial heritage alterations. The heritage building will be restored but the rear addition will be removed. The new addition will be a modern 10-storey building to the rear and south. This will add approximately 113 new rooms to the inn.

Case H00519 - Substantial Alteration to the Contributing Heritage Resource at 1266 Barrington Street, Halifax (rendering below can be found in this report).

Old Posted Jan 22, 2022, 4:43 PM
hähnchenbrüstfiletstüc

Thanks for posting. I think this one is great.

If you look at the report the building is missing a bunch of original details and they will restore a lot of those like the cupola and side windows. It is a nice heritage building today that adds some character to the block but clearly could be much better still, true of many heritage buildings in the city.

To my eyes the tower in behind and next to it doesn't detract at all and if anything ties it in better with the building next door. The parkade entrance is a bit unfortunate but it's better than the parking lot that's there now. I like the 60's/70's styling of the new portion. Also like how slender it is along the Barrington frontage.

This stretch of Barrington needs 8 or 10 projects like this and then it will be really eclectic, packed with architectural interest, and have enough density to be decently busy with lots of businesses. I'm interested to see the rumoured Elmwood proposal (I hope it's more like this one and not like say Summer Gardens that left only a stripped down facade).

Old Posted Jan 22, 2022, 5:13 PM

It'll be interesting to see this slim tower wedged in between the Waverley and the Thompson (which I've always quite liked for its mid-century panache). That'll make for an eclectic of fairly dense buildings on narrow footprints. Good to see.

I would really love to see the building from 1272-76 get some kind of restoration next.

Old Posted Jan 22, 2022, 5:35 PM
Wildcats Rule!!

Interesting juxtaposition - I like it!

Old Posted Jan 27, 2022, 4:34 PM

I like it too. Way better than the old "it's in the way, so tear it down" modus operandi of recent years past.

As an aside, I find it interesting that the rendering has a well-drawn '64 or '65 Thunderbird on the street rather than the usual mix of Audis and Porsches... maybe I read too much into things, but to me it seems like a clue that this project is coming from a different mindset than is typical for Halifax.

Old Posted Jan 27, 2022, 4:42 PM
hähnchenbrüstfiletstüc

Quote:
Originally Posted by OldDartmouthMark View Post
As an aside, I find it interesting that the rendering has a well-drawn '64 or '65 Thunderbird on the street rather than the usual mix of Audis and Porsches... maybe I read too much into things, but to me it seems like a clue that this project is coming from a different mindset than is typical for Halifax.
And there is not a single Gucci store in sight.

Nor do we see a zombie pushing a stroller into traffic.

Old Posted Jan 27, 2022, 4:49 PM
Jelly Bean Sandwich

Love it! This is the kind of development the South End needs. Mid rise, so no one gets ticked off, and saves the heritage of "old" Halifax. (So no one gets ticked off)

Old Posted Jan 27, 2022, 7:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jstaleness View Post
Mid rise, so no one gets ticked off
Well, almost no one. I see the Heritage Trust is predictably apoplectic. Per The Herald...er, Saltwire:

"Andrew Murphy, president of the Heritage Trust of Nova Scotia, said the proposal is another example of an inappropriate addition to a heritage building. In a phone interview Monday, Murphy said the addition wouldn’t fit the context of the old architecture and is far too big.

The city’s standards say the new addition must be subordinate to the heritage building.

'Subordinate in my mind means less than, but that’s not how they’re interpreting it,”'Murphy said.

In the report, staff say the new addition won’t displace the character-defining elements of the Waverley. The addition’s uniform materials and appearance of the addition sitting behind the Waverley achieve subordination, they wrote.

Murphy said it’s good that the developer is retaining the original building but there’s a cost to that. Cities that have been well preserved like Quebec City or Paris are huge tourist destinations.

'But Halifax everyday is beginning to look more and more like Mississauga, (Ont.),' he said."

Far too big! So there. Harrumph.

PS - "Saltwire"...say, isn't that what NSPI likes to blame power outages on?

Old Posted Jan 27, 2022, 8:39 PM

I guess "Too much like Mississauga" is the new "We're not Toronto!".

Those people are certifiable, I swear.

Old Posted Jan 27, 2022, 9:42 PM

Yeah, it's unfortunate. I used to be supportive of what they were supposed to stand for, but it seems they have crossed the line into neverneverland, leaving us with no real, effective heritage advocacy group.

Old Posted Jan 27, 2022, 9:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Keith P. View Post
I guess "Too much like Mississauga" is the new "We're not Toronto!"
Bizarrely, had Saberi ever actually built the Twisted Sisters, Murphy might have had a point. I wonder if he's ever seen Absolute World...

