HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Ontario > Hamilton > Downtown & City of Hamilton

Old Posted Jan 23, 2022, 5:51 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheHonestMaple View Post
It's crazy how hard the media worked to vilify Bernier and his new party. Literally nothing about that party's platform is 'xenophobic' , 'racist' or 'full of hate'. The media these days has gone off the rails
theyve found a way to weaponize questioning dangerous things that should be common sense to consider dangerous - its all intentionally done - have the people who are emotionally vulnerable hunt you down - worked in the witch trials, it works now.

I would have voted ppc except for the unfortunate side effect that anything other than a 2 party system only works to splinter the vote and caused you know who to maintain power. I waited till the end to see how the polling numbers were and it wasnt good for the ppc and conservatives were just barely losing to liberal so I felt might as well focus on the greater threat and not just have a virtue signaling vote. Thus I voted conservative - its a sad reality but politics is generally a 2 party system when it boils down to it - everything else is allowed to be fringe because it doesn't have to seriously put itself in the spotlight.

Old Posted Jan 23, 2022, 6:22 AM

Approximately 80% of hamilton’s population is made up of white people - imagine it just remaining a very white city? no thanks. Diversity is what makes Toronto so unique and special. I also believe without growth hamilton would most definitely become truly unaffordable faster. It’s funny how people want the amenities and infrastructure that come with living in a big city.

Old Posted Jan 23, 2022, 12:50 PM
Exiled Hamiltonian Gal

Quote:
It's crazy how hard the media worked to vilify Bernier and his new party. Literally nothing about that party's platform is 'xenophobic' , 'racist' or 'full of hate'. The media these days has gone off the rails
Yeah, completely baseless…

Quote:
The former leader of a U.S. neo-Nazi group, a former Soldiers of Odin member and a Pegida Canada official were among those whose signatures were submitted to Elections Canada last year to officially register the People’s Party of Canada, records show.
https://globalnews.ca/news/5929770/f...a-signatories/

As for having better transit back in the day, it’s no surprise. The economy was booming and the city was growing rapidly, while we didn’t have aging infrastructure and kilometre after kilometre of sprawl to pay for, as well as the ‘me first’ autocentric society that sprung up during the 20th century.

Old Posted Jan 23, 2022, 1:41 PM

I mean, the Liberal Leader/Prime Minister literally wore black face on multiple occasions...

Old Posted Jan 23, 2022, 2:54 PM

A quick google search revealed that 22000 people signed that lol. So three out of twenty two thousands made the headlines because it plays perfectly into the narrative.

I'm completely against racism and xenophobia. Hell I have an immigrant background. But you're clearly just falling for exactly what the media wants you to. They're doing an excellent job dividing Canadians when we need unity the most. I didn't even vote PPC, but if you look at their platform it's completely the opposite of what the media portrays them as. I think it's unfair, and they've done Bernier dirty.

Old Posted Jan 23, 2022, 8:02 PM
Burger Connoisseur

Quote:
I think it's unfair, and they've done Bernier dirty.
Bernier did Bernier dirty not the media (his own actions and words). PPC is the party of hate and anti-science and they proudly wear those banners! Thankfully they are nothing but a fringe party and will stay that way!

Honestly I hope that Andrea Horwath steps down from the Ontario NDP lets some fresh blood run that party and I would love to see her run and probably easily win a Hamilton Mayoral race!

Old Posted Jan 23, 2022, 9:17 PM

It's 2022, any time you disagree with someone's position on a personal level you can dismiss it as 'hateful' and 'anti-science'. Discourse and rational debate is dead.

I've thoroughly read through Bernier's platform and watched a number of his speeches prior to the election in an effort to better inform myself on all the candidates. When you say anti-science i'm assuming you're referring to his position on covid-19 and vaccines. He seems, from what i've seen, to be against vaccine mandates and pro personal choice. They also question the efficacy and legality of the lockdowns, which I think is more than fair (we need to be able to have open and honest conversations on decisions that hugely impact our way of life). Their party seems to lean more libertarian than anything else, although they have been (wrongly and unfairly IMO) labelled 'extreme right'. When it comes to hate, people seem to claim him and his party are extreme xenophobes. That also doesn't seem to be accurate. The party itself is actually pro immigration, but they want a moratorium on the current levels. Also, i'd hardly call them fringe at this point and they don't appear to be going anywhere. They got 5% of the popular vote last election (double the Green Party) and it's only their second year running. Technically the most successful party in Canadian history when you look at how quickly they've grown.

Old Posted Jan 23, 2022, 10:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by StEC View Post
Bernier did Bernier dirty not the media (his own actions and words). PPC is the party of hate and anti-science and they proudly wear those banners! Thankfully they are nothing but a fringe party and will stay that way!

Honestly I hope that Andrea Horwath steps down from the Ontario NDP lets some fresh blood run that party and I would love to see her run and probably easily win a Hamilton Mayoral race!
People frequently say this yet never follow up with evidence. What suggests they are a party of hate and anti-science?