Old Posted Mar 23, 2022, 7:06 PM

Unanimous approval by council:

https://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/nova-...reet-1.6394062

Quote:
Halifax regional council voted unanimously in favour of a proposal to restore the front section of the Waverley Inn on Barrington Street and add a 10-storey addition to the rear of the property.

The project includes replacing a south-side breakfast room and a cupola that had been covered up or removed, the reinstatement of two Corinthian columns and repairing architectural detailing on doors and windows.

"We're excited for the Waverley, we plan on being the long-term owners and operators," said Jordan Ghosn, one of the partners with Grafton Developments.

A longtime employee of the inn spoke in favour of the proposal at a public hearing held Tuesday night.

"The plan will keep the hotel viable. Offering short and long-term accommodation will give the Waverley a long and bright future," said Calvin Blades.

Old Posted Sep 30, 2022, 3:56 AM

Design Review Committee will be considering this project at a meeting next week.

This looks like a great development for this spot.

Old Posted Sep 30, 2022, 8:36 PM
Salty Town

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dmajackson View Post
Design Review Committee will be considering this project at a meeting next week.

This looks like a great development for this spot.
Couple of blank walls for sure!

Old Posted Dec 6, 2022, 2:26 PM

The Design Review Committee moved to approve this project on Oct. 5.

Quote:
Motion:
That the Design Review Committee:

1. Approve the qualitative elements of the substantive site plan approval application for a ten-storey addition to the Waverley Inn at 1266 Barrington Street, Halifax as shown in Attachment A;

2. Approve the three (3) variances to the Land Use By-law requirements regarding streetwall height, upper storey side yard stepback, and ground floor height as contained in Attachment B;

3. Accept the findings of the qualitative Wind Impact Assessment, as contained in Attachment C; and

4. Recommend the Development Officer accept the restoration of the existing heritage building as the post-bonus floor area ratio public benefit for the development as outlined in Attachment D.
https://www.halifax.ca/city-hall/boa...view-committee

Old Posted Dec 8, 2022, 4:36 PM

Has there been any activity on this site yet?

Old Posted Apr 2, 2023, 5:01 PM

The development permit has been submitted for this project;

1266 BARRINGTON STREET - $12.5M - 87 UNITS - 10 FLOORS - RESIDENTIAL USE

Old Posted Nov 10, 2023, 2:48 PM

New Supportive Housing for Women, Gender-Diverse People Experiencing Homelessness
Community Services

November 10, 2023 - 9:38 AM
Women and gender-diverse people experiencing homelessness will soon have a dedicated, long-term supportive housing option in Halifax Regional Municipality (HRM).

Quote:
This new site – the former Waverley Inn at 1266 Barrington St. – will support 32 women and gender-diverse people, with priority given to those on the By-Name List who are sleeping rough in HRM.

A collaboration with Grafton Developments, the Province will invest $1.9 million to support staffing, programming and leasing costs. Grafton will postpone its development plans to provide access and use of the building for at least three years.

“We continue to provide a variety of supports for people experiencing homelessness,” said Trevor Boudreau, Minister of Community Services. “This partnership is another great example of how the private sector is supporting government to help our most vulnerable Nova Scotians.”

YWCA Halifax will provide 24/7 on-site support, which could include referrals to mental health and addictions counselling, employment services, skills training and more. Length of stay and services offered will be based on the needs of the tenants of the supportive housing program.

The site is expected to open in December.

Government of Nova Scotia Press Release

Old Posted Nov 10, 2023, 5:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dmajackson View Post
New Supportive Housing for Women, Gender-Diverse People Experiencing Homelessness
Community Services

November 10, 2023 - 9:38 AM
Women and gender-diverse people experiencing homelessness will soon have a dedicated, long-term supportive housing option in Halifax Regional Municipality (HRM).

Government of Nova Scotia Press Release
Too bad, but it genuinely sounds like a temporary delay, for a good reason. The Ghosns get some rent from the province and possibly get to wait out a period of pricey construction costs.

Old Posted Nov 10, 2023, 5:16 PM
hähnchenbrüstfiletstüc

Quote:
Originally Posted by Drybrain View Post
Too bad, but it genuinely sounds like a temporary delay, for a good reason. The Ghosns get some rent from the province and possibly get to wait out a period of pricey construction costs.
These things often become permanent though.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Atlantic Provinces > Halifax > Halifax Peninsula & Downtown Dartmouth