Also: this thread is getting WAY off topic lol

Old Posted Jan 23, 2022, 10:57 PM
Exiled Hamiltonian Gal

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hawrylyshyn View Post
People frequently say this yet never follow up with evidence. What suggests they are a party of hate and anti-science?
The blatant disregard for climate science and parroting the ‘oh we’re still not sure what’s causing it’ lies that oil companies have been making up since the 1970s while thousands die in heat domes and entire towns are wiped off map by fires.

Or being pro ‘vaccine choice’ which means pro ‘forced lockdown or death for those with other conditions*’.

AKA the ‘ostrich with its head in the sand’ party on both of the most pressing issues facing our society today.

*other conditions including such ”rare” things as being diabetic or having asthma or, according to some research, being short

Old Posted Jan 24, 2022, 2:25 AM

This whole vaccinated vs unvaccinated thing the government is pushing is a pretty obvious ploy to distract us from their own failings. They had two years to increase hospital capacity, but i'm supposed to believe a tiny minority of people are overwhelming our modern G7 universal healthcare system? Come on people.

Old Posted Jan 24, 2022, 2:43 PM
Ham-burgher

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hawrylyshyn View Post
Also: this thread is getting WAY off topic lol
Yep. Moderators will bring it back in line though, if needed.

So... in that vein, about Hamilton - What do we want it to become? I don't want it to be a Toronto-lite, there will be enough of those, but after decades of little to no progress I'd like to see a vibrant downtown with many new buildings (maybe not 80 storeys, but a bunch of 30+, a few 40s, maybe a 60 or two ); denser suburban areas especially among the older areas of the mountain, Stoney Creek, Dundas, and Waterdown; a fully redeveloped harbourfront, including the CN yard; barren and under-used industrial lands north of Barton repurposed for new industry, much of it cleaner than before. That's not all, but it's a start for my visioning.

Old Posted Jan 24, 2022, 3:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ScreamingViking View Post
Yep. Moderators will bring it back in line though, if needed.

So... in that vein, about Hamilton - What do we want it to become? I don't want it to be a Toronto-lite, there will be enough of those, but after decades of little to no progress I'd like to see a vibrant downtown with many new buildings (maybe not 80 storeys, but a bunch of 30+, a few 40s, maybe a 60 or two ); denser suburban areas especially among the older areas of the mountain, Stoney Creek, Dundas, and Waterdown; a fully redeveloped harbourfront, including the CN yard; barren and under-used industrial lands north of Barton repurposed for new industry, much of it cleaner than before. That's not all, but it's a start for my visioning.
I agree with a lot of this.

I don’t want Hamilton to be scoffed at for being lower class. Downtown needs a full revitalization as does Barton, Canon, and pretty much every North/south arterial east of James Street.

I want to maintain our suburbs while allowing sensible infill where infrastructure can accommodate it.

On the social side, I don’t want Hamilton to be a dumping ground for neighbouring municipalities to offload their homeless people nor do I want junkies, period.

Old Posted Jan 25, 2022, 12:10 AM

Couldn't agree with both people above more.

I also want our heritage to be respected and not bulldozed (or raped) - adaptive reuse is fine - but I also want more pride to be taken in the architectural additions to our city -the majority of this city is still like over a century old building wise and I don't want to see it all replaced by bland architecture that all looks the same and prioritizes function over form and treats form like an afterthought.

I've seen some nice stuff when it comes to respecting existing heritage but I'd like to see more gaps filled with relatable styles. I have had disappointing areas that I've spent plenty of time discussing in other threads so I won't rehash it here - but I honestly feel a nice combination of heritage styled podium and modern condo on top is the best combination in this city.

Also yeah probably a bad idea to bring up politics- so many opinionated.. opinions hehe.. As the creator of this thread I say let's get this back on track to architecture, or at least less polarizing topic hehe.. as I get it IS a general discussion thread.

Old Posted Jan 27, 2022, 5:45 PM
Concerned Citizen

Quote:
Originally Posted by onetimetoomany View Post
Approximately 80% of hamilton’s population is made up of white people - imagine it just remaining a very white city? no thanks. Diversity is what makes Toronto so unique and special. I also believe without growth hamilton would most definitely become truly unaffordable faster. It’s funny how people want the amenities and infrastructure that come with living in a big city.
Hamilton is one of the most diverse cities in the country. It is a city of immigrants. Skin colour is does not equal diversity. Diversity is defined with a wide number of indicators. Hamilton has the third highest number of foreign born citizens of any city in the country. Only Toronto and Vancouver have higher percentages.

Old Posted Jan 27, 2022, 5:46 PM
Concerned Citizen

Hamilton's CMA population hits 812,000.

https://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/hamil...JTwIO35YHSg2fU

Old Posted Mar 8, 2022, 12:38 AM

Stumbled upon an old photo of the brunswick hotel, which predated the zellers building across from the lister block - the ORIGINAL lister block I might add before the fire..

Just to give you guys an idea of what a building in this spot would look like:

End

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Ontario > Hamilton > Downtown & City of Hamilton